Town of Sparta - 1789
Livingston County, New York
You are the 91538 visitor, since 11/03/97.
1872 map of Scottsburg provided by Paul T. Culley.
|Clark||----||north part of town, off Liberty Pole Road.(hidden from road)||----|
|Kiehle(Old Dutch)||----||next to Firehouse, north of Reeds Corners||+100|
|Rau||----||off Rte.256, on Powell Road.||+50|
|Reed Corners||----||on corner of Reeds Corners Road and Strong Hill Road||+40|
|Reed Family||----||across the road from Reed Corners Cemetery||+5|
|South Sparta||----||on Rte 63, just north of village of Dansville.||+300|
|Sparta Center||----||off Rte 256, behind Town Garages in Sparta Center.||+200|
TOWN CLERK : Sheila Duffy. 8824 Dansville-Conesus Rd., Dansville, NY 14437
TOWN HISTORIAN : Mary Jo Marks, 585-335-6323
[Scottsburgh] Named from Matthew and William Scott, early settlers at this place. (back)
[about 1794] Darling Havens settled at North Sparta; John Niblack, on Lot 28; John Smith, Asa Simmons, Robert Wilson, and Thomas Hovey, previous to 1798; amd Peter Roberts, on Lot 27, in 1799. Samuel and James Rodman were early settlers. Most of these were from Penn. The first school was taught by Thomas Bohanan, in 1800-01. The first inn was kept by Darling Havens, at North Sparta, about 1800; and the first gristmill was built by Wm. D. McNair, in 1810. (back)
[6 churches.] 2 M.E., 2 Presb., Bap., and Evang. Ref. (back)