§1 Little Nine Partners (NY)
The Little Nine Partners Patent of 1706 was located in Dutchess County, NY,
adjacent to the Northern neighbor, Columbia County.
(See the map on the
The patentees were:
- Sampson Broughton
- Rip Van Dam - whose father was a New York City alderman in 1695
- Thomas Wenham
- Roger Mompesson
- Peter Fauconnier
- Augustine Graham2
- Richard Sackett
- the first white settler in Amenia
- Robert Lurting
- George Clarke
Dr. MacCracken refers to this group as "far more distinguished" than the
Nine Partners of the Great patent.
The Little Nine Partners Patent was issued 10 Apr
Pine Plains History
From the book "General History of Dutchess County from 1609 to 1876, Inclusive" by Philip H. Smith;
History of the Town of Northeast--Part 1
Northeast was formed in part from the L9P Patent. From chapter XXI of the James H. Smith "History of Dutchess County" (1882).
The Highland King Nimhammaw and the Native Indian Proprietors of Land in Dutchess County, NY: 1712-1765
Nimhammaw, the first of four Wappinger or Highland leaders to bear similar names, was initially mentioned in Hudson Valley records as an Indian "Sachem" or "King" living in Dutchess County between 1712 and 1744. [ARCHIVE]
The Violets Of Dutchess County
For over 90 years, every spring, the towns of Poughkeepsie, Milan, Red Hook and Rhinebeck produced what was then called the "purple thunderstorm" spreading to other counties and cities, and in the golden years, earning this region almost one million dollars in annual revenue.
NYDUTCHE-L: Little Nine Partners
The beginning of a rather long thread on the Dutchess County message board at RootsWeb. Discussion hits a number of topics.
Surnames of Early Pine Plains Residents
An excerpt from History of Little Nine Partners of Northeast Precinct and Pine Plains, New York, Duchess County published in 1897 by Dutchess County historian and genealogist Isaac Huntting.
- Seymour Smith
benefactor of Seymour Smith Academy
- Isaac Huntting
that were part of the Little Nine Partners Patent
- Town of Milan
Poughkeepsie Journal Communities
After more than 100 years as The Stone Church, this Red Hook church is now called the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Peter the Apostle. Within the walls of the present day church, stood the first church, built in 1730 by the Palatine Settlers. [ARCHIVE]
- Town of Northeast
- Town of Pine Plains
Dutchess County Tourism (tour 1)
Rhinebeck, Red Hook and Milan. Milan was in the L9P Patent.
Dutchess County Tourism (tour 6)
Pine Plains, Northeast, Amenia, Washington, Stanford. Pine Plains and parts of Northeast were in the L9P Patent.
- Bibliographic, Link Farms, & Suites
Notes: (Click the << symbols to return to the text — or use your browser's BACK button.)
- << Huntting, Isaac; History of Little Nine Partners of North East Precinct and Pine Plains, New York, Duchess [sic] County; Amenia, NY: Chas. Walsh & Co. Printers. 1897; pp.11-16
- << MacCracken: James Graham
- << His father was Claes Ripse Van Dam, who was elected alderman of the second ward beginning in 1689. [Claes Ripse Van Dam; by Stefan Bielinski]
- << MacCracken, Dr. Henry Noble, Olde Dutchess Forever, NY 1956; p.52
Table of Contents
Great Nine Partners (NY)
© Copyright 2002, 2011
All Rights Reserved
The Little Nine Partners Historical Society
P.O. Box 243
Pine Plains, NY 12567
Sat Oct 1 2011 at 2:11:54pm