Georgetown was formed from DeRuyter, April 7,1815. It is one of the southern towns of the County and is bounded north by Nelson, east by Lebanon, south by Chenango County and west by DeRuyter.
Thomas Ludlow, jr., of New York City, received the patent for the Sixth Township in the "Clinton Purchase," on the 2d day of March 1793. This patent, according to the statement of the Surveyor-Genera1, contained 24,384 acres of land.
Previous to 1791, this township formed a part of the old and indefinitely bounded town of Whitestown, Montgomery County, but in this year, Herkimer was formed from Montgomery County, and in 1792, Whitestown was divided and the town of Paris was erected, which embraced a large portion of Madison County, including all those of the "Chenango Twenty Towns", which lay in its territory. Therefore at the time of Mr. Ludlow's purchase, Georgetown lay within the boundary of Paris, Herkimer County. Subsequent1y, m me formation of new towns, It became successively part of Cazenovia and DeRuyter, and only received its name of Georgetown in 1815.
Mr. Ludlow caused this town to be again surveyed in 1802, and its first settlement was made in 1803, by Mr. Ezra Sexton, from Litchfield, Connecticut.
Georgetown was at this period one unbroken forest, the bights of her hills crowned with large, straight hemlocks, sombre looking as they reared their dark forms above the spreading beech, her valleys and plateaus presenting a fine sweep of noble sugar maples, while her swamps were gloomy with their magnificent pines, whose stately forms towered far upward --- ancient monarchs of the forest; reigning with undisputed sway over the mass of tangled, struggling foliage beneath them.
The Otselic, with its branches, coursed through the town from north to south, and formed a stream of much greater power than it now presents. The pretty Indian name, " Otselic," signifies II Plum Creek." When this town was first settled, wild plums of every variety abounded. There were many species of thorn plums of different colors, sweet and sour, and larger than can now be found. All were very good as fruit food; they were used for sauce, made into pies, and preserved by drying for winter use.
The eastern branch of the Otselic, which was in the early the days the largest, had its source in Hatch's Lake; but when that lake was converted into a feeder for the Chenango Canal in 1836, the supply was cut off, and this branch now only drains the swamp land of Lots No.10, 11 and 12. The second branch has its rise in springs in the southern border of Nelson, south of Erieville; and the third, which unites with the main stream at the village, rises in the northwest comer of the town and is fed by numerous rivulets from the lofty hillsides. A fourth stream rises among the " Muller lands " and joins the main Otselic, south of the village. The borders of these branches were extremely marshy and abounded in a heavy growth of lowland shrubs. Contiguous to these marshes, extending back towards the hills, were many handsome plateaus quite free from dampness, being healthy locations, where the earliest settlers planted their homes. Back of these plateaus were the two lines of ridges which traverse this town from north to south, and which are from five to six hundred feet above the valley.
Two roads were laid out at an early day, which connected the projected settlements of Georgetown with settlements in the adjoining towns. One of them commenced at the corner of Lot 58, about a mile and a half above Georgetown village, and passing east connected with the Lebanon settlement, and is the present road passing through that district. Here, on Lot 58, near the bright, murmuring waters of the Otselic, Mr. Sexton cut the first tree, and commenced, on the 4th day of July, 1803, the first dwelling in the town of Georgetown. This most beautiful location is now the home of J. B. Wagoner and was for many years the homestead of his father, John B. Wagoner, Esq., now of Morrisville. Mr. Sexton was soon established with his family in the new domicile. The wide, wide wilderness was al1 around them, though the Lebanon settlers were not so very far off. Farther east, upon the new road leading to Lebanon, Mr. Sexton the next year cleared ten acres, which was the first lot cleared of the primeval forest in town. This was across the road from the present home of Horace Hawks, Esq.
The other road, opened about the same time, passed in a northerly and southerly course through the town, and most of the way para1le1 with the Otselic. This road connected with the settlements of Nelson, commencing at a point on the then well traveled route from Eaton to Erieville, near comer of Lot No. 9, passing over Lots 22 and 34, where there is now no road nor has been for many a year, and entering the present stage route between Eaton and Georgetown on the west side of .the lot 35, near the dwelling a house upon this lot. From thence the road passed south, and is the present Otselic valley road. Upon these routes, the first settlers built their dwellings. The year 1804 brought the pioneers John C. Payne, Bethel Hurd, Josiah Bishop and Eleazer Hunt. John C. Payne took up Lot 115, and located his residence where Mr. Loren Brown resides. He became the first innkeeper of the town. The same year Apollos Drake and Olmstead Brown came in and bought of Mr. Payne; Drake fifty acres on one side of his Lot and Brown the same on the other. Mr. Drake however did not settle till the next year. Bethel Hurd located on Lot No. 69, near where the cheese factory of Mr. Benjamin Fletcher is at present (1871,) situated. The first religious services held in town were at his house and were conducted by M r. Ezra Sexton. The first store in town was kept by a Mr. Truesdale in Bethel Hurd's house. Benjamin, Daniel, Ezra, David and Stephen, sons of Bethel Hurd, were for years settled on farms adjoining each other on this street. David, Benjamin and Stephen, resided on their farms till within a few years.1 Elijah and Detus Olmstead were the sons of Elder Olmstead, of Schodack, Rensselaer County, and were of the race of the Olmsteads of Hamilton. They did not long reside here; sickness and death in their families caused them to remove. Josiah Purdy bought out Elijah Olmstead, his location being where Wm. F. Drake now resides. Mr. Purdy was a blacksmith by trade. He was a man of good judgment and was frequently consulted in law matters; also, issues were often joined before him as umpire or arbitrator. He cleared up this farm, reared a family here, and both himself and wife lived to spend many years in the enjoyment of the fruits of their labor. They both died upon this homestead. Eleazer Hunt was from Stafford, Tolland Co., Conn. He located at the village, and was by trade both a carpenter and cabinetmaker. In 1805 Apollos Drake, Calvin Cross, Joseph P. Harrison, Matthew Hollenbeck, Berry Carter. Mitchell Atwood and William Payne came and settled. Drake was from Westford, Otsego Co. He moved early in the spring and settled immediately into house keeping in the log house he had built the year previous, when he took up his farm. On the spot where he built his primitive dwelling stands the house of his son, Theron O. Drake, the homestead having never passed from the family. In this present dwelling the pioneer and his wife both died; the wife Aurilla in 1832, and the aged settler in 1838. Mr. Drake was a prominent man in the new country, being often chosen to office in town. When Georgetown was a part of DeRuyter, he was Constable and Collector, a position of much importance at that day in the undivided territory. Theron O. Drake, the son who succeeded to the homestead, also succeeded to places of trust in town matters. Wm. F. Drake and T. Allen Drake, sons of the latter, are residents of the same part of the town.
Calvin Cross came at an early day and settled on the road leading west from the village. He was originally from Bennington, Vt., but came here from Hamilton. Mr. Cross was an expert hunter --- was known as such in Hamilton when that town was a wilderness. While a resident there, he caught a wolf in a trap he had set in the woods. He followed the tracks of the anima1, which had dragged off his trap and on coming up with it, and finding it to be a veritable wolf, whipped and beat the brute until it gave up, when he secured it by placing the trap upon its nose, and in this condition led it into the streets of Payne's Settlement, (Hamilton,) to the wonder and astonishment of the denizens of the embryo village. Mr. Cross2 and his brother killed the last bear known in Georgetown. They had tracked the beast to his hiding place in the woods, southwest of the village, where they found him under the roots of an upturned tree, and had quite an adventure in killing him.
Joseph P. Harrison settled on Lot No.57. He had three sons, Daniel, Bradford and Luther, who, as they came to manhood, located around him. Daniel resides on the homestead, and is now the only son of Joseph Harrison remaining in town.
Berry Carter settled in the south part of the town, but did not remain long a resident. He is, at a later date, recorded as living in Eaton. Wheeler Dryer, the oldest man now living in town, also located in the south part.
Matthew Ho1lenbeck, from Litchfield, Conn., located on the road leading to Lebanon, east of Mr. Sexton. His original log house stood a few rods from the residence of Mr. Horace Hawks. Near the identical spot is a barn belonging to Mr. Hawks, which was built by Matthew Hollenbeck.
Mitchell Atwood located on Lot No.46, and here built the second saw mill in town in 1806. This mill received the two most easterly branches of the Otselic. At that day a fine water power was produced by those streams, and for nearly half a century this mill did most worthy service, working up nearly all the great forest around it, little by little, shaping the great unwieldy logs into material which at this day adorns the beautiful valley of the Otselic with attractive, pleasant-looking farm houses. The old sawmill, however, has done its work, and to-day, nothing but the ruins of its foundation mark the spot. Its aged owner still lives upon the same spot where he first located, and in the house of his own building, where in his declining years he is not compelled, like many, to witness alien hands tilling the soil, and utterly changing the aspect of the home where he bas spent the most of his long life, but is passing away his existence in the family of his son-in-law, Mr. Sanford, who resides with him.
Wm. Payne's family were from Connecticut, and were connected with the Paynes who were the pioneers of Hamilton. Wm. Payne took up Lots 34 and 35, and built his first log house very near where stands the ham of the handsomely improved farm of Lot 35. In 1805, the eldest child of Wm. Payne, Weston Payne, was born, which was the first birth in town.
In consequence of the isolated situation of many of the pioneers, great inconveniences were often felt, and sometimes positive suffering. Mrs. Payne has often narrated instances of the privations experienced by them during those first years, and which increased the homesickness she was suffering, which is often part of the troubles of pioneer life. As a consequence of this, Mr. and Mrs. Payne decided to visit their native home, which they accomplished, traveling the whole distance to Connecticut and back on horseback, carrying their child with them.
Bears, wolves and deer were common then, and the swamp usually know as "Fletcher's Swamp," which was very much larger then than now, abounded in savage beasts. Mr. Payne once related a circumstance of three Indians who came to his house from their hunting encampment near the swamp. One of them was badly injured in an encounter with a bear in the swamp. His head was terribly torn and mangled. Mr. Payne attended to his wounds, and he remained a few days, when, somewhat recovered, he again went forth to rejoin his comrades in the hunt.
The first saw mill was built by Eleazer Hunt and Joab Bishop in 1805, which stood in the village near where they built the grist mill in 1806. Previous to the building of the latter, the inhabitants were compelled to get their milling done at Leland's in Eaton, making the journey by marked trees. When this mill was built there were not inhabitants enough in town to raise the frame, and men were called from Hamilton, Log City and Lebanon to help. It was at this gathering that the village of Georgetown received its former and not yet obsolete, name. One of the men from Eaton remarked that the village of his town boasted of three log houses, and they had therefore named the place it "Log City." At this, Apollos Drake broke out with the sudden exclamation, " we have three slab covered houses; this must be called "Slab City!" --- and so it was called, first for a joke; but the name has clung to the village for nearly seventy years. This name, however, is of late years gradually falling into disuse, since it "Georgetown " is better known abroad.
Messrs. Hunt & Bishop built their gristmill on the west side of the Otselic, and the present one was built entirely new on the same side, a little below, (2 rods,) by Mr. Nathan Smith. The sawmill was on the east side of the creek. The original mechanic employed to erect the gristmill was Mr. Dyer Lamb, whose death occurred recently at the residence of his son, Wilson Lamb, in New Woodstock. The original millstones are still in use; these were made from a rock found on Lot No. 113 of this town. Their continuance in service two-thirds of a century is good evidence that they have been and still are efficient. These mills are now owned by Messrs. Brown & Torpy.
The first tavern in town was kept, as has been stated, by John C. Payne. It was located on the site of the present hotel After Payne, John Holmes kept here, then David Parker, and after him Alexander McElwain. Part of this old hotel has been moved and reorganized, and is now (1871,) the dwelling house of Dr. White, on West Street.
Ezra Sexton opened the first burial ground in town on his own land, on the death of a young child of his. This was the first death in town. His wife next died arid was buried beside her child. This burial ground is near the residence of Horace Hawks, Esq., and the S. & C. railroad passes close by. It is a hallowed spot, sacred, especially to the memory of many of the pioneers whose remains repose here. The first death of the village, was a child of Mr. Parmalee, the miller of Hunt & Bishop's mill. This was the first burial in the village cemetery.
Between 1806 and 1810, many settlers came into town and located in different parts. Benjamin Bonney, David Parker, Philetus Stewart, Dea. Hanford Nichols, John Pritchard, Doctor Smith, Elijah and Alfred Brown, James McElwain, Levi Shephard, William Rhoades, Daniel Alvord, Capt. Samuel White and Elijah Jackson were the more prominent of these.
Dea. Pitts Lawrence and his wife, (formerly Widow Dixon,) who died recently in Cazenovia, aged ninety-four years, and also Elijah and David Williams settled in the south part of the town.
Benjamin Bonney located on the Lebanon road, Lot No. 60. He was from Connecticut and a relative of the Bonneys of Eaton and Hamilton. He cleared up his farm and enjoyed the fruits of his labor many years. He died in Georgetown in January 1868, at the ripe age of eighty-six.
David Parker came from Massachusetts about 1808. A Mr. West came with him. The two took up a lot and divided it. It was located on the Lebanon road. This lot is now owned by Robert Utter.
Philetus Stewart also located on the Lebanon road, on Lot No.72, where he converted his portion of the wilderness into a fine farm. Dea. Hanford Nichols settled on the same road in the east part of the town, and there was no handsomer farm around than he made of his. Peter Nichols, brother of the latter, afterwards came, and settled on the farm adjoining Mr. Atwood, on the south. His three daughters, Maria, Caroline and Betsey, married the three Harrisons, Daniel, Bradford and Luther.
John Pritchard came from near Waterbury, Conn., and settled in the Atwood neighborhood, near the creek. He afterwards bought east of there near Dea. Nichols, where he lived many years, and several of his family of children remain in town.
Doctor Smith (so named for being the seventh son,) located on Lot No. 59.
Elijah and Alfred Brown settled south of Georgetown village on farms now owned by their sons; James McElwain came before 1807, and purchased part of Lot No. 126; William Rhoades settled on Lot No.25, where Rice Wood has lived many years; Levi Shephard located in the same neighborhood; Daniel Alvord, also, settled in the northwest part of the town. Capt. Samuel White settled on Lot No.27. Edward Holmes located also in this neighborhood. His son, John Holmes, was one of the early settlers of Georgetown village. The road early opened from the village to Sheds Corners passed the locations of Rhoades, Alvord, Shephard and White.
Elijah Jackson settled on Lot No. 9, in the north part of the town, which is now owned by Jerome Childs. Members of his family reside in town. Amasa Jackson, for years a merchant in this and the adjoining town of Nelson, and recently removed to Pennsylvania, is one of his sons.
John Jackson, brother of Elijah, later took up a farm on Lot No. 22, and set out an orchard on the road which then crossed the lot. When the road was changed, which made this an inland location and is still standing and bear fruit. Subsequently, this farm was owned by Orrin Chase. On the removal of the latter it passed to the Fletchers, when it was converted into a pasture farm. All dwellings and barns ever erected upon it have passed away. One passing by its location, on the Georgetown and Erieville road, would scarcely believe that four dwellings, in which the joys and sorrows of families have alternated, have stood in different places upon this farm. A bare trace of the last one occupied remains a sunken spot of earth, a few foundation stones around it, a cluster of neglected shrubbery planted long ago by fair hands. The S. & C. railroad, following the course of the creek through this farm, sweeps away a venerable door yard for years trodden by numerous little feet, and brushes the very site of the obliterated threshold! It is thus that progress wipes out the traces of our predecessors and annihilates the old landmarks.
Ebenezer Hall came about 1812, and took up the farm on Lot No.23, now owned by C. Wagoner, known for many ears as the Fletcher farm-last owned in that family, we believe, by Isaac Fletcher.
Jesse Jerrold came in 1816, and located on Lot No.35.
John Gibson, from Cornwall, Conn., took up a farm on lot 48, and opened a new road to gain access to his wilderness home. A Mr. Allen settled on the lot adjoining him, which is now known as the Lewis Wickwire farm. The Gibson farm is now owned by Frank Wickwire.
Zadoc Hawks came in 1816, from Hawley, Franklin Co., Mass. He located on lot No. 58. Some of his sons settled about him in subsequent years. Two of these sons, only, reside in town-Horace and Israel-the former being on the homestead farm.
Nathan Benedict arrived about 1812, and settled on Lot No. 21. About 1823, the county perfected the primitive road laid out in this section, as it was considered to be a more direct route from Slab City to Erieville, thence north to Cazenovia, than had heretofore been made. This road passed over the "Benedict Hill" at the foot of which Mr. B. had built his house. Upon .the side hill he planted a noble orchard, which for many years yielded as fine fruit as the town produced. Travelers found this orchard to be a famous stopping place. The same ancient looking dwelling first built, still stands, and is occupied by his son, N. B. Benedict, who succeeded to the homestead. The old orchard is decaying, and the road which in the days of yore was so carefully kept at the county's expense, has of late years become sadly neglected, and the march of improvement has opened a more feasible route around the west side of the hill.
Louis Anathe Muller, the distinguished French refugee, purchased in the year 1808, of Daniel Ludlow, one of the Ludlow heirs, fifteen lots, each lot containing by estimate 174 acres, 2 roods and 35 perches, the whole amounting to about twenty-seven hundred acres of land, located in different parts of Georgetown, the most of it lying west of the Otselic.
After this purchase, between the years 1808 and 1810, Mr. Muller engaged in making exchanges of some of the disconnected portions of his land, for lots adjoining the main body of his estate, which was situated upon the elevated ridge through the western part of the town. He retained the land lying along the two streams, which rise in the westerly and north-westerly parts of the town and empty into the Otselic, one at Georgetown village and the other about two miles south. Those streams were at that day of no inconsiderable size, and as they rushed down the precipitous hills of this then wild region, they presented several fine mill privileges.
Muller saw the advantages these streams afforded, and having no knowledge of the value of land only as it was well crossed by streams of good water power, determined to draw his estate about them, and make them subservient to his interests. The isolated situation seemed suited to his wishes, and he forthwith devoted himself to the building up of his own village in the wilderness. The wealth he brought into this town, it is said, amounted to $150,000. He made his residence at Hamilton village during the progress of the work, which occupied two or three years. He brought with him a full retinue of his own countrymen, and employed 150 men in his work, many of whom came with him, while many of the inhabitants of Georgetown assisted him in his enterprise. He paid his workmen in gold and silver.
Near the center of his estate, about three miles west of "Slab City," as Georgetown was then called, three hundred acres of land were handsomely cleared, where he erected a spacious fortress-like dwelling, 70 feet by 30, constructed with massive sills.
The superstructure was made of hewn cherry timber, each slab or bent, about twelve inches' thick and eleven feet high, framed into the sills, each one raised closely against the other, side by side, and dove-tailed into each other by strong slats. This impenetrable wall of solid timber surrounding the whole building was well covered with clapboards, lathed and plastered inside, and most carefully finished after a style best fancied by the strange builder. The walls present a nice finish, and time has proved their durability. The building is of the European style of architecture of that time. There were originally seven fireplaces, which were trimmed with black marble. It is said that in the cellar an apartment undiscoverable by a stranger, whose secret purposes were never told, was provided. The rooms were all spacious, and adorned with rich mirrors, mahogany and other costly furniture. Superb ornaments adorned the halls, and a fine library3 ministered to the taste of the cultivated proprietor. Ail the style, surroundings and appointments of a French nobleman's residence, were arranged here in elaborate detail and with studious care.
Upon the completion of his dwelling he removed his family, consisting of a wife and child, from Hamilton, and commenced life in their adopted home. The work of improving and beautifying this wild, secluded hill, still rapidly progressed. Money was lavished and labor applied without stint. From the brook which traversed his grounds, an artificial pond was excavated, which was well stocked with fish. Avenues of fine shade trees, maples, poplars, etc. were set out, some of which arc standing to this day. A fine park was enclosed with a strong high fence or stockade, in which were kept deer, rabbits and other game. Large and convenient outbuildings were erected, whose style was in keeping with the taste which planned the house.
At the east of this palatial homestead, which is located on Lots No.75, 76, 87, 88 and 89, Muller opened a road running in nearly a northerly and southerly direction, and along the stream which rises upon his estate. Upon this stream, about one mile in a southeasterly direction from his residence, in School District No. 12, he established his village. On a portion of Lot 126, purchased by Muller of James McElwain, were the falls where he erected his grist mill, which many years ago fell into ruin, While at the present day, scarcely a vestige of its remains can be found.
This village consisted of many dwellings, a storehouse and two stores. Muller invited artisans and mechanics, and gave them advantages to induce them to establish here, and thus he built up a considerable trade in many branches. John Passon Bronder and Modeste Del Campo, in company kept the first store. A short time after, James C. Winter opened another store in competition. These men came with Muller from France. From Mr. Passon Bronder this place was called " Bronder Hollow," which name it still retains. One of the stores and the storehouse were standing near together. The latter is still in existence, having been converted into a horse barn, belonging to Mr. Samuel Stone, who owns a farm here.
More than two miles east of his residence, on the stream which enters Georgetown village from the northwest, on the northeast corner of Lot 78, Muller built a sawmill, which has now nothing of it remaining.
When all these were completed, Muller set himself to the work of assiduously cultivating and bringing forth the capacities of this rather sterile region. He endeavored to extend every branch of horticulture, and planted many varieties of rich fruits, but for want of knowledge in the qualities of the soil, he allowed the gravel and hardpan removed in the excavation of the fish pond, to be leveled over the grounds, which rendered it unproductive, and horticulture did not thrive.
In his family arrangements, peace and contentment seemed constant companions, and enlarged benevolence marked his conduct; the sick and the needy found their fevered pulses soothed by personal attentions, and the means for supplying all reasonable wants. In business matters he was prompt and decided, and all persons employed by him were early taught to feel his unflinching, unwavering spirit; any indication of laziness, or inattention to duties required, was followed by prompt dismissal, and never could any dismissed person obtain employment from him again. He required obedience like a man accustomed to military command. He often brought the latest newspapers into the field among the workmen, and, gathering them all about him, read to them the news of the day; but the moment he observed his audience, or any part of it, inattentive, or indulging in any byplay, he immediately folded his paper, and commanded them all to their posts of labor. He was deeply interested in the struggle of the Americans with the British in 1812, and warmly commended the valor of the Americans in that contest.
However, among his workmen, he rarely found one to whom he freely expressed his opinions on the prominent political movements of that day, and to such be studiously avoided any mention of his personal knowledge of affairs in France, thus concealing the prominent part he had undoubtedly taken in the great movements of his time. He most frequently sought the society of one whom he could safely trust, when laboring under any excitement which he could ill suppress, and which might possibly betray him.
Chancellor Bierce, who worked for Muller three years, was one of the few between whom and his employer there grew a strong sympathy, and before whom this retired man was less careful. One instance of this nature Mr. Bierce relates.
Agreeably to the laws of the State of New York, Louis Anathe Muller, in common with other citizens, had been warned out to general training. This order was looked upon by Mr. Muller as an insult, and in his excitement he made the following noteworthy remarks to Mr. Bierce: ---
"Mr. Bierce, it is too bad! too bad! Captain Hurd sends his corporal to warn me out to train! He ought to be ashamed! I have been General of a Division five years --- I have signed three treaties " --- here, checking himself; he simply added, as though striving to suppress feeling: "Bierce, it is too bad!"
Prompted as these words were by the sting of injured dignity, we have no doubt of their being the truth, forced from the secret he so assiduously covered, through the unguarded medium of his wounded pride. Consciousness of this weakness in himself is the probable cause why he sought the presence of Bierce, a man in whom he might safely confide.
Mr. Bierce explained to him, in a satisfactory manner, the situation of our military laws, and Muller recognized the justness of the proceeding. However, he did not train, on that or any subsequent occasion.
Muller labored under great disadvantages in his building and farming enterprises, through the want of proper knowledge. This rendered his work doubly expensive. His gristmill had a most peculiar and unhandy arrangement He was often cruelly imposed upon by individuals who enjoyed perpetrating jokes. A story is told of his desiring to sow an acre of turnips. Not knowing how much seed he should want for that amount of ground, he asked a neighbor, and was informed that it required a bushel By scouring the country far and near and purchasing small quantities, he succeeded in obtaining three pecks. Soon after, he was asked by an old farmer what he was going to do with so much turnip seed. Muller, in reply, said he wished to sow an acre of turnips, when the old man explained to him that he had been sadly hoaxed.
In conversation with him, Mr. Bierce gathered that Muller married his wife since coming to America, in New York; that he came in possession of the Georgetown estate in a manner not agreeable to his ideas of justice or honor; that Ludlow had made friends with him when he first came to New York, to whom he lent some $30,000, by which, in the change of circumstances, he was induced to accept this tract of land rather than suffer a total loss.
In his personal appearance, L. A. Muller was a fine-looking man, about five feet five inches high, well proportioned, possessing a distinguished military bearing. His complexion was of a swarthy color, eyes black and penetrating, features sharply defined: with the forehead of a keen practical intellect, perfectly in keeping with the fine face. He was apparently about fifty years of age.
He was not an enthusiast, but a plain practical reasoner; he abhorred mean lying and deception, and considered his honor as sacred. He enjoyed the sports of the green and the chase, and in these amusements his character was conspicuous. On no account would he attack game while at rest; very living thing had a chance for escape, but that chance was feeble if his fowling piece or rifle was in his hand.
He was very affectionate toward his young wife, Eugenie Adaline. She was a fair-haired, beautiful blonde, of only medium hight --- a graceful and finely formed, girlish creature. Gay and affectionate with her maids, she and her two pretty children, Charley and Carlos, (one of whom was' born in Georgetown, we understand,) were very much beloved by all, and were the center of the deepest solicitude on the part of the husband and father.
A strange, yet powerful apprehension weighed upon his mind and tinctured his prominent movements. In common with the views of the French nation, he believed the powers of Europe would fall before the eagles of Bonaparte; that the haughty lion of Britain would crouch and yield, and even the American eagle would fly before the gigantic power of the Corsican. These apprehensions pressing upon him, seemed to find some relief in the hope that the secluded hills of Georgetown would afford him a residence unknown and unobserved, and a safe retreat from present danger. He avoided mingling in public assemblies, and when visiting any more conspicuous town he was attended by his most trusty servants. Indeed, this peculiar watchfulness, the construction of his fortress-like dwelling, the secret room --- if such be a fact --- all confirm the opinion that he feared molestation from the authorities of his native country .Two servants, in livery and armed, usually rode on either side of him as a body guard. At each saddle front, his own and his guards, was a case of pistols and ammunition.
But when Bonaparte made his line of march for Russia, Muller one day reading the news, was jubilant. "He shall be whipped!" he exclaimed; "Bonaparte shall be driven back!" And so it proved. From this time be made his arrangements to return to France. When Bonaparte abdicated, and was sent a prisoner to Elba, Muller, leaving his property in the hands of an agent, took his wife and children to New York, where he left them and went to France. In 1816, he came again to New York to dispose of his property here. In his absence strange doings had been performed. The person in whom he had placed unlimited confidence in the care of his estate) one of the head men in the retinue brought here by him, had stripped his house of its furniture, sold his stock and every convertible object, and left) carrying off the avails. Weeds covered his garden walks and roads; desolation marked every object of his former care and pride; his village was forsaken and the mill deserted. In dismay, Mr. Muller viewed the wreck of his exile home) and tears at last gave relief to his oppressed mind.
He returned to New York and promptly offered the land for any sum. He sold to Mr. Abijah Weston, merchant of New York City, for the sum of $10,500, fifteen lots and parts of lots, which include those lots of the present Muller estate, with house, barn, out-houses, grist mill and sawmill The deed was executed April 9, 1816, Cornelius Bogart and Jacob Radcliffe, attest.
(Signed) JACOB RADCLIFFE,
Mayor of the City of New York.
One would scarcely suspect so much had been lavished in the building up of this lonely place, from what can be seen this day. The Muller house, from the durable manner in which it is constructed, has withstood the rough treatment it has received from careless tenants, sent on by its subsequent owners. But little is left to suggest where stood the park, or where played the waters of the pretty fish pond. Long ago the park was demolished, and the dam of the pond leveled by some of the numerous occupants of the house. The saw mill was demolished or removed before 1825, and also the grist mill, while there is nothing left of the village to mark the spot, except some of the buildings, still standing, occupied for other purposes.
"However, an air of romance has ever since clung around that stern and stately mansion, with its lofty poplars and spacious green in front, and until recently reports were rife and frequently believed that this house was haunted, and its occupants have been frightened pale, and some have been known to leave, actually believing in the mysterious tales of haunted houses, and that this was one."
That Louis Anathe Muller was a French nobleman, bearing an assumed name, fleeing from the vengeance of Napoleon Bonaparte, cannot be doubted His family physician, a man named Pietrow, who came to Georgetown with him, once said that Muller was "cousin the second to the Duke of Angouleme;" but no evidence was given this by the men who heard the assertion made, as Pietrow usually carefully avoided disclosing Muller's station or name. Dates demolish the idea that Muller was Louis Phillippe.
There are many evidences that-he was a man of superior military attainments, and consequently many believe him to have been one of the celebrated French Generals loyal to the Bourbons, who escaped to America to avoid the impending doom of the guillotine. More generally, however, the belief prevails in this country that he was a member of the Bourbon family, and who, on the abdication of Bonaparte, was restored to his royal privileges.
It is said that Muller's wife, after his departure, assumed her maiden name of Stuyvesant, by which her children are called. We cannot vouch for the truth of this statement, but Madison County records show the following: The Muller property in Georgetown was, sold by Abijah Weston to Israel Foote in the year 1820, for the sum of $13,000. There was a heavy mortgage upon it. In 1821, it was sold by Thomas Bolton, Master in Chancery, to the Mechanics Bank in the City of New York, and by the directors of this Bank to Francis U. Johnson, the deed bearing date the I3th day of September, 1834 and the same day by him granted to Peter Stuyvesant and Robert Van Rensselaer. June 15, 1837, Peter Stuyvesant and Julia R, his wife, made a gift of those premises, "for and in consideration of the sum of one dollar, lawful United States currency," to Nicholas William Stuyvesant, Caroline Augusta Stuyvesant and Robert Stuyvesant, children of Nicholas William Stuyvesant. If Muller's wife was a Stuyvesant (as report said and as is here indicated,) these three children were doubtless Muller's children, adopted by their relative, Nicholas William Stuyvesant.
The three joint owners last named (Caroline Augusta having become the wife of Benjamin Onderdonk, of New York City,) deeded the estate to Dr. James O. Van Hovenburg, of Kingston, Ulster County, by whom it is now owned. The homestead now includes some 600 acres, and is occupied by Mr. Van Hovenburg, a relative of the proprietor.
We return to the early settlers and incidents connected with their pioneer life, as given by the few survivors: ---
There was a kindness and sympathy among the inhabitants in those sparse settlements, which was engendered by their common necessities. Generosity was encouraged everywhere, and exhibitions of meanness were despised and rebuked in some manner. Each one seemed ready to help the other, in any emergency, to the extent of his ability. It is told, however, of a certain man, who came in very early and settled in the south part of the town, who did not answer to the qualities we have named as ruling among the people. He had more than the average share of riches, and felt his consequence. Some time after his arrival, a woman died in the neighborhood on the east side of the Otselic, and on her burial was taken to the graveyard at Slab City. This man had, a short time before, purchased a wagon, a large two-horse lumber wagon, the first that came into town --- and he was requested to lend it to bear the remains of the deceased to the grave. This he decidedly refused to do, adding that if "he lent his wagon to one he would have to to another, and he might keep on lending it till it was all wore out!" This seemed all the more inhuman from the fact that the Otselic then had no bridge across it, and the men bearing the bier were obliged to wade through the stream with their burden. This man also possessed the first grindstone in the neighborhood, and used to take off the handle and hide it, lest some neighbor should ask the use .of the stone, or obtain its use otherwise. These are only two of the many instances of his meanness, which caused him to be so heartily despised by his neighbors, that he was at last glad to leave them and the country.
Before much grain was raised, game and fish formed part of the staple food. There was no fruit, except berries and wild plums, both of which were gathered and used freely. Sometimes bread, pies, and other edibles, were exchanged for apples, which were brought along by the Indians when they journeyed through here on their autumnal hunting tours south. Fish were plenty in the Otselic, and it was fine amusement catching fish at Hatch's sawmill, at the outlet of the lake, where they were abundant at certain seasons. A journey to Leland's gristmill in the springtime often resulted in a generous mess of shad caught from the Chenango. At the period when there were no obstructions on this river, from the ocean to its head waters in Leland's Ponds, shad and other ocean fish came up annually, and were caught in abundance. After the construction of dams, the supply of these soon failed.
Georgetown forests made fine hunting grounds in the early days. Deer were quite common. One circumstance is noteworthy: - Two young men Isaac Purdy and William Drake, went out one morning with their fowling-pieces, and before breakfast killed four large bucks, not far from their homes south of the village. This is well authenticated, though it may seem to us a pretty large " breakfast spell." Panthers and bears sometimes made their appearance, while wolves frequently prowled about the quarters of the farmers' flocks. Small game was abundant. It is said that Muller paid high prices for game; for rabbits as high as one dollar each, and in the same ratio--size and quality considered -for other animals. He also employed all the spare time of men and boys to catch trout for his fishpond, paying enormous prices for them. Years after, when the dam of his pond was washed away, the school of large speckled trout which came down the stream, were a sight to see. For a long time after, this creek, which had never harbored a trout before Muller's sojourn, was one of the most prolific trout brooks in the country.
The ridge west of the Otselic, which was covered with a dense wilderness later than other sections of the town, harbored an occasional panther and wolf to a late day. The prolonged unearthly scream of a panther was heard by many, along the course of the creek one dark October night in 1843. It was also seen by different individuals, and was hunted, but escaped to the south.
As late as 1847, Mr. Sisson, then living on the MuIler farm, had some of his sheep devoured. Evidences convinced him that the destroyer was some species of wild beast. His suspicions were confirmed by the statements of others who had seen, at different times, an animal resembling a wolf. Hunters scoured the Muller woods and occasionally obtained glimpses of the prowler, whose movements to avoid observation were very cunning, and its actions very shy. At length his wolfship's quarters were ascertained to be within a certain radius on the side of the hill, in the woods west of the tannery. A force of a hundred armed men, from the village and adjacent country, volunteered to effect the capture of the aggressor; which force, on coming to the Muller woods, formed an extended circle around the brute's stronghold. Gradually this circle narrowed its bounds, scouring every copse, inspecting every hollow tree or log, and overturning every pile of brush. Step by step the circle reduced its circumference, until the men bad drawn quite near to each other. Presently a dark object moved the foliage of the thick undergrowth; every hunter's eye grew keen, every arm grew strong of nerve; for here was rare game, to bring down which, would be an honor. Soon the dark object darted from the cover of its hiding place, and made straight to a point where he apparently expected to pass the line of men. "The wolf! The wolf!" shouted several, while others coolly raised their rifles and fired. With balls in his body, and stunned with blows from gun-stocks, the last wolf in Georgetown yielded his life. He was found to be one of the largest as well as the list of his race in this section. The trophy was borne in triumph to the village, and there put on exhibition to satisfy the incredulous and gratify the curious. The lucky marksman, whose ball first hit the wolf, was a man named Soules, from the adjoining town of Otselic.
For a time the enterprises of Georgetown were scattered. There was the store at Bethel Hurd's, which, after Truesdale, was kept by Daniel Hurd. Religious meetings here made this a place of attraction and of some note. The Muller village, with its many peculiarities, brought people from far and near, and trade was lively in consequence. The mills of Hunt & Bishop, on the Otselic, were, however, situated in the most feasible locality for business, and people were not long in finding it to be a pleasant and advantageous village site. There was the tavern of Payne, on the southeast corner; on the opposite corner, southwest, (the present site of the post office,) stood a large, old fashioned, low, framed house, which was not lathed and plastered, and had a huge Dutch chimney in the center, with fireplaces in every room around it Bumet GaIloway had a cabinet shop in the north part of this house, and Alexander McElwain kept tavern in the other part. A store was kept by a Mr. Dudley. There was, also, a blacksmith and several other mechanics at this point.
After 1813, the Muller village went down, and Slab City began to rise. In 1815, by an act of Legislature, Township No. 6 was set apart from DeRuyter. The inhabitants were unanimous in their desire to have the town named "Washington," in honor of our first President; but the Legislature objected, as there were several other towns of Washington in the State; so, on the recommendation of that body, the people accepted the illustrious General's Christian name, thus giving us "Georgetown."
The first town officers were: --- Capt. William Payne, Supervisor; Dr. E. Whitmore, Town Clerk; Ebenezer Hall and Elijah J. Brown, Assessors. 'Squire Seth Smith of the village, and 'Squire Alvord, were two of the first Justices appointed. This town had been previously honored by appointments to office of its citizens, when it was a part of DeRuyter. Eleazer Hunt was Justice of the Peace for that town, appointed in 1806; Daniel Alvord and Josiah Purdy were Justices in 1808, and Ezra Sexton in 1810.
John F. Fairchild moved into town in 1817, and kept a store on the northwest corner in Georgetown village. He afterwards kept tavern on the southeast corner. The first store of importance was built on the site now occupied by the residence of Mr. Hannibal Priest, on the northeast corner, and was kept by Mr. Ira B. Howard. Chester Rose was one of the early storekeepers.
Dr. E. Whitmore had been the established physician since 1810, and continued to be the favorite among a wide circle of patrons to the close of a long life, which gave to Georgetown many years of service. He also kept the first winter school in the village, in the winter of 1810-11. The school was held in 'Squire Smith's house, near the mill. The scholars came from a wide circuit round about: from Payne's, Hawks', Nichols', and from the south line of the town. Dr. Whitmore was popular in many respects, being Town Superintendent, Inspector of Common Schools, and holding many other offices of responsibility and trust. He was one of the early prominent men.
With Dr. Whitmore, we should name others who were locally distinguished in the earlier years of the town:--- Such as 'Squire Alvord, a man of worth and integrity; ' Squire John Brown, the land agent, a man of marked ability; 'Squire William Payne, who was frequently a town officer, and a thorough going and influential man; Capt. Samuel White, who was for some time a Justice of the Peace, and active and useful in town proceedings; Alfred Brown, a popular teacher, and for a number of years Justice and School Commissioner; Rossetter Gleason, a teacher, widely known as a surveyor, and also a Justice; Alexander McElwain, popular as a landlord and valuable as a citizen, who frequently held town offices and was a Commissioner of Deeds; Apollos Drake and Olmstead Brown, who were Constables and Collectors, and held other town offices, and Elijah Brown, who was active and efficient in town matters, and a faithful officer.
To this list might be added many others of worth and local distinction, if we step into the years following 1830, when Georgetown furnished her proportion of talent, contributed her share of public officers, and yet held in reserve, men of real worth and true integrity to build up society and home institutions.
About 1820, a company from Plainfield, Otsego County, settled in the northern part of the town. William Griffin was already a resident there on Lot No. 6, and Richard Salisbury on another lot near by. This company was composed of Dea. James Babcock, Elijah Tracv, Ephraim Tracy, William Fish, Jirah Fish and Orrin Chase. These took up lots near to each other, west of the present "Line School House," --- so called from being situated on the line between Georgetown and Nelson. Lucius Griffin, now residing in this neighborhood, is a son of William Griffin; Richard Salisbury is still living near Georgetown village. Mr. Eber Salisbury, who is engaged in manufacturing north of the village, is a son of the early settler above named. Some members of the Tracy family still live in town. Others of this company of long ago and their descendants have moved away.
In 1823 or '24, the neighborhood last mentioned built a log meeting house on Lot 17, a short distance west of the farm house of Lucius Griffin, its site being very near the corner of the road which turns north. The religious society, Free Baptists, consisted of some sixty or seventy members, with Elder Robert Hall as pastor. Orrin Shephard and James Babcock were deacons. The salary of the minister was not a stated sum, but, as was common in those days, was such as the society could afford to give in provisions and money, and the use of a piece of land upon which the minister raised his own crops. This church held its own for ten years, when by removals and deaths it became so decimated that it disbanded. Many of its surviving members united with the Free Church of Northern Nelson.
Up to 1830, the town gained in population rapidly. Squire John Brown, who had been appointed land agent for the Ludlow heirs,4 exercised good judgment and managed affairs with such ability, that farms were speedily taken up. In the south part of the town, to those already mentioned as settlers, were added, Mann, Thorp, Mack, Upham, Niles, Day, Chapin, Ballard; near the center of the town were the Rays, Wagoners and Barnetts; and, north and east were the Fletchers and Wickwires. Upon the road laid out early from the village past the Morrow farm to the Line School House, were located the Taylors, Morrows, Wilcoxs, Stevens, Turners and Waters, and to the west the Nichols, Whites, Weeks, Perrys, Duttons, and many others whose names we have not obtained.
Agriculture developed; even at 1830, the farms of the pioneers had reached a good degree of cultivation, and with their substantial (though chiefly plain,) farmhouses and capacious barns, indicated plenty and comfort. The products of the newer sections, in wood, bark and lumber, found their way to Cazenovia, "the chief marketing place; these, together with stock raising, were sources of steady prosperity.
Common schools and religious societies were especially nurtured as the cherished institutions of a free and progressive people, --- institutions in which all, rich and poor, had an equal interest. One of the first school houses of the town was built in the Sexton neighborhood, and stood very near the location of the present one, at the corner of the road on Lot No. 58. Afterwards the district was divided and this schoolhouse was moved east of Mr. Hawk's, for the use of that section. The new district formed by the division, lay at the north, and its schoolhouse was erected near Mr. Atwood's --- hence called the "Atwood School House. " This town has also had its select schools, at intervals, for very many years. One of the best teachers of earlier times was Rossetter Gleason, before mentioned.
Mr. Gleason was one of the marked characters of the new country; a genuine yankee who could turn his hand to any trade, yet devoted himself chiefly to the practice of surveying and the business of wool-carding His establishment on the creek north of Georgetown village, where the sawmill, planing mill, cheese box factory and dwelling house of Eber Salisbury is located, was well known by the inhabitants for many miles around. He was for some years a Justice of the Peace and School Commissioner. As surveyor, he was familiar with every rood of land of Georgetown and adjacent territory. He possessed a mind of uncommon fineness, and an elastic, hopeful and genial spirit, which made him welcome in every home. He pursued his favorite avocation of surveying up to 1867, when he removed to the State of Michigan, and there, in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary Cole, he died in the year 1869, at a very advanced age.
The Baptist and Presbyterian churches were both early formed. The Presbyterians have the precedence in holding religious meetings, but it is undoubtedly the fact that Elder Stephen Olmstead, Baptist, was the first preacher in town. At intervals, he used to come from his home near Albany and hold meetings in the neighborhood of the Purdys, Browns and Olmsteads. The earliest Presbyterian minister was Elder Benedict. The Presbyterian society built the first church edifice in town, in 1824. It was located north of the village, nearly on the site of the pleasant residence of Wharton D. Utter.
In the village, the present tavern was built by Ebenezer Hall, about 18__. Mr. Rose followed John F. Fairchild in the store on the northwest corner. Mr. Ira B. Howard kept store on the northeast corner in 1830, moved to Michigan in 1835, and in 1869 was honored with the position of County Judge. Samuel Wickwire succeeded him in the store, and the latter, with his brother Charles, continued it at a later day under the firm name of "C. & S. Wickwire." Mosely & Campbell were for a time in business in another store, where Hare & Savage are now established. Subsequently, these two stores were united under the firm name of "Mosely & Wickwire," and were located on the southwest comer. Elijah Adkins bought the property on the northeast corner, and sold goods there for a time, after which he opened cabinet making and did a fair business in that line. From that time forward, Georgetown village grew to be a business center of this section.
The Baptist Church was built about 1835. The Presbyterian house was moved to the village a few years later. The tannery, now (1872,) owned by Hawks & Mack, was built by William F. Bostwick in 1837 or 1838. This was a desirable addition to the enterprises of the village, and was one of the sources of prosperity. The tannery of Henry & Cummings was built by Mosely & Wagoner a number of years later. The latter is a large establishment and has done a heavy business.
Other enterprises have been instituted at more recent dates; there is the carriage manufactory of Hawks & Stanton; the cheese box factory and planing mill of Salisbury & Son. There are now three dry goods stores in the village: --- That of Savage & Hare, one of the oldest; the tin shop and hardware store of Wm. H. Johnson, one of the best in the country; a shoe store and grocery combined; two first-class blacksmith shops; the cheese factory of Stowell Brothers. There are three resident physicians: --- Drs. Charles White, George N. Harris and B. Franklin. The residence of the latter is one of the old landmarks of the village. The house was built before 1825, by Alexander McElwain. It has been greatly changed and modernized in its appearance. It was for many years the home of Dr. Whitmore, and the house in which he died, in 1851. The M. E. Church edifice was built by the Free Church in 1847 Brown's Hall, of recent build, is a commodious and most useful building for all public purposes.
There has been a recent movement to enlarge the village by laying out new streets, which are to be built up with good residences. For this purpose, Timothy Brown has purchased a portion of the Ellis estate, and new streets are already marked out.
Masonic. --- A charter has been obtained and a Masonic Lodge instituted at Georgetown village, the present summer (1872,).
In 1850, the plank road through the main valley of the town was constructed, which united Georgetown village with Eaton and Pecksport. Subsequently, hop growing and dairying have, "put money into the purses" of the inhabitants of Georgetown. Cheese factories have sprung up in various sections. In all enterprises the farmers of this town are found to be keeping even pace with the spirit of the age. In this day of progress, they could not let the golden opportunity pass which would secure them a railroad; hence, the inhabitants bonded their town heavily, and brought the Syracuse and Chenango Valley railroad through, close by the homes where the pioneers built their first log cabins; where the first fields of grain, dotted with stumps, waved in the sun so many summers ago, and skirting the sacred enclosure where the sorrowing settler for the first time upturned the virgin earth to receive the remains of his cherished dead. The town has long remained inland from thoroughfares, having been heretofore less favored, geographically, than the more northern towns of the county; but the skill of man has overcome, at last, all obstacles in the way of railroads, and Georgetown is henceforth in familiar acquaintance with the great world.
DR. E. WHITMORE was born in East Haddam, Connecticut, in 1784, and while a young man came to Hamilton. Madison County was fast being settled and was pressing her invitations to the energetic sons of New England to come in and help build up the society of the new country. Dr. Whitmore was from an old New England family, distinguished for traits of character derived from Puritan ancestry, and those peculiar traits and sterling qualities were especially valuable to him as one of the pioneer physicians. He studied medicine in Hamilton with Dr. Thomas Greenly. He there married Miss Susannah Hovey and soon after removed to East Hamilton and commenced the practice of medicine. In 1810, he removed to Georgetown, and there established permanently. In 1814, he purchased the homestead farm, a short distance south of the village, where he lived until 1834, and where several of his children were born. The latter year he purchased a farm in the village of Georgetown, and finally bought the house where Dr. Franklin now lives, where he spent the remainder of his years. In 1838, the 25th of December, his wife died at the age of fifty-two. She had been to him a true helpmeet, and was a most worthy Christian (a member of the Presbyterian Church) and an estimable and honored woman in society. Six sons and daughters, who reached manhood and womanhood, were the children of this union, and all were living when she died. These sons and daughters married and some of them settled in Georgetown; one son, Russell, resides on the homestead farm, another, Mr. E. Whitmore, owns a romantic situation nearby.
Dr. Whitmore married, for his second wife, a sister of James Barnett, (well known in this County). She died in 1850, about fifteen months prior to his death. Two children were left of this union.
In his profession as physician, he was, however, most at home. Being careful, and having a cool head, he was remarkably safe in critical cases. The branch of Obstetrics had no more noted physician in the country; he was called far and near, and never in a single instance, it is said, has a patient in this part of his practice, died while in his care, and the cases can be numbered by tens of hundreds. He eschewed surgical operations and artificial means, and professed himself to be, only nature's handmaid, to which, undoubtedly, in a great measure, is due his remarkable success. ->
Dr. Whitmore was religiously constituted, and his whole life was influenced by this in born principle. One particular verse of an old familiar hymn was a favorite with him from childhood. All through life, it clung to him, and time after a time he could be heard repeating, or singing: ---
"Life is the time to serve the Lord,
The time to insure the great reward,
And while the lamp holds out to burn,
The vilest sinner may return."
Although a very energetic man, he was also calm, deliberate and methodical in his manner. A practical reasoner, he looked straight through a matter to the root and did not suffer trivial circumstances to influence him. These qualities with great integrity, commanded the confidence of his fellow citizens. He was not desirous of holding office, yet his town's people were continually placing trusts in his hands, which to him were repeated proofs of their regard for and confidence in him, and which he fully appreciated He was the first Town Clerk of Georgetown, and held this office for six years in succession, was then Supervisor for some years and then again Town Clerk. He was appointed Postmaster and held that office for nineteen years. He was for some time Town Superintendent and Inspector of Common Schools. He felt a great interest in the education of the masses and as there were no higher schools in Georgetown on which to bestow his care than common schools, he aimed to have these as good as the best. Under the care of his clear and critical judgment, common schools in this town were placed in excellent standing. Educational interests have seemed to fall to the care of Mr. Whitmore and his sons, who, after him have been repeatedly entrusted with school offices.
Dr. Whitmore retained a remarkable degree of physical vigor and elasticity, and his mental force was unimpaired up to the day when he was stricken with paralysis, when after a short period of suffering he died, November 6, 1851.
His kindness of heart, his sterling virtues, his noble nature, (albeit he was not without his faults, which were, however, more peculiarities than faults,) made him beloved among the people, and his loss was deeply felt. So large a concourse as gathered at his funeral has seldom been witnessed in Georgetown. The Rev. Mr. Gaylord preached from this most appropriate text: "And they buried him; and all Israel mourned for him." I Kings, XIV Chap., 18th verse. ->
The Presbyterian Church of Georgetown, was formed previous to 1815. It was a large society, and the only society in town for many years. The meetinghouse, the first in town, was built in I824, half a mile north of Georgetown village. About 1840, the house was moved to the village. In 1845, the "Free Church " was formed of members who had withdrawn from this. Though decimated in numbers from this cause, and from deaths and removals, the society is still a corporate body, and holds its property.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Georgetown. The first class of this denomination was formed about 1830, in the Atwood schoolhouse. Rev. J. M. Snyder, who was stationed at Earlville" was the first preacher; Julius Hitchcock was first class leader. About 1833, the first class in the village was formed. In 1841, the two classes were reorganized, under one head, at the village. Revs. Wm. Rounds, Lyman Beach, Henry (or Jesse) Halstead serve this charge as pastors the first few years. The meetinghouse was built by the "Free Church," about 1847, and of that society purchased by the Methodists, at a later date.
The Baptist Church in Georgetown, was formed November 12, 1831, and consisted of twenty members. Pitts Lawrence was first Deacon. The meetinghouse was built in 1834. The first pastor was Daniel G. Corey, who was ordained in this church March 5, 1835. Edmund B. Cross, of this church, became a missionary southern Asia. The following have been pastors: Revs. Oliver H. Reed, Nathan Woods, Rueben L. Warriner, Reuben Parsons, jr., A. Hall, William C. Hubbard, E. C. Cook, W. B. Morey, S. S. Weber, William Hickery, J. K. Brownson, John R. Haskins and C. S. Crain.
3 - The great cupboard which contained his library, remained in the hall many years, after Muller's final departure from the country, its mammoth size preventing its being removed. ) It was finally taken apart, and piece by piece the relic has been carried away by curiosity seekers.
4 - Squire Asa Ellis, formerly agent in Georgetown, was subsequently made agent for the Ludlow land. He has recently purchased all that remained unsold.