JABIN attended the common schools of his native town, and these facilities were the only ones he every enjoyed for obtaining an education. He spent the time until he was seventeen years old on his father's farm, but about this time me met with an accident which partially disabled him, and unfitted him for farm work, and in consequence he was put to learn the wagon-maker's trade, at which he spent two years. In November, 1810, he came to Lebanon on a visit and was advised by his friends to make a start for himself here, and so he did, and here the remainder of his life was passed. He worked at his trade and met with flattering success during his active business life. He also worked a farm for about four years.
In 1813, March 14, he was united in marriage with CLARISSA EMELINE, the eldest of a family of eight children of OLIVER and HANNAH (PETTINGALL) HARTSHORN natives, the former of Connecticut and the latter of Massachusetts. CLARISSA was born in the town of Lisbon the 29th of June, 1788. She came to Lebanon in 1812, in company with a number of her friends and acquaintances, among whom was her future husband who had been on a visit to his native State. Her father died in his native town in 1815, and her mother came to Lebanon the following year with all her children, and settled in the vicinity of Smith's Valley. The names of these children were as follows: ROYAL, OLIVER, IRA, CLARISSA, MIRANDA, SOPHRONIA and ELIZA, all of whom are now dead except MIRANDA, still living in Smith's Valley. After the death of OLIVER HARTSHORN his farm was apportioned to his children, and the lot that fell to CLARISSA is now occupied by the great Sprague Cotton Mill, one of the largest in the world.
CLARISSA EMELINE ARMSTRONG was a woman of splendid, and in many respects, remarkable characteristics. Her executive ability was of a high order and her management of her home affairs was simply perfect. She was intelligent and gifted, and was one of that type of woman, who, if favored with advantages equal to those enjoyed by many of the sterner sex, become the peers of the best of them. All who enjoyed the pleasure of her acquaintance know how perfectly she exemplified in every detail the traits of the refined lady and affectionate wife and mother. She died October 19, 1865.
JABIN ARMSTRONG, as a mechanic, was widely known through this section, his wagons being sought for by all who wanted one for durability. He was highly respected by his townsmen and acquaintances everywhere, and was honored by appointment and election to several offices of trust, the duties of which were performed in a manner that reflected credit upon himself, and that was satisfactory to the people.
In politics he was formerly a Whig, and after the formation of the Republican party he united with that and was always known throughout the entire county as one of the most zealous supporters of its principles and measures. He was never an aspirant for public place, but had he been, he would have been entrusted with the best offices in the gift of the people of the county.
In religious sentiments he had no pronounced views and never united with any denomination, but attended the Congregational church at Hamilton. He was liberal of his means when the cause of religion appealed to him for assistance.
A marked characteristic in him was his kindness of heart and his desire to alleviate suffering in whatever form it appeared to him. He was benevolent to the poor and unfortunate, and the distressed and unhappy ever found in him a sympathizing friend.
The death of this good man was most sorrowful and distressing. On the 24th day of January, 1877, during a blinding snow storm, he started from Smith's Valley, where he had been visiting his wife's sisters, MIRANDA and ELIZA, to return to his home, and while walking on the railroad track he was struck by a snow-plow. His injuries were so severe that he died from the effect of them six days after the accident, on the 30th of January, 1877.
To Mr. and Mrs. ARMSTRONG were born four children, named in order of their birth as follows: CLARISSA EMELINE, born April 18, 1814, married to JAMES H. MAYDOLE, Sept. 4, 1838, after his decease to DAN STORRS, and now residing at Eaton,, N. Y.; JABIN WALDO, born Nov. 5, 1815, married LUCY MELINDA OWEN of Lebanon, now residing on the old homestead; HANNAH FRANCES, born Jan. 12, 1818, died June 12, 1844, and MARTHA, born Oct. 21, 1820, married STEPHEN CHAPHE, of Cazenovia, N. Y. She died March 7, 1877.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 582.
His education was academical; studied law with Hon. AROHAXED LOOMIS and E. P. HULBURT, of Little Falls, SELLECK BOUGHTON, of Rochester AARON HACKLEY, of Herkimer, and G. B. JUDD of Frankport.
In July term of the Supreme Court of 1831 he was admitted as attorney, and in July term, 1834, to the degree of Counsellor of that court; January 26, 1835, he was admitted solicitor and counsellor of the Court of Chancery. In September, 1831, he located in his profession in Canastota, Madison county; married for his first wife CORNELIA G. ROWE of that place, and second, CHARLOTTE SPRIGGS, of Floyd, Oneida county. He has six sons-GEORGE, EDWARD, EUGENE, ALBERT, HENRY and FLANDRAU.
In the fall of 1842 he was appointed Superintendent of the schools of Madison county; was First Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of that county from Feb. 2, 1843, to the first day of January, 1848; and State Senator from Jan. 1, 1844 to Jan. 1, 1848.
In May, 1841, he was made a corresponding member of the New York Historical Society, in the city of New York.
He was granted the honorary degree of Master of Arts by the Board of Trustees of Hamilton College, in July, 1851.
In July, 1853, he was elected a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and in March, 1854, he was elected corresponding member of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
April 8, 1854, he was made a corresponding member of the New Orleans Academy of Sciences, and granted a diploma, and in June, 1862, he was elected a like member of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences.
He forged a cabinet in natural history of his own gathering, mounting and arranging of birds, animals, and especially of insects, equaling if not exceeding any other private one in the State, and has from time to time lectured before societies, literary, educational and collegiate institutions and universities, on natural history and entomology in particular, as the favorite branch of his studies. To arduous professional and judicial services he thus added the labors of familiarizing himself with a knowledge of natural sciences, practically and theoretically, to an extent surpassed by but few in our country.
Judge BARLOW has kindly contributed much of the history of Canastota from his own records, which the publishers gratefully acknowledge. As most of the records of the county were destroyed by the fire of 1873, it would have been impossible to have gathered them from any other source.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 582.
Mr. BENTLEY is a ready and fluent speaker, is well read in the law and possesses and continues to cultivate literary tastes and pursuits unusual among business men. His apt and off-hand ability as a writer has often been called into service by others who have many times received the credit due to his quiet methods. In 1861, under the administration of Mr. Lincoln he was appointed postmaster at De Ruyter, which position he has held ever since, enjoying the respect and confidence of the people and their descendants among whom he was born and has always lived. In the early days of the anti-slavery cause he took a deep and active interest in the overthrow of the slave power which ruled the nation. Throughout the rebellion his sympathies and efforts were enlisted on the side of the Union, and his voice was frequent and eloquent in its support. Mr. BENTLEY is a pronounced republican; yet never obtrudes his opinions offensively on others. In religion, he leans strongly to the free liberal sentiments of modern thinkers. He discards authority and rests all questions of theology on their intrinsic merits and reasonableness. His urbanity, dignity and courtesy towards all, have secured him the kind regards and esteem of of his neighbors and fellow men. If he has not accumulated as large a property as some, he has the satisfaction of feeling that he has taken no man's farm for his fee, nor robbed the widow or orphan of their inheritance In the sunset of life, he deems it better to leave the world with the world's blessing, rather than with the maledictions of those whose substance he has confiscated to enrich himself. The likeness of Mr. BENTLEY does not appear in this volume among the pictures of some of the prominent men of De Ruyter; but the missing statue of Brutus was more remarked than the statues present of the other illustrious Romans.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 604.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 738.
ENOCH was a farmer by occupation. He came into the town of Nelson and settled on lot 61, about 1808. They had eight children, as follows, ORRA, JEREMIAH, ALVIN, WILLIAM K., ISAAC, ORIN, JANE and PHILO E. Four of these are still living, namely ALVIN, WILLIAM K., ORIN and PHILO E.
JEREMIAH by his own efforts acquired the means to obtain a good common school education, and at an early day became a successful teacher by demanding implicit obedience to his directions and untiring efforts to acquire knowledge on the part of his pupils. During the war of 1812, he enlisted in the U. S. Army and left at once for Sackett's Harbor, where he suffered from sickness and many privations. After the close of the war he returned to Nelson and was engaged in farming summers, and teaching school winters until about 1821, when he married. In 1822 he taught at a select school in Hamilton. In 1823 he purchased and moved onto the farm on which he lived until he died.
Politically, he was a firm believer in the principles of Jefferson and Jackson. By his fellow townsmen, he was frequently elected to the office of supervisor, (and was chosen by his associates clerk of the board,) Justice of the Peace, (which office he held many years,) Highway Commissioner, etc. No violator of the law ever greatly admired his ideas of justice and the way he administered it in their cases, for they always received from him all the law allowed them or what he believed they justly deserved for their waywardness. In deciding legal questions, he was guided more by a well-balanced mind than by extensive legal acquirements.
In fine, JEREMIAH BLAIR was an industrious, economical man, of correct business habits and strict integrity, possessed of that self-reliance, energy, and will - both of mind and body - that made him a successful and wealthy farmer, an efficient officer and a useful citizen in his neighborhood, and he has left to those yet living many precepts and examples, worthy of their imitation and admiration.
In 1821, JERMIAH married SUSAN CLARK, daughter of JEREMIAH and LUCY CLARK, of Nelson, Madison Co. She was born Oct. 25th, 1797. Her parents were among the earliest settlers in the town. They settled north of Erieville, and her father built the first sawmill that was put up in the town, where now is the outlet of the Erieville Reservoir.
JERMIAH and SUSAN BLAIR reared a family of eight children named in the order of their birth as follows: SUSAN J., born September 29th, 1822, married Dr. LEVI P. GREENWOOD September 13, 1843; JEREMIAH, born October 14th, 1824, married ANNA S. THOMES, March 14th, 1872; HARRY CLARK, born July 21st, 1826, married LUCY BOND, January 3rd, 1849; ISAAC ALONZO, born January 26th, 1830, married HARRIET A. WHITNEY, October 5th, 1851; CHARLES C., born May 16th, 1832, married MARY E. EVERTS, Oct. 6th, 1863; ARVIN HALE, born February 24th, 1834, married ELLEN ENSIGN, June 24th, 1875; EDMUND FRANKLIN, born January 31st, 1836, died June 16th, 1850; and ADDISON DeWITT, born October 10th, 1841, unmarried. All these children except the latter who is a resident of Elmira, N. Y., are now living in the town of Nelson.
JERMIAH BLAIR died November 28th, 1878.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 646.
ALFRED A. was the third of a family of seven children. He remained at home and worked on the farm, attending the district school and the Academy at Eaton winters, until he was twenty years of age. After that he taught school winters until he was twenty-eight, working on the farm at home during the summer months.
In 1847 the 11th of September, he was united in marriage with SARAH E., daughter of JOHN C., and ELIZA (BARNETT) WAGNER, of Georgetown. She was born the 7th of April 1828. Her parents were natives, the father of Washington county, born Feb. 20, 1796, and the mother of Vermont, born Jan. 31, 1803. The former died Jan. 14, 1878, and the latter Oct. 19, 1868. They had five children, viz: JOHN B., born April 29, 1826; SARAH E., as above; LEVI P., born March 12, 1830, died Oct. 14, 1873; CHARLES C., born Aug. 19, 1831, and HANNAH W., born Jan. 26, 1835.
Mr. BROWN inherited, and has exhibited through life, the New England traits of character - readiness to labor and to learn, strength of will, forecast, and sympathy with those movements which have for their end the well-being of the country, and for their means the advancing condition of all classes and races.
He is one of Georgetown's most valuable citizens. In all business relations he is honorable and upright, ever the same in private business or official life.
He has served his town and county in the performance of the duties of its principle offices, and enjoys the high regard and esteem of his fellow townsmen.
In 1852 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held that office for twenty years. In 1862 he was elected Supervisor, and again in the years 1863, '64, '65 and in 1878. In 1864 he was the Republican nominee in his district for Member of Assembly, and was elected by a majority of about 1,500, beating LUCIUS P. CLARK, one of the most popular men in Madison county. In 1867, he was appointed by Gov. Fenton to the office of Loan Commissioner, and held the office until 1870.
Mr. BROWN is a member of no religious denomination, but is independent in his views. He takes an active and interested part in the Sunday-school work of his town, and has charge of the classes there, and has been an active worker in that interest throughout the county.
To Mr. & Mrs. BROWN have been born seven children. Names and dates of birth are here given: NELLIE X., born March 23, 1851, married THOMAS H. MUNRO, of Camillus, Onondaga county; NEWELL H., born Aug. 15, 1853; CHARLES D., born Jan. 3, 1856; CORA E., born Oct. 25, 1857; JOHN A., born June 27, 1861; ALBERT A., born June 20, 1864, and LIZZIE M., born April 9, 1867.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 584.
ELIJAH came to Georgetown in 1813, settled on lot 115, and lived there until he died. He bought 75 acres and added to that from time to time about 225 acres. He was a successful farmer and a man of excellent business qualifications. He was called to fill several offices of trust by his townsmen among which were those of assessor and supervisor, which he held many years. He was originally a Whig and on the formation of the Republican party he united with that and voted for the party's first candidate for the Presidency. In religious sentiment he was a Congregationalist and was a member of that church in Georgetown. His wife was a member of the same church. ELIJAH died the 9th of September, 1859, and his wife, January 4, 1851.
They had a family of seven children whose names and dates of birth are here given: LYDIA B., born March 29, 1812, married ALANSON NILES, in 1826, and died March 11, 1844; LAVINIA, born Dec. 27, 1813, married Rev. LORENZO E. SWAN, May 1, 1838; HARRIET, born Jan. 6, 1816, married LYMAN F. BONNEY, July 26, 1841; a son, died in infancy; ELIJAH W., born July 8, 1822, married RUTH R. ROBEY, Feb. 17, 1846; LOREN W., born Jan. 12, 1825, married ELCENA D. PRENTISS, Dec. 18, 1827, died Oct. 5, 1852.
ELIJAH W. BROWN has been honored by his fellow citizens of Georgetown. They have elected him to the best offices in their gift and the duties of the same have been performed in a manner that convinced them that their confidence was not misplaced, and that reflected the highest credit upon himself.
LOREN W., resided on the old homestead. He is one of Georgetown's most valued citizens. He has been successful as a farmer, and is respected and admired by all whose good fortune it is to have his acquaintance, for his many excellent qualities of mind and heart.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 584.
The father of NATHAN, SR., settled at Paris, Oneida county, at a very early day, and died there March 21, 1816. His wife, (LUCY REDMOND,) died June 14, 1814. She was born July 26, 1751.
NATHAN, SR., was the tenth in a family of eleven children. Three of his brothers followed the sea and were lost by shipwreck. He followed farming until about the year 1830, when he engaged in mercantile pursuits at Madison Center. In 1832 he came to Hubbardsville and was thus engaged until 1844 when he changed his location to Clarksville, town of Brookfield, where he carried on business till his death, which occurred May 22, 1866. POLLY, his wife, died April 1, 1837. They had eight sons and two daughters, named as follows: LUCY R., born Aug. 28, 1819, (died in infancy), LUCY R., born Aug. 17, 1820, (died Dec. 5, 1866,) NICANOR, born Feb. 14, 1823, GEORGE, born March 29, 1825, (died in infancy,) GEORGE, born May 8, 1826, NATHAN, PERIS R., born April 3, 1831, (died March 23, 1833,) PERIS R., born Aug. 31, 1833, PUTNAM C., born June 8, 1835, and HERVEY, born April 1, 1837, (died July 9, 1839).
The advantages enjoyed by these children for their education were such only as were afforded by the common schools of their towns.
NATHAN, at the age of 16, went to Sherburne and was employed as a clerk by Pratt & Rexford, merchants, about five years. Soon after serving his connection with that firm, he went west and remained about two years. In 1853, he returned and located permanently at Hubbardsville, where he now resides, and engaged in merchandising and milling till 1861.
Mr. BROWNELL presents a splendid example of the success that unaided effort united with persistent purpose and honorable ambition may achieve.
He has been handsomely recognized by his party and the public in the bestowments of public stations. In 1861 he was elected supervisor of his town, and was elected six times in succession to that office. During the war of the Rebellion his signal executive abilities were fully tested, in furnishing the town's quota of troops called for by the Government, and in raising the money needed to secure substitutes.
In the fall of 1867 he was elected County Clerk and removed to Morrisville and entered upon the duties of that office Jan. 1, 1868. He held that office three years, and during that time, he was a member of the several commissions appointed to appraise the land taken by the Midland Railroad Company, in the counties of Chenango and Cortland, where disputes arose as to their value. In 1872 he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he still holds.
In all the relations of public and private life Mr. BROWNELL has been faithful to his trusts, and his influence and value as a citizen is freely and fully acknowledged by all who knew him. He possesses in a marked degree those qualities that characterize the good neighbor, kind husband and indulgent parent.
In politics Mr. BROWNELL is a staunch Republican having united with that party in 1856, since which time no man has been more earnest and zealous in his efforts to further the interest of the party.
The 7th of April, 1852, Mr. BROWNELL married ROZELLA S., daughter of ELIAS K. and EMILY (HUBBARD) HART, natives, the former of Oneida county, where he was born Dec. 16, 1803, and is still living, and the latter of Sherburne, Chenango county, where she was born Nov. 4, 1808, and died Sept. 10, 1853. They had five children, viz: ALLEN H., born April 22, 1829, (drowned in a vat in the tannery at Hubbardsville, Nov. 9, 1831,) ROZELLA S., born Aug. 15, 1830, HUBBARD, born Aug. 7, 1832, SUSAN LAVINA, born Feb. 25, 1836, and NORVAL DEMAS, born Sept. 26, 1848.
Mrs. BROWNELL's grandfather, CALVIN HUBBARD, was one of the first settlers in the town, at Hubbardsville, which place was named for him.
Mr. and Mrs. BROWNELL have two children, FRANK H., born March 10, 1856, and EMILY LOUISE, born May 24, 1866. They have one daughter by adoption, ALICE BUCKINGHAM, born Oct. 9, 1854. She is a grand-daughter of Dr. BUCKINGHAM, of Sherburne, Chenango county.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 571.
Col. CHAPMAN was a strong, vigorous, energetic man, full of enterprise, liberal and confiding. Through his efforts the first post-office was established in Clockville in 1814, and he was appointed the first postmaster, an office which he held (with a brief interval,) until he resigned in 1847. He reared a family of twelve children, five of whom survived him and are still living, NOYES P. CHAPMAN, WM. H. CHAPMAN, MARY ANN, wife of CONRAD G. MOOT, AUGUSTINE, wife of CLINTON L. COLTON and BENJAMIN F. CHAPMAN, the subject of this biography, who, from youth up, as ever been familiarly known as "Frank Chapman."
He was born with an active brain and strong muscle, a leader among the boys; whatever was to be done, he did it first and took the consequences afterwards. Much of the mischief in and out of the school house was laid to him, and he generally got the "lickings," and never grumbled.
On the death of his brother STEPHEN, in 1831, who had been previously admitted to the bar, his father decided to educate and make a lawyer of him. He assisted his father in making surveys; he readily took to mathematics and idolized a compass.
In the fall of 1834 he entered Stockbridge Academy; the next spring he entered the new Hudson River Seminary, where he was under the mathematical instruction of Prof. Ostrander. In the fall of 1835 he went to Manlius Academy and applied himself to the study of languages, and the next spring he followed his teacher, Mr. Burhans, in opening Fayetteville Academy, where he remained until he entered the Sophomore class in Hamilton College, at Clinton, August, 1836. In his Junior year he was one of the prize speakers, and was graduated in July, 1839, with one of the five honors - the Philosophical Oration.
He then entered the law office of his father, and in January 1834, was admitted to the bar, and subsequently to the District, Circuit and Supreme Court of the United States. By his indomitable industry and perseverance he acquired a large practice, and soon became one of the leading members of the bar in his county.
He married Miss HULDAH WILCOX, daughter of Deacon ALANSON WILCOX, November 10, 1841; they had three children - ELMER, who died at the age of two years; MATTIE, who married Captain CHARLES E. REMICK, of Hardwick, Vt., who was then engaged in business in Boston, and subsequently was with the firm of E. S Jeffray & Co., New York, and now is established in business at Oneida, N. Y.; STEPHEN, who studied law with his father, then entered and was graduated from the Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar in May, 1874, and is now in company with his father.
In April, 1880, he left the old homestead, where he and his children were born, and with his entire family moved into his new house in Oneida. It is a model residence, a view of which will be found in this volume.
In politics he is a pronounced democrat, and has ever been one of the influential democratic orators in Central New York. In early life he was connected with schools, holding various town offices, such as school inspector, commissioner, town superintendent, supervisor, also district attorney and postmaster.
In 1861, at the breaking out of the Rebellion, Mr. CHAPMAN lead off with the first war speech in the county, and no patriot ever worked harder than he during that long and memorable struggle. He has had large experience as a surveyor and engineer; and his services have been sought for by the most eminent lawyers in Central New York in suits involving the title to real estate and water powers.
To-day he stands erect and has the vigor and step of youth; a constant and hard worker, enjoying as he ever has good health, blessed with a constitution capable of great endurance; endowed with a vigorous mind, entertaining and instructive in his conversation interspersed with mirth and anecdote.
Amid all the turmoils of life he has found time to devote to literary works; he has a model library, and for years has been accustomed to deliver popular lectures on various subjects, and among them, "Washington and its defenses," "Harper's Ferry," and especially his late and very popular lecture on "Salem Witchcraft" which has been received with great favor throughout the country.
The Jackson Citizen (Mich.,) in speaking of it says: "Mr. CHAPMAN is a lawyer of superior ability, and his word pictures of that terrible delusion were as vivid as the closest acquaintance could make them. The audience seemed to be completely fascinated by his eloquence, and were swayed at his will as he described in graphic language those terrible scenes through which the people of Salem passed in that fated period."
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 734.
Rev. JOHN CLARK and his brothers THOMAS and JOSEPH, were associates and warm friends of ROGER WILLIAMS, who effected the first settlement in Rhode Island, in 1636, which he named Providence, because he recognized the guidance of his Heavenly Father in choosing his new home. Two years later, these brothers being associated with the CODDINGTONs, founded the settlement of Newport, and effected the first settlement of the island of Aquidneck, now called Rhode or Rhoda's Island. In 1663 JOHN CLARK was sent to England and procured from Charles II, the memorable charter of "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations," which was the organic law and the only constitution of that colony and State until 1842, a period of 179 years. JOHN and THOMAS CLARK both died without issue; but from JOSEPH, the youngest of the brothers, and who was born Dec. 9, 1618, and who died at Newport, June 1, 1694, was descended JOSEPH CLARK, his son, born in 1642, and from him descended JOSEPH CLARK, his son born in October, 1728, and from him, SAMUEL CLARK, his son, father of the subject of this sketch, who was born Dec. 11, 1754. He married CHLOE MAXSON, a daughter of DAVID MAXSON, of Westerly, Rhode Island, in 1776. She was a beautiful and estimable lady, and a lineal descendant of JOHN MAXSON, the first white person born on the island of Rhode Island. His father, JOHN MAXSON, Senior, was the first settler of Throgs Neck, then called "Maxson's Point." on the north side of Long Island Sound, in the present town and county of Westchester, New York, where he and his son RICHARD were murdered in the early spring of 1638, by the Indians. Mrs. MAXSON and a few others escaped to a shallop lying in the sound, and after a long and tedious voyage, landed on the island of Rhode Island, where a son was born to Mrs. MAXSON a few days after landing, and probably about the middle of March, 1638, who received the name of JOHN MAXSON, after his recently murdered father. On the 24th of the same month the island was purchased from the Indian sachems, Canonicus and Miantunom. From JOHN MAXSON, the first white child born in Rhode Island, descended JOHN MAXSON, JR., his son, born in 1666, and to him was born JOHN MAXSON, 3RD, in 1701, whose son, DAVID MAXSON, was the father of CHLOE MAXSON, the mother of the subject of this sketch, who with her husband, Capt. SAMUEL CLARK, and nine children, removed to Brookfield, Madison county, New York, in 1801, where Capt. CLARK died, Feb. 13, 1830, and his wife on the 19th of March, 1833. JOSEPH CLARK was the founder of the village of Clarkville, which derived its corporate name from this circumstance. He was postmaster for about thirty-five years, holding in the meantime the office of Town Clerk for twenty years, Justice of the Peace for nearly twenty-five years, Supervisor, fifteen years, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for ten or twelve years, and often, though unsought, held three or four of these offices at the same time. He served in the Militia on our Northern Frontier in the war of 1812, as ensign, and afterwards became Colonel of the Regiment. He was Member of the Assembly in 1824, 1828, and 1835, and State Senator in 1839, 1840, 1841 and 1842, from the old Fifth District, comprising the counties of Oneida, Jefferson, Oswego, Lewis, Otsego and Madison. He was always very popular, running largely ahead of his party ticket, and was always in sympathy with the laboring classes, being himself a mechanic.
When elected Senator in 1838, he was a foundryman; but his time being almost wholly occupied with his duties as Senator-which made him ex-officio a member of the Court for the Correction of Errors-he sold the foundry and retired from business; but upon the expiration of his term of office, although then nearly sixty years of age, he returned to the business of his early life-blacksmithing- which he reluctantly abandoned after he passed the age of four-score years. He was an honest man, proverbially kind to everybody, and was never known to speak a harsh or unkind word to any member of his family. He was always a decided Democrat in politics, yet he had the confidence of all who knew him.
His loving and estimable wife, whom he always affectionately called "Easter," died August 11, 1862, and Judge CLARK died May 11, 1871, in the 86th year of his age, leaving three daughters surviving him: but MARY M., the wife of Hon. ALBON A. LEWIS, of Alleghany county, and J. ADELIA, the youngest child and unmarried, have since died, leaving ADELINE VanHORNE, wife of C. B. BURDICK, of Brookfield, the only daughter now living. Two sons are still living-LUCIUS P. of Morrisville, twice elected County Clerk of his native county, and Major OTIS P. GRANGER CLARK, of Washington, D. C., who made an honorable record in the war of the Rebellion, from the first Bull Run to Lee's surrender at Appomattox. He is now Deputy Commissioner of Pensions at Washington. Judge CLARK was a total abstinence man for more than fifty years, and both he and his estimable companion were consistent and exemplary christians. Their memory is blessed.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 531.
LUCIUS PALMER CLARK
The subject of this sketch, for the past thirty years a resident of the village of Morrisville, was born in Clarkville, town of Brookfield, Madison county,, N. Y., Jan. 27, 1822. He is a son of JOSEPH and ESTHER (LAMPHERE) CLARK. His father settled where the village of Clarkville is now situated, at the beginning of this century. He was a prominent man in his time and held several offices of trust and responsibility. He was one of the first Judges of the Court of Common Pleas of Madison county, and was State Senator. He was extensively engaged in business there and the name of Clarkville was given to the place in his honor.
LUCIUS, at the age of ten years, was put to work in his father's foundry and there he learned the molders' trade, working at that business until he was eighteen, attending the district school winters. It was about this time that his father was elected to the State Senate, and the duties of the office requiring the most of his time he disposed of his foundry business, and LUCIUS was soon thereafter placed in the Pearl Street Academy in Albany, where he remained three terms. Among his fellow students were MORGAN DIX, now rector of Trinity parish, New York, CHARLES TEMPLE DIX and FREDERIC W. SEWARD, son of the late Hon. WILLIAM H. SEWARD.
At the close of his term at the academy in Albany, Mr. CLARK returned to his home and in 1842, May 4th, he was married to FIDELIA, daughter of JAMES and CYNTHIA DENNISON, of Clarkville. She was born March 12, 1821. Her parents were very early settlers there from Stonington, Conn.
While at home from school during vacations Mr. CLARK had worked at carriage making and learned that trade, and after his marriage he engaged in that business at Clarkville and followed it for about eight years, when he was appointed Deputy County Clerk. He then removed to Morrisville and entered upon the duties of that office in the winter of 1850. He held that position for three years. He was then elected County Clerk and held that position for three years.
During his six years' occupancy of the Clerk's office Mr. Clark devoted his leisure to the study of law, and was admitted to the practice in the Supreme Court of the State September 14, 1855, and to practice in the Circuit Court of the United States the 30th of October, 1867.
In 1856 Mr. CLARK was the nominee of the Democratic party for Congress, his competitor being the Hon. HENRY C. GOODWIN. In this contest he ran eight hundred ahead of his ticket, but he was defeated and the result was the same throughout the State of New York, the newly formed Republican party carrying everything before it.
From this time forward Mr. CLARK continued the practice of his profession until the 1st of January, 1874, when he again entered upon the duties of County Clerk, having been elected to that office the fall preceding. A fact in connection with the history of this election will be perfectly proper to state briefly here: He was elected over his Republican competition by a majority of 492, while the balance of the Republican ticket was carried by a majority of from 1,200 to 1,400.
He has been the Democratic nominee for Member of Assembly several times, and in the fall of 1879 he was the candidate for his party for State Senator, in the Senatorial district composed of Madison, Otsego and Herkimer counties, his opponent being the Hon. ALBERT M. WELLS, but he was defeated as was expected, for his party is hopelessly in the minority in this District.
During the war of the Rebellion Mr. CLARK was a staunch and active friend of the Government. Upon the receipt of the news of the firing upon Fort Sumpter he determined that his position should not be equivocal. He took his stand firmly on the side of his country, as did every true and loyal man, and was earnest and untiring in his efforts to aid the good cause by encouraging enlistments and by raising money to pay bounties. He was known as one of the most faithful of War Democrats. His patriotism knew no fear or faltering; keeping up his patience and hopes, speaking words of good cheer all the more when the hour was darkest.
Mr. CLARK has been a zealous member of the Congregational church for many years during his residence in Morrisville, and has led the choir thirty years. He is foremost in all enterprises of a character to benefit the community in which he lives, and while he may review a measurably long and busy life, as of one not driven by business, but rather as of a man who sees life as a beneficent gift for worthy bestowal, he may feel that by honorable profession and fair dealing he has discharged his obligations to society.
Mr. and Mrs. CLARK have one son, EDWARD PAYSON, born Sept. 21,1863.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 639.