James H. Maydole was born in Sharon, N. Y., July 24, 1810. His parents were ALEXANDER and ANNAH VanVALKENBURG MAYDOLE. The father was born in Albany, N. Y., Oct. 5 , 1777, and died June 10, 1818. The mother was born May 29, 1773, and died Jan. 15, 1854. They had nine children, viz: CATHERINE, MARGARET, GEORGE, JOHN J., JACOB, DAVID, ALEXANDER, JAMES HENRY and ANNA MARIA, five of whom are still living.
JAMES HENRY was the youngest of the sons, and after his father died he lived with his mother until he was sixteen. About this time he took what clothing he had, tied in a small bundle, and being entirely without money, walked all the way from his mother's home in Cortand county, to Binghamton, N. Y., during a severe snow storm, where he bound himself to a Mr. ROBERTS and went to Nineveh, now Colesville, N. Y., where he started in business for himself. He followed his trade there until 1836, at which time he removed to Log City, now Eaton, Madison county, and was employed by his brother DAVID, then in business there, and who afterwards removed to Norwich, N. Y., and engaged largely in the manufacture of hammers, the excellence of which has gained him a world-wide fame. JAMES H. worked for his brother DAVID until 1838, in which year, Sept. 4, he was married to CLARISSA E., eldest daughter of JABIN and CLARISSA E. ARMSTRONG, of Lebanon, Madison county. [See bio for JABIN ARMSTRONG]
In 1840, he purchased the home in which he lived until he died, and which is still occupied by his widow, now Mrs. D. STORRS, and carried on business for himself in general blacksmithing and the manufacture of carriages and wagons. His death occurred July 22, 1868.
He was an upright and conscientious Christian man and was greatly beloved by all who knew him. He united with the Congregational church in Log City soon after his settlement there, and was deacon, superintendent of the Sabbath-school and leader of the choir for many years. He was always liberal in support of the church and in aid of Christian work everywhere.
In political sentiment he was first a Democrat, but after the formation of the Republican party he united with it, and was an earnest advocate of its principles and measures. He was never an office-seeker, but had he been, he might have been elected to the best offices in the gift of the people of his county.
He was pre-eminently a self-made man. His early years were filled with hardships and privations, but these tended to develop the natural abilities and resources within him. By great energy, correct habits, and honest dealing he acquired a fine property and rose to distinction in his business. He had no children.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" on page 640.
He was also postmaster for the term of 8 years at Wampsville, his term expiring at the close of Pierce's administration.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 722.
August 29th, 1844, HARRIS C. married CYNTHIA, daughter of SHUBAEL and EDITH (RUSSELL) BUNKER, natives, the former of Duchess Co., N. Y., born Jan. 14th, 1796, and died at East Troy, Wis., Sept. 17th, 1858. The latter was born at White Creek, Washington Co., N. Y., May 12th, 1798, and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. MINER, at De Ruyter. They were married Nov. 30th, 1816. They came to Madison Co., with their parents, and lived many years in De Ruyter, and raised all their family there, which consisted of seven children, namely: WILLIAM R., born Oct. 24th, 1818, died in infancy, ELIZA M., born Aug. 18th, 1820, married WILLIAM ALEXANDER, of De Ruyter, died Oct. 24th, 1857, in Wisconsin, CHARLES, born Dec. 19th, 1822, married MARY HIIMEBECK, of Wisconsin, CYNTHIA, born Jan. 26th, 1825, JANE ADELINE, born Aug. 18th, 1828, married GEORGE M. COZENS, of Wisconsin, died April 18th, 1855, JOHN RUSSELL, born Oct. 2d, 1830, married in Wisconsin, died Nov. 11th, 1877, and HIRAM S., born April 19th, 1834, married MARY FINNEY, of Wisconsin, and now residing in Chicago, Ill.
THANKFUL MINER, the grandmother of our subject, died at Pitcher, March 24th, 1860, at the great age of ninety-eight years and four months, and was in possession of her faculties to a wonderful degree up to the day of her death.
CYNTHIA RUSSELL, the grand-mother of Mrs. MINER, died April 23d, 1869, aged ninety-two years and three months. HARRIS C., lived at home working on the farm and attending the district school winters until he was twenty-one years old. He then came to De Ruyter, for the purpose of attending school and preparing himself for teaching, but being offered the position of head clerk in the store of ISRAEL SMITH, who was doing a large business in De Ruyter at that time, he accepted and held the same nine years. Jan. 1st, 1844, he was appointed Deputy Clerk of Madison Co., and went to Morrisville and entered upon the duties of the office and remained there three years. He then went to Syracuse and engaged, one year, in mercantile pursuits, having for his clerks, MILTON S. PRICE, now one of the merchant princes of that city, and CHARLES ANDREWS, now Judge of the Court of Appeals of the State of New York.
Mr. MINER, during his residence in Morrisville, as Deputy Clerk, studied and prepared himself for the profession that he has practiced with such honor and profit to himself. In 1848 he was admitted to practice in the Courts of Madison Co., and at Cooperstown, he was examined and admitted to practice in all the Courts of the State of New York. In August, 1867, he was admitted to practice in the United States Courts. He has been Clerk and Supervisor of his town, and President of De Ruyter Village, several times.
Mr. MINER is a man of marked character. He possesses great industry, and is active and untiring in his professional business. In the conduct of a case he is never discouraged by an adverse ruling, nor disheartened by the announcement, res adjudicta, the Court has decided it, till he has carried it to the Court of Appeals and obtained a decision at the dernier resort. It is this wonderful energy which has enabled him to overcome the disadvantages of early education, when the avenues to school opportunities were not as common as now. These qualities united with a powerful physique and enduring nerve force, having enabled him to sustain much hard work, have brought him an extensive practice and deservedly placed him abreast with the most successful members of his profession. In his personal characteristics, Mr. MINER is frank and generous. His attachments to friends are strong and decided, and his opposition to adversaries is vigorous and outspoken. He makes a square fight and stands up to it. Yet no man is more ready to overlook an injury or forgive an enemy and he often comes to be on friendly terms with those against whom he has waged the fiercest warfare.
In politics he is a Democrat and holds to the equality of all men before the law, whether rich or poor, high or low. Yet he is not a politician in the ordinary sense. He leaves its petty intrigues to others. With him, business stands first, politics, recreation, pleasure, at the foot of the calendar. If the social qualities have not kept pace with his mental force, it is because conditions unfavorable to their development have contributed to it. He is a good neighbor, obliging in his intercourse with others and is easily touched by the sickness or misfortunes of his fellow men. His hand is always open to relieve distress and an appeal was never made in vain to the kindlier emotions of his heart. He is generous and liberal in aid of public enterprise, and his name is always seen on subscriptions for local improvements and private charities. He has many excellent qualities which commend him as a man and citizen to his neighbors and the community in which he lives. His extended practice into other counties, at the Circuits, as a nisi prius lawyer and an advocate of rare power before a jury, attest the estimation in which he is held. He will leave the impress of his methods and life on the local and general affairs with which he has been connected, long after he has passed from the active duties of life.
In 1869, Mr. MINER met with a great affliction in the death of his only daughter, at the age of seventeen, who was just blooming into womanhood, and a young lady of rare promise and uncommon loveliness. Indeed, she was the light of his household and greatly beloved by all for her excellent traits of character. Her loss left the imprint of an irreparable sorrow in the family circle, and none felt it more keenly than he for she was the idol of parental affections.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 599.
They were born, the father in 1769, and died in 1812, the mother born in 1774, and died in 1811. They had a family of eight children, three sons and five daughters, of whom only two daughters are now living. Mrs. MONTAGUE and her youngest sister, SUSANNAH, who married JOHN FORSHEY, and is now living in Augusta, Mich. After Mr. MONTAGUE's marriage he took the entire management of the farm, his father living with him until his death, which occurred in 1825, the mother having died two years previous. He carried on farming until 1842 when he came to live in Cazenovia village where he was engaged in the marble business for several years. After retiring from that he was engaged in various enterprises until 1860, when he retired from active business.
To Mr. and Mrs. MONTAGUE were born three children, RICHARD PORTER, born June 4, 1825, now living in Cazenovia, WILFRED WEED, born Oct. 5, 1827, now living in San Francisco. In 1862 he married ELIZABETH (GRAY) SOUTHWORTH, a native of New York city, but at the time of their marriage a resident of San Francisco. HARRIET LOUISE, born Nov. 24, 1832, married R. R. ROBERTSON, of Syracuse, Sept. 12, 1862.
LINUS MONTAGUE died Feb. 15, 1879. In early life he became identified with the Presbyterian church at Cazenovia, and until his death was a constant, earnest member, holding the office of Elder in the church for many years. Zealous in its interests, he was unceasing in his endeavors for the advancement of religion. He was a staunch Republican and an active supporter of that party. A man fond of reading and deeply interested in all articles of a public character.
His venerable widow, now in her eighty-fourth year, retains possession of her faculties to a remarkable degree, and bids fair to live and be a comfort and blessing to her children for many years. She also is a member of the Presbyterian church at Cazenovia.
The second son, WILFRED WEED is engaged in the hardware business in San Francisco. The firm is W. W. Montague & Co., 110, 112, and 114 Battery street, San Francisco, with an office at 54 Cliff street, New York city.
He also owns and runs a large ranch of several hundred acres about fifty miles from San Francisco, and is one of the most prominent among California's prominent men.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 660.
They came to America when quite young and settled in the town of Augusta, Oneida county, where they lived three years, and then came to Georgetown and located on the farm where the subject of this brief sketch is now living. They remained here thirty-one years, and then returned to the town of Augusta and lived there until they died. The mother died September 17th, 1855, aged fifty-five years and ten days, and the father, January 6th, 1873, aged eighty-three years, four months and twenty-seven days. They had ten children, namely: JOHN B., MARY L., WILLIAM D., (died June 5th, 1857,) ISABEL, ELIZABETH, JANE, FRANCES, ANNVERNETTE and JAMES E.,-all are now living except WILLIAM D.
JOHN B. lived at home until he was twenty-four years of age, when he married SUSAN MARSHALL, of the town of Eaton, Madison county, the 6th of January, 1846. By her he had four children, as follows: FRANCES, born April 17th, 1849, died December 30th, 1851; FRANCELIA, born March 26th, 1855, married ALBERT E. LaSELL, of Lebanon, February 6th, 1872; J. FRANKLIN, born July 8th, 1858, died December 15th, 1872; and GERTRUDE, born January 24th, 1861. The mother of these children died February 12th, 1875.
March 6th, 1876, Mr. MORROW married JENNIE A. BARKER, of Oswego, N. Y. She was born January 31st, 1850, and is the daughter of P. B. and FRANCES M. (PERRY) BARKER. By this wife he has one son, FRANKLIN A., born June 15th, 1877.
The farm on which Mr. MORROW lives originally contained 170 acres, and since his purchase of it from his father, he has added to it from time to time until it now contains 327 acres. Mr. MORROW has been a hard working, industrious farmer, and a great portion of his highly cultivated and improved farm was cleared by his own hands, and now it may safely be said that it is one of the very best in the county.
Mr. MORROW commenced life without a shilling, (to use his own words,) and has succeeded by energy and perseverance in accumulating a fine property. He had no advantages for an education-two terms at a district school being all that he ever enjoyed; but the training he received during his minority and his natural ability and determination admirably fitted him for the work of carving out of the wilderness the comfortable home which now, in his declining years, rewards him for his toil and industry.
Mr. MORROW is generous in support of all worthy enterprises, and is universally esteemed by all who know him for his many excellent qualities of head and heart.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 591.
These parents were not blessed with an abundance of this world's goods, and their children were forced to go out to work for their own living while yet very young. Their advantages for obtaining an education were, therefore, extremely limited, and our subject attended the district school not more than two or perhaps three terms, and never any school after he was ten years old.
For want of information we can speak only of that portion of our subject's career that dates from the time of his arrival in Georgetown in 1836. That year he, in company with HORACE CAMPBELL, engaged in merchandising. Mr. CAMPBELL soon retired, and SAMUEL WICKWIRE, who had been in trade here, was taken in as a partner, and they continued together for some years. His next business venture was that of keeping a hotel, which business he followed successfully a few years. In 1855 he, in company with his son-in-law, WILLIAM W. HARE, built a tannery, and carried on that business for several years. He also carried on farming quite extensively, and dealt in livestock very largely. He has been one of Georgetown's most active and enterprising business men, and no citizen of the town has been more highly esteemed for qualities of a high order. He has been kind to the poor; the unfortunate never appealed to him in vain for help; they were not only certain of his sympathy but his kindly assistance, and it seemed to afford him pleasure to do what he could consistently to alleviate the suffering and distress of the worthy poor; and now when the deepest affliction is upon him, he has the sympathy of all true men and women. Some three years ago he became entirely blind for some unknown cause, and since that time what is deplored more deeply by his family, and friends that are legion, his mind has become so shattered that he fails to recognize even the members of his household. He is tenderly cared for by his daughter, MARY S., and her husband, Mr. ALLEN, who are doing all in their power to smooth his pathway down to his last resting place.
When Mr. MOSELEY could take an interest in politics he was a staunch Republican. He was a firm and active friend of the Government in its struggle with a wicked rebellion, and rejoiced in its final triumph.
As an evidence of his popularity, his townsmen elected him to several offices of trust, the duties of which were performed with that honesty of purpose that has characterized his business and social life. He has been Justice of the Peace, Supervisor, and County Superintendent of the Poor six years, and again, the same office nine years in succession. He was also appointed Loan Commissioner, and performed the duties of that office several years. In religious sentiment he was a Baptist, and was a member of the church early in life, but severed his connection with it in Georgetown several years ago for reasons that seemed to him sufficient.
In 1824, the 21st day of September, he was united in marriage with MARY, daughter of Deacon TIMOTHY and MARY (HERRICK) CONANT, of Lebanon. She was born June 15th, 1805, and died March 28th, 1870. Her parents were among the early settlers in Lebanon. They had a family of nine children, namely: WESLEY, MARY, DORCAS, ALEXA, ROXEY, STOUGHTON, JANE, SUSAN and CLARISSA; only two of whom are now living-JANE, now Mrs. RUSSELL WHITMORE, of Georgetown, and CLARISSA, wife of Rev. Mr. GORMAN, of Wisconsin.
The children born to ZINAH and MARY MOSELEY were four in number, and their names and dates of birth are as follows: ROXEY, born January 20th, 1829, married WILLIAM W. HARE, of Georgetown, MAY 9th, 1848, died December 23d, 1877; ORREN E., born April 13th, 1833, died February 27th, 1834; MARY C., born June 6th, 1838, died July 7th, 1838; and MARY S., born July 16th, 1842, married MILTON D. ALLEN, of Georgetown, Sept. 19th, 1866.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 588.
When he reached his majority he went to Jamesville, Onondaga county, N. Y., and worked three years with GEORGE TIBBITTS and learned the carpenter and joiner's trade. He engaged for four years, but his last year's time he purchased of Mr. TIBBITTS and built a house for JOHN STEVENS, at Eagle village. He worked at his trade for about fifteen years He lived in Eagle village, in the town of Manlius, Onondaga county, twelve years, and then came to the town of Sullivan in 1849 and settled where his widow now resides. He purchased 110 acres. He added to his first purchase from time to time until he owned nearly three hundred acres in the immediate vicinity, and here he followed farming exclusively until he died, July 17, 1878.
February 3, 1836, Mr. PAGE was united in marriage with ROSEMOND, daughter of ICHABOD and LYDIA (POTTER) FILLMORE, of the town of Manlius, Onondaga county, N. Y. She was born May 4, 1816, in Manlius. The fruits of this union were five children, namely: WM. H., born in Manlius, Jan. 18, 1837, married SOPHIA ADAMS, of the town of Lenox, Madison county; ANN J., born in Manlius, Sept. 16, 1839, married JOHN Q. ADAMS, of Chittenango; HORACE B., born in Sullivan, May 1, 1849, married HATTIE NOURSE, of Chittenango Falls; HATTIE E., born in the town of Sullivan, Feb. 20, 1854, married CHARLES M. HALL, of Chittenango; and ALFRED E., born in Sullivan, Nov. 10, 1860. The death of Mr. PAGE was the result of an accident which occurred on the 10th of July. He was trying, during a terrible storm, to close his barn doors, when one of them was blown against him with great violence, inflicting injuries from which he died on the 17th, as above stated. By this sad accident the town of Sullivan lost an active, worthy, and prominent citizen. He was a man of indomitable industry and perseverance. Left to his own resources when young, by his irrepressible energy, frugality, sterling judgment and excellent management he acquired a competency. He was a man of thrift; whatever he did was well done. He was enterprising and public spirited. The temperance reform and all benevolent enterprises possessed in Mr. PAGE an earnest friend and supporter.
For many years he was a trustee of the Methodist society of Chittenango, and contributed liberally of his means towards the support of the church. His death was deeply lamented, or "when a good man dies the people mourn. His memory, fragrant and precious, is cherished by a fond family and a large circle of appreciative friends.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 759.
EPHRAIM's father was a miller by occupation, and for several years operated a mill that was situated on the site now occupied by the great Willimantic Thread Mill, said to be one of the largest in the world. EPHRAIM, as soon as he was able to work, was employed on a farm, attending district school winters. When he was about 19 years of age he learned the trade of cloth-dresser. He followed that business up to the time of and many years after his settlement in Log City, now Eaton, in 1824. The 10th of June of that year he married SALLY, daughter of BENJAMIN and BRIDGE PALMER, natives of Connecticut. The former was born Feb. 21, 1767, and the latter Feb. 14, 1767. They removed to Otsego county, N. Y., in 1820 and there died, the father Feb. 10, 1855, and the latter Aug. 19, 1839. They had 12 children, and SALLY is the only one of that number now living. She was born May 9, 1801, and is yet quite vigorous and active for one of her years, having her house affairs under her personal supervision, and managing and conducting the business of a dairy of forty cows.
EPHRAIM, when he left Connecticut, started with a team of two yoke of oxen, and brought the household goods of his parents in a sled, the journey being accomplished the entire distance to Otsego county, where they first settled, in 10 days. The trip was made in the winter and the Connecticut and Hudson rivers were crossed on the ice.
He followed his trade in Log City a number of years. About the year 1823, his brother HENRY came to the town of Lebanon, and purchased 60 acres, where the old homestead is and in which this venerable couple are now living, and where HENRY lived until he died. The latter and EPHRAIM carried on this farm adding by purchase from time to time, until it contained 335 acres. In the fall of 1848 HENRY C., the son of EPHRAIM, became interested in its management and after the death of HENRY the elder, and the inability of EPHRAIM on account of his weight of years, the sole management devolved upon him.
HENRY the brother was one of the most popular men in the town. He was a democrat and a zealous politician. After the formation of the Republican party he joined its ranks and was always until he died a warm advocate of its principles. He was honored by his townsmen with the best offices in their gift and was elected to the State Legislature in 1843. He was justice of the peace four years, superintendent of the poor three terms, assessor some years, and the duties of the offices to which he was elected were most faithfully and satisfactorily performed. He was the friend of peace and good order and was the chosen arbiter to settle difficulties between neighbors and contestants from far and near, such was the respect the people had for him, and the confidence reposed in his faith and good judgment. He never married. EPHRAIM was not fond of prominence and resisted all attempts to place himself in a position that would tend to make him conspicuous. He has the love and esteem of his townsmen however no less than his brother, but for reasons of a different character. Mr. and Mrs. EPHRAIM PALMER have one son, HENRY C., who has been mentioned before. He was born May 29, 1825. He married SUSAN A., daughter of SILAS DANFORTH, of West Eaton. HENRY C., has five children, HENRY D., WILLIE W., CORA, EPHRAIM C., and WALTER.
The oldest, HENRY D., is living with his uncle in Monmouth, Ill., associated with him in the management of a hotel there. WILLIE W., has charge of a store of general merchandise in West Eaton, assisted by his brother EPHRAIM C. WILLLIE was elected town clerk at the spring election in 1880 and such was his popularity with the people that he was elected by a majority even larger than that given the most popular supervisor that the town ever had, Dr. HOLMES.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 582.
He was a lineal descendant of one of three brothers by the name of PAYNE, who settled at Plymouth as early as 1621, and who were forced to leave England for the same cause that drove the Pilgrims to find a home in the New World. He was born at North East, Duchess county, New York, Dec. 3, 1762. His parents, ABRAM and REBECCA PAYNE, were natives of Connecticut. The former was born in 1722, and died in Hamilton, April 21, 1801, in his 80th year. The latter died in the same place Dec. 25, 1810, aged 86 years. They settled in Duchess county about 1760. They had four sons and four daughters. ELISHA was the youngest of the children and the only one that left issue.
In consequence of the misfortune that befell their parents in the loss of their property, ELISHA and SAMUEL cared for and supported them until they died.
ELISHA had but few advantages for an education, such only as were afforded by the common schools of his town, but his habits were of a studious character and he was fond of reading. Every good book that he was able to get he read carefully, and so stored his mind with valuable information that enabled him to competently discharge the duties of the various offices of trust and responsibility that were confided to him by his townsmen and those in authority in after years.
On the 17th of September, 1787, he was married to POLLY BROOKS, a native of Essex, Connecticut. She was born January 12, 1766, and died May 4, 1796. By her he had four children, three sons and one daughter, viz: ABRAM, JOHN, SAMUEL, and MARY.
August 17, 1797, he married ESTHER DOUGLASS, daughter of Rev. CALEB DOUGLASS, of Whitestown, one of the pioneers of that section, and a descendant of the DOUGLASS family of Scotland. ESTHER was born July 25, 1778, and died at Hamilton, Sept. 12, 1853. By her he had fourteen children, twelve sons and two daughters, two of whom died in infancy. The names of those who grew to maturity are here given in the order of their birth:-ELIJAH, (dead) ELSHA, living near Clinton, New York, MANSFIELD, (dead) JOSEPH, living in Seneca Falls, New York, NELSON, living near Auburn, New York, CHARLES C., living in Hamilton, New York, THOMAS, living in Illinois, near Chicago, MARIA, (dead) HENRY B., residing in Cleveland, WILLIAM, (dead) ESTHER, (dead) and EDWIN, living in Dayton, Ohio. Of the seven who are yet living, six are over seventy years of age.
In 1794 SAMUEL PAYNE settled in the dense forest near where now is the south line of the village of Hamilton. ELISHA came in the next year and bought lot No. 2, on which more than half of the village of Hamilton is situated. The name of Payne Settlement was given this locality, and a few years thereafter ELISHA changed it to Hamilton, in honor of one he greatly admired, Alex. Hamilton.
ELISHA built a rude log cabin near the corner now occupied by the Smith block, in which he lived a short time, but the influx of New England people who came as actual settlers, or with a view to settlement, demanded a larger and more commodious building in which they could find a temporary home. Accordingly Mr. PAYNE built a large frame house on the corner above referred to, which he kept as a tavern for several years, and until another building was put up for that purpose in 1812.
Mr. PAYNE was anxious that a village of importance should be built up here, and as an inducement in mechanics and others whose presence would help to bring about the results, he gave them land and helped them build their homes on the same. He gave the land for the Park that now greatly beautifies the village, and the same was used many years by the Militia of the adjoining towns as a parade ground.
Mr. PAYNE also gave land for burial purposes, and which is now known as the "Old Burying Ground." The internment of Mr. PAYNE's first wife, (POLLY), was the first made in these grounds.
Mr. PAYNE thoroughly identified himself with every enterprise that seemed to him would be of permanent benefit to Hamilton. He invested largely of his means in the construction of a turnpike from Cherry Valley through Hamilton to Skaneateles, the successful completion of which was mainly due to his influence. He was the friend of education, and was one of the few who were instrumental in establishing an Academy, which flourished here many years. According to a report of the second annual meeting of "The Baptist Education Society of the State of New York," held at Whiteborough, New York, June 2, 1819, we find that he was elected Trustee of the Society for the ensuing year; and that at a meeting of the Board of Trustees then and there elected, the following resolution was adopted: "That ELISHA PAYNE, of Hamilton, CHARLES BABCOCK, of New Hartford and SQUIRE MUNRO, of Camillus, be appointed a committee to ascertain the most eligible situation within the counties of Oneida, Madison, Onondaga and Cayuga, for the location of a Seminary and report to this Board at their next meeting." It was owing to his influence and his great success in securing subscriptions to the Society that the Seminary was finally located at Hamilton.
In politics Mr. PAYNE was a Federalist, and afterwards a Whig, and always took a great interest in his party's success. He was emphatically the leader of his party in his county for years and was chosen chairman of the meetings held by the party on all important occasions. He was one of the first Judges of the Court of Common Pleas, appointed by Morgan Lewis, Governor, March 11, 1806, and held that office about nine years.
In the early years of his residence here the people bestowed on him several offices of trust and honor, but in the closing years of his life he declined all offices of a public nature. Mr. PAYNE was devoted to the cause of Christianity. He was one of the founders of the Baptist church in Hamilton, and one of its earnest supporters, and assisted in building three churches in Hamilton, always giving liberally of his means when the cause of religion made a demand upon him.
In his domestic life Mr. PAYNE was a kind husband and a loving father, teaching his children by his upright life the value and importance of virtue, and inspiring them with the worthy ambition to be men and women in the loftiest sense of the word. His teachings were not forgotten, but are fully exemplified in the lives of his children.
ELISHA PAYNE died February 4, 1841.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 545.
ABIEZER PERKINS was born in Deerfield, in the State of Massachusetts, in the year 1754, and in 1781, at the age of twenty-three, he was married to IRENE LOOMIS, and in the year 1803, he removed with his family to the town of Cazenovia, in Madison county, N. Y., and located on a farm which he had previously purchased about two and one-half miles south of Cazenovia Village, on the road leading from that place to De Ruyter. It was thickly covered with heavy timber, and a line of marked trees only indicated the highway leading past his new home. He cleared the land of its timber and reduced it to a tillable condition, and resided upon it until his death which occurred September 20th, 1825, at the age of seventy-one years; his wife, IRENE, survived him about eleven years, and departed this life September 6, 1836. They were both members of the Baptist church in which ABIEZER PERKINS was at the time of his death and for many years previous thereto, a Deacon. Of this marriage there were five sons and two daughters, as follows: BYRAM, JEDUTHAN, ELIAB, POLLY, SALLY, ELEMANDER, and STILLMAN. ELEMANDER, the fourth son was born September 13th, 1792, and on the 9th of May, 1813, at the age of twenty-one, he married NANCY COLEY, before mentioned, who was at the time of her marriage eighteen years of age. After their marriage they resided for some years in the family of Deacon ABIEZER PERKINS, where on the 5th of December, 1814, WILLESS C., was born, and on the 8th of December, 1816, WILSON L. was born. These two brothers were the only sons of this family, and their lots seemed cast together, and together they have since lived and labored. In the spring of 1811, ELEMANDER PERKINS, with his wife and two sons then composing his family, removed to the farm then recently purchased by his father-in-law, the Rev. JOSEPH COLEY, about one-half mile further south on the De Ruyter road, which he carried on for a number of years, occupying the same house with his father-in-law.
In the autumn of 1824, ELEMANDER purchased a farm of about seventy acres located on the hill about one and one half miles from Cazenovia Village, on the road leading from Mechanicsville to Delphi. To this place he removed his family in the spring of 1825. Here was born on the 26th of April, 1830, an only daughter, MARY IRENE, who afterwards and on the 20th of December, 1847, at the age of seventeen, was married to CHARLES J. HALLIDAY, and died the following year, Oct. 10th, 1848. ELEMANDER PERKINS continued to reside here with the remainder of his family until his death in the 62d years of his age, on the 10th of April,1854. His widow survived him many years in vigorous active life, but after a short illness died December 21st, 1876, aged 81 years.
There remains of the family of ELEMANDER PERKINS only the two sons, WILLESS C., and WILSON L., who have lived together and wrought with a common interest on the old homestead with the exception of a short interval, since their boyhood, and by their continual industry and close attention to their business, have from time to time, added to the original farm until at present they own and cultivate about five hundred acres which they hold in common.
The elder of these brothers WILLESS C. was never married. WILSON L., at the age of twenty-four and on the 11th of March, 1840, was married to LUCRETIA RICE, daughter of ISAAC and ANNA RICE of Cazenovia, N. Y. She was at the time of her marriage in the twenty-second year of her age. They resided in the family of ELEMANDER PERKINS before mentioned where on the 6th of May, 1841, was born to them a son, FRANKLIN R., and on the 17th of the same month the young wife and mother departed this life.
Two years later and on the 1st of May, 1841, WILSON L., was married to his second wife, SARAH M. SALISBURY, daughter of MASON and RHODA SALISBURY of Cortland, N. Y. She was twenty-two years of age at the time of her marriage. They removed to Lyons, Wayne county, N. Y., where they resided a short time, but subsequently and in 1846 returned to the town of Cazenovia, and took up their residence on the farm which the brothers WILLESS C. and WILSON L. had then recently purchased from the estate of DAVID BILLINGS situated about one and one-half miles south from the village of Cazenovia, on the De Ruyter road and adjoining on the south the farm owned by their father, ELEMANDER. Here on the 10th of October, 1847, was born to them a son, JUDSON O., and a little more than two years later and on the 31st of March, 1850, another son, CHARLES H. But just beyond three years from that time the saddest event in the history of that household came upon them. On the 1st of August, 1853, the husband was again left a widower, and his children without a mother and another faithful earnest life was closed to this world forever. Shortly after this event WILSON L. with his three sons again returned to his old house where his brother and mother all lived as one family, until the 28th of October, 1856, When WILSON L. was married to SOPHIA E. MAY, of Akron, Ohio, grand-daughter of LUKE and PATIENCE MAY, of Cazenovia, in the twenty-first year of her age.
The eldest son of this family, FRANKLIN R., after spending some time as student at the Oneida Conference Seminary at Cazenovia, where he graduated in 1860, commenced the study of law and was admitted to practice as an attorney and counselor in the year 1864. In the same year he was commissioned as captain of Company E in the 22d Regiment of N. Y. S. V. Cav. and served with that Regiment in the war of the Rebellion until January, 1865, when he was honorably discharged and returned to the study of law, and in August, 1866, commenced practice in the city of Buffalo, N. Y., where he is still located, having served two successive terms from January 1st, 1872, to January 1st, 1876, as city attorney at that place. On the 10th of May, 1876, he was married to S. LOUISE WRIGHT, daughter of WILLIAM W. and ELEANOR WRIGHT, of Buffalo, N. Y.
The second son of the family, JUDSON O., after spending some time as a student at the "Oneida Conference Seminary" at Cazenovia, entered "Madison University" at Hamilton, N. Y., where he graduated with the class of 1872, entered the "Hamilton Theological Seminary," from which he graduated in 1874, was ordained as a minister in the Baptist church, settled over a congregation of that denomination in Copenhagen, N. Y., where he is still pastor, and in 1879 opened a school at that place called "Perkins Academy" which he is still conducting. He was married to ELLA M. NEWTON, daughter of CHRISTOPHER and MARY NEWTON, of Cazenovia, N Y., on the 4th of November, 1874.
The third son, CHARLES H., after attending school for some time at Cazenovia, and after arriving at manhood remained at home assisting in the business of the farm. He was married to ALICE C. KINGSLEY, daughter of A. Z. and POLLY KINGSLEY, of Hamilton, N. Y., on the 16th of October, 1872. She was twenty-two years of age at the time of her marriage. They settled and commenced house-keeping on the farm in a house located on the De Ruyter road. Here on the 15th of July, 1874, was born of this marriage a daughter, ALICE C., and later in the season and on the 28th of September, the young mother passed away leaving the new home lonely and desolate. Five years later and on the 2d of December, 1879, CHARLES H., married his second wife, CHARLOTTE A. TABER, daughter of B. W. and Amanda TABER, of Cazenovia, N. Y., and settled in his former home. The brother WILLESS C. and WILSON L. PERKINS, still reside at their old homestead and carry on their farm.
From "History of Chenango and Madison Counties, NY" starting on page 654.
Top of Page
Madison Co, NY Page