Town of Cazenovia Early Industries
Industry Product(s) Lifespan Notes
Lake Mills lumber & grains 1793-c.1910 A mill complex in the village of Cazenovia consisting of a
saw & gristmill. The sawmill was built (1793) by John
Lincklaen & the gristmill c.1797. Both operated until the
early 1900's. Foundries & machine shops were opened nearby
in the 1820's & 1830's.
Bingley Gristmill grains c.1800-c.1960 Begun by James Powell & passed through several owners until
it was bought by John Atkinson (1831). The mill was passed
on to his son Wm. who operated the mill until he sold it to
Floyd Brown. Brown operated the gristmill until around 1960
then kept up the machinery for electricity production.The old
mill was torn down about 1976 & many of the old machinery
parts were removed & reassembled in a museum in Jamestown,
N.Y. This mill is to be noted because it was one of the
longest lived industries in Cazenovia.
Chair Factory chairs 1806-c.1848 Operated by Nehemiah White 1806 to 1815 when he sold to
Ebenezer Knowlton who built an oil mill nearby. Knowlton,
& later his son Edmund, made chairs in the shop until the late
1840s; later the building was used as a print shop & book
bindery by the firm of Mills, Crandall & Mosley.
Cazenovia Woolen Mill woolens 1808-c.1853 Begun by Elisha Farnham as a clothiers works. He was also in
partnership with John Lincklaen & Elisha Starr in 1813. Sold
in 1815 to Mathew Chandler & Son who later sold to John
Williams. The 1834 mill building is still standing; (now part
of Buyea's Hardware); later housed a gun shop & carriage shop.
Triphammer Works large forged items c.1808-c.1818 Opened by Luther Brunell near the site of the present Buyea's
Hardware; produced iron objects too large for a blacksmith to
John Hearsey Brewery beer c.1809-1911 Begun by Sylvanius Dyer & later run by Hearsey until his
death; the brewery was later converted to the "Grotto House,"
a hotel & the brewery was moved to the back of the lot. The
brewery-Grotto House was torn down (1911) to make way for
construction of the Atwell feed mill which still stands. The
distillery was later run by John Wilson (c.1890) then Wilson
& Roach, then by Harmon & Roach who were coal dealers. Harmon
& Roach were bought out by the Cazenovia Lumber & Coal Co.
who now have fuel oil tanks on the site.
Cazenovia Paper Mill paper products 1810-c.1875 Begun by Zadock Sweetland; continued by the Sweetland family
until c.1865. Paper manufacturing was carried on for another
decade by Henry Monroe; after several fires the mill ceased.
The site was soon occupied by J.F. Crawford Mower Works.
Hat Factory hats c.1810-c.1825 Operated for about 15 years behind the chair factory by John
Brevoort & Jere Allis. Edward P. Allis, son of Jere, worked
here for a time & at one of the machine shops in the village
before moving to Milwaukee where he became founder of the
Tannery tanned leathers 1815-c.1880 Begun by Thomas & John Williams in the village. They sold to
Rufus & Russell G. Allen about 1822; soon moved the factory
about one mile north of the village. Allens discontinued
(1851). Rufus moved to Two Rivers, Wisc., where he opened
another tannery which by the 1880s had grown to be the
largest tannery in the world. The Cazenovia tannery was then
operated by Andrew Dardis, a Cazenovia shoemaker.
Oil Mill oil & machine c.1815-1865 Built by Ebenezer Knowlton; used as an oil mill & machine
shop products shop until the end of 19th c. From about 1865 the building
was owned by Stone, Marshall & Card who produced among other
things, tower clocks, glass ball traps, & specialized mill
machinery. The bldg. was later owned by the village & used
as a repair shop. It was torn down about 1940.
Tower Clock tower clocks 1830-1875 Jehiel Clark, Sr. was descended from a famous Plymouth,
Manufacurers Conn., clockmaking family & worked from 1830 to 1847. His
son, Jehiel Clark Jr. made clocks from 1845 to 1850. Austin
VanRiper, who may have succeeded the Clarks, was also a
tower clock maker who worked in the village from 1850 to
1858. Stone & Marhsall, whose clocks are found nationwide,
continued in the tradition of VanRiper from 1858 to 1875.
Cedar Grove woolens 1837-1852 Opened on the site of the old gristmill run by William Burton
Woolen Mills & John Hearsey, by E.S. Jackson & his son Rensselaer; ran
until fall in prices for woolen goods forced them to sell in
1850. The mill was purchased by Henry Ten Eyck who owned an-
other woolen mill in the Pompey Hollow; he operated it for a
short time until the building burned (1852). The site was
later occupied by L.E. Swan, who manufactured bookbinders'
boards in the 1860s & '70s & the Cazenovia Wool & Felt Co.
around then turn of the century.
Carriage Makers carriages & c.1845-1890 Combs & Shute made carriages in the village, c.1845 to 1870.
wagons Silas E. Morse made carriages & sleighs in New Woodstock,
c.1860 to 1880. J.H. O'Neil made wagons & carriages in the
old Cazenovia Woolen Mill building in the east part of the
village, c.1870 to 1890.
Sash Factory doors, windows, 1848-c.1930s Begun at the Lake Mills on Mill Street in the village by
paneling, custom VanDriesen & Bliss. In 1851 it was moved to a new building
woodwork on Chittenango Creek about two miles north of village. About
1853 VanDriesen sold to Ames & Thayer; after several business
changes was known as T.W. Thayer & Co. who continued the
industry until the 1930s. This was perhaps the most
successful of Cazenovia's many varied industries.
Shelter Valley woolens 1850-1901 One of the industries that sprang up after the opening of the
Woolen Mills Cazenovia & Chittenango Plank Road; this large manfactory
supported a machine shop, boarding house, & half a dozen
workers' cottages. Opened by Williams, Ledyard & Stebbins; the
mill flourished until the main mill building burned (1901).
American Lock locks & keys 1875-1878 Begun by Philo S. Felter in Cincinnatus (1875); soon moved to
Company Cazenovia. Felter exhibited his products at the 1876 Centennial
Exhibition in Philadelphia. In 1878 the company was sold lock,
stock, & barrel to the Yale Lock Co. of Stamford, Conn. & the
equipment was moved to that city.
Cardner Box Factory cheese boxes 1867-c.1940 Manufactured cheese boxes on Limestone Creek in New Woodstock;
run by the Cardner family for four generations; produced more
than one million cheese boxes in 1915. The Morse Cheese Box
factory also operated in New Woodstock c. 1860 to c. 1880.
Crawford Mower Works mowers & reapers 1875-c.1885 Started by Rev. Joesph F. Crawford in Ilion (1871) moved to
Cazenovia (1875). In 1876, he built a spacious new factory
designed by Syracuse architect Archimedes Russell; products
sold across the country & around the world; business was un-
fortunately overly expanded & production rapidly declined;
company folded about ten years after opening. The bldg.,
which is still standing, later housed the Bentley Shoe Co.,
the Cazenovia Electric Co., a canning factory, Loysters
Diepress Co., GLF & Waterbury & Coe feed store.
Belmont Powder Mill gunpowder late 1890s Operated by a Col. Griswold; mill & surrounding buildings
blew up in 1898.
: This information provided (with permission) from the Madison County Historical Society publication Country Roads Revisited
for information on publications & services the Society can provide.
Date: Monday, March 1, 1999 07:11 PM