Town of Lenox Early Industries
Industry Product(s) Lifespan Notes
Lenox Iron Co. furnaces, cutlery 1815-1847 Company invested $20,000 to establish village where comp-
ware, plowcastings any was located & employees could live. (Lenox Furnace)
Woolen Factory fine cloth 1860-1879 Founded by George B. Cady; new machinery was installed
(1867) & thereafter the factory employed about 25. (Lenox
Patten & Stafford harrows, field 1866-1909 Based on a patent granted by the senior partner, William Pat-
rollers, wheelbar- ten, for a dumping hay rake; the company, with Norman
rows, New York Stafford as junior partner,was known nationwide for its
Champion Rakes high quality agricultural machinery. (Canastota)
Canastota Knife Co. knives, cutlery 1874-1895 Canastota knives sold nationwide, about 600 sytles man-
instruments ufactured including cigar cutters & knives for removing
stones from horses' hooves. (Canastota)
Canastota Match Co. matches 1880s-1890 Located in a lg. one story brick building, with many vents on
roof to emit phosphorus. Situated on E. Canal St., late site
of Marvin Magnetic & Ideal Cut Glass. Absorbed by Diamond
Match in 1890 which is still in existence today. (Canastota)
Marvin Magnetic experimental Mag- c.1890-1900 The magnetic drill was a heavy steel tripod supported by a
Drill Experi- nettized rock vertical shaft with a piston-like device on top surrounded by
mental Co. drills 2 electrical coils working as magnets. With the development
of portable air compressors, the research & idea were
Sherwood Factory children's toys 1890-1910s First child's wagon with springs made here. Also a flexible
steering mechanism for sleds was devised in addition to
roller skates. (Canastota)
Canastota Glass Co. window glass 1881-early A very busy & important co., organized with $40,000 captial
20th centruy stock & within the next decade had $120,000 capital stock.
Most of its glass was made with sand from Oneida Lake.
Lindley Boat Co. pleasure boats, 1906-1920s D.M. Tuttle created a new & superior gasoline engine for boats
fishing & speed in 1896. Ten years later, fellow Canastotan Wm. H. Lindley set
boats up a boat manufactory on the banks of the Erie Canal.
Smith & Ellis household 1893-early Large & important factory. Went through ownership & name
furniture 1930s changes to Ellis, Joyce & Hildreth, later to the Lenox Shops.
They maintained showrooms on 44th Street & Lexington Ave.,
New York City. (Canastota)
Watson Wagon Works dumping wagons 1893- c.1930s David S. Watson was granted a patent for a horsedrawn dumping
(horsedrawn); later wagon. "First in the field & last to the repair shop," was the
motorized) truck co.'s slogan. The U.S. government purchased 15,000 during World
& bus bodies War I. After the war the company was reincorporated (1926) as
the Rex-Watson Corp.; built truck & bus bodies. Later rein-
corportaed as Henny Motors, the firm was taken over by Titan
Mobile Homes until the late 1970s. (Canastota)
American Mutoscope film projectors; c.1898-early Founded by Harry Marvin & Herman Casler. They gave a public
& Biograph Co. drills 20th century showing of the earliest films with their Biograph projector at
the Bruce Opera House, 4-5 Feb. 1898. Their employee, Harry
Weed, perfected & patented the Weed Tire Chain, a chain to
attach to car tires for increased traction in winter. (Canastota)
Ideal Cut Glass Co. cut glassware 1903-1933 Established in Corning, moved (1905); cut glass from patterns;
glass brought in from elsewhere. (Canastota)
Conomikes Candy Co. confectionery 1917 Canastota's major candymaker.
Diemolding Co. molded plastics 1920-present Donald Dew & Joseph Holden began the company in rented quraters.
goods, candy Present factory now in Canastota with subsidaries in Wampsville &
Note: This information provided (with permission) from the Madison County Historical Society publication Country Roads Revisited. MCHS for information publications & services the Society can provide.
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 12:48 AM