City of Oneida Early Industries
Industry Product(s) Lifespan Notes
H. H. Phelps & Co. tannery 1840-1860s First industry in Oneida; Herman H. Phelps, the founder, was
also namesake of Phelps Street. The factory was used as a malt
house in 1871.
Oneida Ltd. silverware & 1848-present Founded originally as part of Juhn Humphrey Noyes' Perfec-
tableware tionist group, the community ran farms to maintain self suf-
ficiency. Later the manufacture of bags, then animal traps,
was added. By 1914 the table & silverware operation (originally
set up in Niagara Falls, Canada was moved to Sherrill and
expanded. (Kenwood & Sherrill)
George Berry's tanned hides; 1857-c.1880 Largest, most successful of the tanneries in town.
Monitor Hand Cart hand carts c.1870-1930s Located at the southwest corner of Cedar & Phelps Streets in
Works the building originally used by the Saunders & Barrett Carriage
Works. The hand carts were known & used nationally. The founder,
F. J. Aubeuf, was a native of France; his son, E. P. was involved
as manager in 1909.
Wescott Chuck Co. lathe chucks 1872-early Founded (1872) as Oneida Steam Engine & Foundry Co. John H.
1960s Wescott patented the Wescott Chuck; he eventually bought the
foundry incorporating it (1885) as Wescott Chuck Co.
Other Chuck lathe chucks 1860s Oneida National Chuck Co., organized 1897; Oneida Manufacturing
Companies Chuck Co., 1890-1897, was later absorbed into Oneida National
National Casket Co. burial caskets 1860-1960 John Maxwell consolidated (1881) his vault works with Chappell,
Tuttle & Co., & other casket companies to produce the giant
National Casket Co. They produced the burial caskets for New
York governor Samuel J. Tilden & General U. S. Grant. Company
survives on a smaller scale, based in Boston.
Oneida Iron Works portable & sta- 1870s T. E. Mayne & D. Carpenter, former employees of Wood, Taber &
tionary engines Morse of Eaton, worked here when the iron works was founded.
& boilers Located on present site of Oneida Royal Heater Co. (esatblished
Powell & Goldstein cigars, chewing 1879-1943 Best known brand was Napoleon (but Roman King was toward end
Cigar Co. tobacco of company's existence). Although John E. Powell, 26, died in
1883 of Brights disease, Julius M. Goldstein retained Powell's
name in company name & logos. A branch factory was maintained
in Hanover, PA. Incorporated (1921), Powell & Goldstein was the
largest of many cigar factories in Oneida.
Other Cigar cigars late 19th cen- L. F. Bennett; J. M. Bennett & Sons; Nathan Noto; Smith Bros.;
Manufacturers tury-early 20th Hummell & Warr; Kenny Bros.; John Pichler; M. H. Thompson & Co.,
century to name a few.
Oneida Carriage buggies & other 1889-1910 Although recognized as one of New York's leading carriage
Works horsedrawn makers, the Works was never financially successful, leading
vehicles to its dissolution (1898).
Other Carriage buggies & other 1925-1927 Upton & Holden, founded 1869; Dapson & Wolf, founded 1898;
Works horsedrawn J. Barrett & Sons (later Barrett & Saunders), founded 1849.
O. W. Sage window sashes & 1887-late 1890s Sage's plant was on Sconondoa Street & was later the Olney
Manufacturing Co. blinds, doors Bros. Canning Co.
Smith-Lee bottle caps, paper 1898-present Founded by Charles A. Lee & Monroe C. & Hurlbut W. Smith.
products Merged with (1932) the Kleen Kap Corp. of Liverpool. In 1957
they manufactured 8 to 10 million bottle caps a day. Paper,
paper related products are main line today.
Cadet Hosiery Co. hosiery 1902-1920 Founded as the Oneida Hosiery Co., it was acquired by Cadet (a
large Philadelphia concern). Was located in the old Dodge pulley
plant on Liberty Street.
Stanton Paper Box Co. boxes for silver- 1906-present Founded by Elmer A. & Archibald G. Stanton. The firm was
ware, tools, drugs, incorporated (1921) & during World War II manufacture was
candy, stationary, confined to packaging for war material.
Hinman Milking milking machines 1907-present Founded by A. V. Hinman, the company maintained a plant on
Machine Co./Hartman for farms Elizabeth Street, across from Oneida Jr. High School from 1911
Enterprises Inc. until 1973 at which time the Hartman Enterprises Inc. assumed
total control of the business. Hartman still occupies the old
Hinman building & still manufactures milking machines.
Ferrara Furniture Co. household furni- 1906-present Gerado Ferrara founded the co. to make furniture but began
ture; Natural Voice manufacturing Natural Voice Phonographs (1916). Factory stood
Phonographs on Wilson Street.
Reynolds Safety Light automatic dimmer 1915-1920s The device, patented by Oneida National Chuck Co. manager
for headlights of Herman M. Reynolds, worked by pressing a lever which released
oncoming autos a balck curtain mounted on top of the windshield.
: This information provided (with permission) from the Madison County Historical Society publication Country Roads Revisited
. Click MCHS
for information on services & publications the Society can provide.
Date: Monday, January 24, 2000