The village of Hamilton, situated in the Chenango Valley, and surrounded by a picturesque landscape, is among the most progressive and promising villages of the Empire State. For years after the date of the Declaration of American Independence, the site of the now flourishing village was yet in the primeval forest. Not until 1812 did the struggling little hamlet assume the dignity of a "village." Thus a veritable wilderness on the outposts of civilization and overgrown with timber and underbrush, has, in a comparatively short period, been transformed, by the brain and hand of man, into a centre of human activity, with varied and growing interests, and with direct and rapid communication to all parts of the country. The insignificant hamlet, whose business consisted principally in a little barter in furs, grain and salt, has given way to one of the finest and most prosperous villages in the State, with spacious streets and imposing business blocks, handsome residences, and charming surroundings.
Prior to 1792, Hamilton had no official existence, and until its incorporation as a village in 1812, it was know [sic] as Payne's Hollow. So far as can be learned, it contained but few white residents. The place was settled by Elisha Payne in 1792. He built a hotel on what is now the corner of Broad and Lebanon streets. Payne was married three times; his first wife, who died in 1796, was the first white person to die in Hamilton; she was buried in a plot of ground (the present Lebanon Street Cemetery,) given to the settlement by Payne. The first Baptist Church was built in 1796, on the site now occupied by the north end of the Village Park. This building was destroyed by fire in 1801. The second edifice was erected on the lot north of the site of the burned Hotel Hamilton, and contained the first church bell ever hung in town. The main building was removed in 1845; the session room was transformed into the dwelling now on that lot. The third and present edifice was erected in 1843.
Dr. Thomas Greely, Hamilton's first physician, settled here in 1796. The first grist mill was built in 1800, and was replaced by a new structure in 1808. This building is now standing near the railroad depot, and is the second oldest building in town. Two of the oldest buildings in Hamilton are those occupied by Frank Pierce and E. J. Enos. The first two stores were opened in 1800. One was located where the Fairchild residence stands on Broad street, and the other on the corner occupied by the Sperry building. The frame of the latter of these stores is now the frame of a Madison street barn. The Park House was built in 1807.
The first public hall was located in a hotel on Eaton street, built in 1811, and afterwards known as the Triangle Building. Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution, (now Colgate University,) was founded in 1818, and occupied the second story of a building on the north west corner of Broad and Pleasant streets. This building was destroyed by fire in 1855. Nichols and Beal's drug store was founded by Joseph Mott in 1822. The congregational Church was founded in 1828, and Madison Street Cemetery was opened by that society in the same year.
The old Eagle Hotel was erected in 1830, and was the largest stone building between Utica and Binghamton.
The first fire company was organized in 1832. The work of constructing the Chenango Canal was commenced in 1834, and completed in 1836. The canal was discontinued in 1876. St. Thomas' Church was founded in 1835. The Village Park on Broad street was planted by Ferdinand Walker in 1835. The material for grading was taken from the Chenango Canal, then in course of construction.
Hamilton Union School was opened in 1858.
St. Mary's Catholic Church was built in 1869, and destroyed by a tornado June 7th, 1875. The corner stone of the present church was laid in 1875.
The M. E. Church was moved to its present site in 1870. Previous to that it occupied the south west corner of Charles and John streets, but was originally built near Madison Reservoir.
The railroad was first opened from Utica to Hamilton in 1870.
Woodlawn Cemetery, which lies on the slope of the uplands west of the village, was opened in 1881.
Its first officers were:
|President,||W. R. Brooks.|
|Vice-President,||F. T. Pierce.|
|Sec. and Treas.,||M. Tripp.|
|M. Tripp,||B. F. Bonney,||J. Mason,||E. W. Foote,|
|A. Pierce,||W. R. Brooks,||F. T. Pierce,||J. M. Banning.|
|W. R. Brooks,||M. Tripp,||J. M. Banning.|
Hamilton offers many advantages. Its location is everything that can be desired, and its eligibility as a village of homes has been a prominent factor in the development of its natural resources. Its broad, well kept business thoroughfares, its handsome, tree-shaded residential streets, and its numerous elegant private residences, combine to make it an attractive place in which to live. Surrounded by a rich and fertile agricultural section, the citizens have an abundance of fresh and cheap food products of every description. The rent of dwellings is reasonable, the cost of building low. There are few who do not labor in some useful occupation. The wealth is well distributed among the population: there are many well to do, but few really poor, and shabby or unsightly houses are few in the village. The inhabitants generally are energetic, pushing, and progressive, and there are few other villages in the Empire State that present such a healthy, solid growth, socially and morally, while the strength of position attained in trade is a standing tribute to the prudence and foresight of the capitalists, merchants, and investors who are here engaged in business pursuits. The mercantile establishments are many. Every description of merchandise can be purchased here. The stores are well stocked and admirably equipped. A classified list of the business houses in successful operation is given herewith:
Without efficient, economical local government, no community can be progressive or prosperous. The people of Hamilton, at an early period in their history, realized this fact. While at all times careful to preserve a low rate of taxation, the citizens have never been niggardly in carrying out public improvements, and these have always been made in a way to ensure perfection and durability. As a consequence, the sanitary condition of the village has been maintained at a high standard, and this, coupled with the advantages of favorable location, has contributed to a low rate of mortality. Indeed, the mortality returns show Hamilton to be one of the most healthful villages in the state. The village has practically less than $25,000 indebtedness, and this, with its many improvements, water works, electric light plant, &c., gives a financial status that but few other villages in the country can equal. The property valuation is about $730,000, and on a fair estimate the real value is about double that amount. The taxation rate is 7 60/100 per $1,000 of assessed valuation. E. P. Sisson is President of the village.
The trustees are:
|P. C. Brownell,||E. L. Kingsbury,||S. D. Smith,|
|H. H. Matterson,||C. R. Payne,||G. G. Sperry,|
|Secretary,||B. J. Stimson.|
The supply of water for household and manufacturing purposes, is practically unlimited, and protection from fire is as completely assured as in any village in the country. The water supply for Hamilton is secured from Woodman's Pond. By gravity the water is carried a distance of two miles, through tile pipes, to the filter bed, and thence into the well; from there it is pumped into the tower or stand pipe having a capacity of 200,000 gallons, and sufficient elevation to give 200 pounds pressure per square inch into the pipe system. Citizens of Hamilton may well congratulate themselves, not only on the abundance of water with which the village is blessed, but on its excellent quality. The water works plant is owned and controlled by the village. Pure, wholesome water is therefore furnished to all, at a cost much less than that charged where the water works are owned by private corporations. The electric light plant is also owned and controlled by the village of Hamilton, and as to cost, the same remarks apply as to the water works. The electric light plant is one of the most complete in the State. Among the equipments, mention is made of two dynamos, one a 60-arc light for street lighting, and the other a 1,000-light incandescent for commercial purposes. The equipment further includes a duplicate set of boilers and engines, so that in case of a breakdown to any part of the machinery of the electric light or water works plant, there is a full complement of equipments in reserve to operate both plants. The contract for the engineering work of the water plant was let to the Stanwix Engineering Company, of Rome, N.Y., who employed Mr. J. W. Clark of this village as the engineer in charge. The construction of the electric light plant was in charge of Mr. C. O. Mailloux, of New York city. The management of the water works and electric light plant is under the present jurisdiction of the following commissioners:
|President,. . . . . .||Wm. M. West.|
|Secretary, . . . . . .||James M. Taylor.|
|Treasurer, . . . . . .||Melvin Tripp.|
The present superintendent is E. L. Kingsbury.
In order to promote the best interests of Hamilton, the Hamilton Village Improvement Association was organized June 24th, 1884. The organization began with about twenty members. The first work was to cut out trees from the Village Park, and to grade the same. This was done at an expense of $229, and from that time forth the organization had the care of the Village Park. An extension south of this park has also been laid out at an expense of from $500 to $600, also a plot at the junction of Pine and Mill streets, and another on Lebanon street. With the exception of an appropriation of $20 per year from the village, they have borne the expense of the care of the park and plots. The association has expended several thousand dollars since its organization. Besides the direct improvements made by the association, much has been accomplished in the way of stimulating the individual property owners to more care and improvement of their private grounds. The Village Improvement Association has 31 members. Its present officers are as follows:
|President,. .||B. F. Bonney.|
|Vice-President, . .||Melvin Tripp.|
|Treasurer, . .||LeRoy Fairchild.|
|Secretary, . .||E. P. Sisson.|
|E. B. Gaskell,||L. M. Royce,||J. M. Rowlands,|
|D. C. Mott,||Wm. R. Rowlands.|
Hamilton's banking business is perhaps the strongest support of the mercantile interests of the village. The National Hamilton Bank is noted for its sound, energetic, yet conservative management. It commands the entire confidence of business men and capitalists, and holds a high rank among the financial institutions of the state.
The transportation facilities of Hamilton are furnished by the N. Y., O. & W. Ry. having direct communication with New York. Connections are made at Sidney with the D. & H. R. R., and at Utica with the D., L. & W. R. R., N. Y. C. R. R., and West Shore R. R.
The press of Hamilton is fully up to the best grade of newspaper enterprise. The Hamilton Republican is issued weekly. It was established in 1830, and is now conducted by Hawkins and Elliott. The Madisonensis, a college paper issued from Colgate University, is also one of the leading publications of its class.
Office hours from 7 A. M. to 8 P. M., daily, except Sundays and holidays.
In 1816 the church granted letters to a number of its members who organized the Baptist churches in Eaton and Lebanon. In 1819 the Second Baptist Church was organized in the eastern part of Hamilton by members dismissed for this purpose.
In 1807 was formed by the church, the missionary society which became, in 1825, the Baptist Missionary Convention of the State of New York. In 1817 the Baptist Education Society was formed by members of this church, although the society was not incorporated until 1819.
The church has erected three houses of worship: the first in 1810, which was the first house of worship erected in this part of the State; the second in 1819, and the present building in 1843.
From the formation of the church, nearly one hundred years ago, to the present, there has not been a single Lord's day on which the church has not met for Christian worship. The present membership numbers 513.
The church property consists of an extensive lot on the east side of Madison street. The present buildings are the church, the rectory, and the parish building (the latter built in 1853, and long used for a parish school house,) with ample room for the enlargement of the present buildings, or the erection of new ones. The property is free from debt.
The parish organizations are the Ladies' Aid Society, or Senior Branch of the Woman's Auxiliary, and the Girls' Guild, or Junior Branch of the Woman's Auxiliary.
The church is a Gothic structure, furnished in a churchly manner, --- the altar, lectern, font, and several windows being memorials of former faithful members.
The parish numbers about 90 communicants.
Among the rectors who have been in charge of St. Thomas' parish, may be mentioned: Dr. Tyler, Dr. Porter, Dr. Murray, Dr. Wilkinson, Mr. DeMille, and Dr. Cross. The present rector is Frank P. Harrington, who came to Hamilton Jan. 1st, 1893.
In 1851 the church building was totally destroyed by fire, but it was soon rebuilt, the present structure being dedicated in 1853. This building was improved and refurnished in 1871, at an expense exceeding the original cost of construction. A severe storm in June, 1874, overturned the spire, and otherwise damaged the church, but the injury was immediately repaired.
The original membership of nine communicants has multiplied until there are now 168 members. The Bible School enrolls 125 teachers and pupils. There is a Y. P. S. C. E. of 45 members, and there are 30 Junior Christian Endeavorers.
Beautifully situated just between the business and residence portions of the town, on the finest part of Broad street, opposite the Park, the church is easily accessible from the private residences and all the hotels. At a short distance from the church, on John street, is the manse belonging to the church where resides the pastor, Rev. Lathrop C. Grant.
St. Mary's Catholic parish was organized by the very Rev. A. P. Ludden, V. F., (now of Little Falls,) in 1869. Previous to this the place was attended, from time to time, by priests from Norwich. Divine services were held for a time in the Town Hall, now the residence of D. H. Foster.
On the 28th of July, 1869, Lyman Rogers and wife deeded to Wm. McDonnell and John Kelly the first piece of land ever sold in the village for a Catholic church; at different times up to April, 1878, other pieces were added, the total purchase being $1,105. A frame structure was erected on the ground, but a few years afterward was blown down in a violent storm one Sunday in June, shortly after the congregation had left. In 1875 Father Ludden laid the corner stone of the present building, which has the strength of a fortress. It cost about $20,000, and was generously subscribed to by many members of the other churches in town. Father Ludden also purchased, on April 1st, 1873, from Sandford Gardiner, five acres of land at $1,000, for the present handsome cemetery.
In September, 1880, Father Ludden was changed to Little Falls by Bishop McNeirney, and was succeeded by Rev. W. B. Hannett, of Amsterdam, who administered the parish till his death on the 17th of October, 1889. Father Hannett built the pretty Catholic church at West Eaton, which is attended from St. Mary's. The present pastor, Rev. J. V. MacDonnell, was appointed assistant to Father Hannett in July, 1888, and pastor in January, 1890, the outmission of Sherburne being cut off and created an independent parish.
Father MacDonnell has succeeded in paying off, since 1890, debts to about the amount of $3,600, including $1,500 of the mortgage, the present mortgage being $4,500, held by the Dissel estate in Syracuse.
The present parochial house is what was the former frame church. The present value of the whole church property, including the cemetery, is $20,000. The trustees of this parish, as in every other parish in the Diocese of Syracuse, to which this Parish belongs, are the Right Rev. Bishop, the Vicar General, the pastor, and two laymen, who are nominated by the pastor.
The Bishop of the Diocese of Syracuse the Right Rev. P. A. Ludden, D. D., consecrated May 1st, 1887, and cousin to the Very Rev. A. P. Ludden, formerly pastor of St. Mary's.
The number of Catholic families is about 66 and membership about 320.
Numerically the membership has never been large. Spiritually it has never failed, in its history of over seventy years, to make itself felt in the community.
For many years previous to 1836, the society worshipped in a small chapel, which stood on the late Elijah Thompson farm, north east from the village nearly two miles.
The present edifice stood on the corner of John and Charles streets for more than 30 years, and was removed to the present site in the year 1867.
At no time has the property been exceptional in its character: the present parsonage, however, built last winter, is modern and complete in its appointments. (See page 19.)
The itinerant system as acted advantageously here. Ministers now high in the counsels of the church have served as pastors. We scan the roll and read the names of such men as A. J. Crandall, (the first pastor,) Leonard Bowdish, S. P. Gray, W. R. Cobb, Dwight Williams, T. J. Bissell, Theron Cooper, W. S. Titus, I. D. Peaslee, G. G. Dains, Gordon Moore, E. W. Jones, Bishop E. G. Andrews, of New York, and Bishop J. P. Newman, of Omaha, Neb.
The membership is now 133, and 20 probationers. Every department is carried on with zeal. Rev. George Sharpe is pastor.
|President,. . . . . . .||Adon N. Smith.|
|Clerk, . . . . . . . .||George Beal.|
|P. C. Brownell,||J. W. Hurn,||O. S. Nichols,|
|N. R. Wickwire,||B. J. Stimson,||U. C. Van Vleck,|
|R. W. Thomas.|
There is also "Emily Judson" Hall, a preparatory school for women, under the proprietorship of Mrs. Mary Davis Moore. This is an educational institution of much merit, and is highly endorsed by leading educators from this and other states.
Hamilton is also the seat of Colgate University, one of the leading institutions of higher learning allied with the Baptist denomination. The beautiful campus, of more than two hundred acres, lies just south of the village; and the principal buildings rise on the slope of the hill overlooking the valley to the northward. The presence of the University has contributed much to the beauty and prosperity of the village, and has added to the other attractions of Hamilton all the advantages of a college town.
The institution was founded in 1818, as the Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution. In 1846 it was granted the full powers and privileges of a university, and assumed the name of Madison University. In 1890, its name was changed to Colgate University, in appreciation of the long continued and large beneficence of the Colgate family.
The University consists of three schools or departments under the control of one board of trustees. The oldest of these is the Divinity School, or Hamilton Theological Seminary. This occupies a beautiful building known as Eaton Hall, has a faculty of seven professors with additional instructors and lecturers, and has, usually, about fifty students. Next is the College, which has a faculty of twenty professors and instructors, and about one hundred and sixty students. Its buildings are as follows, in the order of their erection: West College and East College, used as dormitories; Alumni Hall, used mainly for recitation purposes; the Chemical Laboratory, the Library, and the Gymnasium. The preparatory school of the University is known as Colgate Academy. It occupies a well equipped building of its own, known as William Colgate Memorial Hall, and has, in addition, a small building called Taylor Hall, devoted to the uses of the Academy literary societies. It has a faculty of eight teachers, and about one hundred and twenty-five students.
The unproductive property of the University is worth in the neighborhood of $650,000. Its total productive endowment amounts to about $1,600,000. It is thus admirably equipped for the work of a first rate college, and its future prosperity is thereby assured, as also, in large measure, that of the village with which its history and life are so vitally connected.
Hamilton Lodge, No. 120, F. & A. M., has a membership of 196. Its present officers are, Dr. George B. Palmer, Master; Chas. H. Van Tuyl, Sr. Warden; Wm. P. Sheldon, Jr. Warden; Wm. M. West, Treasurer; B. J. Stimson, Sec'y; John F. Howe, Tyler; John J. Taylor, Sr. Deacon; W. D. Stimson, Jr. Deacon; Masters of Ceremonies, A. P. Lewis and Geo. L. Waldron. Trustees, U. C. Van Vleck, F. H. Ingalls, Joseph Mason.
Cyrus Chapter, No. 50, R. A. M., has a membership of 91. The present officers are, Thos. H. Beal, High Priest; Adon N. Smith, King; H. S. Gardiner, Scribe; U. C. Van Vleck, Treas.; B. J. Stimson, Sec'y; George L. Gifford, C. H.; Chas. E. Smith, P. S.; Wm. P. Sheldon, R. A. C.; John F. Howe, Sentinel; Wm. Gavin, Sidney D. Smith, F. W. Piotrow, Masters of Veils. Trustees, V. Piotrow, Wm. M. West, E. E. Welton.
Odd Fellows, Tuscarora Lodge, No. 669, was organized in Oct., 1893, and has a members of 94. The officers at present are, J. M. Welch, Noble Grand; Charles Barney, Vice Grand; L. F. Reed, Recording Secretary; G. H. Perkins, Permanent Secretary; J. W. Rowlands, Treas.
Waukesha Encampment Patriarchal, No. 101, has 24 members. The present officers are, M. J. Clark, C. P.; C. E. Richardson, J. W.; F. H. Crosby, Treas.; G. H. Perkins, Scribe.
Hasbe Lodge, No. 76, Daughters of Rebecca, has 26 members. The present officers are, Anna Murdock, N. G.; Jennie A. Campbell, V. G.; Fannie Perkins, Sec'y; J. I. Baker, Treas.
Hamilton Lodge No. 208, A. O. U. W., has 69 members. Its present officers are, Thomas Stradling, Past Master Workman; J. I. Baker, Master Workman; Perlee Fiske, Foreman; V. Piotrow, Overseer; J. Stone, Recorder; Martin McDonnell, Financier; E. B. Sheldon, Receiver; G. G. Sperry, Guide; W. W. Ray, I. W.; Thos. Flaherty, O. W. Meeting nights 2nd and 4th Mondays, in Russell Hall.
Women's Christian Temperance Union. The present officers are Mrs. A. E. B. Campbell, Pres't; Mrs. C. M. Hartshorn, V. P.; Miss Lucinda Blakeman, V. P.; Miss M. A. Hopkins, Cor. Sec'y; Mrs. R. W. Hulburd, Rec. Sec'y; Mrs. B. F. Thurston, Treas.
Hamilton Grange, No. 648 P. of H. Its present officers are J. S. Kimberly, Master; L. S. Coe, Overseer; A. E. Coe, Sec'y; L. F. Reed, Treas.
Hamilton Lodge, No. 599, I. O. G. T., has 40 members. L. D. Johnson, Chief Templar.
Hamilton Union, No. 476, E. A. U., has 136 members. Its present officers are, J. S. Kimberly, P.; Harriet Matterson, V. P.; Maud Reed, Advocate; Mary E. Grosvenor, Sec'y; Fidela Staples, Accountant; A. N. Enos, Treas.; J. F Goodrich, Chaplain; Ellen Kelley, Au.; Fannie Perkins, Conductor; Hattie Kimberly, Warden; Mrs. Kelly, Sentinel; E. Keyes, Watchman.
Arthur L. Brooks Post, G. A. R., has 48 members. Its present officers are R. D. Spencer, Commander; J. W. Bryant, S. V. C.; A. M. Stevens, J. V. C.
Arthur L. Brooks Relief Corps, No. 7, has 30 members. Its present officers, are, Julia D. Beebe, Pres't; Mary Stevens, V. P.; Veronica Habbermann, J. V. P.; Betsy Thurston, Sec'y; Mary E. Grosvenor, Treas.
The ritual of the order was evolved from the various ideas suggested by the fun-loving spirit that inspired the original seventeen, and in this respect all of them are entitled to credit. It is but fair to say that particular credit is due Mr. R. R. Riddell for the finish and great merit of the work. Mr. Riddell and Mr. Geo. Beal were the working members of the committee on ritual. The great success of their work is largely due to the literary ability and keen love of fun for which Mr. Riddell is distinguished; he entered into the spirit of the work, and gave it that peculiar charm and brilliancy which has won for the order the highest compliments from men of education and ability. (While none but master masons are eligible to membership, yet the degree is in no sense a masonic degree.) There are now nine Grottos established in this State, among which are prominent:
Azim Grotto, at New York city; Adon Smith, Monarch.
Lalla Rookh Grotto, at Rochester, N. Y.; George F. Loder, (Past Grand Commander K. T.,) State of N. Y., Monarch.
Zuleika Grotto, Buffalo; Louis P. Adollf, Jr., Monarch.
Mokanna Grotto, Hamilton, N. Y. (the Mother Grotto); LeRoy Fairchild, Monarch.
There is a Grotto established in Minnesota, and an application has just been received for a charter for a Grotto at San Francisco, Cal. Among the prominent members of the order, are Hon. Thos. L. James, ex-P. M. General; Thos. H. Caswell, of San Francisco, Cal., Grand Commander Supreme Council 33°, A. A. S. R. Southern jurisdiction; Col. S. M. Todd, of New Orleans, La., Grand Auditor Supreme Council, 33 °, A. A. S. R. Southern jurisdiction; Dr. James Byron Murray, Grand Chaplain Grand Chapter, R. A. M., State of New York; Prof. Oren Root, of Hamilton College; J. C. Terry, 33°, St. Paul, Minn.; Adon Smith, 32°, Foreman Sheriff's Jury, New York city; Bishop Newman, and others.
At the annual meeting of the Supreme Council, held in the city of New York in June, 1895, a new constitution was adopted, and a resolution passed not to grant a charter hereafter to any city of less than 50,000 inhabitants. The following officers were elected: Adon Smith, New York City, Grand Monarch; Le Roy Fairchild, Hamilton, N. Y., Deputy Grand Monarch; Geo. F. Loder, Rochester, N. Y., Grand Chief Justice; J. Harris Bolston, Brooklyn, N. Y., Grand Master of Ceremonies; Gen'l Wm. M. West, Hamilton, N. Y., Grand Treasurer; S. D. Smith, Hamilton, N. Y., Grand Secretary; Wm. H. Whiting, Rochester, N. Y., Grand Keeper Archives; Prof. J. F. McGregory, Hamilton, N. Y., Grand Orator. Officers appointed: Louis P. Adollf, Jr., Buffalo, N. Y., Grand Captain Guard; Adon N. Smith, Hamilton, N. Y., Grand Standard Bearer; Geo. Beal, Hamilton, N. Y., Grand Marshal; Prof. Oren Root, Clinton, N. Y., Grand Alchemist; H. H. Brockway, N. Y. City, Grand Steward.
Hamilton Social Club. Organized in 1879, has a present membership of 25. Its present officers are, F. M. Elliott, President; Thos. H. Beal, Vice President; W. J. Banning, Sec'y and Treas. Governors: J. W. Clark, A. P. Lewis, O. S. Nichols.
The Citizens' Club of Hamilton was organized Nov. 18th, 1895, and incorporated Dec. 26th, 1895, and has a membership of 33. Present officers: Dr. F. O. Lloyd, President; C. H. Van Tuyl, Vice President; A. N. Smith, Treasurer; Geo. Beal, Secretary.
Besides the opera house there are also halls, and some form of entertainment is going on almost nightly in the winter season. Indeed, there is no lack of amusements in Hamilton.
The Maxwell House was erected during the past year. It is a modern hotel built of brick, is three stories high, and is supplied with all the modern improvements. So far as hotels go, Hamilton need not go to the rear for any place of twice its population.
In the following pages will be found a detailed and interesting description of the principal institutions and commercial concerns of Hamilton.
The course of study began with three years, but this was soon found insufficient, and the period was extended to four years in 1829, to six years in 1832, and to eight years in 1834. From this last date the course compared favorably with that of most colleges and theological seminaries of the time, and the graduates were virtually collegiate graduates, though the institution had no authority to grant them degrees. All students at first were students for the ministry, and this continued until 1839; at that date the school was opened to other students. A strong faculty was gradually formed, including men who have since been eminent elsewhere, and work far in advance of the time was done in the Biblical department. The interior life of the institution was intense and profitable. The work of foreign missions was new in those days, and a large number of the graduates entered upon it. Besides, there were men in considerable number who gave themselves to missionary work among the North American Indians, which was then a work of great difficulty and hardship. At the same time the contribution of Hamilton to the working body of the pastorate at home, was large and substantial. Any one who has had knowledge of the Baptist denominatoin [sic] in the United States during the last half-century, knows how greatly it is indebted to the Hamilton of the early days for its actual working force.
Dr. Nathaniel Kendrick had been acting as president for some years, though he had never consented to accept the office, and this arrangement continued till his death, in 1848, after which the office was vacant till 1851. Scarcely had the new era opened, when there arose a conflict that lasted three years with great bitterness, and left lasting consequences, upon the proposal to remove the whole institution to Rochester. The endeavor to remove it was not successful, as the contest developed legal obstacles to removal that could not be overcome. The institution was fastened in Hamilton; but in 1850 the larger part of the faculty withdrew and entered the service of the institutions that were founded in Rochester when the effort at removal had failed, and the most of the students went with them. A new faculty was gathered, however, short though the notice was, and the session of 1850–51 opened with a working force of instructors, and with thirty-three students. But the institution had a very deep and powerful hold upon the part of the denomination that stood by it, and within a few years the number of students was as large as before the trouble. In 1851 Dr. Stephen W. Taylor assumed the presidency, which he held till his death in 1856. He was succeeded by Dr. George W. Eaton, who had been connected with the institution since 1833, serving it faithfully in the various work that falls to the lot of a willing friend in the early life of a school. He held the presidency until 1868, and remained president of the theological seminary to his death, in 1872. In 1868 the presidency was assumed by Dr. Ebenezer Dodge, who had been a professor in the seminary since 1853. He conducted the affairs of the university for more than twenty-one years, until his death in 1890. The earlier history had been sorely embarrassed by the removal controversy, which almost destroyed the institution, and by the civil war, in which the university contributed to the national cause one professor, one tutor, and about thirty students, and suffered, besides, as all schools suffered, from the general depression. But in Dr. Dodge's administration times were more quiet, opportunities for progress were better, and larger gains were made.
No questions of endowment arose in the first period of the history, as the institution was at first dependent directly upon the churches, and many of its friends believed that its highest prosperity would be served by keeping it there. At the end of the removal controversy, the university was about $30,000 in debt. But friends were raised up, debts were gradually removed, and permanent funds came into existence, so that in 1871 there was reported an invested endowment of $266,620.36. When the second period ended, and Madison University laid down its name, it had productive property amounting to $560,000.
For a long time students of all grades, preparatory, collegiate, and theological, were mingled in one set of dormitories and class-rooms, met in chapel together, and had one common life. In early days there was a common boarding-hall for them all, first in a low building where Alumni Hall now stands, and then in a larger building on the plain reached by a walk through the wonderful beauty of the Eaton woods; but even before fire destroyed the later structure, the life of the common table had begun to be broken up. The first great differentiation in the general life occurred in 1873, when the preparatory school, known till then as the grammar school of Madison University, was set off to work in a building of its own, under the name of "Colgate Academy." The building on the plain, with its grounds, was the gift of Mr. James B. Colgate, in memory of his father and mother, whose love and prayers for Hamilton were among the remembrances of his childhood. Mr. Colgate and his partner, Mr. John B. Trevor, set apart a special sum as an endowment for the academy. The school has long held an honorable rank among the secondary schools of the State, and can look back upon an honorable history.
The next differentiation occurred in 1886, when the theological seminary withdrew from life in common with the college, and entered its own building, to which the name "Eaton Hall" has very properly been given. This building, standing on the beautiful site of Dr. Eaton's former home, was erected by contributions from many friends, at a cost of about $65,000, and is one of the most convenient buildings for the use of a theological seminary that the country contains.
Other additions to the buildings were made within the second period. In 1860 there was erected, by subscription, at a cost of about $20,000, the unbeautiful but useful Alumni Hall. The president's house, which stood on land adjacent to the campus, was purchased in 1868. The chemical laboratory was erected by the generosity of a few friends, about 1885. The campus was largely extended by the purchase of land on the plain, between the hill and the village.
All through this period the university was slowly but steadily growing stronger, and the quality of its educational work was improving. Difficulties were many, especially by way of financial limitation, but with patient and watchful labor good results were obtained, and a good body of honorable and loyal alumni was sent out into the world. The ministry is still largely indebted to the university, but a steadily increasing number of men have gone into other professions and departments of the world's work, and the body of alumni has become diversified, as well as widely scattered. Not a few graduates send their sons back to the old place for education. Some one long ago applied to the institution from Paul, "As poor, yet making many rich"; and there are many who can gratefully bear witness that the words are truthfully used of Madison University. In proportion to facilities, few schools have been so richly useful.
When the change of name was effected, the new library building, the gift of Mr. James B. Colgate, was already in process of erection. It is now completed and in use, the library having been catalogued and arranged according to modern methods, when it was transferred to its new home. The building is the most prominent object in the landscape as one looks from the village toward the hill. Besides the library of the university, it contains the great collection that Mr. Samuel Colgate has for many years been making of Baptist documents — minutes, reports, catalogues, periodicals, biographies, sermons, and books and pamphlets of every kind on Baptist subjects. The building also contains the office of the treasurer, and various rooms for various uses. The reading room is well stocked. The library is growing, not so rapidly as might be desired, but steadily, and is made easily available to students.
The latest building that has come into existence is the gymnasium, standing just at the foot of the hill. It was not built without due consideration, for the architect made careful study of his problem, and learned from the successes and failures that have appeared elsewhere. Larger institutions have larger gymnasiums, but it is doubtful whether any of them are more wisely planned or more thoroughly adapted to their purpose than the new gymnasium at Colgate. At the beginning of 1896 it was opened for use, with excellent equipment, and under the care of a competent director.
The Payne farm, with the land that has been acquired about it, offers a most delightful situation for a college, and the beauty of the hill is lovingly remembered by all students of all periods. Where on earth is there a lovelier group of foliage than is seen in the little wood that surrounds Eaton Hall? Until of late, however, nature has been left to provide attractions for the campus, with only occasional help from man, and that not always best devised. But a few years ago, Mr. E. W. Bowditch, of Boston, the eminent landscape gardener, was employed to make a systematic survey of the premises, and improvements are now being made in accordance with his very intelligent and tasteful plan. The greatest part of this work yet remains to be done, but some things have been done as Mr. Bowditch planned them and the result commends the design, and makes us long for the completion. At every turn his well-trained eye has discerned the best thing to do, and the beautiful hill will be vastly more beautiful when once he has had his way with it. At the same time a complete system of sanitary drainage has been put in, at considerable cost, and all the buildings of college, seminary, and academy are now connected with a system of sewers which is amply sufficient to its purpose. The village water and light will soon be in full use. Land recently purchased on the east of the campus is intended to provide sites for a group of professors; houses, and one house has already been erected. On Broad street, near the Academy, the Taylor house, once a somewhat unsightly structure, has been transformed into a handsome colonial-looking house for the accommodation of the literary societies of the Academy.
By far the larger part of these improvements has come from the generous mind of the man who received the financial interests of the university as a trust from the earlier Colgate. But back of all improvements, enlargements, lies, of course, the question of endowment. At commencement-time, in 1891, Mr. James B. Colgate announced a gift to the university of $1,000,000 in interest bearing securities, one half to come into use almost immediately, and one half to accumulate, as a fund for future needs. This splendid gift, which was one of the noblest ever made for educational purposes in America, immediately gave to the university a new fame and standing among institutions of learning, and vastly enlarged its possibilities. The fund thus established was most worthily named the Dodge Memorial Fund; and the friends of the university could not but wish that the president, whose name it bears, might have lived to see so find an addition to the resources and facilities of the institution to which he gave his life for many years.
In addition to this, the university has since received a bequest of somewhat over $75,000 from the estate of the late Eli Perry, of Albany, for the benefit of the department of homiletics in the theological seminary, and a gift of $20,000 from the Joslin family, of Troy, in memory of the late J. J. Joslin, for partial endowment of the department of Christian theology. From Mrs. George Harrison, of Troy, there has come a gift of $10,000 for the completion of Eaton Hall.
Colgate University at present is, popularly at least, the comprehensive name of a group of three schools. The college occupies the original site, and the original buildings, with what have been added to them. The theological seminary stands a little to the west, on nearly an equal elevation. The academy is half a mile northward, on the plain. The three schools are under one management. The corporation of Colgate University directly and wholly controls the college and the academy. Until recently the Education Society retained actual direction of the affairs of the theological seminary, though it acted under a compact with the university, whereby the administration was, in certain respects, shared by the two bodies. In 1893 the compact was reconstructed, and the actual direction of the affairs of the seminary was made over to the university. The Education Society retains, however, the right and duty of visiting the seminary, and reporting to the university upon its work, and still holds an influential part in the election of theological instructors.
The death of Dr. Dodge was followed by a long vacancy in the presidential office, during which Dr. N. Lloyd Andrews was the dean and acting head of the faculty. In July, 1895, the presidency was filled by the election of George William Smith, who, for three years, had been professor of history at Colgate.
The collegiate catalog of 1895-96 contains the names of sixteen professors, all but one of them in active service, and five assistants. There are three courses of study, equal in extent, leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Philosophy, and Bachelor of Science. After 1896, the Master's degree will no longer be conferred in course, after the ancient method, but only upon examination. The departments of instruction in the college are Latin, Greek, Semitic languages, English literature, French and German, physics and astronomy, geology and natural history, chemistry and mineralogy, history and economics, rhetoric and public speaking, history of art, philosophy, and pedagogy. There is a department of university extension, and for the last few years professors have been doing a considerable amount of work in lecture-courses in various places, for the promotion of general education. The catalogue records 48 freshmen, 57 sophomores, 41 juniors and 21 seniors. The greater part come, of course, from the State of New York, but of the 167 on the list 45 come from beyond it. The students maintain such institutions among themselves as students delight in. There are five fraternities --- the Delta Kappa Epsilon, the Delta Upsilon, the Beta Theta Pi, the Phi Kappa Psi, and the Phi Gamma Delta. Three of these have chapter houses of their own, and the other two possess rented houses, in which they have their boarding clubs and live together. The fraternity life is on the whole very well conducted, and as much of the good, and as little of the evil of such life is experienced here as anywhere. The students have their athletics, and take delight in them. There are pennants from the base-ball and foot-ball fields hung up in the library in memory of past glories, and the college still maintains a good standing in this department of effort.
Of Colgate Academy, Eugene P. Sisson is at present the acting principal. There are six full instructors, and four assistants, and there are 112 students, in four classes. The academy is well equipped in the library, gymnasium, and chemical and physical laboratories for work of academic grade.
The theological seminary has never changed its name, but is still known as the Hamilton Theological Seminary, though it is a department of Colgate University. Dr. Sylvester Burnham is the dean of the faculty. There are seven departments of instruction --- Old Testament Interpretation, Semitic Languages, New Testament Interpretation, Church History, Christian Theology, Homiletics, and Pastoral Theology; but there are at present only six professors in actual service, the department of Pastoral Theology having been temporarily united to that of Homiletics. In 1895-96 there are 46 students, in three classes, of whom only 21 come from within the State of New York. There are three courses of study --- the full course, the Greek course, and the English course --- each covering three years. To Bachelors of Arts who complete the full course, and fulfil certain requirements, the university gives the degree of Bachelor of Divinity. The seminary has a regular lectureship founded in memory of the late Dr. Walter R. Brooks, on the relation of science and religion, and another on pastoral experience, (filled annually by some successful minister. It also has lectures on sociology, and other subjects. The students have full use of the Colgate library, and have a small reference library in their own building. The introduction of the elective system a few years ago proved highly beneficial, and no one would now return from it to the former method.
Journalism has not been neglected in the university. The collegiate paper is now in its twenty-eighth year. It has never changed its name, but in memory of the past is still known as Madisonensis. It is issued bi-weekly, is edited with enterprise, and holds honorable rank among college papers.
For some time after the reconstruction in 1850, the university drew its teaching force mainly from among its own alumni. This state of things gradually passed away, however. At present, the faculties of instruction include twenty-five men in actual service (not counting instructors), and among them are found graduates from twelve different colleges. The university has been nobly served by its own sons, and yet it has never had one of its alumni for its president, and at present has only one in its theological faculty. The ruling desire in the present period is to draw upon resources of both kinds: to utilize the power and loyalty of its own graduates, and yet to be drawing in fresh life from beyond itself. It is certain that recent years have witnessed a great quickening and enlargement of the general life of the place, and that such a reviving, once begun, will not die away.
The early history of Mu is of romantic interest. When the chapter was founded secret societies were under the ban. The fears of the Faculty saw in them a menace to scholarship and morality. Expulsion being the penalty of discovery, there was necessary the utmost secrecy. Mystery and danger, however, quickened the loyalty of the little band, and lent added charm to their meetings. The boys still delight to gather around an honored veteran of those early days and listen with breathless interest as her recounts the story, Othello-like, "of most disastrous, chances, of moving accidents, of hair-breadth 'scapes, of being taken by the insolent foe." As the existence of the chapter gradually became known, opposition slowly subsided, and Mu of A. K. E. acquired the proud distinction of winning the right of existence in the university for secret societies.
With the growth of membership and influence the oft-expressed desire for a hall crystalized into action. The excavation was made and the foundations laid at the cost of great labor by the active members, while alumni helped the work along by generous subscriptions. In January, 1877, the first regular meeting was held in the present ivy-clad temple. The memories which cluster round "the little house by the creek" are warmly cherished by every A. K. E. Its walls have rung with pealing laughter and stirring eloquence, and around its glowing fireside hearts have been knit together in closest brotherhood.
In 1892 an epoch in the history of the chapter was marked by the gift from Mr. Francis T. Pierce, '57, of a delightful chapter home as a memorial of his only son, Frank Burchard Pierce, '86, the inspiration of whose live and the pathos of whose early death have left a permanent impress upon the chapter he loved. The house is a charming home, and is filled by as merry a family as ever sung around a hearthstone.
As the oldest chapter in the university, Mu has always maintained a strong position. It has striven to be faithful to the original intention of the fraternity to which it belongs, and to maintain a good standard in scholarship, in character, and in society.
The Colgate chapter, organized in 1865, is one of the 33 chapters of the Delta Upsilon fraternity which was founded at Williams College in 1834. At first the society was anti-secret, but in time changed to non-secret.
Social entertainments form no small part of the chapter life at Colgate, and the house is recognized as a centre of social life. The chapter has always insisted upon high class standing in its members, and its honors in scholarship have been many. The society has been true to its early ideals, and has enjoyed a prosperous career. Its aim has ever been "To secure the union of college men of kindred tastes for the promotion of social, intellectual, and moral culture."
The fraternity is represented in the university and town by President G. W. Smith, Professors W. H. Maynard, J. M. Taylor, J. F. McGregory, A. P. Brigham, R. W. Thomas, A. C. McGregory, W. F. Langworthy, F. H. Howard, W. F. White, J. P. Taylor, Treasurer W. R. Rowlands, the Rev. C. S. Savage, and Dr. O. S. Langworthy.
∆onia was the name chosen by one of the two local societies formed in 1840. It continued as part of the University life until 1873, when it went out of existence. In the fall of 1880 the society was reorganized. The meeting places were Alumni Hall, East College, and later a hall in the Smith Block.
The disadvantages of a local society soon became painfully apparent, and when in 1886 two members from New York Beta of Phi Kappa Psi, situated at Syracuse University, came to Colgate, and suggested that the society should apply for a charter, vague ideas became definite at once, and a spirit of conservatism was developed.
On April 29, 1887, the local society, which had won high standing in the face of great disadvantages, went out of existence, and a new chapter of Phi Kappa Psi was formed by brothers from Syracuse and Cornell.
The chapter retained the rooms into which ∆onia had moved. These rooms were situated in the Tripp Block on Lebanon Street.
The first five years of chapter life were uneventful. Delegates to District Councils and Grand Arch Councils kept the chapter in touch with the fraternity life as a whole.
In 1892 the present chapter house was built. There had been a growing desire and determination to build, and this culminated in the spring of 1892. The chapter house is the headquarters of chapter life. Nearly all the members board here and many room in the building.
Phi Kappa Psi at Colgate has won and is maintaining her place of honor among the Fraternities here represented. The fraternity stands for the development of well-rounded manhood, and whatever tends to promote this object receives encouragement from the life of the chapter.
The position of the chapter on the question of the number of members is neither conservative nor radical. The number of charter members was eighteen. The present membership is twenty-eight.
There are now forty-six active and eleven graduate chapters. The governing power is vested in a Grand Chapter located in New York City. Among the prominent alumni may be mentioned Gen. Lew. Wallace, diplomat and novelist, John Clark Ridpath, historian, Edward Eggleston, novelist, Bishop McLaren of the Episcopal Church, and President Dabney of the University of Tennessee.
The Colgate chapter was established in 1887, with eight charter members. From the first its progress has been uniform and constant. Its aim has been to secure men who unite the qualities of character, scholarship and congeniality. Deprecating the tendency noticeable in some quarters to make a fraternity merely a social club, it has always emphasized literary training. A large number of scholastic and college honors have been won by its members, and they have been well represented in all other phases of college life.
From its formation in 1889 until 1891 the chapter occupied rooms in the Smith block. It then removed to the Mott block, where it remained until the spring of 1894, when the present house on Madison street was secured. It is well adapted to the needs of the society, containing, on the ground floor, double parlors, dining-room, kitchen, bath room, and matron's suite of rooms. Above these are accommodations for twelve men. The house is heated by a furnace, and has hot and cold water throughout.
We think that anyone who has chanced to pass the house on a spring evening, and has heard the notes of some old college song swelling in unison with the sweet vibrations of mandolin and guitar, or the banjo's soulful plunk, will agree with us that there are no jollier fellows in Colgate than the Fijis.
The chapter has changed its quarters several times. It was at first located in the Smith block, but soon secured rooms in the Dodge block, and in January, 1893, removed to the president's old mansion on the hill. This has continued to be the home of the chapter.
A strong conservative spirit in regard to membership has been manifested from the beginning. There were thirty-nine charter members. The smallest active membership during any one college year was eleven, in 1884-85; at one time during the year there were only seven members. The largest membership was twenty-nine, in the college year of 1880-81. The present active chapter is composed of twenty-four men.
The achievements of the alumni, in the various walks of life, signify that they are men of energy and ability. The whole number of alumni is one hundred and nine. The majority are in the ministry. The next largest number is engaged in educational work, occupying positions from the academic professor to the college president. Others are engaged in journalism, Y. M. C. A. work, and in the practice of law and medicine.
The active chapter has ever held a prominent place in scholarship and in the literary work of the college. We are also well represented in the social, musical and athletic life of the students. While the chapter encourages friendly rivalry, which develops the innate possibilities of its members, it does not sacrifice for success the ideals of true manhood. The fraternity believes in manliness, fairness, charity, and universal brotherhood. These principles are knit into an inward history in the life of each Beta, binding us together with bonds that cannot be severed while memory lasts.
Mrs. Moore refers by permission to --- Dr. G. W. Smith, Pres. Colgate University; Prof. E. P. Sisson, Prin. Colgate Academy; Dr. E. A. Sheldon, Prin. Oswego Normal School; Hon C. R. Skinner, State Supt. of Instruction; Hon. D. Ainsworth, Deputy Supt. of Instruction; Prof. C. H. Thurber, Prin. Morgan Park Academy, Chicago; Prin. Leonard, Binghamton High School; Mrs. Myron Goodenough, Hamilton; Hon. W. H. Corbin, Elizabeth, N. J.; Clark H. Gleason, Esq., Grand Rapids, Mich.; Mr. D. C. Heath, Boston, and others.
The new National Hamilton Bank building, in architectural design, construction, finish, furnishings, and adaptability to the purposes for which it was designed, has no superior or, for that matter equal, in Central New York. The details and arrangement of the bank offices proper, together with the selection of their furnishings, were the work of Gen. William M. West, and are a splendid monument of his taste and of the knowledge gleaned from his years of experience in banking affairs. With the arrangement of the bank offices determined upon by Gen. West, Mr. O. K. Foote, of Rochester, was selected to draft the building plans for the new edifice, and that able architect has given us an enduring specimen of the art which has made the city from which he hails the envy of her sister cities and the pride of Western New York.
The building stands at the corner of Madison and Broad streets, and occupies the site of the burned Gaskell building. It is of irregular width but the average dimensions are about 75 by 40 feet. The material used in its construction, from grade to and including second story sill course, is rock finish St. Lawrence marble. The second and third stories (the building is a three story one) have fronts of mottled gray pressed brick, which were furnished by the New York Hydraulic-Press Brick Company. The window sills are St. Lawrence marble, and the main entrance same material with cut finish. The cornice is copper and elegant in design. All windows are of heavy plate glass and a metal roof covers all. The sidewalk is manufactured stone. The bank is of fire-proof construction with ceiling in arches composed of steel, brick and concrete. The lobby floor is Italian marble, constructed in mosaic work. A highly ornamental fire-place and mantel is a conspicuous feature of the ground floor. The first floor and basement are occupied entirely by the bank; the second and third floors by offices. Every part of the interior of this splendid building furnishes a practical illustration of the possibilities obtainable from a judicious combination of capital, taste, science, and skill. A. B. Carman of Binghamton, was the builder. The electric wiring is the iron armored conduit system, and was done by the Western Electric Company. All of the handsome screen work to be found in the bank, was manufactured by the Grand Rapids, Mich., Furniture Company. The heating is accomplished by the hot water system, and the building is supplied with city water. The first floor is divided into lobby, counting room proper, offices for president, cashier and other officers, directors' room, private office, rooms for use of customers of safe deposit department, sleeping room, coat room, etc. Each of these several rooms is fitted up and provided with every appliance and convenience for the uses for which it is especially designed, and the furniture in the several rooms is in perfect keeping with the building itself.
But the feature of the many features of this model banking establishment, the one that holds first place in the estimation of the bank officials and their customers, the one that is of greatest pride to our citizens generally because it is located in Hamilton, is the fire and burglar-proof vault situated on the first floor. It was designed by J. M. Mossman, of New York City, and built by the Diebold Safe and Lock Company of Canton, O. This vault is not excelled by any in the world. It is built of chrome steel and iron, and surrounded by masonry. It is not merely a "steel-lined vault," but is constructed exactly as are the best burglar proof safes, only on a larger scale. In its construction nearly fifty tons of steel and iron were used. The outside door alone weighs nearly thirteen thousand pounds; the inner door about eight thousand pounds. The outer door is furnished with the Burton-Harris automatic locking device controlled by a three-movement time lock, and is without any sort of hole or opening through it. The inner door has two of the best known combination locks, controlled by a two-movement chronometer lock. The safe deposit boxes are of the very latest construction and are protected by both doors mentioned above. The vault is a perfect revelation of mechanism and cannot but excite the admiration of the casual observer or the most skillful mechanic or designer. Doors weighing from four to six and a half tons each are made by ball-bearing adjustments to swing as easily as the ordinary church doors; so perfectly are they fitted that when closed the vault is absolutely air tight and nothing can be inserted between the door and casing, while the entire absence of any openings through the outer door for the adjustment of knobs, combinations or other purposes, leaves the would-be burglar without a starting point upon which to operate. The locking devices, together with their chronometer controlment are so perfect and all accidents thereto so amply provided for that a failure to work with exact precision seems an utter impossibility. But if an entrance could be effected through the seemingly impassable doors or walls of the vault, the burglar would still be confronted with plenty of work before his purpose would be accomplished. To open the safety deposit boxes by unlocking, he must have two keys, one of which is in the hands of the depositor, the other in the keeping of the bank, and neither key will unlock a box without the use of the other. Without the aid of the keys all the ingenuity of the skilled burglar would be required to gain access to the boxes. If the bank's money was wanted it would have to be obtained by opening one of the very best burglar-proof safes, which has been placed inside of the vault.
In the basement, directly underneath the vault described, is another large fire-proof vault for the storage of property belonging to the bank or its customers. This vault is larger, stronger, better, than the famous vault in the burned bank building on Lebanon street, which furnished indisputable proof that fire could not harm it, and which afterwards, for sometime, almost defied the efforts of the workmen employed to remove it. Impervious to man's efforts or the elements, as these vaults seemingly are, they too are guarded, not alone by a building of fire-proof construction, but by every detail that enters into the design of the building. Not a door or window has been placed in the structure without first considering its position with regard to the safety of the vaults. So successful have the designers been in the accomplishment of their desires that no entrance to the bank can be obtained that will not bring the intruder at any hour of the night, into the full glare of electric lights on the first floor and into the presence of those left on guard.
For one year Mr. Rowlands was Professor of Mathematics and Assistant Principal of the Medina Academy. The following four years he was principal of the Hamilton Union School. His last graduating class, 1880, of 31 members, was the largest in the history of the school.
For one year, 1874-75, he had the advantage of early experience in business in New York city. In 1881 he engaged in business in Utica. He erected the Rowlands Building, one of the finest office structures in Central New York. He was chairman of the Citizens' Committee that secured the nomination of Charles H. Searle for mayor, and he was instrumental in organizing the Immanuel and the Calvary Baptist Churches of Utica, and has done much to aid them. For several years previous to returning to Hamilton, he was president of the Young Men's Christian Association of Utica, and was chairman of the committee when the new Association building, one of the finest in this country, was constructed. He served in many other positions of responsibility and honor.
In 1889 he accepted the treasurership of Colgate University. In the same week in which he entered upon his new duties, the Immanuel Church building of Utica, which he had done so much to secure, was dedicated; also the exercises at the opening of the Utica Young Men's building, just completed, were held. Few young men, with so short a residence, have left the city of Utica under pleasanter circumstances and with greater honors.
Mr. Rowlands was chairman of the committee that erected the Delta Upsilon House at Colgate, and was the resident member of the building committee for the new Colgate gymnasium. He recently built his residence and is planning to erect a block in the "burned district" the coming spring.
For nearly nine years Mr. Rowlands has been a member of the State Committee of the Young Men's Christian Association and a member of the sub-committee on colleges. In 1886-87 he was acting president of the National Fraternity of Delta Upsilon. Recently he was elected corresponding member of the Oneida Historical Society.
The interior fittings and furnishings of Mr. Smith's establishment are of the finest, and every feature of the store is arranged for convenience in conducting his business. Mr. Smith is one of Hamilton's most enterprising and prominent merchants. He is associated with its banking and several other business interests, while socially and fraternally he is connected with Hamilton's best.
In 1870, Mr. Foster engaged in the business of Fire Insurance, and became prominent as most active, prompt, and reliable in this, as in all his other business transactions. As general insurance agent and adjuster of fire losses, there is probably no agent who enjoys a wider acquaintance and patronage.
By his thorough knowledge of insurance, coupled with a high regard for integrity and fairness, Mr. Foster has built up one of the largest and most popular agencies in Central New York. He represents the oldest, strongest and best insurance companies in the world, embracing fire, life, and accident.
This agency paid more losses in each of the three conflagrations that visited Canastota, Earlville, and Hamilton in this county, than any other, and stands higher and stronger than ever. Mr. Foster has a fine office in the new "Smith Building"; and like his fine residence shown in the above cut, it is fitted with all the modern conveniences of steam heat, plumbing, and electric lights. Mr. Foster is enterprising, liberal, and one of the foremost citizens of Hamilton.
The Nichols & Beal block in which the store is located, is one of the architectural features of Hamilton. The building is a three-story brick structure, is heated by hot water and lighted by electricity. The inside finishings are of the best class, and the building throughout is a model of completeness. Mr. O. S. Nichols, who is secretary and treasurer of the Hamilton Social Club, is also identified with other organizations. Mr. Thos. H. Beal, is one of the governors of the Hamilton Social Club. He is prominently connected with the fire department and also in Masonic circles.
The store, which is a credit to Hamilton, is commodious and neatly arranged, while an extensive line of goods is carried in every department. On entering the store the visitor finds on every hand beautiful china and porcelain wares, lamps, rare crockery, china dinner and tea sets, wall papers and ceiling decorations, &c.
The grocery department is also completely equipped, and embraces every article coming under the head of staple and fancy groceries, while everything is of the best quality. The proprietor, Mr. L. M. Royce, who is a liberal and enterprising business man, was reared in Sauquoit, Oneida county, and resided there until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the army and served his country faithfully until 1865. After receiving his discharge he took up his residence in Chadwicks, Oneida county, remaining there until 1868, when he moved to Lee, Mass., and there engaged in the mercantile business. In 1871 he came to Hamilton and conducted a hardware store for five years, after which he embarked in his present business. Throughout his career as a merchant he has been remarkably successful. He enjoys a large trade throughout the village and vicinity by reason of the generous treatment accorded patrons. He is a representative of the Village Improvement Association, and is closely allied with the industrial advancement of Hamilton.
The members of the firm are J. W. Rowlands and George Beal; both are highly respected citizens. They are closely identified with the growth and development of Hamilton, and have done much to foster and enhance its welfare and prosperity.
Mr. Lippitt is a native of Hamilton, but resided in Norwich from 1881 until he took possession of this house, May 9th, 1894. Prior to engaging in the hotel business he conducted a jewelry store at Norwich.
The old Park House has certainly fallen into the hands of one who will add lustre to its fame as a well-conducted and homelike hotel.
Mr. Wickwire is a trustee of the Public School Board, also a member of the Citizen's Club, besides being identified with fraternal organizations. He is a progressive business man and a credit to this community.
[Transcriber's note: There is no section heading separating the preceding from the following.]
F. O. Lloyd, A. M., M. D., a regular physician, is an adopted son of Hamilton, having come to the village in 1877. He was graduated from Colgate University with the class of 1881, and entering upon the study of medicine received the degree of M. D. from the University of the City of New York in 1885. He was the Valedictorian of his class. Special study, in various lines, under Dr. A. L. Loomis, Dr. W. H. Thomson and Dr. Herman Knapp; one year of residence in the Newark City Hospital as House Physician and Surgeon, and several months of travel abroad followed graduation; and then Dr. Lloyd settled in New York City for the practice of his profession. During the five years of his practice in New York, he received appointments as Attending Physician to the Northwestern Dispensary, Attending Physician to the Demilt Dispensary, Attending Physician to the Presbyterian Hospital, Attending Physician and Surgeon to the Baptist Home, and Lecturer at the Postgraduate Medical College. Ill-health compelled a residence of a year in Colorado in 1892-93. On returning east eminent specialists advised Dr. Lloyd not to subject himself to the unhealthful conditions of the city and he, therefore, settled in Hamilton in 1893, where he continues the practice of medicine.
Socially, or in business, Mr. St. John is always a very pleasant and affable gentleman to meet.
In 1874 Mr. B. J. Stimson removed to Hamilton, and has since resided here. He is prominently connected with several fraternal organizations, is also a member of the board of education of this village.
The gallery is provided with the latest and best appliances. The operating room is supplied with the largest and finest camera to be found in this section.
Mr. Hill is a native of Hamilton, was born in 1844, and opened his first gallery in 1864. For some ten years prior to the fire of last February he was located in the Davis block. When the Sheldon Opera House block was completed he secured commodious quarters on the upper floor of that building.
Mr. Hill turns out first class work, and deserves the liberal patronage he receives.