Search billions of records on

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Jan. 1, 1870


WITHERSPOON - December 31st, Edward Harold, infant son of Edward and Jeanie T. WITHERSPOON.
-Funeral at the house on Sunday, January 2d, at half-past 8 p.m.



Rochester Daily Democrat
Rochester, NY
Jan. 1, 1870
page 4

James H. Kelly's Lamp Manufactory.

    The Lamp Manufactory of James H. Kelly of this city is an establishment worth visiting. The proprietor is doing a very large business, and his manufactory receives many flattering notices. - We copy the following from a recent notice of the Lyons Republican: "We took advantage of a half-hour, in Rochester, on Saturday, to go over the extensive Lamp Manufactory of Mr. James H. Kelly, on Mill street. The time was well spent. It gave us a better idea than we could have obtained in any other way of the immense business Mr. Kelly is doing - not only in the manufactory of locomotive head-lights, (which are his specialty,) but of railroad and hand lanterns - as well as of the numerous and peculiar processes through which each article is put before it comes out ready for the market. -  Mr. Kelly was just sending off the last of a large number of head-lights for locomotives on the new Pacific railroad - of which he has supplied a great number; and in another room one of his men was packing a great case of conductors lanterns for a western railroad. -  Other workmen were making the wire frames which protect the globes of the lanterns from being broken, others were burnishing the reflectors for head-lights, others (to the number of twenty or more) were employed upon other work - all as busy as beavers; and off in a room by himself one man was cutting (or rather grinding - for it is done with emery-wheels and not with hand-tools or acids) the inscriptions upon the globes - the most curious process of all, and one requiring in its finer departments the most cultivated artistic taste as well as the utmost precision of eye and steadiness of hand. We made the acquaintance of Mr. Kelly himself; of course - the call would have been wofully incomplete without that; and we found him one of the most genial and agreeable of gentlemen, as well as one of the soundest and most levelheaded of business men. And altogether our visit to his manufactory was a very pleasant as well as a very instructive one.
    Mr. Kelly has only within the past two years manufactured lanterns for the retail trade - confining himself before that to railroad work; but the new department has grown under his management to astonishing dimensions. During the past four months he tells us he has sold twenty-three hundred dozen - 27,600 - of these lanterns, besides doing a very large amount of railroad work; and if the business continues to increase as rapidly as it has done within the past year, he will be compelled to look for larger quarters. -  Kelly's lanterns are beginning to be sold everywhere; and like Steinway's pianos and Hoe's presses, there is "no discount" on them. We don't write this because he asked us to - and he doesn't know we have any idea of doing it; but because we were interested in what we saw and heard, and thought it possible our readers might be interested in reading about it."
    Coroner Harder was called yesterday afternoon to investigate the cause of death of a child of David Sheap, residing on St. Joseph street. - Physicians pronounced the cause of death lung difficulty, and no inquest was held.
    NEW FIRM. - Coroner J. A. Harder has purchased an interest in the grocery and provision store, 151 Main street which will be conducted under the firm name of Jacobs & Harder. This concern will transact as heretofore a commission business, and will act as general produce dealers.
    Coroner Harder's office will be at 151 Main street, his place of business.
    EMBEZZLEMENT. - Last Friday the trusted agent of our worthy townsman, C. H. Marsh, by name Daniel Falen, was sent by him to the Traders  National Bank, Rochester, to draw $1,500 on draft. He telegraphed back that he could not obtain the money, though at the time it had been drawn, and was feloniously in his possession.
    This young man, though regarded with suspicion by some, having proven himself faithful in the discharge of important trusts committed to his keeping by Mr. M., was supposed by his unsuspecting employer incapable of betrayal. From the position of a boot black and porter at the Avon Cure, he had risen, under the patronage of Mr. M., to the position of clerk, but he could not stand prosperity, and by this rash act has made shipwreck of honor and character.
    A miserable fugitive from justice, vigilant detectives are on his trail, stimulated by a reward of $500 for his apprehension, and the recovery of the money. Remorse will yet overtake him in default of human justice. He will bitterly think of the best friend whom he has so foully wronged; who ministered to his wants in sickness, and gave him a home, and employment when friendless, suspected and despised.
    In the transaction of business, as a grain merchant, Mr. Marsh handles over half a million of dollars annually, and will be henceforth careful in whom he places confidence. On him falls only a portion of the loss, but the lesson taught him, though a severe one, will redound to his benefit. Wisdom learned by sad experience, is an inestimable treasure.     [Avon Journal]     RH

Jan. 4, 1870


They have highway robbers in Saratoga county

Mrs. John R. JUILAND of Binghamton was administered a dose of poison by mistake, in Greene, Chenango county, on Sunday, December 26th, and had a narrow escape from death.

John SPENCER, who was severely beaten on Christmas eve at a hotel in Elmira, by three roughs, is not expected to live. One of the roughs, named GRIFFIN, has run away.

A lady in Saratoga borrowed a black dress and veil to wear to the funeral of her dear nephew. She was heard from at Saratoga, but she hadn't yet found the corpse of the dear boy.

An adopted daughter of a Mr. VAN WAGNER of the town of Somerset, Niagara county, aged about thirteen years, is in a delicate condition, the result, she alleges, of forced intimacy with a man named WILLIAMS, aged twenty- one. The affair has created much excitement in Somerset.

A young man in Fall River, Mass., died a terrible death last Wednesday. Excessive drinking had brought on delirium tremors, and for several days his life was a continued agony. On Tuesday he was tormented with the suspicion that he was pursued by a man with dogs, and even flew to the roof of a high building, and ran around at the peril of his life to avoid his fancied pursuers.

Mrs. Horace HOLCOMB of Bridgeport, Conn., returned home on Monday evening from a visit of several days, and found the door locked and no one to answer her calls for admittance. The key was in the lock on the inside. A policeman was summoned and the door forced open, when Mr. HOLCOMB was found lying dead on the floor. A jury was summoned and a verdict of death by heart disease was rendered. He was sixty years of age.

A terrible and fatal accident occurred at Fort Edward, Washington county, on Tuesday evening last, from the careless use of kerosene, by which a family by the name of PELKEY were dreadfully burned. One of the children died soon after the accident, and the mother and a second child are in a dying condition. It appears that the woman attempted to light a fire by pouring kerosene into the stove from a can, and the oil immediately ignited, scattering death and rain in its course.

The Oswego Commercial of last Friday tells of a terrible outrage as follows: "The examination in the case of eight or nine boys charged with committing a rape on Emily LEE, from Jefferson county, was concluded before the recorder to-day. Six of the boys have been required to give bail in the sums of $1,000 and $2,000 each.

Mt. Morris, Jan. 3, 1870
On Saturday evening last, about 5 o'clock, a pleasure party from Geneseo, consisting of Fred RECTOR and Miss Nellie RECTOR of Geneseo, Miss Belle BARTLETT of LeRoy and Andrew JOHNSON of Jersey City, while passing down the Mill hill in a carriage, ran off the bridge at the foot of the hill, and were precipitated into the stream, a distance of fifteen feet. The night was intensely dark and for a few moments they could not ascertain the extent of their injuries. Mr. RECTOR, drenched and bruised, made his way back to the village after help, and our citizens at once, in large numbers, turned out with lanterns. On reaching the place they found Miss BARTLETT and Mr. JOHNSON thoroughly wet and chilled and the horses and carriage badly mixed up. Miss RECTOR was found down the stream a few rods, lying on her back, insensible. She was at once carried to a dwelling near by. Dr. AMES was promptly on hand, but every means possible to restore her to consciousness proved unavailing. From the bruises about the head it is supposed that this lovely young lady must have been instantly killed. The water at this point is only about ten to twelve inches deep. The sad intelligence was at once carried to her parents in Geneseo, and several carriages, containing those deeply sympathizing with the bereaved parents, came over, arriving here about 11 o'clock. By direction of Coroner CHASE, the body was at once forwarded to Geneseo, where an inquest, we presume, was held on Sunday morning.

This sad and deplorable accident has cast a deep gloom over our village, as well as Geneseo. This young lady was greatly beloved and a favorite with all who knew her. An only daughter, affectionate, the light of the household, suddenly has she been called away, under circumstances peculiarly affecting and crushing.

For this terrible accident our town or corporation, or both, are responsible. On the completion of this culvert last fall, a railing on either side of the roadway should have been put up to protect footmen and carriages from falling over. In fact, it has been known for weeks that one of our elderly citizens, while coming up from the cars at this place was precipitated into the race, seriously injuring him; and now, this work has laid so long unfinished, a valuable life has been sacrificed. It is hoped that the culvert will at once be amply protected, so that no similar calamity will ever again sadden the hearts of our community.      GjS

Jan. 5, 1870


Coroner Harder was called upon yesterday to hold an inquest upon the body of Louisa WELLAND, aged thirteen years, daughter of the late Capt. John WELLAND, and residing at No. 56 North Clinton street. Yesterday about 2 o'clock she visited some neighbors and was apparently in the enjoyment of good health; shortly after she was skating along upon the sidewalk, when she was observed to fall upon her face. She remained motionless for some time, when she was picked up and carried to the residence of her mother and found to be dead. Dr. KULCHLING was immediately summoned, but of course his services were of no avail. Dr. K. had made an examination of the child about two years ago, and thought then that the child was afflicted with varicose veins in the stomach. About two weeks ago he again examined her and told the mother that the child was liable to die suddenly. Drs. KULCHLING and WEIGEL will hold a post mortem examination to-day, when the case will be submitted to the jury which has been impaneled by the coroner.

Rochester, N.Y.
Daily Democrat
Jan. 18, 1870


About 6 o'clock yesterday morning, George A. STEDE was found dead in his room, over Stilwell's, on the corner of Exchange and Buffalo streets. The shop was opened about 6 o'clock by a boy named Garret CLOVER, who found the lifeless body of his employer in a small apartment separated from the main shop by screen. The boy immediately notified Policeman LYNCH, who sent a boy to the residence of Mr. Charles STILWELL to inform him of the fact. That gentleman proceeded to the room, and found the body of Mr. STEDE as above stated. Coroner MORRISON was sent for, and on his arrival had the body removed to the Dead House.
A jury was summoned, and an inquest commenced yesterday forenoon. Drs. MONTGOMERY and LANGWORTHY held a post mortem examination upon the body, but found no cause sufficient to cause death.
The liver, brain nor lungs showed no signs of disease. The jury requested that the stomach might be analyzed, and that this might be done the inquest was adjourned until Monday next.
The "Express says:" "For several days past Mr. STEDE has shown signs of mental derangement, so much so as to cause remarks from his employer and friends. He was Secretary of the Maennerebor Society, and the books and papers of that Society were found open upon the desk near where he was found. He has remarked several times within the past week that the Maennerebor business caused him a great deal of trouble. On Wednesday evening last he appeared so excited and nervous that two employes of Mr. STILWELL accompanied him to his residence, No. 14 Pitt street. He has, however, worked every day and night at his business. On Saturday night his nervous excitement culminated in hysterics. Yesterday at half past 1 o'clock a member of the Maennerebor met him in the street on his way home, and observed nothing extraordinary in his actions. He went home, got his dinner, and left about 2 o'clock, bidding his wife good-by in such a manner as to excite alarm. Since that time he was not seen until this morning, when he was found a corpse. His age was 34 years, and he leaves a wife and three children to mourn his loss. Last fall he lost a pair of twins, which affected him very much. He had been in the employ of Mr. STILWELL nine years, and was a hard working, industrious, temperate man, and much respected by all who knew him. Deceased was a member of Toronto Lodge of Odd Fellows. He had his life insured for $5,000.



Rochester Daily Democrat
Rochester, NY
Jan. 18, 1870
page 4

ACCIDENT. - Yesterday morning about three o clock, at the Genesee Paper Mills, shortly after starting the machinery, an employee, named Frank Gesenhoff, while in the act of throwing a belt on to a pully, was caught upon the shaft by his clothing. He was carried around by the shaft twenty times or more, until the breaking of a gear stopped the machinery, when he was released by cutting away his garments. So far as could be ascertained yesterday he has escaped with the breakage of one or more ribs, the dislocation of an ankle, and severe bodily bruises. He does not appear to be internally injured. The fortunate breaking of the gear undoubtedly saved his life. He is a single man and has been in the employ of the Rochester Paper Company for two or three years. He was sober an industrious in his habits, and was highly regarded be his employers. Dr. Moore was called to attend him.
METHODIST CHURCH AT SCOTTSVILLE - DEDICATION. - On Thursday of this week the Methodist church at Scottsville will be dedicated. It is a neat and commodious edifice, and reflects credit upon the church and society, by whom it has been built. Rev. B. I. Ives, of Auburn, will preach the dedication sermon.
FIRE. - About 7 o clock last evening an alarm of fire was given, and the department responded to the call. It was ascertained that the alarm proceeded from a chimney which caught on fire in the house of Mr. Schute on Frances street. - No damage of any extent was done.
    SWINDLING. - Saturday last a young man, apparently about twenty-two years of age, appeared at Dr. Cook's International Hotel, Mill street, and presented an order or request that the bearer, J. P. Clark, should receive board and lodging until Monday. The order purported to be signed by Frank Decker. The doctor accepted the order, and lodged the young stranger. Yesterday morning the young man presented a check for $15, accompanied with a written request, both purporting to be signed by Frank Decker, that Dr. Cook would cash the check. and he would redeem it during the day. Dr. C. cashed the check, and on presenting it to Decker found it was a forgery. The police last evening were looking for the young man, who called himself J. P. Clark. but were unable to find him.
    On Saturday afternoon a fellow went into the clothing store of D. O. Grady, on State street, and bargained for a suit of clothes. He presented a check for $20 on time firm of Hamilton Bros. & Co., alleging that he had received it from them. Mr. O Grady said he would go with the purchaser to the store of Hamilton Bros. & Co., and first ascertain the genuineness of the check. The fellow accompanied him as far as the Arcade, when he suddenly bolted and disappeared in the crowd. Mr. O Grady, on Inquiry, found out that the check was bogus, and that the swindler had come that evening to the store and called for a blank check.


Rochester Daily Democrat
Rochester, NY
Jan. 19, 1870
page 4

ARRESTED FOR STEALING. - John Humphrey, a boy about seventeen years old, was arrested last evening, charged with stealing sheepskins from Mr. Simpson. The skins were sold to Mr. Holton, and were worth about $7. John Daily was arrested on the suspicion of being an accomplice. Humphrey has been in the House of Refuge three years.
    POLICE  COURT - BRYAN P. J. - Jan. 19. -  Edward T. Boullin, a lawyer from Canada, who had just serve a term of imprisonment in the Penitentiary, was carted to the station drunk. He was charged $5 or 90 days.
    John Smith - drunk. Discharged.
    John Valentine, a boy - was arrested for stealing peanuts out of a girl's basket. Not disposed of.
    Wm. Hughes was sent up 60 days as a vagrant.
    Andrew Doo1an - drunk. Sent to jail.
    Thomas Upson - abusing his wife. Sent up 90 days M. C. P.
    Philip Crombe and August Schib - drunk Discharged.
    STEDE - In this city, on the 16th inst., George A. Stede, in the 34th year of his age.
    Funeral from his late residence, 14 Pitt street today, (Wednesday) at 2 P. M. Friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend.

    HALLIGAN - At Scottsville, January 15th, Edward Halligan, aged 22 years.
    On Monday evening a box containing $250, which was the wages of the employes in C. J. Hayden's chair factory, at the Lower Fa1ls, was stolen. Mr. Leavenworth, who has charge of the shop, carried the box to the factory, and after paying several of the men he laid it down and went up stairs on business. When he returned, in less than five minutes, the treasure was missing. The police were informed of the robbery, but have not yet succeeded in making any arrest.   RH