Search billions of records on

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
May 12, 1875 


CHURCHILL - At 9 ½ o’clock Sunday evening, May 9th, of typhoid fever, at his residence, Herbert CHURCHILL, aged 37 years and 8 months.
-Funeral Wednesday afternoon at 2 ½ o’clock from the residence, number 13 North Washington street.

McCALLUM - On Monday afternoon, May 10th, at the residence of her mother, number 31 Troup street, Miss Eliza McCALLUM.
-Funeral at 2 ½ o’clock to-morrow (Thursday) afternoon.



Col. D. R. ANTHONY Shot - Fatal Fight Between Two Editors

Leavenworth, Ka., May 11 - An affray occurred last night on the stairway of the Opera house between Col. D. R. ANTHONY, editor of the Times and the postmaster of this city and Wm. EMBRY editor of the Appeal. ANTHONY struck EMBRY, when the latter shot him twice in the breast, supposed fatally. ANTHONY is fast sinking.



This evening another fine performance will be given at the opera house which we earnestly advise our readers to attend. The occasion is the first benefit of the popular and talented leading man of the Rochester opera house dramatic company - Harry B. HUDSON. This gentleman has been here only during the season just closing, but in that short time he has established himself as a general favorite, by his uniform gentlemanly conduct, and the invariable acceptance with which he has met in the delineation of the difficult characters assigned him. It is earnestly to be hoped that the opera house will be packed full to-night in order that Mr. HUDSON may receive the reward he deserves. The play to be presented is "Life’s Revenge." Volunteer talent of a high order will appear.

A feature of the evening’s entertainment will be a new song and dance written expressly for Hudson’s benefit by "Beckenmeyer" (H. C. DANIELS), of the Sunday Times, and entitled, "Der German Turner ball." It will be rendered in character by William JAMES, the brilliant young character artist. The entertainment will conclude with the fine comedy, "Maid of Erin."



Mrs. Eliza LOGAN, mother of Olive, died at Philadelphia yesterday morning. On receiving this intelligence Miss LOGAN returned to this city from Mt. Morris, (where she lectured last night) and her remaining lecture engagements in this section are postponed to a future time. Miss LOGAN will probably leave to-day for Cincinnati, where it is expected the deceased will be taken for burial in the family lot in Spring Grove cemetery.

Mrs. LOGAN was widely known and esteemed; especially among theatrical people, having been in her youth an actress of much popularity. She was the mother of eight children, six of whom survive her. Her eldest daughter, Eliza LOGAN, was a celebrated tragedienne, and died some two years ago. Her eldest son is Hon. Cornelius A. LOGAN, now U. S. minister to Chili.



Judge S. G. HADLEY of Seneca Falls, one of the state assessors was in this city yesterday. Though not on official business, he called on the assessors and expressed satisfaction with the manner in which they have complied with the law.



Yesterday morning about 10 o’clock, a man named Michael DONOHUGH committed a brutal outrage on his little sister, aged only ten years at the family residence, corner of Flint and Seward streets, in the eighth ward. The circumstances of the case are as follows: Mrs. DONOHUGH went to a neighbor’s house in the morning to work. Michael, who is twenty-seven years of age, remained at home with the two children. He ordered one of them to go for some beer. It was brought and he drank it. He then tried to make his little sister Johanna drink some of the beer, but she refused. She also refused to eat an orange which he wished her to do. She went out of the room to a bed-room where the brute followed her and committed the horrible outrage upon her person. His victim fainted and the younger sister ran for the mother. When she came the trouble was speedily ascertained. Michael in the meantime had left the house. His mother reported the case to the police officer. Chief McLEAN sent Detective FICKETT to look for the criminal and summoned Dr. PIERCE to attend the unfortunate girl. The physician states that the probabilities are that her life can be saved, but it is a matter of doubt. The case is one so horrible and disgusting in its attendant circumstances that it is impossible to go into details.

Michael DONOHUGH was four years in state prison at Columbus Ohio, for burglary. He returned to this city in January last, and since that time has been employed in Hall’s machine shop, on South Water street. At the latest report last night he had not yet been arrested.



-Remember Harry HUDSON’s benefit at the Opera house to-night.

-Leon H. LEMPERT, the skillful scenic artist at the opera house, takes a benefit Friday night, when a very fine bill will be presented.

-For some unexplained reason the Jennie ABBOTS dramatic troupe did not appear in this city last night as advertised. A telegram from the business agent simply cancelled the engagement.

-The name of John HARMON appeared in the police report yesterday morning charged with assault. It should not be confounded with the name of a well known clerk in the store of Burke, Fitsimmons, Hone & Co.

-The funeral of the late Herbert CHURCHILL takes place this afternoon from the family residence, 13 North Washington street. The services will be conducted according to the solemn ritual of the Masonic fraternity.

-The body of the man found in the river Sunday has been identified as that of Frederick SCHWEITZAR, who formerly boarded with John SCHMIDT, a butcher on Scio street. He had been despondent for some time, and it is thought he threw himself in the river while partially insane.

-A benevolent looking old lady, with kindness beaming from every glance of her gold spectacles went into Rundel’s art gallery yesterday, and chanced to see several boxes containing magic turtles. On touching one of the boxes she was astonished to see the turtles move their heads and legs as if trying to escape. "Poor things," she exclaimed, "They’re alive yet."

-A young gentleman who was severely injured by jumping from a morning train, was so annoyed by questions as to how he was hurt that he had a large number of cards printed, which he gave out to every one who looked inquiringly at his face or said a word about it. The card read as follows: "Busted this nose in jumping from a train of cars near Fairport, Thursday, April 29th."

-To-morrow evening Rochester’s favorite comedian - Charles H. BRADSHAW - takes his farewell benefit. The entertainment will be one of the finest of the kind ever given here. The drama of "Castle" will be presented, the beneficiary appearing as Old Eceles. "Mrs. Maloney" will give her views on the Chinese question and the performance will conclude with the burlesque "Bradshaw worried by Hall."

-Last evening a wedding occurred at the residence of our well-known townsman - Joseph RAU. His eldest daughter, Anna, was united in marriage to Henry(?) VEYNE by Justice H. N. ALLEN, who transacted his part of the business in the finest style. The bridesmaids were Misses BLAW, AMAN, HAAS and RAU, and the groomsmen Messrs KALB, WAGNER, AMAN and BLUMAN. A splendid repast was served and the happy couple received the heartiest good wishes from all present.

-The notorious Mrs. Mary PARKINSON, whose place upon Hunter street has become a nuisance to the neighborhood around it, was yesterday arraigned at the police office on the charge of keeping a disorderly house. She was convicted and fined fifty dollars. Sometime since a disreputable female established an institution similar to that of Mrs. PARKINSON, where it occasioned a great deal of annoyance to the residence of the surrounding houses. The neighborhood rebelled, and petitioned the police commission to close the place. An officer was stationed near the house and the house was repeatedly raided until it was closed. The same measures might be adopted with great benefit toward the PARKINSON place.

May 13, 1875


-A tremendous gale prevailed in Buffalo yesterday. The great Racing Association and International Hippodrone, which exhibition here to-morrow and Saturday, was unable to give an exhibition n account of the storm.

-John WEBB, the man recently convicted of burglary in the first degree, in breaking into the house of Mrs. Hannah SCHENCK, on University avenue, was taken to Auburn yesterday to enter upon his term of sentence of five years.

-The blood found near the river at the foot of River street was explained yesterday by the fact that several men had taken a large white bull dog from GOULD’S livery stables to the place, knocked his brains out with a club and thrown the body into the river.

-It is thought that this state will be able to furnish enough pigeons for the state shoot, as two thousand have already been offered from the neighboring counties, and if favorable news is heard from western New York there will be no need for the Wisconsin birds.

-A horse belonging to P. ENRIGHT ran away yesterday afternoon. He passed up Allen streets to Sophia, from Sophia he turned into Center street and ran down behind the Rochester cotton mill and into the saw mill on the bank of the falls where he was stopped. Neither the horse nor the wagon to which he was attached were much injured by the run.

-Samuel LOCKWOOD was arrested yesterday on the charge of having stolen certain household goods from John McCOMBER. The latter was moving into the city from Brighton, and LOCKWOOD assisted the carman to load the goods. The two worthies then drove to the city and sold the goods at a place on Front street, while McCOMBER was wondering what had become of them.



-Olive LOGAN left for Philadelphia last evening to attend the funeral services of her mother.

-At a regular meeting of the I. O. of Forresters, held last evening, Dr. J. E. SEELEY was unanimously elected court physician for the ensuing year.

-Yesterday Eben W. HUNT, a young and talented citizen of Rochester, left for Syracuse, where in future he intends to reside. Mr. HUNT was recently admitted to the bar and still commence the practice of his profession in that city. He is a man of fine talent, which has been developed by long and faithful study, and, possessing unusual adaptability for the profession he has chosen, we predict for him a career of great usefulness and success.

-We notice the following in the Utica observer, in relation to two young ladies well known in this city. They are ladies of rare intelligence and culture, and their many friends here, while regretting their departure from the city, will wish them the best of success in their new enterprise:

The Misses KENDRICK, daughter of Professor A. C. KENDRICK, D. D., Lt. D., of Rochester University, will open a select school for misses and children in this city at their former residence, number 18 Clark place, early in September next. Miss Florence KENDRICK is not a stranger to our citizens, as she was for nearly four years a teacher in the Free Academy. She and her sister will spare no pains to make this school thorough and attractive. The young ladies will teach, besides the usual English branches, Latin, French, German and music, and will give instruction in any of these studies to classes of young ladies who are not otherwise connected with the school. They have arrangements partly made for a course of lectures, to be delivered by gentlemen whose names are well-known and popular in Utica. These lectures will be free to their pupils and patrons. Terms and time of opening to be announced hereafter.



Michael Donahue Arrested in Buffalo - He is Brought Back to Rochester by Detective Rogers

The public have already read the details of the DONAHUE incest case, which occurred in this city on Tuesday. We need not repeat the details of the horrible crime. Chief McLEAN immediately planned the capture of the guilty wretch. During Tuesday night his house was carefully watched by Captain SULLIVAN and detectives LYNCH and ROGERS, and when they left, policeman SLOAN was stationed there and remained until daylight yesterday. Policeman BENDON watched another house which it was thought DONAHUE might enter, and Roundsman McCORMICK guarded still another for the same purpose. He was not found, however, and yesterday morning, Chief McCLEAN, determined to catch him if possible, telegraphed freely in all directions and sent Detective ROGERS to Buffalo, Detective LYNCH to Avon, Detective HUGHES to Syracuse and Detective FICKETT to Canandaigua. Further information have been gathered which led to the belief that DONAHUE would attempt to take a train at Avon, Officer McBURNEY was also sent there. A reward of $100 was offered by Chief McLEAN.


The following dispatch was received by Chief McLEAN about half-past 8 last evening;
Buffalo, May 12,
To chief of police, Rochester:
I have got DONAHUE. Will be home on first train. W. J. ROGERS
Detective ROGERS arrived here on the St. Louis express at 12 o’clock last night, with DONAHUE in irons. When the detective reached Buffalo, he went to police headquarters and notified Chief BYRNES of his mission. The latter immediately telegraphed the fact to the different precincts, giving a full description of DONAHUE and instructing the different detectives use their best efforts to secure DONAHUE. In company with Detectives CUSICK and RILEY of Buffalo, Detective ROGERS then went out to search for DONAHUE. They visited a large number of places, and finally entered the Shamrock house on Michigan street. Here they ascertained that two men had appeared the previous night, one of whom registered as "A L. GIFFORD, Rochester." The description of this man answered exactly that of DONAHUE, except that "GIFFORD" wore a gray coat. "GIFFORD" had left the hotel at 6 a.m., and had not returned. The detectives then started for headquarters again. On their way there they met Detectives SHEPHERD and MACK, to whom they related the facts ascertained at the hotel. About three years ago, Detectives ROGERS and HUGHES of this city had arrested on a telegram from Buffalo, John DONAHUE, a brother of Michael. Detectives SHEPHERD and MACK had come to this city and removed him to Buffalo, from where he was subsequently sentenced to six years imprisonment at Auburn, for highway robbery. SHEPHERD and MACK knew the runways of this brother, where he tended bar, etc, and they thought that Michael might go to some of these. They started out to search them. Entering a low dive on Can?? Street, they found Michael DONAHUE lying across a barrel and vomiting. He was very drunk. They quickly removed him to headquarters where he was ironed and taken to the depot. A large crowd congregated there and threatened to lynch him, but the officers guarded him closely and there was no hostile demonstration. When Detective ROGERS arrived at the depot in this city, there was no crowd present, but one man insisted upon hanging or shooting DONAHUE. He was quickly silenced, however. At the police office, DONAHUE was carefully searched, his blood-stained underclothing was removed for evidence and he was placed in a cell.


DONAHUE, who was very much under the influence of liquor, was found by our reporter at the police office. His statement was as follows: My name is Michael DONAHUE; I am about twenty-six; was born in Rochester; lived here with my mother on Frost avenue; went to bed Monday night; my mother, four sisters and brother were in the house; got up about 9 o’clock Tuesday morning; I went to bed drunk; I got up drunk and I am drunk now; I have been on a big spree; just as soon as I got up I went down to Stetzenmeyer’s and got four or five drinks; I read the morning paper there too; when I got home my mother pitched into me and said I had done something to my sister; I said to her, "I don’t know what in hell you’r talking about." She kept on and another woman came in and commenced blowing at me; I told them they were putting up a job on me and that I would go away; I was intending to go west for some time past; I left the house; did not take anything but what I had on; I had not seen the sister the said I ravished that morning; I left about 10 a.m.; I had a trunk of clothing there; I went to West Main street; went into a saloon and got three or four drinks; laid down and went to sleep there; slept an hour or so and got up; went over to Brown street; staid around there till night; a train came along and I jumped on; it was out near the State Line road depot; I got in the train; had a ticket; no I did not have a ticket; paid my fare in money, went to Buffalo; got off there and went to a private house; the house of a brother-in-law of a printer named Russell; got up this morning early and went out and got some drinks and was around Buffalo all day drinking, and was drunk when they arrested me; I was coming to Rochester to-night.
While giving this account the prisoner was greatly agitated, told some different stories, and contradicted himself, recalling what he had read repeatedly.
Chief McLEAN and the detectives engaged in this work deserve great credit for their untiding efforts to secure DONAHUE, and much praise is due to Chief BYRNES and the Buffalo officers who did such effectual work in securing the criminal.



Crushed By The Cars

A Young Man Named Samuel MOORE Run Over at John street Crossing -
The Wheels Pass Directly Over his Body - The Hips and Legs Crushed

For some time past our city has been comparatively free from those terrible railroad accidents, which occur periodically and generally through culpable carelessness. Yesterday, however, one took place, at John street crossing which was, all the more terrible from the fact that it was entirely and purely the result of negligence. Some time since, our readers may remember, a young man named Samuel MOORE was arrested for throwing wheat at passengers in the street cars. That same boy yesterday was the victim of his own spirit of lawlessness and carelessness. It appears he has for some time been in the habit of catching upon passing trains, playing tricks upon the men employed thereon, and then leaping off again. His favorite sport was to ride back and forth upon the cars and locomotives while switching, about John street and vicinity. Day before yesterday he was thus engaged and would certainly have been knocked from the car by a switch signal had not the flagman saved him. He was not at all frightened by this and continued his dangerous sport. Yesterday he was again at it, and while endeavoring to clamber upon a switch engine, slipped and fell beneath the wheels. The car followed the locomotive passed entirely over him, the wheels crossing the body at the hips. The pelvic bones were crushed, but strange to say, the flesh was not cut. The left foot and ankle were crushed and the flesh of the leg as far as the knee was split open. The boy was cared for as well as possible by the railroad men until medical attendance could be secured. Dr. CASEY was called and Coroner MORRISON was also notified, as it was thought the boy was dying. The unfortunate young man was conveyed to St. Mary’s hospital, where Drs. CASEY, CAREY and MOORE examined his injuries. It was concluded that death must speedily ensue, and therefore it was not thought advisable to amputate the crushed leg. The physicians state that inflammation will soon set in, which will, of course, result fatally. When our reporter saw Dr. CARROLL last evening, he stated that it would be very strange if the boy should live longer than a day or two, but that it would not be at all surprising if he died during the night.
The parents of the unfortunate boy are poor laboring people, who reside on Saxton street. They were around his bedside at the hospital last night, expecting death would soon come. The injured boy is only seventeen years of age.



A very high wind swept through the city yesterday afternoon, doing some damage. About noon a brick wall, sixteen feet high and sixty feet long, was blown down near the corner of Buffalo and Sophia streets. It was the new wall of a building in process of erection by J. O. PETTINGILL. A very large tree was thrown across the street railroad track on Monroe street and stopped the cars for nearly an hour. Another large tree was blown down on Alexander street. A board in front of Haas’s drug store was taken up by the wind and thrown against a young man, who was considerably hurt. A large light of glass in one of the windows of the dry goods store of Burke, FitzSimons, Hone & Co., was blown in. Joseph CRANK and Charles BLAIR were struck by the glass, and the former was badly injured about the hand. Mr. BLAIR was cut about the head in a severe manner. Dr. BUCKLEY was summoned and dressed his wounds.
It is stated that a vessel, bound to Toronto with pig iron and limestone, tried to make the port of Charlotte and struck the port dock in so doing and sprung a leak. Another vessel, unable to get in, anchored outside.
A high fence on South St. Paul street was blown down. It fell upon William BERRY, an old man of eighty years. He was not much injured, and was removed to his home in the rear of 32 Jefferson street. The table in front of Clark’s grocery store, corner of Jackson and South St. Paul streets, were blown around, and, striking the front windows of the store, broke them badly. The wooden railing on the south side of Main street bridge was blown down.

May 14, 1875


-The jury in the assault and battery case of SMITH vs M?RRILL, on trial in the county court yesterday, brought in a verdict for the plaintiff for $137.50.

-A Sunday school institute of the Rochester district is to be held at Charlotte on May 18th and 19th. Rev. A. D. NETTLETON, conductor; and J. Milton FRENCH, musical director.

-The trial of Charles EIGHMEY, indicted for the murder of George CRANDALL, commences to-day at Canandaigua in the courts of Oyer and Terninor, before Justice C. C. DWIGHT. District Attorney HICKS appears for the people and J. P. FAUROT and John E. DEAN for the defendant.

-Dr. A. A. MORGAN yesterday received from his daughter, Mrs. J. H. LANE, of Kansas City, a vial containing specimens of young grasshoppers, which have already made their appearance in that vicinity. The vitality of the vermin is shown by the fact that most of them are as lively as ever in spite of their long incarceration in the bottle.

-A team belonging to John ABELE ran away on Hudson street yesterday afternoon. They dashed up to Herman street where they collided with a baker’s cart. It was overturned and the driver, Adam WEISNER, thrown to the ground, injuring him slightly on Lowell street they tore down a pump and a small shade tree. They were then stopped by Officer BARRY.



Robert DeGARMO and wife, to Charles LEWIS, lot on Julia street. Consideration, $1,159.

Francis G. WORCESTER and husband, to Lucy A. DERRICK, lot on Madison street, $450.

Joseph and Susannah JAMES, to William and Labella JAMES, part of lot number 17, in the tract known as Johnson and Seymour, $3,500.

Rosanna P. JOSLYN, to Sophia D. SCHUYLER, lot on the north side of Woodford place, Consideration, $2,500.

Ira L. OTIS and wife and Charles A. POOL and wife, to Patrick COOPER, lot in Brighton, $520.

John SEBLENKER and wife to Addie M. TOWLES, lot on west side of Hollister street, $500.

William M. CALVERST to James A. JORDON, lot on Hamilton place, $4,500.

Jared NORTHUP and wife, to William M. CALVERT, lot on Hamilton place, $3,600.

Adelia R. HOPKINS to Julia THOMPSON, lot on Nichols street $1,500.

Wilson HANFORD and wife, to Belle R. HARWOOD, lot in village of Fairport, $2,325.

Fred M. SOUTHGATE and wife, to Miles S. CUTTING, 100 acres in town of Mendon, $1,750.



HUGGINS - In this city, on the 12th inst., in the 74th year of his age, Spencer C. HUGGINS.
-Funeral at Mount Hope chapel, on Friday, the 14th inst., at 10:30 a.m.



Coroner MORRISON yesterday held an inquest on the body of Samuel MOORE who was killed by falling in trying to jump on a car. The jury exonerated the Central railroad company from all blame and requested the coroner to secure from the mayor and police commissioners authority by which flagmen, switchmen and other like employes may act as special police and arrest all persons who attempt to jump on moving trains or locomotives.

Such authority ought to be granted. The officials of the company declare their readiness ro give orders for the employes named to act as special police, and if the plan is adopted there may be a stop to a practice which occasions a death or loss of limb every day or two.

May 17, 1875


LESTER - SIDDONS - In this city, May 13th, by Rev. Dr. SHAW, Mrs. Jane D. E. SIDDONS to James LESTER, both of this city.



BUELL - In Montclair, N. J., May 15th, of typhoid fever, Byron W. BUELL of New York, aged 29 years.
-The remains will be brought to this city for interment. Notice of funeral hereafter.

HAHN - In this city, on the evening of Sunday, May 16th, Frank A. HAHN, aged 24 years.
-Funeral from the residence, ? Marshall street, at 9 o’clock on Tuesday morning.

SHEEAN - In this city, Sunday morning, May 16th, 1875, Ellen A. SHEEAN, aged 21 years and 11 months.
-Funeral from the family residence, 116 Adams street, Tuesday, Tuesday morning at 3 ½ o’clock and from the church of the Immaculate Conception at ? O’clock. Friends of the family are invited to attend.



-Policeman D.... arrested a youth named John CULLINAN last night for driving away a horse fro where it had been left by its owner.

-On Saturday afternoon Depot policeman LEUPERT and policeman MORRISON arrested a man named John WILD, who was flourishing a revolver and had threatened to shoot several persons.

-Rev. Noah PORTER, D. D., LL.D., president of Yale college, will deliver an address before the Robinson rhetorical society of the theological seminary to-morrow evening in the second Baptist church.

-In our court records will be found a decision of the important case of HAMBERGER versus the Erie railroad company. The plaintiff was put off from the train after he had offered to pay his fare.

-The men BRIDGMEN, HOGAN and CHAPMAN, who were arrested by Game Constable BROWN for violating the game laws, were brought before Justice ALLEN on Friday. They plead guilty to the charge and were fined twenty-five dollars a piece.

-The veterans of the 140th regiment have appointed the following committee to make arrangements for the proper celebration of decoration day; Colonel William A. GRANT?YN, Captain P. H. SULLIVAN, Captain J. E. McDERMOTT, John BIETZER, William GIERING and F. B. STALLMAN.

-A young lady named Mary Ann BOND, who resides at 25 Pomey street was attacked by an epileptic fit on the corner of State and Main streets Saturday afternoon. She was taken into the Erie railway office by Detective ROGERS where she soon recovered and proceeded homeward.

-The Phoenix sportsmen’s club, of Seneca Falls, has just elected the following officers: president, James F. LAWRENCE; vice-president, A.F. COMPSON; secretary, A. W. WORTH; treasurer, Wm. PARISH; attorney, John B. MURRAY; executive committee, Horace SILSBY, M. HOAG, John S. EDWARDS; delegates to state convention, Horace SILSBY, M. HOAG, Charles CHAMBERLIN, Wm. LAWRENCE, M. RUMSEY.

-Last evening a most disorderly row occurred at the notorious saloon run by "Tony" MAHER on the corner of Green and Jackson streets. Edward LAWLESS, John LAWLESS, John CARR alias "Chick a dee pop" and MAHER got into a fight. Policemen DUKELOW and WORDELL arrested Edward LAWLESS and Tony MAHER, while the other two fled. On Exchange street MAHER slipped away from WORDELL, who had him in custody, and has not since been arrested. Edward LAWLESS had his nose bitten.

-Among the persons who applied for lodging at the police office last night was a respectable looking man who gave his name as Robert SHIELDS. He says that he left his home in Troy, where he has a wife and three children, several months ago and went to Michigan in search for work as a cooper. He obtained work, but accidently broke an arm. When his arm had partially recovered in strength he started for Troy with two dollars in his pocket and has walked over 600 miles so far and intends to walk to Troy. His injured arm prevented him from catching rides upon the cars, as he could not jump on and off without hurting himself.

-In United States court, Saturday, James LESTER, postmaster at Sterling, Cayuga county, was convicted of breaking open a letter. After giving bail to appear for sentence, he went home on business errands. William SMITH, for breaking into a post-office in Saratoga county, was sent to Auburn for five years. John ABLER, of this city, was convicted of failing to stamp thirteen boxes of salve. The violation was evidently simple technical, and, though a fine was imposed, the judge said if the accused had no money he knew of no way to collect it. Court will reassemble this morning at 11 o’clock.



On Saturday George HAVER, who has a carriage shop at the corner of North and Franklin streets and resides at 62 Court street, while inspecting some lumber on the second floor of Bentley’s saw mill on the Island, stepped on a loose board and fell to the ground below, a distance of twelve feet. He remained insensible for some time, was brought home and now lies there in a critical condition, as his injuries are evidently internal. Mr. HAVER is sixty-two years of age. He is attended by Drs. PEER and DAVISON.



The friends of D. R. ANTHONY received a telegram from Leavenworth yesterday, stating that his condition indicated a favorable reaction. His constitution is so strong that he may possibly recover in spite of his fearful wounds. The surgeons think that his recovery is wholly a matter of chance.



About 7 o’clock Saturday evening, Detective ROGERS ascertained that a not very pious looking individual was attempting to force an entrance into Trinity church, on the corner of Center and Frank streets. The officer quietly observed the movements of the man for a short time, and, becoming satisfied that he was intent upon entering the church for evil purposes, caught him when half way through a window and placed him on the ground. The fellow was not at all abashed and quickly replied to the officer’ interrogative as to what he was trying to do, that he was looking after Mr. CLAFFEY, the organist of the church. Mr. ROGERS knew that Mr. CLAFFEY was not the organist, and told the man so. The fellow said he resided at 64 South avenue. At the police office he admitted that he resided at Niagara Falls, and came to this city on Thursday last. Yesterday he was committed to jail to await an examination for burglary. Had he waited until Sunday he might have entered the church freely, and received proper instruction. As it is now he will probably enter a prison instead of a church.



On Wednesday last a man called at the livery stable of William H. BUMP in Palmyra and stated that he wanted a horse to drive about six miles. He secured a horse and carriage, gave his name as A. J. THATCHER and drove away. Nothing further was heard of THATCHER or the horse, until Mr. BUMP received a postal card, directed to "The Livery-stable keeper at Palmyra," dated at Rochester, and which read as follows:
Send Boy to stabel Mr. Postmaster Horse and Buggy at hotel at north end of st car tract Lake ave Send 50 cents I paid for kep - Bring hanoss everything else all rit Ask no quistions until after proporty in your porsession - Call as tho nothing happened.
   On coming to this city, Mr. BUMP found the horse and carriage at BOYD'S hotel on Lake avenue, but the harness robe and whip had been taken away by the man who brought them there. Securing a description of the supposed thief, Mr. BUMP in company with Officer BARRY started out in search of him. By means of the description obtained Officer BARRY tracked the fugitive to his residence, on the corner of Ontario and Finney streets, his right name being Charles HUNN. The robe was found in one place, where HUNN had left it, and the harness and whip at another. HUNN jumped through a window, but the officer and Mr. BUMP pursued him so closely for about half a mile that he surrendered and was taken to the police office, where he was fully identified by Mr. BUMP as the man who hired the horse at Palmyra on Wednesday last. Policeman BARRY ran so fast after the fugitive that a gentleman inquired what young policeman it was that could chase a thief so closely.



The Center of New York's Garden Ground
The Erie Canal - Early Settlers - How Albion Became a County Seat -
Changed from Swamp to Fertile Land - The Growth of the Village -
Manufacturing Interests. - Quarries

The ground whereon the thriving village of Albion now stands was included in the tract purchased by the Holland company, and the titles to property therein are all based on the original grants of that company. It was a swampy place and was anything but a land of promise to the pioneers in search of a home in Western New York. The Iroquois had used these grounds long ago for hunting but when the white settlers came here they found a few Tonawandans who came from the settlements of their tribe a few miles south to fish and hunt. About 1803 Joseph ELLIOTT caused a road to be laid out from Batavia, the headquarters of the Holland purchase, Oak Orchard harbor. This was long before railroads or canals were thought of for this section, and when men were devising means to secure water transportation with the great towns of Canada and the east. ELLIOTT'S plan included the survey of a town at Oak Orchard harbor to be called Manilla. Manilla was to be a great port, through which the commerce of this region was to be shipped to Oswego, Quebec and Montreal. The "broad Oak Orchard road," as it was called, was to be the great highway leading to this sea port. The results of this enterprise, like that of the town surveyed by Robert TROUPE at Sodus harbor for a similar purpose is too well known to need any explanation.
The Oak Orchard road, however, though it did not effect the building of a town at the harbor, did a very good thing for the country around. The first settlers in the vicinity of Albion located upon it. The first who settled upon ground now within the corporate limits of Albion was William McCALLISTER, who took up a large tract of land and erected the first log hut upon the site of the Phipps seminary in 1811. In the following year the wife of McCALLISTER died. There was no woman within many miles, only four men gathered at the funeral. They had no nails and made a rude coffin from boards fastened together with wooden pins. It was one of the saddest funerals on record. A short time after the death of his wife, McCALLISTER sold out to William BRADNER, who commenced to clear the heavily timbered land. To his brother, Joel BRADNER, he sold 100 acres fronting on the road. Joel erected a hut near the site of Hon. Sanford E. CHURCH'S present residence.
In 1814 Elijah DARROW purchased about 100 acres, also fronting on the Oak Orchard road. He sold out, however, in the same year, to Frederick HOLSENBURGH, who cleared a space, built a hut and moved in, John HOLSENBURGH took up, in 1812, another tract near his brother about the same time.
In 1812 Jesse BUMPUS purchased 163 acres from the Holland land company. He cleared away the timber near the road and erected a hut into which he moved with his family. After this settlers came in more freely, took up the land lying away from the main road and began the work of clearing the timber. All this region was then heavily timbered and bears, deers, wolves, etc., abounded. One day F. HOLSENBURG found a bear cub near where the Central depot now stands. He took it home and that night was awakened by the efforts of the old bear to enter the cabin. He had no gun, and could not get at the bear with a club unless he opened the door. He quietly pitched the cub out of doors and the unwelcome visitor departed with it. At this time - about 1816 - the roads were still bad, and a good market was far away. A trade in ashes had been started in 1814. A short time after the trade in stoves commenced. Both of these articles were sent to Montreal and they for some time formed the only source of the farmer's revenue. In 1818 the first crop of wheat was raised in this vicinity.


In 1819 Nehemiah INGERSOLL, who is said to have first started the idea of a village, arrived here. He purchased, in company with George STANDART, Jr., 100 acres from H. BRADNER. They also purchased from others and employed Orange RISDEN to survey the ground into village lots and streets. INGERSOLL is said to have named the proposed village Newport, after Newport, R. I.
The first tavern was kept by O. H. BLACK, the second by Philetus BUMPUS, William BRADNER erected on Sandy Creek the first saw mill, also the first grist mill. Orson NICHOLSON who came in 1822 was the first physician, he also opened the first drug store. Henry R. CURTIS was the first lawyer. The first school was kept by the wife of Silas BENTON, who kept boarders, kept house and kept school in the same building. The early merchants were William BRADNER, Harvey GOODRICH and R. S. & L. BURROWS.


The name of the settlement was at first Newport, and the way in which it received its present name was that a public meeting was called to consider the subject of changing the name of the village. The people were induced to take this step because there was another village in the state called Newport and this caused great trouble with mail matter. It was decided to change the name to Albion, and it was done, and the village was incorporated as Albion in 1828.
In 1829, the county of Orleans was organized and commissioners were appointed for the purpose of locating the site of the county buildings. The principal contestants for this honor were Gaines and Albion. The commissioners visited Gaines, heard the people, were well treated and started out for Albion. Here the people were worldly wise and determined to have the building if possible. They were conveyed to the residence of Nehemiah INGERSOLL, where they partook of a well prepared dinner. After the meal, and when the commissioners felt very good, they were placed in a carriage and driven around the enterprising village, while Philetus BUMPUS and Nehemiah INGERSOLL expatiated upon the future growth of the place. A branch of Handy creek runs through the town. A building had been erected for a mill but had never been occupied. A dam had been built. BUMPUS caused this dam to be raised several days before the commissioners appeared, and when they whirled by in their carriage they saw a broad sheet of water, a fine mill and abundant power. When out of sight of it BUMPUS told them in a quiet way what a grand thing it was for a town to have water power and how abundantly Albion had been blessed with it. It was this act which determined the location of the buildings. They were located here in 1825. In 1856 the county clerk's office was erected, in 1838 the county jail was built and they still stand.

                                                                THE CANAL

passed directly through Albion and has added greatly to its wealth and importance. Ir became a large shipping point - it was the county seat, it was the center of a large trade and it grew rapidly into importance. Before railroads had intersected the state, the canal was the great channel of commerce, and the towns along its banks became busy centers of trade for the country for miles around. Albion was one of the busiest of these. Its enterprising merchants erected warehouses, Nehemiah INGERSOLL building the first in 1826. An immense trade was carried on in lumber. The surrounding country was rapidly opened, after the canal had furnished an outlet for its products. The swamps were changed to fertile farms, and the tract that at one time was considered good for nothing, except fever and ague, became a vast garden. This cultivation has gone on, and now the land about Albion is among the richest, most valuable and productive in western New York. The village was described as follows, in 1836:

It contains one Presbyterian and one Methodist church; a high school seminary for females; a court house of brick, a neat edifices in which are the county offices, erected upon a public square; a prison of hewn logs, a bank incorporated the 30th of April 1834, with a capital of $200,000, four forwarding and commission houses; thirteen dry goods stores, one wholesale hardware store two druggists stores, two shoe and leather stores, one bookstore, two tanneries, one ??bery, two ?rist mills, three saw mills, one carding and cloth dressing mill, one furnace for casting iron, four taverns, one wholesale and several retail groceries, various mechanics, nine lawyers and five physicians, two printing offices, 221 dwellings of brick and wood, many of which are large, neat and commodious, surrounded by a fertile country abounding in fruit, such as apples, pears, peaches, apricots, nectarines, grapes, etc.

John HUBBARD, who came here in 1826, and who still resides here, was visited by our reporter and told his story as follows:- I came from Jefferson county to this place in 1826. I got on a steamboat at Sacketts Harbor and got off at Hanford's Landing, now in the city of Rochester. Then I got (unreadable) line boat at Rochester, and arrived here on the 26th of August, 1826. It was a small village then, and they had just changed the name to Albion. R. S. and L. BURROWS, Phineas PHILLIPS, Ambrose WOOD and John HENDERSON are all the ones that are here now of those that came here before I did. A stage used to run to Batavia then, going out one day and coming back the next. Henry HENDERSON ran it. There were no Indians living around here, though the Tonawandas had a settlement several miles south and used to come to Albion to sell their goods and trade. There were deer and bears around here when I came, but no wolves. I think there were about 200 people here when I arrived - not over 200. I purchased some land and began to make wagons, and have done so since on a small scale. A good canal trade grew up here. White wood lumber, staves and wheat were the principal articles shipped from here. The land around here was low and heavily timbered. Main street has been filled up a good deal; about five feet or more it used to be swampy, all around except on the hill where the court house stands. The business portion was situated in about the same place as now. There being no water power here, there has never been a great deal of manufacturing; but the local demand has nearly always been supplied in most things. The canal made the town grow; then the railroad helped it along, and, being the county seat and the center of a rich farming land, it had always made it a busy place.
Ambrose WOOD came in 1825 and still resides here, being now in his seventy-first year. He removed from Penfield, coming from Rochester on the canal. He states that deer were plenty, but that there were not many bears here when he came. Two men while making sugar started a bear. Every one got his gun and started. The bear made a wide circuit and finally run through the village, while the men with the guns were in the woods hunting for him. About 200 people were here when Mr. WOOD came. A man named SMITH fired the gun which welcomed the lieutenant-governor when he came through on the opening of the canal.

                                                              AN OLD SETTLER

Amos GEL???, who resides a short distance outside of Albion, and who is now seventy-eight, was also visited by our reporter. He says, I came to Ridgeway with my parents in 1811. It was then the town Batavia, and the people had to go to Batavia and do town business. Some did not like it, so they got all the people to the north, all east as far as Murray and all west as far as they had settled, seceded from Batavia and erected the town of Ridgeway. The Tonawanda Indians were the only ones around here then. This place where Albion now stands was covered with heavy timber then, and was a rather low and swampy sort of a place. I helped to put up the first mill at Ridgeway, and I helped to build the first barn in town. The first marriage that took place in this section was a strange one. A man was arrested for debt and they got a judgment against him. They were going to take him to Batavia to jail, and he knew he could swear himself out in thirty days if he was a married man. So he got the justice and hurried of to the girl's house, and was married before they could recover from their astonishment. But it turned out all right. The first children born here were those of Lansing BAILLEY - a pair of twins. He cut a log and made a cradle for them. I came with my father, mother, five brothers and three sisters. We came up by the ridge, though it could hardly be called a road then. We located at Ridgeway corners and took up one hundred and seventy-eight acres of land. Dr. William WHITE, David HOOKER and Otis TURNER were living near there then, when we came. There were plenty of deer and bear. Albert WHITE who still lives near here and who was the son of Dr. WHITE, found a cub one day and started home with it, but the old bear came along rather too fast and he dropped the cub, but the old one kept right on after him and he had to jump down a high bank to get away from her. During the war of 1812, we were afraid of the Canada Indians, but the Tonawandas were friendly. We could distinctly hear the noise of the battle near Lewiston. The people thought the British were coming and they got into a block-house that Dr. WHITE, Otis TURNER and HOOKER had built. No one came to hurt them, however. After the war the people came in here freely. Albion was then as swampy a piece of ground in some parts as Rochester used to be, they jumped from one log to another there. One summer my cousin Eli FARR and I laid in the woods about a mile north of here all summer, and cleared eight acres. We burnt it and sold the ashes and put the proceeds into wheat. There was no house around, and there were some weeks we did not see anyone. We had come out of the woods to get a sight of anyone. We had a camp kettle, a knife and a hatchet, and when we got a bushel of corn I walked down to Rochester and got it ground. When I got back, we used to wet it and stir it up then we baked it on a chip and ate it. If we were fortunate enough to get potatoes, we had a banquet of corn-cakes and potatoes, with water from the spring. When the canal was surveyed through here it was a mud hole. When this county was first erected, Gaines used to be the county seat. But afterward the commissioners appointed Albion the county seat. I have lived just about a mile north of Albion for about forty years.


In 1823, Oliver COWDERY who has been the pioneer printer in many villages of Western New York, issued the Newport patriot and continued it until 1825. Then T. C. STRONG issued it until 1829. John KEMPSHALL then issued it for nine months, when it stopped. After it had been silent for about nine months, Mr. STRONG was induced to assume the duties of publisher a second time and continued so until 1844. It was then conducted by J. & J. H. DENIO until 1853, when S. a. ANDREWS assumed command and conducted it until 1861. D. S. & H. A. BRUNER then published it until the death of the former and it has since been issued by H. A. BRUNER. It has changed the title and is now known as the Orleans American.
Cephas S. McCONNELL established the Orleans Republican in 1828. In 1841 he sold out and it passed through several hands until 1848 when Mr. McCONNELL again took possession of it. In 1851, J. O. WILLSEA & C. G. BEACH came in. In 1860, C. G. BEACH purchased the share of Mr. WILLSEA and continued the publication until his decease in 1868. B. H. RANDOLPH was the editor from 1868 till 1870. F. G. & L. H. BEACH have edited the paper since then.

                                                        CHURCHES AND SCHOOLS

The first religious society organized in Albion was the Presbyterian, which commenced, in 1824, with sixteen members. Rev. William JOHNSTON was the first pastor, Rev. E. B. WALSWORTH is the present pastor. The society have just erected a splendid church, at an expense of $80,000.
The Baptist church was organized, in 1830, with twenty-four members, Rev. Asa IRONS being the first pastor. In 1831 a church was erected. Rev. J. W. B. CLARK is the present pastor.
The Methodist Episcopal church commenced, in 1830, with ten members. Rev. J. W. NEVINS was the first pastor, and Rev. R. C. BROWNLEE is the present one.
The Episcopal church was founded in 1844, Rev. Orrin MILLER being the first rector, Rev. E. T. SANFORD is the present rector.

The Catholic church was established in 1852, Rev. Father DILLON being the first pastor, Rev. J. CASTALDIA is the present pastor.
The Free Methodist church was organized a short time since, Rev. A. n. MOORE being the present pastor.
In 1833 Miss Caroline PHIPPS opened, in Albion, a select school for young ladies. It was very successful. In 1836 a seminary was erected. Miss PHIPPS was united to H. L. ACHILLES, and removed to Rochester, leaving the seminary in charge of two sisters. In 1844 Mrs. ACHILLIES returned to take charge of the school. In 1840 the school was incorporated under the name of "The PHIPPS Union Female Academy." Owing to two recent and destructive fires the academy is at present closed. It is expected to reopen in the fall, however.
The Albion academy, an old and valued educational institution, is at present under the care of Professor A. STILLSON. Besides the above there are four well conducted district schools and two select schools, those of Miss P. A. FOSTER and Miss O. C. BENTON, at Albion.
Albion also possesses an educating power in the shape of a circulating library of nearly 2,000 volumes and reading room.

                                                       THE COUNTY BUILDINGS

Of Orleans county, excepting the alms house, are all situated at Albion. The Orleans county agricultural society, organized in
(Next 10 lines unreadable with a big chunk missing)

The Mount Albion cemetery, about two miles north of the court house, is a beautiful place. It was laid out in 1843 and has been carefully attended to until now. In this cemetery is a fine monument memory of the soldiers who went from here to fall in the cause of freedom. It will be dedicated on the coming decoration day. In side is a spiral staircase leading to the observatory above. Tablets containing the names of those to whose memory it was erected are placed upon the monument.
There are two banks at Albion - the bank of Orleans, incorporated in 1834, and the bank of Albion, incorporated in 1839. The charter of the latter is for 1000 years and will legally expire in 2839. It is to be hoped that all of the good people of Albion will be present at that time to see that the expiration of the charter is duly attended to.

The hotels of Albion are the Albion house, Warner Brothers proprietors; the Orleans house, Tay & Son proprietors; the Exchange hotel, R. P. BORDWELL proprietor. The railroad lunch house at Albion, over which the well known and popular H. J. REYNOLDS presides, is one of the best conducted and best patronised on the Central road. A new depot will soon be erected on the site of one destroyed by fire a short time since. It will be of brick.


The lawyers of Albion are A. THOMAS, John G. SAWYER, Charles A. KEELER, J. M. THOMPSON, S. S. SPENCER, George BULLARD, Henry A. GLIDDEN, H. S. GOFF(?), Edwin A. REYNOLDS, A. W. CRANDALL, J. H. WHITE, Edwin PORTER, John CUNNEEN, and Clark D. KNAPP. The physicians are William McKENNAN, William NOBLE, H. W. LEWIS, E. P. SQUIER, J. W. HENRY, J. W. RANDALL, A. B. BOTTSFORD and A. L. L. POTTER.


The manufacturing interest of Albion, Though not large, is still of much importance. There are three planing mills, four carriage factories, Jerome LEE'S flouring mill, George W. OUGH'S furniture manufactory, Field & Diem's marble works, and the Curtis manufacturing company. The quarries about Albion are very valuable and employ from 250 to 300 hands during the summer. Wetmore & Co. are the largest proprietors.

                                                            REPRESENTATIVE MEN

To Albion belong a number of men who have become famous. Among them may be mentioned Chief Justice Sanford E. CHURCH, Hon, Noah DAVIS, ex-Governor BULLOCK of Georgia, Benjamin FIELD and G. M. PULLMAN, the great drawing room sleeping car man.

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Union & Advertiser
Mon May 24, 1875


In Lima, Monday, May 24th, 1875, Anthony YORK, aged 70 years.
-Funeral from residence in Lima, Tuesday afternoon, May 25th, at 3 o'clock. Friends are invited to attend.

Sunday, May 23d, 1875, Ann O'REILLY, aged 84 years, mother of Bernard O'REILLY.
-Funeral from the family residence, 66 Frank St., and at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Tuesday morning, May 25th, at 9 o'clock.

In Spencerport, Monroe county, on Saturday evening, May 22d, 1875, Lucina BARRETT, widow of the late Isaac S. BANGS, aged 66(?) years.
-The funeral will take place on Tuesday afternoon, May 25, at 4:30 o'clock.