Rochester, Monroe Co., New York
Rochester Daily Union and Advertiser
January 12, 1900
Lima--Word was received in the village last evening that George H. Landon had shot himself at his father's home, two miles west of the village. George Landon is the only child of Perry L. Landon, a young man about 25 years of age. For several hours he had acted a little peculiar and during the afternoon the family summoned the family physician, but did not consider the case alarming. The young man refused to leave his room during the day and about supper time the family heard the report of a gun. Hastening to the son's room they found him with a rifle in his hand, a wound in the temple, laying back on the bed and unconscious. Everything was done that could be suggested but death ensued at midnight.
Holley--The death of Mrs. Ellen D. Spurr occurred yesterday. Deceased was 75 years old and leaves besides her husband, Samuel Spurr, four children, William Spurr of Lewiston, Neb., R. S. Spurr and Mrs. Jennie L. Taylor of Holley and Mrs. Cornelia Kane of Binghamton. Funeral Sunday afternoon.
Elizabeth B. Payne, widow of Charles G. Payne died in this city on Friday morning, January 12, 1900. She leaves two sons, Frank W. and Ferdinand Payne of this city, and one daughter, Mrs. Margaret Gilbert of Rome, NY.
Funeral from the family residence, 134 Jefferson avenue, on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
Edward Hingst, the laborer who was injured by a cave-in in the canal bank near Court street bridge yesterday morning died of his injuries at the Homeopathic Hospital yesterday afternoon. Coroner Kleindienst was notified, and had the body taken to the morgue, where he held an inquest this morning.
He rendered a verdict of accidental death. Hingst and several companions were working on the wall at the bottom of the canal. They dug the earth away at the bottom, and though they were under the overhanging bank of earth several times, neglected to brace it, thinking it frozen so hard that it needed no support. It fell with hardly an instant's warning. Hingst's companions sprang back out of danger, but he was too far under the wall to escape. He was dug out as quickly as possible, and the Homeopathic Hospital ambulance took him to that Institution. His right leg was broken, a hip dislocated, and his skull fractured. He suffered great agony before he died. Hingst was a laborer and lived at No. 32 Cuba place. He leaves, besides his wife, two small children.
The funeral of Mrs. Patrick Coffee was held from the family residence in Parma at 9:30 o'clock this morning, and from the Church of Our Mother of Sorrows, Mt. Read, at 10 o'clock.
The funeral of Chester Asher Root was held from the family residence, No. 96 Glendale park, at 4 o'clock this afternoon. The remains were taken to York for interment.
Marie Cecilla Wolters, infant daughter of Charles Frederick and Bella Negus Wolters, died yesterday at the family residence, No. 45 Kenwood avenue, aged 10 months.
Marie Ellen McDonald, daughter of William H. and Ellen McDonald, died yesterday at St. Mary's Hospital, aged 4 years and 7 months.
The funeral of Mrs. Caroline Hartman was held from the family residence, No. 89 Campbell street, at 2 o'clock this afternoon.
Magdalen Mader, wife of John Mader, died last evening at the family residence, No. 1 Reist park, aged 35 years. Deceased is survived by her husband, three children, her parents, two sisters, Mrs. B. Thompson and Mrs. Anna Fell, and three brothers, John, Jacob and Christ Reinfeld.
Mary Uppel, wife of the late George Uppel, died this morning at the family residence, No. 5 Roth park, aged 49 years. The deceased is survived by four daughters, Mrs. A. Cramer of Toronto, Anna, Mary and Josephine Uppel, one brother, Frank Sours, one sister, Miss Lena Ruff and two grandchildren. The funeral will be held from the house at 8:30 o'clock on Friday morning and from St. Michael's Church at 9 o'clock.
At 5:40 o'clock yesterday afternoon an alarm from box 17, corner of Monroe avenue and South Union street, summoned the fire department to the residence of Henry H. Turner at 254 Monroe avenue. A curtain in one of the rooms of the house had become ignited by being blown against a lighted gas jet. The blaze was extinguished before the firemen arrived on the scene.