Search billions of records on

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Union & Advertiser
Dec 13, 1902
 “Many personal friends in Rochester [New York] will be pained to learn of the death of Charles M. SIMMONS, a former resident of this city. Mr. SIMMONS was stricken in his office at Maryville, Tenn., on Monday last. He was 81 years of age and had conducted a real estate and insurance business at Maryville for some years past. Mr. SIMMONS was hale and active and his mind was bright and clear to the last. He leaves a widow and one son.
    Mr. SIMMONS was actively interested in public affairs in this city during the middle period of the last century. He was chosen City Clerk in 1856, and held the office for some years. He was chosen to the position of Superintendent of Schools on his retirement from the clerkship and held that office until 1869. He was noted for his public spirit in both these positions. It is on record that the board of aldermen voted him at one time during his incumbency of office of City Clerk an increase in salary from $1,200 per year to $1,800 and that he refused the increase, saying that he did not earn any more than $1,200. Mr. SIMMONS left Rochester in 1869 and resided in New York for a number of years. He was then chosen School Superintendent again and returned to Rochester in 1875 to assume the duties of that office; held it for four years, when he removed to Knoxville, Tenn. He was chosen School Superintendent again in 1881 and returned here for a year. He then returned to Tennessee, and took up his residence in Maryville. Mr. SIMMONS was a most genial man and his kindly nature endeared him to a large circle of friends and acquaintances in this city. His mind was of the highest type and his learning was deep and thorough. The sympathy of his friends is extended to the widow and son.” 
Maryville Times, (Blount Co. TN) Saturday, December 13, 1902:

“A very sad death occurred in our little city Monday night. Mr. C.N. SIMMONS, one of Maryville’s prominent businessmen met death very suddenly.. He had been in his office all day working, and as he did not go home at the usual hour, his wife became alarmed and telephoned to the store of A.K. HARPER, and asked one of the clerks to step up to his office and see what was the matter. Mr. C.A. DAVIS ran up the steps and found him lying partly on the floor and partly on a lounge dead. It is supposed he took suddenly sick, and in attempting to get to the sofa, fell in the position he was found. He had evidently not been dead long as the body was still warm. Heart disease it is thought was the cause of his death. Mr. SIMMONS was in his 81st year, having been spared to a good old age. He was genial, sociable and well liked by everybody, an excellent businessman of considerable means. In his death Maryville loses one of her best citizens. A wife and son survive him. The remains were buried Thursday in Magnolia Cemetery. The family has the heart-felt sympathy of all in their sad bereavement.”

Rochester, Monroe, NY

Democrat & Chronicle
Thurs Dec 25, 1902
Remarkable Endurance of Methuselah
Pinned Under Car Trucks
In Wreckage Nearly an Hour and Losing Quarts of Blood,
Horse Enjoys His Oats as if Nothing Had Happened -- Jim Key's Opinion.
It is to be recorded of a horse of the name of Methuselah that he was driven head-on into a swiftly moving trolley car, was pinned under the trucks for nearly an hour, bled like a pig at killing time, shedding quarts of blood, and that when he was finally pulled from under the car he got to his feet and is at the present time munching his oats and hay quite as heartily as any other horse, and will undoubtedly enjoy his Christmas dinner as much as if the accident never happened.
     Walter J. ATTRIDGE, of No. 489 Monroe avenue, was driving Methuselah at the time of the accident. He turned west on University avenue from North Union street at 11 o'clock Tuesday morning, in a covered milk wagon. He says that he saw a car approaching him from downtown and that it was several hundred feet away and the motorman was applying the brakes. He gave the horse a slack rein, and being one of the breed that goes faster without a tight rein than with his head curbed, Methuselah started to trot. It is supposed that the motorman saw the animal quicken his gait and imagined that he was going to turn out, for ATTRIDGE claims that he stopped working the brakes and turned the power on. At any rate, Methuselah was just off the track when the car, No. 309, hit the forewheel of the wagon, stripping the rim from it.
     The fender ripped through the wheel and smashed the rig. ATTRIDGE jumped one way and Henry SCHAFER, a boy that was with him, leaped the other, but poor Methuselah was dragged under the trucks, and the wagon was wrecked. ATTRIDGE, it is said, was made unconscious by the force with which he struck the road, and the boy was well shaken up. When the crew of the car and the passengers turned to the horse they found him leaking blood from his nose and mouth in torrents.
     "I guess that horse is done for," remarked the conductor, and the motorman tacitly conceded the point. It was found impossible to drag his carcass from under the gear without jacks, and a wrecking crew was sent for. It was a good 45 minutes before the car was hoisted high enough to permit the withdrawal of the horse's body. In the meantime his owner had been carried home.
     In spite of the quarts of blood that Methuselah had lost he wiggled his legs slightly when he was hauled from under the car and a minute later nearly scared some of the bystanders into fits by rising to his feet.
     "Well, what do you think of that?" inquired more than one person who had seen him lying, as good as dead, beneath the car. A veterinary surgeon, Dr. C. H. COOK, of No. 52 Chestnut street, was sent for. It was reported that the horse was so badly hurt that he had to be shot by the doctor, but he was able to walk home with the surgeon. Dr. COOK gave him some stimulants to strengthen him and tone him up after the shock, and then examined him carefully. He found that no bones were broken, and that the injuries were entirely internal. Later he ascertained that the horse was suffering from a hemorrhage of the lungs, and he immediately placed him under treatment.
     A full meal of oats and hay was given to the animal Tuesday night, and yesterday morning he was able to take a short walk in the yard. Dr. COOK says that he will be able to get around the same as usual in a few days unless something unforeseen occurs. In the meantime his owner has retained Frederick L. DUTCHER as his lawyer to sue the street car company.
     A reporter interviewed Jim KEY yesterday afternoon, to ascertain his opinion as to the extraordinary endurance of his equine brother. Jim KEY is the trained horse that has been exhibiting in this city for several weeks, and he was asked by his trainer if he was not greatly surprised at the incidents which had befallen Methuselah. He nodded his head vigorously.
     "How long do you think you would live under such circumstances?" inquired Dr. KEY, and Jim pulled down a card with a big round zero on it.
     Mr. ROGERS, owner of Jim KEY, told the reporter something about the big horse he is now contracting for at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis in 1904. He is planning to build an immense horse, to be called the Trojan Horse, which will be about 150 feet in height. There will be an elevator in each leg, and in each eye will be a searchlight. In the body will be a theater in which Jim KEY will be the principal performer, and Mr. ROGERS's private offices will be in the tail. He says it will cost him between $100,000 and $150,000, and he will remove it to Coney Island after the St. Louis fair. It is to be something on the style of the immense elephant that was at Coney Island for so many years.
Haw Christmas is Observed in Churches of Newark
Christmas will be appropriately observed in Newark. In the evening a literary and musical programme will be rendered at the Reformed Church after which supper will be served to all and a Christmas tree will delight the children.
     A St. Marl's Church the Christmas festival will be observed, Christmas eve service having been held yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock, and to-day holy communion will take place at o'clock with choral eucharist at 11 o'clock. At the latter service a beautiful programme of music will be rendered by the choir, consisting of men, women and boys, assisted by an orchestra of string and wind instruments.
     The Baptist Sunday-school had its Christmas exercises last night in the Church parlors, consisting of a special programme of music and exercises by the children.
Marriage in Troy of Young Lady From Newark to Man From Pittsburg.
The marriage of Miss Mary RICHARDSON, a well-known young lady of Newark and Leslie Edward CAMPBELL, was solemnized in Troy Tuesday at high noon. The wedding was celebrated quietly in the manse of the Second Presbyterian Church with Rev. Dr. A. C. SEWELL officiating. The bride wore her traveling gown of dark blue cloth, and her maid of honor was her sister, Miss Alice RICHARDSON, of Newark.
     Mr. and Mrs. CAMPBELL will enjoy an extended honeymoon at Old Point Comfort, Atlantic City, and other coast resorts, after which they will be at home in "The Gainsboro" at Fifth avenue and Mount Morris Park south, New York city. Miss RICHARDSON was one of Newark's most popular young ladies, and the groom was a native of Pittsburg and a graduate of the Rochester Business University. He now holds the responsible position of secretary of the Central Stamping Company.
Yesterday afternoon two of Le Roy's young people were united in marriage. The bride is Miss Julia BROWN, daughter of Mrs. Hannah BROWN, and the groom is Elmer CLARK, also of Le Roy. The couple drove to Bergen to the home of Rev. Seth COOK, formerly pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Le Roy, by whom the ceremony was performed.
Word has been received in Le Roy of the death of Rev. John W. H. WEIBLE, which occurred at Riverhead on December 17th. Mr. WEIBLE was for four years rector of St. Mark's Church in Le Roy.
Death of Anne Garbutt, of Garbutt, in Home of Her Birth
The death of Miss Anne GARBUTT, an old and highly esteemed resident of Garbutt, occurred at her home in that village early Tuesday morning, aged 74 years. Miss GARBUTT had been in failing health for some time.
    She died in the house she was born in the village of Garbutt, having been named after her father. She is survived by one brother, John W. GARBUTT, with whom she resided.
Dry House and Stock Owned By George Filkins Damaged -- Loss $500
At 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon an alarm of fire called out the Fairport Fire Department to the dry house of George S. FILKINS, which is located on Filkin street. The firemen were soon at the scene. The rear of the building was a mass of flames. Three streams of water were turned upon the building, the firemen succeeding in saving the front portion.
     The fire is supposed to have started from an overheated furnace. There was considerable stock in the evaporator, which is a total loss. The loss on the building and stock will amount to about $500, with no insurance.
Webster Man and Rochester Girl United by Rev. Charles H. Moss
Miss Mabel R. BROWER, of Rochester, and Foster J. BURNETT of Webster, were married at noon Tuesday at the home of the bride's parents, No. 73 Marshall street. Rev. Charles MOSS, of the Park Avenue Baptist Church, performed the ceremony. The maid of honor was the bride's sister, Miss Ethel L. BROWER, and the brides-maid was her cousin, Miss Edna B. BROWER, of Pittsford. Howard GARDENIER, of Albany, was best man. After a visit in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, r. and Mrs. BURNETT will be at home February 1st. Alfred J. LEGGETT, of Rochester, furnished music, playing the "Lohengrin" wedding march as the couple entered the parlors.
     The bride was dressed in Persian lawn, with satin and lace trimming and carried cream roses. The maid of honor was dressed in blue mousseline de sole and the bridesmaid wore white Indian mull with blue trimmings. The two last carried pink and white carnations.
Robert SMITH and Mrs. Mildred McNAMEE, both of this city, were married last evening by Rev. G. B. F. HALLOCK, D. D., assistant pastor of Brick Church. Mary KAHLEMANN was bridesmaid and E. C. KAHLEMANN best man. After a short wedding trip the bride and groom will be at home at No. 553 Orchard street. They are members of Brick Church.
Earl Raymond Learned BURPEE and Miss Minnie BE VLIEGER were married yesterday afternoon by Rev. George C. FROST, pastor of Calvary Presbyterian Church, at his home, No. 829 South avenue.
HART - In this city, Wednesday morning, at 5 o'clock, December 24, 1902, Frank HART, aged 50 years. The deceased is survived by his wife.
-Funeral to take place Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
COMBS - At his home in North Greece, Tuesday, December 23, 1902, of heart failure, Lewis COMBS, aged 78 years. He leaves a wife and two sons, Lewis A., of Rochester, and Jerome A., of North Greece.
-Funeral services to be held at his late residence, Friday, December 26th, at 1 P. M.
McELHENY - In this city, Wednesday, December 24, 1902, at the family residence, No. 31 Emerson street, Jennie C., wife of F. G. McELHENY, aged 41 years.
WOOD - In this city, Wednesday, December 24, 1902, Harold, son of Charles and Annie WOOD, aged 14 years.
-Funeral from the family residence, No. 14 Fair place, Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial private.
Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Fri Dec 26, 1902
Terrible Experience of Mr. Wadhams and Wife
Escape Was Miraculous
Couple Had Occupied Bed for Years Without Accident,
But This Time Catch Was Overlooked and Bed Closed in on Them.
"I will cheerfully perform the duties of the office, if I live through the year," said N. E. G. WADHAMS, of Niagara Falls, recently, in accepting for the nineteenth consecutive time the office of treasurer in a lodge to which be belongs. "But," continued he, "I have had so many narrow escapes of late that I don't know what will come next."
     It was known that Mr. WADHAMS had had a slight stroke of apoplexy, which recently enfeebled him, but inquiry was necessary to bring to light one of the most remarkable escape from suffocation in the deadly folding bed. The thrilling story related by Mr. WADHAMS pictures both himself and wife close to death, while a great wardrobe folding bed pressed in eager desire, apparently, to rob the aged couple of their lives.
     Mr. WADHAMS is a deputy collector of customs, and a man past three score and ten. He is likely by all who know him, as is also his wife. The accident occurred Monday night last at their home, No. 906 Grove avenue, as Mr. and Mrs. WADHAMS were about to retire. For years the couple has occupied an expensive folding bed without accident or apprehension that some day it might squeeze them into eternity. On the night in question, Mr. WADHAMS was the first to retire. He was followed soon after by Mrs. WADHAMS. No sooner had she struck the bed then the great heavy top closed down upon them. Before they could move they were made prisoners, and it seemed as though there could be no escape.
     The folding bed is operated by a 200-pound weight, sufficient to hold, them tight and fast, the bed having closed on them like a knife. Both used their voices with all their force, but every effort brought them closer to death. For fully 15 or 20 minutes they called, in a desperate effort to arouse their sleeping son in his room but a few feet away. The bedding so muffled all sounds that the noise they made did not reach beyond the room. Both pressed upward with all their might, but the deadly bed held them fast in a grasp that was horrifying.
    "If help doesn't reach us soon, we'll go together, father," said Mrs. WADHAMS, the words actuated Mr. WADHAMS to a supreme effort. Mr. WADHAMS succeeded in moving toward the foot of the bed. There he bent his back upward, throwing all the strength of his declining years into the effort, knowing that the lives of himself and wife depended on it. For the first time the top of the bed raised a little. Encouraged Mr. WADHAMS pressed harder and harder until he felt his wrists would break. Enfeebled by his recent illness the strain was terrific, but the awful predicament lent him strength. Harder and harder, Mr. WADHAM pressed little by little, the top yielded, until Mrs. WADHAMS said, "Oh, father, if you can raise it just a little bit higher, I can get out."
    It seemed to Mr. WADHAMS that he could not raise the weight another inch. He made a last superhuman effort. In another instant Mrs. WADHAMS was released. Half dead, she gave the alarm to her son, and then rushed to the aid of her husband. In all the years the bed had been in use, that night was the first time the catch had been overlooked, and the bed closed on them as described.
At the home of the bride in Marion, on Christmas Day occurred the marriage of Miss Armeda WARNER and Isaac GOOSSEN. Only near relatives were present. After a short trip East the couple will be at home in Marion. Rev. W. B. McNIVEN performed the ceremony.
Christmas Day Miss Cora Belle ABORN and Byron D. WAGER were married at the home of the bride's father, E. F. ABORN, at Ontario.
Head-on Collision Between Two Freight Engines at Spencerport Delayed Traffic.
A wreck occurred on Christmas Day at Spencerport, on the Falls branch of the New York Central. At 8 o'clock in the morning, while a light snow was falling, an extra" freight train stopped at Spencerport to shift some cars of produce lying near the station, on one of the side tracks. As the engine of the "extra," east bound, passed off the switch on to the west bound track, for some reason yet unknown, the semaphore arm was not out and a through freight, coming up from Rochester, also on the west bound track, struck the engine of the "extra" in a head-on collision.
    The shock of the collision threw the east bound engine back and into the cars of its train standing behind it, demolished several cars and derailing others. Both engines were badly broken up, but one of them was still left in a running condition. The boiler of the east bound engine was stove in and rendered useless. 
     Cars were left blocking the side tracks, and the west bound track was completely blocked. All passenger trains entering Rochester were about an hour behind their schedule time.
     The through freight had slowed down somewhat upon reaching Spencerport for the purpose of letting off a brakeman who wished to spend Christmas Day with his family. Had it not been for the fortunate circumstance the lives of the crews on both engines would undoubtedly have been sacrificed as the west bound freight ordinarily passes the Spencerport station at a high rate of speed. No signals were displayed as a warning, and no flag was sent out to stop the west bound train. The crews escaped with a severe shaking up.
Commissioners Served on Board of Education in Penn Yan 27 and 24 Years.
On January 1, 1903, the terms of John S. SHEPPARD and George R. CORNWELL, as members of the Board of Education of Penn Yan, will expire.
     Mr. CORNWELL has served continuously for twenty-seven years, and Mr. SHEPPARD for twenty-four years.
The postoffice at Bluff Point is now located at the wagon shop of Elmer NICKERSON at that place. He is ably assisted in his duties as postmaster by his wife, and Miss Hattie PHILLIPS. The revenue from the office at Bluff Point is from $350 to $400 per annum. One rural free delivery route starts from that postoffice.
Two Deaths Reported From Canandaigua -
Marshall Washburn and Henry Freer
Marshall WASHBURN, a well known and popular young man, aged about 24 years, who had his hand crushed and mangled while using a corn sheller at the farm of Russel HENRY in Reed's Corners on Friday, December 12th, died at the Benhan Hospital in Canandaigua yesterday afternoon from the effects of the injury.
Word came to Canandaigua yesterday afternoon of the death near Academy in the town of Canandaigua of Henry FREER, a well known farmer of the west lake shore, aged about 84 years. He is survived by a widow and two sons, Charles and Hiram FREER, both of Canandaigua.
Two Couples Married Christmas Eve
Cohocton in Presbyterian Parsonage
Harry CROUCH of Cohocton, and Miss Mary PIERCE were married Wednesday at the Presbyterian Church parsonage by the pastor. Rev. J. Forbes ROBINSON, at 5 o'clock. A bountiful dinner was served at the residence of the bride's uncle, William H. CLARK.
Frederick EDMONDS of Cohocton and Miss Edith GEHRIG, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George GEHRIG, of Cohocton were married Wednesday evening, at the Presbyterian parsonage, Cohocton, by the pastor, Rev. J. Forbes ROBINDON.
Mrs. Louisa SPIEKERMANN - Widow of the late Theo SPIEKERMANN, died last evening at the family residence, No. 326 South avenue.
-Notice of funeral hereafter.
Buffalo Physician Marries Rochester Girl and Will Live in This City
Miss Laura Cordella SCHUMAKER was married to Dr. Paul Otto LUEDEKE, of Buffalo, at the home of the bride, No. 29 Wilson street, at 7 o'clock Wednesday night. The parlors were decorated with Christmas wreaths of holly and smilax, and the wedding was one of the prettiest home weddings in Rochester this year.
    The bride was dressed in white crepe de chine and lace and carried white chrysanthemums. The bridesmaids, Miss Ella BEMISH and Miss Adele JENNINGS, wore white india mull. The bridegroom was attended by Dr. George DAVIS and Dr. T. BENJAMIN, of Rochester. A supper was served to twenty-five guests, among them Mr. and Mrs. Charles HOF, of Buffalo; J. PIERCE, of Buffalo; Albert GUBELMAN, of Yale University; Mr. and Mrs. KOMER, of Palmyra; Rev. Mr. CRAIG and Mrs. CRAIG, of Paterson, N. J. Dr. and Mrs. LUEDEKE will be at home at No. 29 Wilson street after January 15th.
     Miss SCHUMAKER was formerly a teacher in the Rochester schools and is an accomplished musician. Dr. LUEDEKE is known in Buffalo as a popular surgeon. He is an accomplished linguist, and was formerly on the staff of the German Hospital, of Buffalo. Many friends in this city welcome his removal here.
Miss Leah KOVELESKI, of Rochester, and George FINKLESTEIN, of New York, were married Wednesday night at 6 o'clock at the Rhine Street Synagogue, by Rev. Mr. GINSBERG and Rev. Mr. KAPLAN. The maid of honor was Miss Bessie KOVELSKI, and the bridesmaids were Miss Bessie FINKLESTEIN, of New York; Miss Dora SCHOENMAN and Miss Bessie BERLOVE, of Rochester. The groomsmen were Eli KOVELSKI, David KOVELSKI and Joseph KOVELSKI. Many guests from New York and other cities witnessed the ceremony. Mr. FINKLESTEIN is known to a wide circle of friends in Rochester.
Clifford J. STOTHERS, formerly of Rochester, was married Tuesday to Miss Clara E. WESTON, at Perth, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. STROTHERS will live in Du Bois, Pa.
Mistake May Cost Mrs. Bedwin Her Life - At St. Mary's Hospital
Mrs. BEDWIN, of No. 103 Exchange street, took a dose of oil of mustard by mistake at noon yesterday, and as a result is dangerously sick at St. Mary's Hospital, with the chances against recovery. Oil of mustard is an emetic, but Mrs. BEDWIN retained it on her stomach and on this account the physicians at the hospital fear she may not recover.
     Mr. BEDWIN is troubled with rheumatism and took home a bottle of oil of mustard for his own use. He placed the bottle on a stand in the bedroom beside a bottle of medicine which had been left for his wife by Dr. BRADY, of No. 373 Plymouth avenue. At noon yesterday Mrs. BEDWIN reached over to the stand from the bed and took a dose from the wrong bottle.
     The mistake was discovered at once and Mrs. BEDWIN was hurried to St. Mary's Hospital. It was stated last night that there had been slight improvement in her condition. She is 45 years old.
A double wedding took place in St. John's Catholic Church at Clyde yesterday morning when Miss Ella SULLIVAN, of Clyde, was married to T. J. CORDON, of Clyde, and Miss Anna SULLIVAN, of Rochester, was married to Mark McARDLE, of Gananoque, Ont. Rev. Father GLEASON performed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. CORDON will live in Buffalo and Mr. and Mrs. McARDLE will live in Gananoque.
A representation of Santa Claus's home will be the feature of an entertainment in the Second Baptist Church to-night. A Christmas tree will also be a feature and Santa Claus will be started on his trip around the world before the gifts are distributed. The programme is to begin at 7:45 o'clock.
KOHLMEYER - In this city, Thursday morning, December 25, 1902, at the family residence, No. 9 Lorenzo street, Joseph J. KOHLMEYER, aged 31 years and 3 months. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary KOHLMEYER, and three children, his mother, Mrs. Margaret, three sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth SAUDER, Rose and Minnie KOHLMEYER, and four brothers, Henry, William, Francis and George KOHLMEYER.
-Funeral Saturday morning, 8:30 from the house, and 9 o'clock at Holy Family Church. 
WAGNER - In this city, Thursday morning, December 25, 1902, at her home, at corner Jay and Grape streets, Barbara, wife of the late Joseph WAGNER, aged 86 years. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Agnes MANSING, and one son, John WAGNER, all of this city.
-Funeral Saturday morning, 8:30 from the house and 9 o'clock at SS. Peter and Paul's Church. Interment at Holy Family cemetery. 
BACKUS - In this city, at his late residence, No. 97 South Fitzhugh street, James M. BACKUS, in his 68th year.
-Funeral Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. 
McELHENY - In this city, Wednesday, December 24, 1902, at the family residence, No. 31 Emerson street, Jennie C., wife of F. G. McELHENY, aged 41 years.
-Funeral from the family residence this (Friday) afternoon at 1 o'clock. Interment at McGrawville, N. Y.
Eleven Witnesses In Smith Case Have Died Since His First Trial.
Prosecution Loses Eight and Defense is Weaker by Three -
Several Are Missing and One is in the Philippine Islands.
Of seventy-three witnesses for the prosecution in the case of the People against George A. SMITH, once convinced of killing his wife and about to be tried again, eight are known to be dead, and of the thirty-nine who testified for the defense three are no longer living. The tragedy happened in November, 1897, at Churchville, and during the five years that have passed since then most of the witnesses have been widely scattered. One of them is in the Philippines.
     Those dead on the prosecution's roll are James DENNIS, a Churchville constable who gave damaging evidence as to SMITH's whereabouts at different times and his behavior after arrest; George DENNIS, his son; Dr. M. W. TOWNSEND, who attended Mrs. SMITH at the time of the tragedy, much of whose testimony has been cut out by the Court of Appeals; Frank GWYNNE, a butcher who drove past the house about the time that SMITH said robbers entered it, and said that he saw no suspicious signs; Ira RANDALL, a Churchville banker and notary public before whom several papers connected with the case were executed; James McCULLOCH, the Rochester gunsmith of whom experts purchased bullets in connection with the prosecution, whose testimony has also been eliminated; James HOWARD and Henry J. SNYDER, who built the house in which the murder was committed, whose testimony was designed to show that SMITH could not have had as much money as he claims was stolen from him.
     Besides these Henry BANGS has not been found. He is said to be in Pittsburg, and Gustavus SELLS is believed to be working as a fireman on a train running in and out of Buffalo. Mrs. NEW, the nurse who discovered Mrs. SMITH in a dying condition, and SMITH tied to a table, has also disappeared, but it is believed that she is in Brockport. Elwood BUGBEE, who was driving past the house at about the time the robbers are claimed to have broken in and says he saw nothing suspicious, is in the Philippines, fighting Gugus, and will not be present at the trial.
     Louis E. FULLER is working hard on the defense. He has lost three of his witnesses, which will handicap him materially, but his greatest handicap is in taking up the case for the first time on six weeks' notice. The printed minutes of the trial, which occupied seven weeks, are several feet thick, and he must master all of this evidence and try two cases at once, the one at bar and the previous trial. SMITH is penniless, which makes it difficult to search the vicinity for witnesses, and the time left for the preparation of the case is very brief, as it is set down for trial on January 20th.
     Mr. FULLER will not ask for a postponement, and District-Attorney WARREN says that he will not. It is expected that the case will proceed rapidly when it is commenced, and it may run no longer than three weeks.
     SMITH spent Christmas in good spirits, and he is confident of an acquittal. He is 68 years old and has spent four years in a condemned cell at Auburn, but his spirits are not shattered, and if he is set free he will undoubtedly be able to enjoy life for many years.

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Sat Dec 27, 1902
Mrs. Mary WATTEL, widow of John T. WATTEL, died yesterday morning at her residence, No. 71 Romeyn street, aged 89 years. Deceased was one of the oldest members of SS. Peter and Paul's Church and one of the pioneer residents of Rochester, having lived here over seventy years. She is survived by seven daughters, Mrs. MILLER, Mrs. F. GRIEBEL, Mrs. Gus GRIEBEL, Mrs. John BURGARD, Mrs. Henry COULMAN and Miss Rose WATTEL, of this city, and Mrs. WEILAND, of Greece; also by one son, Valentine WATTEL, thirty-three grandchildren and forty-six great-grandchildren.
Louise SPIEKERMANN, widow of the late Theo. SPIEKERMANN, died Thursday night at the family residence, No. 326 South avenue. She is survived by her father, John SCHEFFEL; two children, Mary and Charles SPIEKERMANN, and three brothers, William and Joseph, of this city, and Henry SCHEFFEL, of Auburn, N. Y.
Christina Dorothea LUCHSINGER, wife of Adam LUCHSINGER, died last night at the family residence, No. 216 Reynolds street, aged 80 years. She is survived by one brother, Bernard LEMPERT, and one sister, Mrs. Barbara ROTH.
Miss Catherine COUGHLIN died yesterday morning at the home of her sister, Mrs. F. W. KEMPAL, of No. 2 Lawson street.
Bridget CASEY, wife of Michael CASEY, died yesterday morning at the family residence, No. 41 Child street, aged 33 years.
Bertha E. PIKE WHITNEY, wife of Frederick A. WHITNEY, died yesterday afternoon at the City Hospital, aged 24 years.
Ex-Senator Miller Thinks Government Should Pay for State Waterway.
New York, Dec. 26 - Former United States Senator Warner MILLER has addressed a letter to Governor ODELL against the construction of the 1,000-ton barge canal in the place of the Erie canal. He believes the Federal government should build it.
     "The great bulk of the present tonnage of the canal," he says, "originated outside of the state and goes outside of the state. It is interstate commerce in the broadest sense, and should be provided for by the federal government.
     He says the complaint of the Western farmers has depreciated the value of state farms and the owners would not be able to pay the tax that a $100,000,000 canal would impose.
London, Dec. 26 - Two American women proved to be the stars of the Drury Lane Christmas pantomime "Mother Goose" to-night. Marie GEORGE as Gretchen, Mother Goose's servant, captured the house, and won the only encore of the night, while Madge LESSING, in the principal girl part, also made a hit with several catchy topical songs. With thirteen scenes and a transformation, the performance lasted from 7:30 P. M. until 1:30 in the morning. It was the first Drury Lane pantomime in which American women were engaged in star roles.
Death at Niagara Falls of Hans Nielson, Prominent Resident and Mason.
Hans NIELSON, one of the oldest, most prominent and esteemed residents of Niagara Falls died at his home on Jefferson avenue Thursday afternoon, following a brief illness. He was born in Velie, Denmark, October 16th, 1821. In the history of that country his family was prominent for generations. His education was obtained in his native country, and after leaving school he learned the trade of a tobacco manufacturer. In the middle of the last century he left Europe and came to America and Niagara Falls.
     In 1873 he was made president and manager of the Prospect Park Company, and he still held these offices when the state of New York bought the park property and opened the state reservation July 15, 1885. In this office he became interested in the entertainment of the tourists to Niagara, and did much for their pleasure. For years he has been president of the Maid of the Mist Steamboat Company, and was also largely interested in other profitable enterprises. He was vice-president of the Power City Bank, and a director in the Niagara County Savings Bank. For years he was on the Board of Education. He was a mason, and a trustee of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132 F. and A. M., also a member of Genesee Commandery, Knight Templars of Lockport. He was married on September 18, 1857, to Louisa KRULL, a native of Mecklenburg, Germany, who with three sons, Herman, George S., and Charles, survive him.
The mysterious death of Dante McCARTHY, which occurred at Gasport on or before October 3d last, as reported at the time in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, is being investigated by the dead man's brother, "Betty" McCARTHY a member of the Oswego police force. The brother of the deceased has retained Robert H. GITTINS to look into the matter, and the lawyer was in Lockport yesterday investigating the circumstances attending the death. He will go to Gasport and prosecute his inquiries further.
Two wheels of a heavy coal wagon passed over Alfred GASSER, of No. 3 Clairmount street, when he was thrown off the wagon seat yesterday afternoon at North and Hudson avenues. He was removed to the Homeopathic Hospital in an unconscious condition. Though seriously injured he will probably recover. He was driving a wagon for the Clark & Fladd Coal Company.
Papers on appeal have been filed in the Appellate Division in the case of William G. S. SISSON against George J. IRISH, brought to recover pay for a cabbage transplanter sold to the defendant. IRISH says that the machine failed to do its work properly. The appeal is from the denial of a motion for the removal of the action from Lyons to Rochester.
Four lots on the Bowen tract, two on Avon place and two on Laburnum crescent, were sold for city taxes yesterday by A. L. SHEPARD, as referee. The Laburnum crescent lots were purchased by W. L. BISHOP for the amount of taxes, $320, and the two lots on Avon place were bid in by the city for $150.
Complaints that gambling was going on at "Puzzle" Cohen's pool room, corner of Kelly and Chatham streets, having been made to the Fourth precinct, officers made an investigation Thursday night, but found nothing to verify the report. No arrests were made.
SAGE - HAWLEY - At the home of the bride's parents in Buffalo, Tuesday, December 23, 1902, by Rev. O. P. GIFFORD, D. D., Marie Rogers HAWLEY and George Burrows SAGE, of this city.
BACKUS - In this city, at his late residence, No. 97 South Fitzhugh street, James M. BACKUS, in his 68th year.
-Funeral Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
SNYDER - At Pittsford, Friday morning, December 26, 1902, Ellen SNYDER, wife of George SNYDER, aged 54 years.
-The funeral will be held on Sunday at 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the family residence in the village of Pittsford.
COUGHLIN - In this city, Friday, December 26, 1902, 11 A. M., at the home of her sister, Mrs. F. W. KIMPAL, No. 2 Lawton street, Miss Catherine COUGHLIN.
-Funeral Monday, 9 A. M., St. Mary's Church.
CASEY - In this city, Friday morning, December 26, 1902, at the family residence, No. 41 Child street, Bridget, wife of Michael CASEY, aged 33 years.
-Funeral on Monday morning at 8:30 from house, 9 o'clock St. Patrick's Chapel.
WHITNEY - In this city, Friday afternoon, December 26, 1902, at the City Hospital, Bertha E. PIKE, wife of Frederick A. WHITNEY, aged 24 years.
-Notice of funeral hereafter.
SPIEKERMANN - In this city, Thursday evening, December 25, 1902, at the family residence, No. 326 South avenue, Mrs. Louisa SPIEKERMANN, widow of the late Theo. SPIEKERMANN. She is survived by two children, Miss Mary and Charles SPIEKERMANN, and father, John SCHEFFEL, and three brothers, William and Joseph, of Rochester, N. Y., Henry of Auburn, N. Y.
-Funeral from home Monday, 8:30 A. M., December 29th, and from St. Boniface Church 9 A. M. Interment at Holy Sepulchre cemetery.
Rochester, Monroe, NY
Rochester Evening Times
Sat Dec 27, 1902
Mrs. Mary Wattel, Who Died Yesterday at the Age of 89, Left 10 Children,
31 Grandchildren and 30 Great-Grandchildren.
In the death of Mrs. Mary WATTELL of 71 Romeyn Street, at the age of 89 years, yesterday morning, Rochester loses one of its oldest citizens. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9 o'clock from SS. Peter and Paul's Roman Catholic Church. Interment will be at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
     Mrs. WATTLE was born in 1813 in Baden, Germany and came to this country when she was 18 years of age, settling on a farm in Irondequoit. When she was 20 years of age she married John T. WATTLE, who has now been dead about 45 years. Forty-seven years ago Mr. WATTEL purchased several lots on Romeyn Street and there Mrs. WATTEL has resided for nearly 50(?) years.
     Mrs. WATTEL leaves a large family of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. There were originally 10 children, 31 grandchildren and 30 great-grandchildren. Mrs. WATTEL's children now living are Mrs. Catherine MILLER, Mrs. Mary WEILAND of Greece, Valentine WATTEL of Moran Street, Mrs. Caroline GRIEBEL of Portland Avenue, Mrs. Barbara GRIEBEL of 191 University Avenue, Mrs. Elixabeth COULMAN, Mrs. Sophia BURGARD and Miss Rose WATTEL of 71 Romeyn Street, William WATTEL, a son, and Magdaline WEIS, a daughter died.
                                                    HER CHILDREN'S CHILDREN
     Mrs. Catherine MILLER, daughter of the deceased, has five children, Anthony, Julia, August, Fred and Bertha, of these Anthony has four children, Anthony, Jr., William, Edward and Cora, who are great-grandchildren of Mrs. WATTEL. Mrs. Julia EPPING of Adams Street, a daughter of Mrs. MILLER, has five children, Ida, Florence, Agnes, Raymond and Paul, also great-grandchildren of Mrs. WATTEL. August MILLER has two children, Ida and Marguerite.
     Fred MILLER has two children, Genevieve and May, and Bertha is unmarried.
     William WATTEL, the dead son, had three children, Libbie, Josephine and Frances, of these Libbie, who is now Mrs. WATT, has one infant child, as yet unmarried.
     Mrs. Mary WEILAND, another daughter, has nine children; Mrs. Magdaline BEYER, Joseph, George, William, Edward, Emma, August, Mary and Della. Joseph and Emma are married, having three and two children respectively.
     Mrs. Magdaline WEIS, who is dead, left four children; Laura Pierce, George, Edward and Linda. Mrs. PIERCE has one child, Lois.
     Mrs. Caroline GRIEBEL has three children, Mrs. Emma WHITHOUSE, Mrs. Carrie SMYTHE and Frank. Mrs. WHITEHOUSE has two children, William and Leon(?). Mrs. SMYTHE one, Paul and Frank four each.
     Valentine WATTEL, son of the deceased, has four children, Charles, Lottie, Maud and Elsie, the first of whom has two children, Norbid and an unnamed babe.
     Mrs. Barbara GRIEBEL has one daughter, Mrs. Hattie HEBING, who has one child, Harold.
     Mrs. Sophia BURGARD has one son, Edward.
     Mrs. Elizabeth COULMAN has one child, Hilda.
                                                      PROGENITOR OF A LARGE FAMILY
     From the foregoing it will be seen that Mrs. WATTEL was the progenitor of a very large and healthy family tree. Despite her advanced years, Mrs. WATTEL enjoyed the best of health up to within two weeks of her death, when she took to her bed from feebleness. She saw and conversed with her neighbors and friends even then and her remarkably bright mind was never more active than during her last hours.
     During her lifetime Mrs. WATTEL saw remarkable changes in Rochester and vicinity. When she first came to this vicinity and lived on a farm, the city was little more than a village. Mrs. WATTEL on many occasions has told some very interesting experiences of her early life, which gave her auditors a good insight into the conditions at the time when she first came to Rochester.
     The whole family is rarely all together and its members see each other but rarely. Many live at some distance from Rochester but all are within New York State.

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Sun Dec 28, 1902
Believed To Be Due To Despondency
The Father Of Fourteen
Haun Made Repeated Threats to Commit Suicide and Yesterday
Afternoon Carried Them Out in a Barn of Otto Albrecht.
Henry J. HAUN, 71 years old, of No. 366 Lyell avenue, hung himself in a barn at that number yesterday afternoon, despondency evidently being the cause. He had made threats on several previous occasions, of ending his life, and when he told others of that intention yesterday, little was thought of it.
      HAUN was employed by Otto ALBRECHT, a baker at No. 366 Lyell avenue. Baker ALBRECHT had given HAUN notice that his services were no longer required and that he could seek another place. The old man became despondent, perhaps as he thought of having no place to work, and began to talk of ending his troubles in death.
      About 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon a member of the ALBRECHT family went to the barn and was horrified to discover the body of HAUN hanging by a clothes line from a spike in the side of the building. The feet were on the floor. HAUN had mounted a soap box, tied the rope about his neck, then to the spike, which he had first driven, and kicked the box away from him. He sank down and his feet rested on the floor.
     It seems that he could have saved himself had he become frightened after the first spasm. But his careful preparations indicated his determination to die and he allowed his weight to draw the fatal noose tight until he strangled.
     The one who made the discovery promptly notified the household and a physician was called who pronounced HAUN dead. Coroner KLEINDIENST was then summoned and had the body removed to the morgue. He will investigate the case further to-day.
     HAUN is said to have fourteen children residing in this city, but he would not go to any of them in his old age and infirmity. He had been employed at the ALBRECHT bakery for many years and was well known to most old residents of Lyell avenue and his neighborhood.
     It is not known when HAUN committed his suicidal act, but it was thought he had been dead several hours when found. His duties took him all over the place and his absence was unnoticed for some time. Then it was thought strange and a search was begun for him, with the result described.
Champion Sprinter Failed to Qualify in the Sixty-Yard Dash
New York, Dec. 27 - At Madison Square Garden to-night the Greater New York Irish Athletic Association held an indoor athletic meeting. The principal event was a four-mile intercity team relay race. Three teams representing Philadelphia, New York and Long Island City were the competitors. The New York men were easy winners. The local members of the New York Athletic Club finished first by about 150 yards, with the Philadelphia team second.
     The other feature of the evening was the appearance of Arthur F. DUFFEY, of Georgetown University, the world's champion sprinter, who failed to qualify from scratch in his trial heat of sixty yards handicap run. The runner then gave an exhibition run of sixty yards, but only covered the distance in 6 3/5 seconds, which is one-fifth of a second behind his own record. E. CARR, of the Xavier A. A., of this city, won the three-mile scratch race, in which A. C. BOWEN, of the University of Pennsylvania, was second, and John JOYCE, Pastime A. C., third.
Rochester Lad Will Tackle the Maryland Champion at Brockport New Year's Afternoon.
Brockport, N. Y., Dec 27 - A wrestling contest is to be held at Ward's Opera House on New Year's afternoon between Max RUSSER, of Rochester, and Henry MILLER, of Baltimore. RUSSER is one of the best lightweight wrestlers in this section of the state, and has stayed twenty-five minutes against Max WILEY. He has often signified his willingness to meet the champion in a handicap match. MILLER, who is to meet him, is a stranger in these parts. He comes from Baltimore, where he has won the title of lightweight champion of Maryland. The showing made by RUSSER recently at Rochester, when he won from "Kid" HERRICK, leads many to think that he will be able to do better than hold his own against the fast Baltimorean. RUSSER has never lost a match except to Max WILEY, and that was some time ago. He has improved since then, and is confident of being able to get away with the Maryland chap.
     MILLER seems anxious to get after some of the lightweights hereabouts, and has wanted a match with WILEY, but as nothing is in sight and, as he is a stranger to local followers of the game, he was anxious to get on with some good man to show what he could do on the mat.
     Two good preliminaries are advertised. One between "Young PARR" and "Young JENKINS," who are two fairly good wrestlers from Rochester, who have adopted the professional names of great heavy-weights for their names on the mat. <snip> didn't get the rest.
For Murder of Prominent Young Farmer
Both Confessed
But Each Accused the Other of the Shooting
Taken From Constable
The Two Negroes Resented Being Reprimanded for Quarreling and Shot W. K. Jay Near Greenwood, S. C. -- Neighbors Pursued Murderers and Took Prompt Revenge.
Greenwood, S. C., Dec. 27 - W. J. KAY, a prominent young farmer of the Troy section of this county, was murdered yesterday in his own yard by a negro, Oliver WIDEMAN, or his wife, both of whom lived on the place. The two negroes were lynched by JAY's infuriated neighbors.
     Mr. JAY, on returning home in the afternoon, heard WIDEMAN abusing his (WIDEMAN's ) wife. He went to the cabin and ordered the negroes to be quiet. Immediately afterwards Mrs. JAY heard the report of a gun and saw the two negroes running away. Searching for her husband, she found him dead in the yard. He had been shot.
     The alarm was given and parties were soon in pursuit of the negroes. They were captured and, being brought before the coroner, they confessed, but the man said the woman did it, and the woman accused the man.
     While in the custody of a constable on the way to jail they were stopped by a mob and lynched.
     Mr. JAY was a prominent Mason, being an officer of the grand lodge of South Carolina.
Women Attempt to Leap from Windows in Alleged Pool Room
New York, Dec. 27 - Fifteen panic stricken women, some of them with diamonds glistening on their fingers and from their ears, attempted to leap from windows at No. 264 West Twenty-fifth street, an alleged pool room, when Captain COTTRELL and Detectives FOLEY, KEOGH, O'DONNELL and COLLINS, of the West Twentieth street station, raided the place to-day. Evidence against the supposed pool room, the Captain says, was obtained by women detectives, who placed bets with marked bills. Two brothers, Edward KENNEDY and Arthur KENNEDY, of No. 120 Pearl street, were arrested.
     When the police entered the room, which is on the ground floor, some one cried out:
     "The police! Jump, quickly."
     Instantly there was the wildest confusion. Women shrieked, and ran wildly about, many trying to leap from windows. They were prevented from doing so by the detectives. When all of the women and two men had been corralled, Captain COTTRELL told them that he only wanted the men.
     Captain COTTRELL says that when Edward KENNEDY was searching the bills he had marked and given to the women detectives to bet with were found upon him. He says that Edward also had some miniature racing cards in his possession. The Captain says he has been informed that the prisoner's mother, who is 60 years old, was sent out by them to solicit customers.
GLOVER - MARSH - Christmas eve, December 24, 1902, by the Rev. Robert COLYER, of the Church of the Messiah, New York, Harry GLOVER and Miss Elizabeth BROOKS MARSH, both of Rochester.
LAING - In this city, Saturday, December 27, 1902, at her residence, No. 30 Rundel park, Miss Mary A. LAING, aged 88 years.
-The funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, December 29, 1902, at 2 o'clock, from the house.
PATTON - At her home in Markham, Canada, Thursday, December 25, 1902, Mary PATON, mother of Walter G. PATTON, of this city. 
WHITNEY - In this city, Friday afternoon, December 26, 1902, at the City Hospital, Bertha E. PIKE, aged 24 years, wife of Frederick A. WHITNEY.
-Funeral from the residence, No. 482 Plymouth avenue, Monday afternoon at 2:30. Friends of the family invited to attend. Burial private. 
DOSER - In this city, Saturday, December 27, 1902 at the family residence, No. 74 Henrietta street, Oilvene Carrie, only child of Joseph and Belle DOSER, aged 6 months and 3 weeks. 
DOWNS - In this city, Saturday afternoon, December 27, 1902, at his residence, James DOWNS.
-Funeral from the Whitcomb House Tuesday, December 30th, at 2:30 o'clock. Burial private.
WATTEL - In this city, Friday, December 26, 1902, at her home, No. 71 Romeyn street,  Mary WATTEL, aged 89 years and 4 months. She is survived by seven daughters and one son, thirty-three grandchildren and forty-six great-grandchildren.
-The funeral will take place to-morrow (Monday) morning at 8:30 from the house and 9 o'clock at SS. Peter and Paul's Church. 
SIMPSON - In this city, Saturday morning, December 27, 1902, at the family residence, No. 1,077 St. Paul street, Kittie T. SIMPSON. She is survived by three brothers and three sisters.
-The funeral will take place Tuesday morning, December 30th, at 8:30 o'clock from the house, and at St. Bridget's Church at 9 o'clock.  
COUGHLIN - In this city, Friday, December 26, 1902, 11 A. M., at the home of her sister, Mrs. F. W. KIMPAL, No. 2 Lawton street, Miss Catherine COUGHLIN.
-Funeral Monday, 9 A. M., St. Mary's Church.
SPIEKERMANN - In this city, Thursday evening, December 25, 1902, at the family residence, No. 326 South avenue, Mrs. Louisa SPIEKERMANN, widow of the late Theo. SPIEKERMANN. She is survived by two children, Miss Mary and Charles SPIEKERMANN, and father, John SCHEFFEL, and three brothers, William and Joseph, of Rochester, N. Y., Henry of Auburn, N. Y.
-Funeral from home Monday, 8:30 A. M., December 29th, and from St. Boniface Church 9 A. M. Interment at Holy Sepulchre cemetery.  

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Mon Dec 29, 1902
Marriage of Frank G. Blair and Miss Maggie Snapp at Rush
The home of Mr. and Mrs. George SNAPP in Rush was the scene of a pretty wedding at high noon on Christmas Day, when Frank G. BLAIR, of West Henrietta, and Miss Maggie May SNAPP were married by Rev. W. T. TAYLOR, of Hinsdale, N. Y.
     The bride was attired in a robin's-egg blue lansdowns, trimmed in white swan's down. The bridegroom is a business man of West Henrietta
     After a dinner had been served, the happy couple started on their wedding tour of ten days, after which they will make their residence in West Henrietta.
Mrs. Mary L. SWEETING died at her home near Spencerport, December 26th, aged 32 years. Deceased was well known in the town of Parma, where she was born and had resided all her life. She is survived by her husband, Frank A. SWEETING, and two children; also by her mother and two brothers, W. J. PECKHAM and Charles PECKHAM, both of Parma.
Mrs. Rose BUDLONG, widow of the late Levi BUDLONG, of Scottsville, died at her home in that village early Saturday morning. Deceased had been a sufferer from heart disease for a number of years. Mrs. BUDLONG was 64 years of age, had long been a resident of Scottsville and was highly esteemed.
Small Concern Conducted by Charles Edwards Completely Gutted
Saturday evening shortly after 11:30 o'clock the rug factory in the Third ward at Waterloo, on East Main street, was discovered to be all in flames in the rear of the building, near where the engine and boiler were located. The Fire Department responded promptly but was unable to do more than save the adjoining buildings. The factory was completely gutted, and badly damaged by water as well as flames.
     The factory was a small concern conducted by Charles W. EDWARDS, and occupied the building owned by the Ten EYCK estate, which was used as a school house by the Waterloo Union School prior to the erection of the new Third ward school building. There was no insurance on the building or contents. The loss is about $500.
Mrs. Charlotte L. SWEET died on Saturday morning at her home on West Main street of fatty degeneration of the heart. Deceased was 80 years of age. She had resided in Waterloo for many years and is survived by two sons, ex-State Senator William L. SWEET, of Waterloo, and James SWEET, who resides in the West. She was the widow of Abram L. SWEET.
On Christmas Day, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. COSAD, at Cosad, N. Y., occurred the marriage of their elder daughter, Mary ADELINE, to Charles Edward WHITING, of Phelps, N. Y. The ceremony was performed at 6 P. M., in the presence of only the nearest relatives. After the bridal supper was served, Mr. and Mrs. WHITING left for Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington.
The grocery store of Charles A. KNAPP, on the Washington street bridge, in Waterloo, was Closed on Saturday by proceedings started by Edward LUX, one of his creditors.
LAING - In this city, Saturday, December 27, 1902, at her residence, No. 30 Rundel park, Miss Mary A. LAING, aged 88 years.
-The funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, December 29, 1902, at 2 o'clock, from the house.
SIMPSON - In this city, Saturday morning, December 27, 1902, at the family residence, No. 1,077 St. Paul street, Kittie T. SIMPSON. She is survived by three brothers and three sisters.
-The funeral will take place Tuesday morning, December 30th, at 8:30 o'clock from the house, and at St. Bridget's Church at 9 o'clock. 
HAFNER - In this city, Sunday morning, December 28, 1902, at the City Hospital, Adam HAFNER, aged 48 years and 10 months. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, and one son, Arthur; his mother and five sisters, Mrs. Mary J. KARLE, Mrs. George BERNHARDT, Mrs. Christina GEMINDER, Mrs. Minnie WEITZEL, of this city, and Mrs. Freidericka DANN, of Germany, and three brothers, George J., Fred G. and William C. HAFNER, of this city.
-Funeral from his late residence, No. 348 Gregory street, on Tuesday, December 30th, at 2 P. M.
MURPHY - In this city, Sunday, December 28, 1902, at his residence, No. 44 Bronson avenue, Jeremiah MURPHY, aged 82 years. He leaves, besides his wife, Honora, two daughters, Mrs. W. P. DILLON, of California, and Mrs. L. HESS, and two sons, William C. and Charles M. MURPHY, of this city.
-Funeral will be held from the family residence to-morrow (Tuesday), December 30, 1902, at 8:30 o'clock, and at the Immaculate Conception Church at 9 o'clock. 
COVELL - In this city, Saturday morning, December 27, 1902, at her home, No. 21 Tracy street, Bessie C., wife of Henry C. COVELL.
-Brief funeral services at the house Monday evening at 7:30 o'clock. Interment at Elmira, N. Y., on Tuesday afternoon.
DUFFY - In this city, Saturday evening, December 27, 1902, at his late residence, No. 105 Richard street, Patrick A. DUFFY, aged 61 years. He is survived by three daughters, Minnie, Louise and Jessie; one brother, Charles J. DUFFY; two sisters, Mrs. R. CAMPBELL and Mrs. E. McINTOSCH, all of this city. He was a member of the Old Thirteenth Regiment, O'Rorke Post, No. 1, and the Exempt Firemen's Association.
-Burial at Holy Sepulchre. 
COLEMAN - In this city, at the Hahnemann Hospital, Friday, December 26, 1902, Jane COLEMAN, aged 56 years.
-Funeral at the Free Methodist Church, North Chili, Monday, 2 P. M.
Panoram Camp, No. 9,562, Modern Woodmen of America, has elected officers as follows: Venerable consul, Edward W. HUNT; worthy adviser, Julius L. COONS; excellent banker, Martin F. BUCK; clerk, Joseph H. DALY; escort, Frank W. PECK; watchman, Benjamin W. ROWE; sentry, Frederick RICHARDS; manager, three years, Louis R. END.
Coroner KILLIP was yesterday called to determine the cause of the death of Leona POPPER, 3 months old, of No. 5 Jennings street. The first the child's mother knew of its death was when she woke up yesterday morning and found her baby dead beside her. The cause is a mystery, but the Coroner expects an autopsy to reveal it.
Mrs. Silence G. CARLTON, widow of the late George CARLTON, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. N. H. BAKER, in St. (didn't get the rest)
Coroner KLEINDIENST will to-day further investigate the suicide of Henry J. HOEHN, who hanged himself at No. 366 Lyell avenue Saturday afternoon. Children of HOEHN are expected to claim the body. He had been at the almshouse two years before he went to work for Otto ALBRECHT, baker, seven years ago. The suicide's name was first reported as Henry J. HAUN.
Mrs. BEDWIN, of No. 103 Exchange street, who took oil of mustard by mistake Thursday night, is reported in a fair way to recover. She is at St. Mary's Hospital.

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Tue Dec 30, 1902
Charles Webster Started To Cut Wood
Was Missed By Companions
They Investigated and Found Webster Dead in the Woods -
It is Believed Heart Disease Was the Cause -
Coroner Mayne Called
A death under unusually sad circumstances occurred yesterday afternoon in the town of Hartland. Coroner Henry H. MAYNE, of Lockport was summoned to take charge of the case.
     According to information that reached Lockport last evening, Albert SHORTEN, who lived on the farm of Charles WEBSTER, one mile west of Hartland Corners, started to the woods with a party to cut wood, and some time later was found dead in the snow. SHORTEN was a young man of 35 and worked the WEBSTER farm. He was the last to leave the house when the men started for the forest about a half mile away. The others reached the woods and began work before they noticed that SHORTEN had not arrived. They continued chopping for a while and then decided to see what had become of him. The men went back on their trail and presently found the missing man lying in the snow. He was apparently dead. They carried him to the house, one of the party meanwhile hastening to Johnson Creek to summon Dr. RICHARDSON.
     Mrs. SHORTEN was prostrated with grief when they brought in the body of her husband, who but a short time before had left her in apparently good health and the best of spirits. The doctor arrived within an hour and upon examination pronounced the man dead. It is reported that heart disease was the cause. It is possible that SHORTEN had a fainting spell caused by heart trouble and the exposure may have hastened death.
     Mr. SHORTEN was well liked by all his neighbors and his sudden death is deeply regretted by all who knew him.
Fire in Store of Pearce & Huntley, Penn Yan, Threatened Serious Damage
Fire was discovered in the basement of the Kelly block, on Jacob street, in Penn Yan Sunday night about 11:15, that threatened considerable damage. The store is occupied by PEARCE & HUNTLEY, who conduct a general hardware and implement business. The building is owned by Charles KELLY, of Penn Yan.
     An alarm was turned in, to which the entire department quickly responded, to find the fire was in the basement of the store, where it was confined. Several streams of water were quickly turned on the flames, which had apparently started near the center of the place, in a lot of boxes and waste material.
     PIERCE & HUNTLEY were amply covered by insurance. It is estimated that the damage done to the building will not be more than $400. It is not known whether Mr. KELLY had any insurance on his loss.
The following notes of issue have been filed with the County Clerk in Penn Yan, for trial at the January term of County Court to be convened in that village on January 12th: The people of the state of New York vs. Benjamin RENO. This is an appeal from a judgment rendered before Justice BAKEN and a jury. The case is an argument by Judge KNOX, without a jury, John G. JOHNSON vs. the village of Penn Yan. This case will be tried before a jury. This is also an appeal from justice's court.
Workman Loses His Life in Pit on Rockingham Street -
Companion Has Narrow Escape - Hanging Ledge Falls.
Bernard BEHN, 65 years old, of No. 182 Caroline street, was killed by the falling of a mass of dirt and sand in a pit on Rockingham street at 2:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Fred LANKE, 35 years old, was nearly buried under the same mass, but his head was left uncovered and he shouted until help reached him. BEHN was dug out, dead, after an hour's hard work by four men from the Hahnemann Hospital. Coroner KILLIP had his body removed to the morgue.
     BEHN and LENKE were employed by Contractor Edward STRAUCHEN, a builder of Brinker place, loading and drawing sand to the corner of South avenue and Capron street, where a building is under construction. They were in the habit of backing their wagon into the pit, where a ledge between twenty and thirty feet high overhung them. They evidently did not notice that the ledge was liable to fall.
     LENKE says BEHN was in the pit and he was several feet distant, near the horses, when a part of the ledge fell, burying BEHN up to his shoulders.
     LENKE hurried to BEHN and began digging him out. He had worked but a few minutes when the balance of the ledge fell, burying BEHN six feet deep. LENKE nearly met the same fate.
     LENKE shouted until persons living not far distant heard him and ran to his aid. Word was sent to the Hahnemann Hospital, which is but a few hundred feet from the gravel pit. The house physician, the male nurse and the ambulance surgeon and driver ran to the pit and began the work of releasing LEUKE. It did not take long to get him out. He was sent to the hospital, where his injuries were found to consist only of bruises and scratches. He went home after a few hours.
     The four men of the hospital worked an hour before they uncovered the body of BEHN. It was under fully six feet of frozen dirt and sand. The man's head was crushed and the rest of his body was torn and bruised.
     Coroner KILLIP will investigate the case to-day. He will summon many witnesses, in order to fix the responsibility for the accident. The pit is owned by ELLWANGER & BARRY. A foreman named CLARK was in charge of it.
Letter Mailed Without an Address Contained $60 and Was Restored Intact.
An incident, showing the honesty of Uncle Sam's employees, occurred the other day at the postoffice. One of the clerks took an envelope to Mr. WHITTLESEY having on it the single word "Sidney," in lead pencil. It was evident that it contained money and Mr. WHITTLESEY was at a loss to know what to do with it as there was no clew as to who put it in the mail or for whom it was intended.
     He was about to send it to Washington, after having held it on his desk for a few days, when a well-known business man entered the office and asked him if he had seen anything of an envelope with the name "Sidney" on it. Mr. WHITTLESEY turned it over to him after he had described it. The envelope contained $60, the pay of one of the man's employees. After making up the payroll the envelopes were put in a safe at the office, but in some manner this one had been separated from the rest and found its way into the mail.
      "I don't know what would have become of the money if the man hadn't called for it, said Mr. WHITTLESEY yesterday in speaking of the incident. "Probably the United States government would have got it eventually, but there is no fund that I know of into which it might have been turned. It was lucky the man called as he did, as I would have sent it to Washington with a report in another day, and in that case it would have been next to impossible for him to get his money back. The government is very strict in such cases and requires a thorough investigation. This would have taken much time and even the chances wouldn't be very bright for a recovery.
Percy INGERSOLL, 16 years old, slept in cell No. 13 at police headquarters last night as a vagrant. He said that he came here from Manitoba, where he left his father eight months ago. He had trouble with his parent and ran away. He has since worked on a farm, he says, in Ontario, Canada. His father is William INGERSOLL, of Shoal Lake, Manitoba, and the boy is willing now to go back to him. He has found that bucking the world at 16 is not what it is cracked up to be in "The Boy Gold Hunters: and kindred works. He was found at the New York central station at 9 P. M.
The funeral of Mary WATTEL, who died Friday, aged 89, was held yesterday morning from her late home, No. 71 Romeyn street, at 8:30 o'clock and 9 o'clock at SS. Peter and Paul's Church. Rev. F. X. SINCLAIR, D. D., celebrated solemn requiem Mass, assisted by Rev. Ferdinand SCHEID as deacon and Rev. Bernard GEFELL as sub-deacon. The choir, under the direction of Professor POHL, sang the Gregorian Mass. The grandsons, Fred MILLER, Frank GRIEBEL, Charles WATTEL, Edward BURGARD, Edward WHITE and Edward WEILAND, acted as bearers. Interment was at Holy Sepulchre cemetery.
Christopher, son of John and Celia REINFELD, died last night at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Casper FELL, No. 274 Orange street, aged 42 years. Besides his parents he is survived by two brothers, John and Joseph, and two sisters, Mrs. Casper FELL and Mrs. George THOMPSON.
Mary Magdeline WERDEIN RICE, of Gates, died at her home yesterday. She is survived by her husband, Arthur J. RICE; five children, one brother, John R. WERDEIN, and one sister, Elizabeth Angeline.
George W. RIVES died at the New York Hospital, aged 42 years. He is survived by his wife, two children, Fred L. and Hazel; his parents and one brother.
George T. DREW, formerly of this city, died Saturday at Unadilla, N. Y., aged 20 years. He is survived by three sisters and one brother.
RICE - At her home in Gates, Mary Magdeline WERDEIN RICE. She leaves her husband, Arthur J. RICE; her brother, John A. WERDEIN, of Elmira, and sisters, Elizabeth and Angeline, and five children.
-Funeral at the residence of her sister, No. 36 Asbury park, 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon.
RIVES - At New York Hospital, George W. RIVES, aged 42 years. The deceased leaves, besides his parents and one brother, his wife and two children, Fred L. and Hazel M.
MICHEL - In this city, Sunday evening, December 28, 1902, at the family residence, No. 556 Clinton avenue south, _ AMANDUS MICHEL, aged 66 years. He is survived by his wife, one son, William; two daughters, Mrs. Louis SCHREINER and Mrs. George KLEHR, and two brothers, George and John MICHEL.
-Funeral will be held Wednesday morning at 8:30 o'clock from the house, and at 9 o'clock from St. Boniface Church. 
HAFNER - In this city, Sunday morning, December 28, 1902, at the City Hospital, Adam HAFNER, aged 48 years and 10 months. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, and one son, Arthur; his mother and five sisters, Mrs. Mary J. KARLE, Mrs. George BERNHARDT, Mrs. Christina GEMINDER, Mrs. Minnie WEITZEL, of this city, and Mrs. Freidericka DANN, of Germany, and three brothers, George J., Fred G. and William C. HAFNER, of this city.
-Funeral from his late residence, No. 348 Gregory street, on Tuesday, December 30th, at 2 P. M.

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Democrat & Chronicle
Wed Dec 31, 1902
Man Who Was Shot by Stepson Sent to Penitentiary for 50 Days.
Willard COTTRELL, who was shot by his stepson, Ralph BOUCHE, during a family quarrel Christmas at No. 22 Monroe avenue, and later was arrested for assaulting his wife, was convicted in police court yesterday afternoon and given fifty days in the penitentiary. A second charge of assaulting his stepson, was not pressed.
     Mrs. COTTRELL was the first witness called. She said that she was talking with a neighbor when she heard a noise in her home and ran across the hallway to investigate. As she entered the kitchen her husband grabbed her and tried to choke her, "but I am pretty strong," she added, "and I pushed him away." COTTRELL then ran to the front bedroom, where her stepson, BOUCHE, was dressing. When she got into the room COTTRELL was on top of the boy choking him. Then she screamed and ran downstairs and as she did so she thought she heard a shot. COTTRELL followed her downstairs and tore the waist from her body.
      Willard COTTRELL told his story. He said he had an "argument" with his wife and was chasing her to the front part of the house when he heard a shot, saw a flash and felt blood trickling down the back of his head. Then he ran into the room and grappled with the boy. The boy said he had shot his step-father for abusing his mother. He did not take deliberate aim, but fired to scare COTTRELL. The shot was fired from a 22-caliber revolver.
     Policeman McKENNA, who, with Special McDONALD, arrested the COTTRELLS, was next called to testify as to the defendant's condition. The policeman said that COTTRELL was intoxicated. COTTRELL, re-called, denied he was drunk.
     Immediately after COTTRELL had been sentenced, Prosecutor CALLAHAN asked the Court to discharge Ralph BOUCHE, the stepson, who had been arrested on a charge of assaulting his stepfather. "I don't think the Grand Jury would indict this boy," said Mr. CALLAHAN, "even if he is held, and if he is indicted, I hardly think a jury would convict him. I ask the Court to discharge the boy."
     The boy was released and left the court room with his mother.
Services Conducted by Rev. Asa Saxe Held at the Whitcomb House.
The funeral services of the late James DOWNS were held at the Whitcomb House yesterday afternoon. Relatives and near friends, including representatives from the lodges and business organizations to which Mr. DOWNS had belonged, were the only people admitted. Rev. Asa SAXE, formerly pastor of the Universalist Church, conducted the services and made a short address. The body was taken to Mount Hope Cemetery. The bearers were William BOWMAN, George SABEY, D. DAVENPORT, Charles TROTTER, Wesley CROUCH, John SCHOENMAKER, Hiram H. EDGERTON, and B. E. CHASE. The flowers included a square and compass from Monroe Commandery, a broken column, heart and harp from the employees of the Whitcomb House, several pieces from the Masonic chapters, a piece from Bluecher Lodge, K. of P., a piece from the A. O. U. W., and several pieces from friends and relatives.
     Otto WISOTSKE, 9 years old, a son of August and Sophie WISOTSKE, died yesterday at the family home at No. 92 Hollister street. He is survived by six brothers.
James L. MUNSON, aged 83 years, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John S. MORGAN, No. 12 Arnold place, yesterday.
Married At Fifteen, She Soon Repented
Second Trial No Better
Attempted Murder and Suicide After Marriage to Bauerschmidt
and Then Went on Stage -- Ambition Not Gratified
To-morrow the body of Deborah Ann TALLINGER ALLEN, or Dollie EARLE, the actress who committed suicide at the Trocadero Theater in Philadelphia on Saturday, will be buried from the home of her brother, John S. ALLEN, No. 601 Clifford street. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock and only the immediate family and close friends will attend. Her only near relatives outside of the city are her mother, step-father and a brother in Ingersoll, Oklahoma, and a brother in Durand, Indian Territory. These have been notified by telegram, but it is doubtful if they can be present.
      The career of "Little Deb ALLEN," as she was known to her family and friends here, or Dollie EARLE, to use her stage name, has been that of many another impetuous, self-willed, ambitious girl. Her mother, whose maiden name was Deborah YAWMAN, was the adopted daughter of Godfried TALLINGER. Thirty years ago, when Rochester was a smaller town than it is to-day, the TALLINGERS owned a millinery store in the building next to what was then Powers Hotel. They did a flourishing business for many years and lived in the old TALLINGER homestead at No. 25 Alexander street. Here Deborah YAWMAN, or TALLINGER, married Albert S. ALLEN, and on March 22, 1875, Deborah A. T. ALLEN, or Dollie EARLE, was born. She spent her school days in No. 15 school near the home of her grandfather, Godfried TALLINGER, and by her cheery ways won her way to the old man's heart to such an extent that at his death he left her a legacy of $8,000, the income of which she had the life use of. James S. FAHY was appointed as her guardian.
     When about 15 years of age she made a trip to Texas and meeting Stephen NOLAN in Dallas, she married him there in her happy-go-lucky way. Thus married in haste she repented at leisure. She quarreled violently with her husband and about the year 1897 they decided to call their matrimonial venture a failure. She came North, where she soon married Frank C. BAUERSCHMIDT. But still the bonds of matrimony chaffed.
     For some time the couple ran a resort at Charlotte and while doing fairly well financially they were not happy. This state of affairs ended in an unsuccessful attempt at murder and suicide on the part of the wife. The couple then moved to New York city, and from this date Dollie EARL'S professional life begins. For the past two or three years she has been traveling with theatrical companies all over the country.
     From early childhood she had a clear and pleasing contralto voice which was ever in demand at charity concerts and in the homes of her friends. When practically deserted by her husband, who is now dying of consumption in New York, she fell back on her musical ability and vivacious manner, both of which quickly secured her a place upon the stage, although in a humble position. It was the fact that she was still at the lower rungs of the ladder without any apparent chance of advancement, that undoubtedly led to her drinking carbolic acid in her dressing room at the Trocadero Theater last Saturday just before the curtain went up.
     On November 3d last she held a prominent position with the "Budd Bruce Show Troupe," then showing in the Odeon, at Baltimore. This company soon went to pieces and she joined the "Runaway Girl" company, which became stranded in Philadelphia about two weeks ago. Discouraged but not entirely disheartened, she secured a position with the "Merry Widows" company, then playing in Philadelphia at the Trocadero, and apparently became a contented member of the troupe. But an unsatisfied, apparently hopeless, ambition to be a dramatic star had been gnawing at her heart. And a pitiful little wreath, sent by two of the girls in the "Merry Widows" company, is the only sign of affection that follows the end of a headstrong, much-checkered young life.
     The trustee of Dollie EARL'S estate is John TALLINGER, of No. 160 Conkey avenue, whose only relationship to the dead girl lies in the fact that Godfried TALLINGER was his great-uncle. He stated last evening, upon his return from Philadelphia, from where he had brought the body of the dead actress, that as she had had no children, her property will be divided equally among her three brothers.
     She will be buried, despite her wish to be cremated, in the lot in Mount Hope cemetery left to her by Godfried TALLINGER.
Young Woman Who Drank Poison Sunday is at Police Headquarters.
May SIMPSON, the young woman who took poison at McGRATH's eating house on Main street east Sunday night, was taken from the Homeopathic Hospital to police headquarters yesterday afternoon and placed under the care of the matron, although there has been no charge made against her. She has almost recovered from the effects of the poison she took.
     She will be detained at headquarters till the police finish their investigation into the circumstances of the taking of the poison. It is alleged that the poison was taken for another purpose than suicide. Captain ZIMMERMAN has the case. The girl is 21 years old and attractive of face and figure. She says that her home is in Chicago. She has been in this city some time.
Harry S. WOODWORTH is prevented by the statutes from carrying any higher the case brought against him by the people for an alleged violation of the speed statutes referring to automobiling. He was convicted in Brighton and was fined $50, which he paid, but he carried the case to County Court and to the Appellate Division, without success. Horace McGUIRE was his lawyer. Assistant District Attorney Robert AVERILL represented the people in the higher courts.
An unusually good time was enjoyed by the members of the Sunday-school of the United Presbyterian Church last night, when the annual Christmas festival was held. A. J. REIBLING, assistant superintendent of the school, was in charge and there were between three and four hundred present. There were addresses, recitations and songs by the children, and Garrett NYENHUBS acted as Santa Claus. Rev. J. P. SANKEY, D. D., pastor of the church, was present.
In Municipal Court yesterday the Central Bank sued Herbert BOOGERT for $190.03, claiming that his account is overdrawn to that amount. BOOGERT says that he preformed services for the bank worth $80, and that he has $134.08 on deposit at present, and he demands judgment for $214.08.
Coroner's Physician JOHNSON yesterday forenoon held an autopsy on the body of Bernard BEHN, who lost his life in a sand pit on Rockingham street Monday afternoon. Death was caused by suffocation, Coroner KILLIP will begin an inquiry into the accident at the morgue this afternoon at 3 o'clock.
James GAFFNEY wandered through the central police station yesterday afternoon looking for some one to arrest him. He found Lieutenant STEIN, who put a charge of vagrancy against him and locked him up. GAFFNEY is thought to be looking for a home for the winter.
Adam J. ZUGELDER and Miss Agnes C. M. LOYSEN, both of this city were married last evening by Rev. F. F. FRY, pastor of the Church of the Reformation, at the parsonage, No. 12 Grove street.
The Presbytery of Geneva has been called to meet in special session Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the First Presbyterian Church, of Geneva, to dissolve the pastoral relation of Rev. William S. CARTER, who has been pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, of Waterloo, for nearly eighteen years, but who will soon become the assistant minister of the Central Presbyterian Church. The congregation of the Waterloo church will take action on Mr. CARTER's resignation to-night.
Charles O. WESTON has taken an appeal to the Appellate Division in the $20,000 libel action brought by him against his brother, John P. WESTON. The WESTONS married sisters, and Charles alleges that John alienated the affections of Charles's wife, but failed to recover damages in a suit, brought for that purpose. He then sued his brother for libel, alleged to have been contained in a newspaper interview, but lost that also, which case has now been appealed.
While en route from Dunkirk to this city H. E. POTTER, of Warren, Pa., lost $115, and yesterday he asked the police to help him find it. On his journey to this city POTTER used two railroads and must have changed cars at least twice, so there is little probability that the money will be recovered.
MUNSON - In this city, Tuesday, December 30, 1902, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. John S. MORGAN, No. 12 Arnold park, James L. MUNSON, aged 83 years.
-Interment at Canandaigua Thursday, January 1, 1903.
RIVES - In the city of New York, Monday, December 29, 1902, George W. RIVES, aged 41 years. 
-The funeral will take place from the parlors of Ingmire & Thompson, No. 64 Clinton avenue south, on Wednesday (to-day) at 2:30 P. M. Burial strictly private.
LACY - At his residence in Avon, N. Y., Tuesday, December 30, 1902, Daniel LACY, in his 76th year.
-Funeral from the home 2 P. M. Thursday. Please omit flowers.
REINFELD - The funeral of Christopher REINFELD, who died Monday, December 29, 1902, will take place this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence of his sister, Mrs. Casper FELL, No. 274 Orange street, and 2:30 o'clock at SS. Peter and Paul's Church.