Search billions of records on

Rochester, Monroe, NY
Union & Advertiser
Wed Mar 22, 1905


But Did Not Know That He Was Breaking the Law
Said He Had Been Given Permission to Do So In Case of Previous Child
Judge Chadsey Said That the Practice Must be Stopped
and Fined Harris Ten Dollars

   William HARRIS, the negro who was accused of burying a dead babe in the back yard of his residence at 38 Favor street, and who was arrested on that charge by Capt. ZIMMERMAN, after being held by the order of Coroner KILLIP, was arraigned in Police Court this morning. Through his attorney, Counsellor McDOWELL, a plea of guilty was entered. Mr. McDOWELL asked for leniency for his client, making the plea that HARRIS had once before had permission from the Board of Health to bury a former child in the back yard, where the last child was also buried.
   "My client has always borne a good reputation," said Mr. McDOWELL, "and as he once had permission to bury a child in the same place, he did not suppose that it was necessary for him to again ask for permission. For that reason I ask that your honor be as lenient as possible in that case."
   The statement that HARRIS had permission to bury a child in his yard was heard with considerable astonishment by both Judge CHADSEY and Assistant District Attorney BECKTOLD.
   "Do you mean to say," inquired Judge CHADSEY, "that he actually had permission to bury a previous child in his yard?"
   "That is what my client tells me," replied Mr. McDOWELL.
   "Well, I don't think any such permission was ever given," exclaimed Mr. BECKTOLD. "It don't seem possible that the Board of Health could have ever given this man permission to bury a child anywhere except in one of the cemeteries, let alone in a back yard."
   "Whatever may have been the case in the past," said Judge CHADSEY, sternly, "this sort of thing must be stopped. There must be no more burying of children in yards. On account of this man's good record and because he did not seem to have meant to break the law I will be as lenient as possible, but he must understand that he has been accused of a serious offense. The sentence of the court, HARRIS, is that you pay a fine of $10, or be imprisoned not to exceed ten days."
   HARRIS' fine was paid a few hours later by a relative.
   After the case had been disposed of, Mr. McDOWELL was asked if he had seen the permit HARRIS said he had in the case of a previous child.
   "No, I have not seen it," replied Mr. McDOWELL. "He told me that the permit in question is in Syracuse. I did not like to have the case delayed and the man shut up in jail for the purpose of sending to Syracuse, so I did not ask for an adjournment for the purpose of getting it."

Trio of Youths Admit Entering Thomas Letteridge's Home
Statements Taken and Disposition of Case Put Over Until Court Investigates
Corigliano Pleads Not Guilty to Charge of Bribery and Offering to Take Bribe

   George MILLER, Edgar DOBSON and William OPFEL, indicted for burglary and petit larceny, pleaded guilty this morning in County Court and their statements were taken. Disposition of the cases was postponed until after the court has been acquainted with the facts in the case.
   Entering the cottage of Thomas LATTERIDGE in the town of Irondequoit on February 21st is the specific crime to which the trio pleaded guilty and for which they will be sentenced to-morrow morning.
   In the capture of the trio of young men it is believed the persons responsible for the series of raids upon bay and lakeside cottages were taken, and it was mainly through the efforts of Detective SCANLON and Patrolman CHRISTIE that the gang was rounded up.
   Gesuele CORIGLIANO, indicted for bribery and offering to receive a bribe, appeared in court this morning with his counsel, Salvatore VELLA. Demurrer to the indictments was entered by VELLA on the ground that the facts as charged in the indictment did not constitute a crime. The demurrer was promptly overruled by Judge SUTHERLAND.
   Then motion was made for the dismissal of the indictments. This was disposed of in the same way as the demurrer. Date for trial was first set for April 10th, but then it was left open. CORIGLIANO will probably be tried some time next week.

Says He is Not the Man Who Made an Attack on Former Assembly man Haight
   William HUSSEY, in Police Court to-day made a plea of not guilty to assault in the third degree upon ex-Assemblyman Jacob S. HAIGHT of Gates.
HUSSEY says that he has been mistaken for some other man. The ex-Assemblyman is positive in his identification of HUSSEY as his assailant. Neither side was ready to proceed with the case to-day, and it was adjourned until Monday, HUSSEY being released on $10 bail. HUSSEY was arrested at police headquarters late yesterday afternoon. He heard that he was wanted for the alleged assault on HAIGHT and went to the police station, where Detective SHAYNE, who had the warrant for his arrest, served it on him. HUSSEY was then paroled to appear in court to-day.
   The assault on HAIGHT took place Monday evening on Plymouth avenue near the Clarissa street bridge. HAIGHT was walking with a companion when suddenly a man came up behind him and struck him violently on the back of the head, knocking him to the pavement. HAIGHT did not at first suspect who his assailant was, and swore out a John Doe warrant. Later HUSSEY's name was inserted in the warrant. It is said that there was bad feelings between the two men on account of a judgment rendered by HAIGHT when he was a justice of the peace in Gates.

But Police Think O'Donnell Spent His Money and Dreamed Tale of Hold-Up
  "I was not drunk, your honor," said John O'DONNELL when arraigned in police court to-day on a charge of intoxication. "But I was held up by two men and robbed."
   O'DONNELL was arrested shortly after 3 o'clock this morning on River street, near St. Paul, by Officer COPENHAGEN. He was then bleeding from a cut in the chin, which the officer says he received by falling on the pavement while under the influence of liquor. At the time of his arrest he did not say anything about having been robbed.
   This morning O'DONNELL said that he was attacked by two men on River street and robbed of about $5. He could not give any clear description of the men and the police (didn't get the rest)

An Aged Man Who Lived the Life of a Hermit on Canandaigua Lake Shore 
   Canandaigua, March 21 - The total disappearance of Myron FULLER, an aged man who has lived the life of a hermit on the hillside back of Whisky Point, on the east shore of Canandaigua lake, has caused much speculation among his neighbors, most of whom dwell over half a mile from his habitation, and some apprehension among his relatives, who are residents of the town of Naples.
   FULLER has not been seen since the last heavy fall of snow, and at that time the roads and fields were wellnigh impassable for some days. When the neighbors got the roads broken and travel was resumed it was noticed that no smoke arose from the shack occupied by the hermit, and at first this was given no significance, for it was known that FULLER often went away from home for short trips. But as days passed and nothing was seen of him, investigation was instituted, which developed the fact that he had not been at home for some time.
   It is feared that he may have wandered out into the mountains of snow that were piled upon the hillside, in search of fuel, or for other reasons, and got lost or overcome by exposure, and laid down in the snow and died.
   It is reported that an investigation will be carefully made by relatives and the authorities. In the meantime, if FULLER is alive, he can dispel the fears of his friends and relatives by giving them information as to his present whereabouts.

Mother of Carl Oakes of Hornellsville Frantic With Grief
   Hornellsville, March 21 - Although the search for the body of Carl OAKES, who was drowned Sunday, has continued every day since no trace of the body can be found. Chief HEDERMAN, of the Fire Department, turned out with a force of men and they examined as carefully as they could the river and its banks to-day, but found nothing.
   It has been (unreadable) the river to rise again and this makes the search all the more difficult. The mother is almost wild with grief, and in spite of everything that can be done is calling night and day for the return of her boy's body.

Young Couple Who Eloped to Olean Agreed to Separate
   Olean, March 21 - Mrs. Myron SWARTHOUT to-day came for her daughter, who eloped a few days ago. The mother had to walk many miles on the railroad track to get here, because of the high water.
   She withdrew the complaint against young BECKER, he having agreed to leave the girl alone and advise her to return with her mother peaceably, and they returned home to-night. The girl was nearly heart-broken because she had to leave her lover. She vowed she would wed him two years hence, when she becomes of age.

Philadelphian Jumps From a Liner in Mid-Ocean and is Drowned
   New York, March 21 - Andrew L. GRISCOM, of Philadelphia, who disappeared from Philadelphia several weeks ago and was supposed to be in Europe, committed suicide on March 19th by jumping overboard at sea from the steamer Minnetonka. Mr. GRISCOM sailed on the Minnetonka from London for this city.
   When he jumped overboard the vessel stopped and a boat was lowered, but the body could not be found. It is supposed he was temporarily unbalanced mentally. GRISCOM was a member of a well known Philadelphia family.
   When GRISCOM disappeared from Philadelphia it was reported that he had eloped with a young woman and that both of them had gone to Europe. GRISCOM's mother, however, denied it.

Sister Kills Herself Because She Didn't Know Other Was so Sick
   Saranac Lake, March 21 - Miss Elizabeth HOTZ, of Indianapolis, committed suicide this morning by shooting herself in the heart. She came here last fall for the benefit of the health of her sister, Mrs. Oscar KOSTER. They took a cottage at Moody Pond.
   When the district nurse called this morning she found Mrs. KOSTER dead. Miss HOTZ was discovered in the dining room in a pool of blood. On the table was a note in which she said she did not know that her sister was as sick and asking to be forgiven for her act.
   She evidently blamed herself for not letting the husband know his wife's condition.

Cortland Woman, in Burning House, Tries Suicide and Then Appeals for Help
   Cortland, March 21 - Mrs. Frances COLEGROVE, a widow, set fire to her house early this morning and then fired three shots at herself in an attempt at suicide. Finding that her efforts to kill herself were in vain, she frantically called to her neighbors to help her out of the burning building.
   James D. ELLIS, who lives across the street, heard her cries and with a ladder took the woman from a second story window. The house burned. The woman was removed to the hospital. The physicians believe that she will recover.
   Owego, N. Y., March 21 - An operation was performed to-day on State Railroad Commissioner Frank M. BAKER at his home here, by which his left leg was amputated between the ankle and knee. Mr. BAKER's foot was crushed at Port Jervis two weeks ago, when he fell in attempting to board a moving train at the Erie station.
   Boston, March 21 - Governor William L. DOUGLAS to-day transmitted to the Legislature a message dealing with state finances, particularly with a large increase in the debt, and recommending the adoption of a direct inheritance tax for revenue purposes.
   New York, March 21 - Henry William ALDEN is dead at his home in Paterson, N. J., aged 85. He was a direct descendant of the Puritan colonist, John ALDEN.
   London, March 21 - The marriage is announced of the Earl of Rosslyn and Miss Anna ROBINSON, of New York. The bride was for a short time on the stage.
   Albion, March 21 - The Board of Trustees will go to Niagara Falls in a body on Friday next for the purpose of investigating the Niagara Power Company, in reference to granting it a franchise to transmit power to Albion, which the company seeks to do, as to other places in Western New York.

Republicans Had No Opposition at Warsaw Election
   Warsaw, March 21 - At the charter election held this afternoon the following Republican ticket was elected: President, Joseph C. BUXTON; trustees, Dr. M. J. WILSON, B. F. WILLIAMS and William E. WEBSTER, insurance agent; assessor, George W. TOWNE; collector, Carl COPELAND; treasurer, A. B. BISHOP.
   There was but one ticket in the field, the Democrats having failed to make any nominations."
   Albion, March 21 - The last meeting of the Historical Club for the season 1904, 1905 was held last evening at the residence of Mrs. Emma P. LYON on North avenue. Hon. Sanford T. CHURCH talked upon the subject, "The Russo-Japanese War from a Japanese Standpoint." Judge W. C. RAMSDALE spoke upon "The Open Door," which was a fitting close to the season's work. There will be a business meeting for reports and the election of officers and the selection of a topic for another year, called later.
   Scottsville, March 21 - This morning at 9 o'clock, at the Church of Assumption, was held the funeral of Joseph QUINCY, an old resident of Scottsville. Mr. QUINCY had been suffering with heart disease for several weeks and his death occurred Friday night. He was 84 years old and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Joseph MARCHESI, of Medina, Mrs. Livonia, of Rochester, and two sons, John QUINCY, of Knoxville, Tenn., and Joseph QUINCY, of Buffalo.
   Pittsford, March 21 - Fifty-five votes were cast this afternoon at the village election held at the town hall. There were a few scattering votes but there was only one ticket in the field, as the two parties consolidated on the following candidates, who were elected to-day. President, Eugene H. SATTERLEE; trustees, Gustave REHBEIN, Charles SPELLMAN; collector, john M. FISHER; treasurer, Angelo L. CRUMP.
   Pittsford, March 21 - Members of the Twentieth Century Class of the Presbyterian Church Sunday school will give an entertainment Thursday evening at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. HERZBERGER, of Locust street. A drama entitled "Mrs. Willis's Will" will be given by Mrs. J. B. STATLER, Mrs. Julius ZORNOW, Mrs. Christine CRUMP HAYNER, Mrs. Somers ECKLER and Miss Lucy CRUMP.
   Hilton, March 21 - The village election took place here to-day. Ninety votes were cast and the following candidates were elected to office: President, Thomas STOTHARD; trustee, Henry BAFTON, two years; treasurer, Joseph INGRAHAM; collector, Milton BUTCHER; trustee for public library, Henry BUFTON, five years; trustee for public library (vacancy), Henry S. CROSMAN.

BENNETT - At Christ Hospital, Jersey City, Sunday, March 10, 1905, Louise BENNETT, formerly of this city.
-Funeral Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from No. 33 Chestnut street. Burial private.

FRITTS - Tuesday, March 21, 1905, at the home of her sister, Mrs. Frank GAGE, No. 7 Ardmore street, Sarah B. FRITTS.
-Funeral at Macedon Center Thursday at 2 P. M.

LOWDEN - Suddenly, at the home in North Greece, Tuesday, March 21, 1905, John Marshall LOWDEN, aged 70 years.
-Funeral will be held at the home on Friday at 1:30 o'clock, and at Hilton Baptist Church at 2:30. Friends are invited to attend.

WARREN - Tuesday, March 21, 1905, at her residence, No. 70 Bronson avenue, Mrs. Eliza WARREN. She leaves to mourn her two daughters, Miss Emma WARREN, Mrs. William ATKIN, and three sisters, Miss Alice HUNT, Mrs. Sarah LOVE and Mrs. Richard PATTERSON.
-Funeral will be held from her home Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

STEWART - In this city, Tuesday, March 21, 1905, at the family residence, No. 230 Lyndhurst street, Margaret Wheeler, only child of J. LANSING and Frankie WHEELER STEWART, aged 5 years and 6 months.
-Notice of funeral hereafter.

LINGHAM - In Chester, Pa., Monday evening, March 20, 1905, Melissa D. LINGHAM; aged 71 years, widow of the late George LINGHAM.
-Funeral services will be held Thursday morning in Mount Hope Chapel. Notice of the hour will be given later.

BROCK - In New York city, Sunday, march 19, 1905, Wallace P. BROCK, aged 47 years, formerly of this city.
-The remains will arrive in this city Wednesday at 5:20 A. M., and will be removed to Stranchen's undertaking parlors, No. 253 North street, from which a private funeral will take place at 2 P. M., Interment at East Brighton.

McFARLIN - In this city, Sunday evening March 19, 1905, Jane McFARLIN, aged 75 years, widow of the late Benjamin McFARLIN.
-Funeral services will be held Wednesday, March 22, 1905, at 10:30 a.m., at 33 Chestnut street.

BUSHNELL - In this city, Saturday, March 18, 1905, Frances J., eldest daughter of the late R. J. BUSHNELL.
-Funeral Tuesday, March 21st, at 3 P. M. at the family home, No. 232 Kenwood avenue. Interment at Mount Hope.

GOETZMANN - At his home in West Webster, N. Y., Sunday, March 19, 1905 of cancer of the stomach, Charles GOETZMANN, aged 71 years. He is survived by his wife, Dorothea, two sons, Charles L. and John A., and one daughter, Mrs. Peter HASENPFLUG, all of West Webster.
-Funeral Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the M. E. Church, Rev. HELINKAMP officiating. Burial at Mt. Hope.

SAVAGE - Tuesday, March 21, 1905, at his late residence, No. 232 University avenue, Morris H. SAVAGE, in the 77th year of his age. His wife and three daughters, Mrs. E. J. GRARTY, Mrs. N. W. SOBIC and Miss Sara SAVAGE, also one son, Saul N. SAVAGE, survive him.
-Notice of funeral hereafter.

Francis C. TRAVERS, a prominent Roman Catholic of New York, died Saturday night at his home, No. 57 West Seventy-fourth street. Mr. TRAVERS was a neighbor of President ROOSEVELT at Oyster Bay, and it was he who invited the President to attend the dinner of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, and made all arrangements for his reception. Mr. TRAVERS's parents lived in Rochester at one time, and he then attended the Christian Brothers' Academy here. He leaves a wife, who was Miss Elizabeth BRODERICK, and six children.

The funeral of Robert G. LEVIS was held yesterday afternoon from the house, No. 185 Fulton avenue. The Board of Trustees of the Lake Avenue Baptist Church, of which Mr. LEVIS was formerly a member, attended in a body. Six sons of the decedent acted as bearers. Rev. Dr. C. A. BARBOUR officiated at the house and Rochester Lodge No. __ F and A. M., at the grave, in Riverside cemetery.

Morris H. SAVAGE died yesterday at his residence, No. 232 University avenue, in his 77th year. He was a lifelong resident of Rochester, and for many years was in the trunk business on State street. He retired from business about ten years ago. He leaves his wife, three daughters, Mrs. E. J. GRARTY, Mrs. N. W. SOBLE and Miss Sarah SAVAGE, and one son, Saul H. SAVAGE.

Frieda A. EISENHAUER, daughter of James and Julia E. EISENHAUER, died yesterday evening at the home, No. 218 Central park, aged 7 years and 9 months. This is the third child of the family to die in two weeks.

Mrs. Eliza J. WARREN, widow of Thomas WARREN, died yesterday at the home, No. 70 Bronson avenue, aged 62 years. She leaves two daughters, Miss Emma WARREN and Mrs. William ATKINS.

George SCHRADER died yesterday afternoon at the home, No. 396 South avenue, aged 46 years. He leaves his wife and three children.

Wendwell ROCHER died yesterday in the City Hospital, aged 60 years. The remains were removed to No. 253 North street.

Margaret W. STEWART died last night at No. 230 Lyndhurst street, aged 5 years and 6 months.
   Miss Augusta HEUER was united in marriage to Gerrit J. NYENHUIS, on Monday evening at the home of the groom's parents, No. 250 Joseph avenue. Rev. J. P. SANKEY D. D., of the United Presbyterian Church, performed the ceremony, John NYENHUIS was groomsman and Miss Maria RAAB attended the bride. After a brief Southern trip Mr. and Mrs. NYENHUIS will be at home at No. 252 Joseph avenue.
   Fred WALTON, a carpenter, who lives at No. 10 Monroe avenue, fell through the unfinished flooring of the Buell building in Main street east yesterday. He landed in the basement. His left leg was fractured near the ankle. WALTON was taken to the Homeopathic Hospital in an ambulance.
   The police of the Fourth precinct have been asked to find Charles PROVENO, aged 7 years, of No. 30 Philander street. The child left his home at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon to go to No. 18 school, which he attends, and has not been seen since. The police are of the opinion that the boy made his way uptown and that he will be found in a short time.
   The S. T. Club recently held an enjoyable party at the home of Miss Beth GUILLVER, No. 195 Oak street, in honor of her cousin, Miss Bregetta BURKE, of Geneva. The evening was passed in playing games, singing, etc. Among the out of town guests was Miss May MADDEN, of Geneva.