Highlights in the History of the
Seventy- Fifth Anniversary JournalContributed by Frank Parise
On the Evening of January 19th, 1887 a few civic minded men living in the Village of Inwood, which was then called, Westville, got together in a cottage owned by Mr. And Mrs. Edward Rhinehart on Lord Avenue, to organize a Fire Company for the village. These men organized and named the first fire fighting unit in Inwood, the Electric Hook and Ladder Company.
The Members present named Edward Rhinehardt temporary Treasurer. The next meeting held by the Company was January 26th, 1887 and at the time it was decided to make the number of charter members 55, the members present proceeded to elect Officers for their new Fire Company and the results were, Wilson Frazier, Foreman; Henry Smith, Asst. Foreman; Joseph B. Weatherwax, Second Asst. Foreman; Theodore Sprague, Secretary; George Hicks, Asst. Secretary; Edward Rhinehardt, Treasurer; Walter B. Wood, Financial Secretary; Trustees, William H. Wanser, Charles L. Pearsall and Peter Davenport.
It was decided to hold their meetings on the first Monday of every month, a feature which has been continued to the present date, a Charter Committee was appointed consisting of Wilson Frazier, Henry Smith, Joseph Weatherwax, Charles L. Pearsall, Theodore Sprague, Walter B. Wood, Fred Wanser, Elias H. Abrams, Edward Rhinehardt, and Peter Davenport.
On February 15th, 1887 a Charter for the Electric Hook and Ladder Company was received from the state. After receiving the charter they proceeded to take on new members, and among the first members to present their names for membership were Thomas Pettit, Freeman Sprague, Morris Pearsall, Norris Casteen, and Freeman Bowker. Fire apparatus was needed and ways and means had to be made to procure same, so a committee headed by Walter B. Wood was appointed to solicit funds. Through different channels such as dances, parties, oyster suppers and contributions the money was raised to procure the first fire truck for our village. An offer was made to the Bayonne Fire Department of New Jersey of $150.00 for a Hook and Ladder, this offer was accepted and a deposit of $20.00 was paid.
A Committee headed by William H. Wanser went to Bayonne and brought the Hook and Ladder home. Of course the problem of housing this apparatus was on hand, so one of the members, Peter N. Davenport agreed to rent a piece of land to the Company for the sum of $6.00 per year. This deal did not materialize but instead a piece of property was bought from Henry Combs, on Doughty Boulevard, near Bayview Avenue.
It was then decided to build a building on this property so plans were drawn up for a building 18 X 24 ft. with a 10 X 12 ft. extension, the lumber was purchased. A committee of Edward Rhinehardt, William H. Wanser and Valentine Smith were appointed to get the money for the lumber, George Pettit then a builder, received the contract.
The first membership Roll Call of the new Hook and Ladder Company, February 7th, 1887, was,:
Walter B. Wood George Hicks Richard Smith Fred Wanser George Herrick Warren Rhinehardt Edward Rhinehardt Emil Zerinko Oscar Shaw Valentine Smith William H. Wanser James L. Abrams John N. Abrams Floyd Abrams Charles L. Pearsall James W. Stafford Freeman Bowker William A. Rhinehardt William H. Pettit Smith Pettit William Gantroupe Zopher Pearsall H. M. Pardonna Charles H. Bowker Sr. Frank W. Smith Theodore Sprague Benjamin Ryder Robert Brown Peter N. Davenport Joseph Weatherwax Billings Hempstead Wilson Frazier Alexander C. Wanser George H. Mott Rothery Ryder Walter F. Abrams Lewis Craft Elias H. Abrams Thomas Pettit Norris Casteen Henry C. Smith Charles A. Wanser William A. Abrams Samuel D. Abrams Robert Hood Morris Pearsall
NASSAU COUNTY TOWNS
BACK TO INWOOD FOLKS
BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY
E-Mail- Frank Parise - comments, questions?
Edited by Linda Pearsall Harvey