http://users.rootsweb.com/~nynassa2/litowns.htm NASSAU COUNTY TOWNS/VILLAGES/HAMLETS

Webspace Provided by RootsWeb
Webspace Provided by RootsWeb

NASSAU COUNTY TOWNS
VILLAGES AND HAMLETS(1)

When western Queens became part of New York City, legislation creating the independent County of Nassau was passed by the State Legislature and then signed by Governor Frank Black on April 28, 1898. It provided that Nassau be officially born on January 1, 1899 and the Towns of North Hempstead, Hempstead and Oyster Bay, including what would later become the Cities of Long Beach and Glen Cove, secede from Queens County to form Nassau County. The Horse's Head Peninsula, which seceded from the Town of Oyster Bay on June 15, 1886, was already part of Suffolk's Town of Huntington. Today it constitutes the northern half of the Village of Lloyd Harbor. Remaining with Queens was the Rockaway Peninsula. The truck ladder house of the Mineola Fire Department Hook and Ladder Company was selected as the temporary home of the county at the Board of Supervisors' first meeting. In 1900, Governor Theodore Roosevelt (an Oyster Bay resident) laid the cornerstone of the first Nassau Courthouse, nown known as the the "Old Courthouse."

The end of the war brought demoblization and with it the return of young men to begin new families. To their dismay they found a housing shortage. It led to the post-war construction boom, which began in the Fall of 1946. On May 27, 1947, the Hempstead Town Board amended its building code to premit cellarless homes. The change resulted in the most famous example of mass-home construction, the area in Nassau known as Levittown. Levittown got its start with William Levitt's construction firm building 10,101 homes between July 1, 1947 and December 31, 1949. Nassau County's growth in the period 1940 to 1950 led the nation. Other areas of Long Island also grew rapidly as demand for housing outstripped supply.

Listed below are some Villages and Hamlets also the city of Long Beach
Some have a history attached to them and some have some helpful links

  • BALDWIN ->Hick's Neck->Baldwinville

  • BELLMORE-Little Neck in Hempstead Town Records, also New Bridge. North Bellmore was called Smithville or Smithville South-Springfield.

  • BETHPAGE

  • CEDARHUST-Ocean Point

  • EAST ROCKAWAY "Rockaway" "Near Rockaway"

  • EAST MEADOW

  • FRANKLIN SQUARE-Washington Square-Schroeher's Hotel

  • FREEPORT-Raynortown; Washburn's Neck; Before 1725- Southwoods

  • GARDEN CITY-Part of the Hempstead Plains; A. T. Stewart

  • GLEN COVE- "Musketa Cove"

  • HEMPSTEAD-Pines or Raynors Pond-Burley Pond

  • HEWLETT-was part of Near Rockaway, RR called Fenhurst-Home of the Famous Hewlett Family

  • HICKSVILLE-Part of Robert Williams orginal purchase in 1648;

  • INWOOD-North West Point

  • LAWRENCE--was part of Near Rockaway; Lawrence Beach was called-Isle of Wright

  • LEVITTOWN-Before 1948-Island Trees or Isle of Pines

  • LOCUST VALLEY-Matinecock-(mostly Quakers)

  • Long Beach-was the resort only of fishermen and hunters

  • LYNBROOK-Bloomfield; Pearsalls Corner

  • MALVERNE--Part of Near Rockawy-Norwood

  • MANHASSET-Cow Neck

  • MERRICK-is the oldest settlement on western Long Island excepting Hempstead; from Merricock, meaning bare land.

  • NEAR ROCKAWAY-Clink-Town; Shipwrecks

  • OCEANSIDE->Christian Hook -> Oceanville. places: Mott's Dock; Jim Smith's Landing.

  • PLAINEDGE-Turkeyville

  • THE ROCKAWAYS-is a corruption of the Indian Reckouwacky

  • ROCKVILLE CENTRE-(Smithville?)

  • ROOSEVELT-Between Hempstead & Freeport, - Rum Point, Greenwich, Greenwhich Point

  • ROSLYN-Hempstead Harbor

  • SEAFORD-coming soon-Jersualem South, also known as Verity Town; Seaman's Neck- Atlanticville-not official

  • SEARINGTOWN-Herricks till abt. 1768

  • VALLEY STREAM- North -part of Fosters Meadow

  • VALLEY STREAM- South- part of Near Rockaway, Hungry Harbor, Tiger Town, Cookie Hill.

  • WANTAGH--Jersualem

  • WESTBURY-name given by Henry Willis, after a town in his native County of Wiltshire, England.

  • WOODMERE(was part of Near Rockaway)-was called Woodsburgh-until 1897.

  • Woodsbugh-1912 south Woodmere became again Woodsburgh.


A WORK IN PROGRESS, COME BACK AGAIN SOON

(1)SOURCE:Population Survey-1999
Permission to reprint -LONG ISLAND POWER AUTHORITY
SEE- POPULATION SURVEY

(2)SOURCE for names:
* If you're interested in a book for old-place names try The History of Nassau County Community Place-Names by Richard A. Winsche This book can be purchased at the LONG ISLAND STUDIES INSTITUTE; Hofstra University West Campus 619 Fulton Ave. Hempstead, NY, 11550-4575. (516-463-6411.

Another Source is
Colonial Hempstead
by Bernice Schultz
The Review - Star Press at Lynbrook, New York

Back NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY