MERICK, probably an abbreviation of the Indian name, Mericoke, is a continuous settlement on the south road about 5 miles south-east of the village, and a short distance east of Raynortown. Here a Methodist church was erected in 1830.
MERRICK is the oldest settlement on western Long Island excepting Hempstead. Both were settled in 1643. Until within a few years the greater part of what is now the town of Merrick was owned and held by the Hewletts, Carmans and Smiths, who grew bounteous crops upon their vast acres of level, rich fields; but agriculture finally gave way, and the succession of well-tilled farms became a residential section with beautiful houses set in emerald lawns.
At Merrick, the water behind the beach which protects the town from the sea, reaches closer to the mainland that at any other place between Lawrence on the west, and Babylon on the east; for this reason the people of Queens County, trading with New York before the days of railroads, brought their supplies hither by packets that threaded Jones' Inlet at the eastern end of Long Beach, scudded the wide, deep channel that runs to and along Whale Neck Point, and pushes up a little creek at Merrick, almost to the Merrick Road. This creek has been turned into a canal, 2,500 feet long, one hundred feet wide, and ten feet deep at low water.
BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY TOWNS
BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY