In my own personal genealogical research; I find that newspapers can be a great resource, not only for their historical value but for the genealogical tidbits that they offer.
Some Newspapers were run like gossip columns; for example, who was arrested for being drunk and disorderly, was cruel to their animals, beat their wives, children or neighbors, who was on vacation, and won prizes for raffles that were offered.
Other genealogical material can also be found in some articles as, who moved or sold their house and who bought it, ran for local office, was a member of some local organization, the occasional Honor Roll for students, applications for licenses, and even the newspapers themselves published a list occasionally of their subscribers.
Here is a list of newspapers and what I have abstracted from them. This project will be 'a work in progress', so please check back often for updates.
About the South Side Observer
The South Side Observer was the newspaper for Rockville Centre, Pearsalls, East Rockaway, Valley Stream, Rockaway, Springfield, Hempstead, Oceanville, Baldwins, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore, Ridgewood, Seaford & Queens Co.
Pearsalls is now Lynbrook; Springfield was part of Jamaica South; Oceanville was Christian Hook, now Oceanside; Ridgewood-The western section of Jerusalem South took the name of Ridgewood, now Wantagh. *
The paper was published on Fridays by the Wallace Brothers, Charles L. Wallace, Editor.
Also see Nassau County Towns for other hamlets & villages name changes.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- OCTOBER 29, December 02, 1886-->marriages & deaths NEW
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Obituary for the Rev. S. F. Johnson; April 30, 1886 NEW
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- January 10, 1890; subscriptions to the OBSERVER
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- JANUARY 03-31, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- FEBRUARY 07-28, 1890; marriges, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER_ MARCH 07-28, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- APRIL 04-25, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- MAY 02-30, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- JUNE 06-27, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- JULY 04-25, 1890; marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- AUGUST 01 to August 29, 1890- marriages, deaths & births.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Sept. 05 to Sept. 26, 1890- marriages & deaths.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Oct. 03, to Oct. 31, 1890- marriages & deaths.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Nov. 07, to Nov. 28, 1890- marriages & deaths
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Dec. 05, to Dec. 26, 1890- marriages & deaths
- OBITUARIES 1-27-numbered to correspond with above.
- OBITUARIES 28-_
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER-list of those who owned Hotels in 1890.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER-list of Lawyers, Physicians; Bussinesses in 1890.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER-Baldwin public school honor roll; 1890.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER- Genealogy Tidbits; February, 1891; December, 1891.
- SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER-Genealogy Tidbits; January 1892.
- QUEENS COUNTY SENTINEL-January 07, 1892- January 28, 1892 - Marriages & Deaths.
- QUEENS COUNTY SENTINEL- February 04, 1892; - Feb. 25, 1892 Marriages & Deaths.
- QUEENS COUNTY SENTINEL- March 03, 1892 - March 31, 1892- Marriages & Deaths NEW
- QUEENS COUNTY SENTINEL April 07, - April 21, 1892; Marriages & Deaths NEW
- THE ONCE A WEEK-Feb. 03, 1876
- THE ONCE A WEEK-Rev. R. S. Hulsart +
- THE ONCE A WEEK-February 24, 1876-Neighborhood news, gossip and local names.
- THE ONCE A WEEK-March 2, 1876-Smith Family, honor roll, news
- THE ONCE A WEEK-March 16, 1876-Rev. Mansfield French obit, Local Ads, churches & pastors
- THE ONCE A WEEK-April 06, 1876-Democrats, Republicans, Prohibitionists
- THE NASSAU DAILY REVIEW- marriage licenses issued & deaths; Dec. 24, 1929; Jan. 03, 1930;
- THE LONG ISLAND PRESS- August 01, 1945 NEW
The New York State - Newspaper Project. Here you can order microfilms of your favoite newspaper.
BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY
* There is an excellent book for changes of names in places;
"The History of Nassau County Community Place-Names"
by Richard A. Winsche
This book can be purchased at the
LONG ISLAND STUDIES INSTITUTE; Hofstra University West Campus
619 Fulton Ave. Hempstead, NY,
Last updated October 2, 2001
The information on these pages may not be copied, except for individual researchers. They may not be copied and put on another webpage or compiled and sold. Transcribed and edited by ©Linda Pearsall Harvey