OBITUARY OF THE REV. S. F. JOHNSON

THE SOUTH SIDE OBSERVER

April 30, 1886

Rev. Samuel F. Johnson, son of the late Stephen Johnson, was born in the village of Hempstead , June 2d, 1828. He was converted to God at Farmingdale camp-meeting when 15 years of age, and soon after united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. At the age of 17 he commenced to teach school at Uniondale, and afterward taught at Fosters Meadow, Washington Square, Merrick and Northport. Feeling himself called of God to the Christian Ministry, he was licensed to preach the Gospel, and received his first appointment from Rev. S. Landon, who was then Presiding Elder of Long Island district, and went as a supply to Middle Island and Selden in 1851. In June of the following year he was admitted into the New York East Conference and served as an effective minister thirty-two consecutive years. His appointments were to Amagansett, Riverhead and Jamesport, Cutchogue, Huntington, Westhampton and Moriches, on Long Island; to Stepney, Ridgefield, West Goshen and Cornwall Centre, Southbury and South Britain, in Connecticut. Then returning to Long Island he was appointed to Amityville circiut, East Norwich, Far Rockaway, Fosters Meadow and Woodsburgh, Roslyn and Searington, Oyster Bay, Flatlands, Stony Brook and Setauket. Mr. Johnson had never been robust in health and his long continued arduous labors seemed to indicate the necessity for a year of rest and change. Two years ago he took a superannuated relation and went with Mrs. Johnson to Drayton, Dakota, where their two younger sons reside. He fondly hoped that at the end of a year he could with renewed vigor resume his ministerial labors. He was compelled, however, with great reluctance to continue in the ranks of the superannuates. He then settled at Rockville Centre and was soon prostrated by what was diagnosed as a cancerous tumor. For ten months he has been alternating between what seemed to be the sure indication of speedy dissolution and promise of recovery, until Saturday last he was seized by a sever pain which in a few hours exhausted his remaining vitality and closed his mortal life at the mid-day hour. Thus has lived and died one of the purest and most faithful of Christian ministers. The religion of the Bible was grandly exemplified in his holy living, but never more so than during his long and distressing illness. He leaves the wife of his youth, (daughter of the late Joseph Smith, of Merrick,) the partner of his years of toil, trial and triumph in the Methodist ministry; one daughter, wife of Rev. W. A. Layton of Southampton, three sons, Wilbur F. Johnson, of East Norwich, and the two in Drayton, Dakota, and numerous friends to mourn his loss. But he leaves behind the savor of his pure life and pious teachings. Of a large family there is now left only one, a sister living in Hempstead.

The funeral services at St. Markís Church on Tuesday were largely attended and very impressive. Presiding Elder Simmons preached a funeral discourse of great power, and Rev. Mr. Terry of Baldwins, gave an appreciative retrospect of his deceased friendís life. Rev. E. K. Fanning, of Woodsburgh, Rev. S. Rushmore of Hempstead, Rev. Lyman E. Davis of this village, Rev. W. C. Wilson of Freeport and Rev. E. C. Hoag, of St. Markís also participated in the service. The interment was in the family plot at Greenfield Cemetery.

BACK TO NEWSPAPER INDEX

BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY

Translated & Edited by Linda Pearsall Harvey