PLAINEDGE

"HISTORY OF LONG ISLAND"
From it's First Settlement by Europeans,
TO THE YEAR 1845,
by NATHANIEL S. PRIME
1845

Plain Edge, or Turkeyville, is a settlement lying partly in Oysterbay, and partly in Hempstead, between 3 and 4 miles from the south road, and about the same distance south of Hicksville. It is a considerable settlement, somewhat scattered, and has two churches, on within the limits of each town. Either of the above names is sufficiently distinctive. The village is situated just on the verge of the Great Plain, whence its ancient name originated. And while the land is excellent, and, in general, well cultivated, the inhabitants excel in the art of raising turkeys. In passing through this vicinity, you behold immense flocks of these fowls, spreading over the fields, and often extending their stroll out upon the plain. Thousands of these are annually raised in this vicinity; and on that account, the very appropriate name was applied to it, by one of the oldest inhabitants.

The Methodist Episcopal Church in this settlement, stands within the town of Oysterbay. The other, situated on the turnpike leading from Hempstead, through Farmingdale to Babylon, was built some years ago by the "Methodist Society," or the Prostestant Methodists. It was in a flourishing condition till the "Midnight Cry" was sounded in this retired region. And when the providence of God had illustrated its falsehood, the society dispersed, and for several months the house has remained unoccupied. Summary-In this town are 17 houses of worship, viz:-7 Methodist, 4 Friends, 3 Episcopalians, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Reformed Dutch.

BACK TO NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY

BACK TO NASSU COUNTY TOWNS