THE SECOND SAND HOLE CHURCH

In May 1871 those loyal members of the "old church" who strenuously opposed the formation of the Saint Mark's and Saint James' Churches seceded themselves from the Methodist Episcopal Conference and organized themselves into the Methodist Protestant Church with the Reverend R.S. Hulsant as pastor. In 1871 the first Sand Hole Church was demolished to make room for a new building constructed at a cost of $16,000. This was an imposing church structure with an impressive steeple, a gallery on three side, stained glass windows and pews covered with red velvet cushions.
In 1897 this beautiful church was destroyed by fire

NEXT The Third Church

BACK NASSAU COUNTY HISTORY

Courtesy of James Pearsall

Transcribed and Edited© by Linda Pearsall Harvey