Battery Park City is built on landfill, some which came from the World Trade Center. It is used for both residential and commercial use. Bordering the Financial District and extending from Battery Park, it was constructed mostly in the 1980s and consists of parks, a marina and museums.
Battery Park which borders on Battery Place served as a prison camp for captured Confederates in the Civil War. Battery Place was name for a battery of artillery installed on a platform there in 1693 to protect the city against a French attack that never came. The site remained a supposed military strongpoint during the War of 1812, having been reinforced by construction in 1807 of the West Battery.
Castle Garden, the fort, was renamed Castle Clinton in 1815 in honor of May DeWitt Clinton and was vacated by the U.S. Army in 1823. From 1855 until Ellis Island opened in 1890, seven and a half million immigrants passed through the Castle Garden building while it was the country's premier immigrant landing depot.
The fort's last incarnation was the city's aquarium, from 1896-1941 when Robert Moses had it removed to Coney Island.