Orleans Chapter House
The stately red brick house owned by the Orleans Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 249 North Main Street, Albion, New York, has been named to the National Registry of Historic Places. This dignified Greek Revival brick building sits on a spacious shaded lawn, built circa 1845 for the Lee Family.
Orleans Chapter was organized on June 8, 1925, and received their Charter on June 11, 1926. By the year 1928 membership had grown and overflowed private homes as meeting places. Realizing the need, Emma Reed Webster offered to buy a substantial house and give it to the Chapter, the maintenance to be controlled by a corporation. On June 14, 1929, this brick residence was purchased from the Church Family. Some remodeling was done to make a large meeting room. The beautiful period woodwork was left intact and the house is graced with period furniture, antiques, and a large collection of artifacts in the museum. A ramp for the handicapped has been added for better availability for all.
The public is welcomed on "Open House Days" in the summer and also can be viewed anytime by request. Exhibits are changed periodically to display the large collection, including a Native American collection, owned by the Chapter. The Chapter honors high school students, who have been selected as "Good Citizens" from the five Orleans County Schools. The top essay goes on to State and National contests.
This stately Patriot's House is the DAR home to over fifty members, and is now another National Landmark for Albion, New York.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.