Methodist services were at first held in the school house on Church street in Syracuse long before the building of a house of worship. It is believed that Rev. Eben L. North organized the first class in the village in 1830, and about this time the church occupied their one story frame building standing on the west side of North Salina street near the old "Stanton Stone Yard," between West Willow and Noxon streets, and where services were continued until their brick building was ready for occupation. Rev. Vincent Coryell was preaching in 1835-6. The first brick church edifice was begun in 1836 and finished in the following year. It was surmounted by a high steeple at first, which offended the sight of Father Pease, one of the prominent members of the church, and he resolved to pray to the Lord to remove it. Soon afterwards the steeple was struck by lightning and destroyed. It was immediately rebuilt, but the prayers of Father Pease were still invoked against such an abomination, and a high wind soon blew it down; it was not rebuilt in its former style. The church was extensively repaired in 1856, and in 1869-70 was rebuilt and greatly extended at an expense of $25,000.
Submitted 12 July 1998