The First Universalist Society of Syracuse was organized by Rev. A. A. Thayer in 1859, and the following were chosen trustees: Sampson Jacqueth (president), David Wilcox, Wheeler Truesdell, Gardner Woolson, John F. Clark, B. Austin Avery, E. K. Reed; Harry Gifford, clerk. Rev. Mr. Thayer became the first regular pastor in 1860. In 1862 the first church edifice was built. This was afterwards sold to the city for the High School site, and in 1869 the present church was erected on the site of the old First Baptist church; it was dedicated in 1870 and cost $28,000.
Submitted 17 July 1998