This church was organized June 6, 1864, and was chartered March 3, 1866. Joseph Swartz was the first president; Joseph Wiseman, vice-president; Moses Bronner, treasurer. The first place of worship was in a building on Harrison street between Mulberry and Montgomery. In 1874 a hall in a building on the corner of Mulberry and Madison streets, was rented and occupied until the church was finished. In 1887 Solomon Rosenbloom purchased a lot on Orange street and insisted that the congregation should now have a home of its own; through his efforts, assisted by Morris Thalheimer, Daniel Rosenbloom, and K. A. Wolf, a gothic building was erected and dedicated in August, 1887. Other successive presidents of the church have been Solomon Rosenbloom, Morris Thalheimer, and Abraham Light. The first leader of the religious service was Rev. W. B. Newcity, who continued until 1875, when he was succeeded by Rev. Jacob Levi. Rev. Leopold Herman is in charge in 1895. Rural Cemetery, south of Oakwood, is the property of this society.
Submitted 18 July 1998