In 1870 thirty-five young men left the society of New Beth Israel and began holding meetings in Tabor's Hall. Their first minister was Marcus Radin, and Elias Labischinsky was president. In 1872 they were chartered under the above name and the following officers were chosen: Solomon Harrison, president; Jacob Tumim, vice-president; Samuel Solomon, secretary. In the next year the society bought a house and lot, No. 75 Mulberry street, where in 1877 they built their present church. In 1887 the society purchased a cemetery on the plank road.
Submitted 18 July 1998