In September, 1873, Bishop Huntington opened a Sunday school in a dwelling on Butternut street; thence it was transferred to a barn near by, which was fitted up for a chapel. This school was the forerunner of Calvary Church. On the 20th of September, 1877, the corner stone of the existing church building was laid, and the first service in the church was held on Christmas morning, 1877. Bishop Huntington and Rev. J. O. S. Huntington, assistant, conducted the services until 1883, when Rev. William Hubbard was called. He was succeeded by Rev. J. E. Johnson, the present pastor.
Submitted 17 July 1998