On the 7th day of January, 1884, fifteen persons, residents of Danforth, met at the house of Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Mann, and after some discussion, adopted the following: "Resolved, That the time has come to organize a Congregational church in Danforth." Committees were appointed, other meetings held, and on February 1, three weeks after the first meeting, a legal organization was effected. On February 3 the first religious meeting of the new society was held in Furman Street Methodist church, and Rev. E. A. Lawrence preached to a membership of thirty-six persons. The first officers, elected February 12, were: Trustees, Orrin C. Knapp, Luke Wells, Gilbert S. Hubbard, Daniel E. Hayden, Charles C. Hall, George F. Hitchcock, Enoch Mann, James Hunter, James H. Rose; clerk, Ebenezer Butler; treasurer, E. C. Tallcott; deacons, S. V. R. Van Heusen, sr., George F. Hitchcock, Nathan S. Curtis, E. H. Abbott. On Sunday, March 30, the society met at the school house and continued to worship therein until their new church was finished. A large lot on South Salina street was purchased March 29, 1884, and the corner stone of the handsome brick edifice was laid September 5. The building was dedicated June 29, 1885, and cost $15,000. Rev. D. F. Harris served as the first pastor, but was not installed; he resigned in February, 1887, and was succeeded by Rev. Ethan Curtis, who served until September, 1889. In February, 1890, the pastorate was assumed by Rev. H. A. Manchester, who is the present pastor. Under his ministrations the church is very prosperous.
Submitted 12 July 1998