This society was organized March 6, 1889, with the following officers: Pastor, Rev. R. E. Burton (who is still in the pastorate); deacons, D. F. Harris, C. H. Smith, William Waring, sr., S. B. Pratt, John A. Mackay; trustees, G. W. Wisner, George L. Ford, W. B. Graves, Charles Foreman, R. A. Risley, F. L. Harris, E. A. Legg, A. W. Smith, W. E. Masten. The society was a remote outgrowth of the Hope Chapel Mission, organized in April, 1860, by the Y.M.C.A., and under control of the First Baptist church. When it was finally decided to organize a society in the Fifth ward, forty-eight members of the First and twenty-two from the Central Baptist churches joined for the purpose. White's Hall, corner of Delaware and Geddes streets, was taken for services, which were held by Rev. C. R. Storey. A lot was subsequently purchased on the corner of Delaware and Dudley streets for $3,000, and Rev. R. E. Burton called to the pastorate. The brick church edifice was erected and dedicated November 13, 1890, the property costing about $12,000.
Submitted 12 July 1998