Previous to the year 1873, Methodist meetings had been held occasionally in dwellings in what was then Danforth village. In 1869 steps were taken to organize a society and in October of that year a board of trustees was appointed consisting of George Raynor, Selah Stocking, Rev. Curtis Palmer, Calvin Frost, and William R. Cleaveland. In the summer of 1870 Rev. Ebenezer Arnold began regular services and in the fall a lot was purchased which is a part of the present church site. A small wooden church was built and dedicated March 9, 1871. In 1874 Rev. Elijah Wood was appointed the first regular pastor. The first building soon became inadequate for the rapidly growing society, and in 1885 the subject of building a larger edifice was discussed. A subscription was opened which soon reached $10,000, additional land was purchased, and on September 21, 1886, the corner stone of the handsome brick church was laid. The building was dedicated in July, 1887. The society is now one of the most active and prosperous in the city.
Submitted 17 July 1998