In the year 1839 a few Methodist families began holding prayer meetings in Geddes; some of these had been members of the First Methodist Church. The meetings increased in interest and new converts were added. In course of time a young man named Cross settled in Geddes to teach school and he preached on Sundays in the school house. He was succeeded after a year by Elder Bussing, a local preacher, who continued the meetings another year. The first regular pastor was Rev. Mr. Barber, who served two years and was followed by Ezra Squires, who also remained two years. The Methodists and Episcopalians used the Episcopal church, which stood on the village green, for some years prior to 1852, when the Methodists occupied the basement of the school building, with Rev. C. S. Bragdon, pastor.
Submitted 12 July 1998