Organized with about ninety families by Rev. Charles Steinhauer in 1863; incorporated December 1, 1863. In 1864 a frame church was built on the site of the present church, corner of Prospect avenue and Butternut streets, which cost $12,000; prior to this time services were held in Ackerman's and Pfhol's halls. In 1867 the church was burned and the site was rebuilt with the present brick structure, which cost $24,000. The first trustees were Nicholas Morganstern, Charles L. Hamerle, William Gehm, C. Frederick Lindemer, Andrew Speich, and Jacob Walter. Rev. Mr. Steinhauer served the church six years to 1869, and was succeeded by Rev. Alexander Oberlander, who ministered to the church more than twenty years with great acceptance. The present pastor is Rev. H. G. Dattan.
Submitted 17 July 1998