The first service which led to the formation of this church was held in a wooden chapel on the site of the present church, corner of University avenue and Madison street. Rev. Thomas E. Pattison was the originator of the movement and early in 1871 the parish was organized. John V. Needham and Wells B. Hatch were the first wardens, and Arthur Crittenden, John R. Hawkins, Henry A. Leggett and John C. White, the first vestrymen. The corner stone of the handsome stone church was laid in June, 1876, and the building was consecrated in February, 1877. Rev. Mr. Pattison continued rector about seventeen years, and was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Gates, who remained only six months and was succeeded by Rev. John T. Rose on January 1, 1888; on January 25, 1891, the present rector, Rev. Herbert G. Coddington, assumed the position.
Submitted 17 July 1998