In the fall of 1871 several members of the Young Men's Association of Plymouth church organized a Sunday school which met in a private dwelling on Oswego street. The school prospered and during the last six months of its first year occupied rooms on Fabius street. Plymouth church then bought the lot corner of Oswego and Fabius streets and built a chapel. During thirteen years this school was continued under H. A. Jordan, John Dunn, jr., and W. A. Duncan, superintendents, the latter serving ten years. In 1885, through the labors of Mr. Duncan and others, a church organization was perfected, under the pastorate of Rev. J. C. Andrus. The first morning service was held April 12, 1885. April 14, 1885, a Congregational Council met in the chapel and the organization of the church was consummated with twenty-eight members; already E. G. Hall, George A. Mosher, W. S. Reed, W. A. Duncan, Charles M. Grannis, and Rev. E. A. Lawrence had been chosen trustees of the society. The site of the church was purchased and the building of the chapel portion of the edifice begun in the spring of 1886; the society first occupied the church on August 7, and it was dedicated September 24, 1886. The church edifice as it now stands was completed in 1890 at a cost of $20,000, and dedicated January 15, 1891. Rev. H. N. Kinney is the present pastor.
Submitted 12 July 1998