This congregation was organized August 7, 1854. The first services were held at the house of Moses Hart on Adams street. The following were the first officers of the society: Joshua Jacobs, president; Hery Lazarus, vice-president; P. Lee, secretary; Moses Hart, J. Samson, E. Labischinsky, N. Marks. The synagogue was built in 1856 and remodeled in 1887. The society owns a cemetery in the southern part of the city.
Submitted 18 July 1998