This society was organized September 24, 1853, with thirty-one members, and on November 6, of that year, Rev. M. E. Strieby was called as the first pastor. For a time the congregation worshipped in a building on the site of the convention block, East Genesee street, and in 1854 a chapel was built on Madison street on the site of the present chapel, and dedicated in February, 1855. Five years after the formation of the society the corner stone of the brick edifice was laid, a part of the walls of which are embraced in the present church. Dr. Strieby resigned after eleven years of faithful service and was succeeded by Rev. S. R. Dimmock, who remained four years. Rev. A. F. Beard was then called and served the church fourteen years, resigning in January, 1883, to accept the pastorate of the American church in Paris. Under his pastorate the church became the largest of the Protestant churches of the city. Chancellor Sims supplied the pulpit for a time after Dr. Beard's departure, and Rev. Edward A. Lawrence became the fourth pastor October 28, 1883. During is pastorate three new Congregational churches were established, taking forty-nine members of Plymouth into their congregations. Rev. Dr. J. C. Little succeeded Dr. Lawrence as supply until September, 1887, when the present pastor, Rev. Edward N. Packard was installed. In 1871 the church edifice was greatly enlarged and improved, and again in 1889-90, about $18,000 were expended in building improvements.
Submitted 12 July 1998