This church was organized in 1888, chiefly through efforts of Joseph Wallen, Marks Baliban, Moses Kline, David L. Cohen, and Abraham Moses. The society was chartered September 23, 1888, with the following trustees: Herman Wolfson, Ruben Rubenstein, Samuel Berman, Isaac Heitner, and Philip Kaufman; the first president was Alexander Cohn; secretary, Joseph Honig. The first meeting was in Sugarman's Hall, corner of Grape and Harrison streets. Rev. Mr. Finburg was the first minister. In 1889 the society rented a building on Mulberry street for worship.
Submitted 18 July 1998