The Reformed Church of Syracuse was organized by the Classis of Cayuga, March 10, 1848, with eleven members. Rev. James A. H. Cornell, the first pastor, was installed in August, 1848, the services being held in the old Unitarian chapel on East Genesee street. The site of the church on James street was purchased for $1,900, and the original structure was erected at a cost of $14,000; the corner stone was laid in the spring of 1849, and the structure was finished in the summer of 1850 and dedicated on the 16th of July. The last sermon in the old church was preached February 3, 1878, and on that day in the afternoon the building was burned. Plans were at once adopted for rebuilding, and the corner stone was laid on July 23, 1878, and the building was dedicated February 10, 1881, the rear part having been used some time prior to that date. The new church is of stone and cost $43,000.
Rev. Mr. Cornell was succeeded by the following pastors: Rev. Dr. Maltbie, supply, from September, 1851, to May, 1882; Rev. J. Romeyn Berry, to 1857; Rev. Dr. Condit, supply, to 1858; Rev. T. De Witt Talmadge, to 1862; Rev. Joachim Elmendorf, to near the close of 1865; Rev. Jeremiah Searle, two years, when Dr. Condit again supplied the pulpit to March, 1869; Rev. Martin Luther Berger, to 1875; Rev. W. P. Coddington, supply, to November, 1876; W. P. Coddington, supply, to November, 1876; Rev. Evert Van Slyke, to 1885; Rev. R. Bethune Welch, of Auburn, and Rev. W. P. Coddington, then supplied the pulpit until the installation of the present pastor, Rev. Henry D'B. Mulford, in September, 1889.
Submitted 17 July 1998