The service preparatory to the organization of this society was held January 27, 1848, in the chapel of St. Paul's church. The parish was organized August 14, 1848; there were twenty-one communicants at the first service. The first church edifice was situated on Lock street, and was begun in 1851 and finished in 1853; it was destroyed by fire on Passion Sunday, 1891. A lot was purchased on James street, where the present handsome stone edifice was erected in 1881-82. This was the first Free Parish church in the diocese of Western New York and the second in the State of New York. Rev. Dr. Henry Gregory was rector from 1848 to 1857; Rev. C. C. Barclay, 1857-8; Dr. Joseph M. Clarke, 1858 to 1866, and was succeeded by Rev. Henry M. Teller. Charles Ferguson was the next rector from 1890, and in March, 1895, Rev. Frederick W. Webber was called to the church.
Submitted 17 July 1998