This church was built in 1866, on the corner of Park and Court streets, by Rev. James Duffy. Prior to that time the Catholics of Salina and surrounding country worshipped in the old frame church on North Salina street, opposite the site of the Academy of the Sacred Heart; this old church was built in 1829-30, Thomas McCarthy and James Lynch greatly aiding the work. It was dedicated early in 1830. The congregation being small it was visited only once a month by clergymen. The first regular pastor was Rev. Francis O'Donohue, who remained about six years, and was followed by Fathers Balfe and Drummond, and they by James O'Donnell; he remained four or five years, after which Fathers Radigan and Cartier had charge of the parish for a time and were followed by Father Michael Haes. Under his supervision the church was enlarged. He remained in charge about fifteen years, was transferred to St. Mary's and was succeeded in this parish successively by Revs. Philip Gillick, Joseph Guerdet, T. A. Mullany, Michael Hackett, Maurice Sheehan, James A. Duffy (under whose administration the present brick edifice was built at a cost of $125,000), Father Brown, William J. Bourke, and Rev. John F. Mullany, the present pastor. Since Father Mullany took charge of the parish he has erected the Church of the Sacred Heart in the town of Cicero, and St. Joseph's church in Liverpool.
Submitted 18 July 1998