Formerly Church of St. John the Evangelist. This church is an outgrowth of St. Mary's, which in 1852 had surpassed its accommodations. Bishop McClosky delegated Rev. John McMenony, assistant pastor of St. Mary's, to begin the erection of the Church of St. John the Evangelist, on the corner of Lock and Willow streets. The building was finished, and opened in 1854. Rev. McMenony officiated as pastor until 1868, when he was succeeded by Rev. Father Guerdet. He continued in the office until 1882, when the parish passed under charge of Rev. Thomas W. Reilly. During his administration the new school house, corner of Lock and Hickory streets, was erected and the Parochial School for Girls was opened by the Sisters of St. Joseph in September, 1883; the boys' department continued under charge of the Christian Brothers. Father Reilly was succeeded by Rev. J. J. Moriarity, LL.D., in December, 1883, who remained until May 1, 1887. In this year Syracuse became the seat of a new Episcopal See and on May 1 Rt. Rev. P. A. Ludden, D. D., was consecrated the first bishop of the Diocese of Syracuse. He selected this church for his cathedral, and Rev. J. S. M. Lynch, D. D., was made vicar-general and rector of St. John's Cathedral; Rev. P. F. McEvoy was appointed chancellor and secretary of the new diocese. To meet the requirements of these changes the church was enlarged and improved.
St. John's Catholic Academy was founded in August, 1887, as a Catholic High School, and was chartered by the Regents of the State of New York. A building was purchased in 1889 by St. Vincent de Paul Society, corner of Greenway avenue and Vann street, where Sunday school is held for the convenience of children in the eastern part of the parish.
Submitted 18 July 1998