This society was incorporated August 6, 1843, with about thirty-eight families. The following were chosen trustees: Henry Lammert, president; Henry Seifker, secretary; Harrison H. Rolf, treasurer; Henry Gieselman, Adam Listman, Michael Dick, Philip Dick, Peter Eurig, Lewis von Hagin and Christopher Wilker. Meetings were first held in a small frame church, corner of Butternut street and Prospect avenue, opposite the site of the present church. This building was subsequently removed across the street and was burned in the fall of 1860. The present church was built in 1860-61, and cost about $12,000; it was remodeled in 1880, towers were erected and chimes put in at a large expense.
Submitted 17 July 1998