This society...was one of the results of the activity following the Centenary of American Methodism. It was organized in 1867 with only nine members and the early meetings were held in dwellings. In 1868 a small chapel was built on the corner of Chestnut and Fayette streets, and late in the same year the society was organized with about thirty members. Rev. C. P. Lyford was appointed pastor while he still officiated in the First M.E. church. A year later he was succeeded by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, meetings now being held in Seager Hall. During this year the present church site was purchased for $7,000, and in 1870 Rev. Mr. Lyford was again appointed pastor. During his ministration a chapel was built and the church building so far advanced that meetings were held in the basement. When the structure was finished its cost was about $50,000.
Submitted 12 July 1998