EARLY HISTORY OF TRINITY CHURCH, FAYETTEVILLE
Town of Manlius
From“The Gospel Messenger,” June 1908
But four parishes in Onondaga County antedate in point of organization, Trinity Parish, Fayetteville. On Thursday, December 2nd, 1830, the male members of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Fayetteville and vicinity met in the Presbyterian Meeting House in that village for the purpose of organizing a Church. The Rev. James Selkridge [Selkrig] presided, and Jacob R. Depuy and Schuyler Pulford were elected Wardens; and Reuben H. Bangs, Caleb Whitford, Charles Coats, Albert Neely, Abel C. Bliss, William M. Redfield, George L. Taylor and Hicks Worden were elected Vestrymen. The meeting, by resolution, provided that the Church should be known as Trinity Church, in consideration of a donation by Trinity Parish of New York of $400.00, and windows, doors and Chancel and other furniture for a Church building; which said materials were conveyed from New York to Fayetteville by canal boat. One of the vestrymen elect giving the use of his boat for that purpose and making the trip himself. A Church edifice was thereafter erected calculated to meet the needs of the society, and on September 1st, 1831, Bishop Onderdonk made his first Episcopal visitation to the parish, consecrating the Church and confirming twelve persons. It was largely through the generosity of Mr. Albert Neely that the parish became free from debt. Mr. Neely served the parish both as Vestryman and Warden. He subsequently removed to Chicago, where he died in 1857. Upon learning of his death the vestry adopted suitable resolutions in honor of his memory, which were forwarded to the GOSPEL MESSENGER for publication. Mr. Neely was the father of the Rt. Rev. Henry Adams Neely, a former Bishop of the Diocese of Maine.
The following Clergymen served the parish up to the time of the building of the new Church:
The Rev. Messrs. Amos Pardee, James Selkridge [Selkrig], A. S. Hollister, B. Northrup, Jesse Pound, G. B. Engle, Floyd Windsor, J. P. Fenner, J. M. Bartlett, William W. Hickox, M. Gallagher, S. G. Appleton, D. Pise, Jr., I. S. Townsend, Robert Horwood, Charles Wells Hayes, Edward Moyses, Henry H. Loring, H. G. Wood, Moses L. Kern and John A. Bowman. The Rev. Mr. Appleton in addition to his regular services at Fayetteville, officiated at Jamesville, Pompey, Bridgeport, Liverpool and Geddes.
On June 30th, 1870, the vestry authorized the placing of a contract for the erection of a new edifice; and as a result the present Church building was erected at a cost of $13,000. The building is of gray limestone and the interior furnishings are of black walnut. The Church contains a number of memorials, including a brass pulpit altar furnishings and ornaments, several windows and a large tower bell. The window in the Sanctuary was a gift from an organization of men in the parish, and was procured at a cost of $350.00. The first service in the new Church was a celebration of the Holy Communion, July 31, 1871, the Rector, the Rev. John Bayley, officiating, subsequently the Church was consecrated by Bishop Huntington. The Rev. C. H. Gardner succeeded Mr. Bayley as Rector of the parish, and during his incumbency a new organ was installed at a cost of $1,000.00. Since that time the following Clergymen have served the parish. The Rev. Messrs. C. J. Shrimpton, Chas. H. Tindell, G. A. Ottmann, J. B. Pittman, A. W. Ebersole, Chas. T. Raynor, C. J. Lambert, G. C. Richmond, Ernest Melville and Luther L. Weller, who has been in charge of the parish since July of last year. The Rev. Mr. Melville died very suddenly on the evening of March 6th, 1907, at the home of George Sisson, one of the vestrymen of the Church, after having attended a meeting of the vestry. Mr. Melville was buried from the Church on March 9th, with interment in the village cemetery. The Rt. Rev. Chas. T. Olmsted, D.D., Bishop of the Diocese, conducted the service, assisted by several of the Clergy of the Diocese, a number of whom were present.
In addition to the charge of the Fayetteville parish the Rev. Mr. Weller is also Missionary at Jamesville.
Submitted by Kathy Crowell, May 2001