MEMORIAL FOR MINOA'S WWI VETERANS

Village of Minoa

"The Minoa Chronicle," Winter 1997*

Submitted by Kathy Crowell


On July 5, 1924, a huge boulder was unveiled at the corner of East Avenue and Main Street.  The triangular plot, in the middle of East Avenue was dedicated as Minoa's "Memorial Park."  Attached to the stone was a bronze plaque with the names of all that served in WWI from Minoa.  The boulder was from the Hildreth farm near Green Lakes.  Herman Schepp, Russ Schepp's father, drove the truck that pulled the rock on wooden skids from Green lakes to Memorial Park.

A huge parade preceded the unveiling with over 300 residents actively participating in the event.  Every church, lodge, and fraternal organization participated in the activities.  Floats covered with flags and banner solemnly proceeded down the street to the music of Herrick's East Syracuse band and Goodfellow's Fife and Drum Corps.  Mrs. Bessie Greiner and Mrs. Grace Brown, acting marshals, riding on horses, led the parade.

It was said that all of Minoa turned out for this event.  Minoa had reason to be proud.  It had sent 50 of their sons into service to protect our country.

IN HONOR OF
THE MEN OF MINOA WHO SERVED
THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE WORLD WAR
APRIL 6, 1917        NOVEMBER 11, 1918
 
 
James Brady *Patrick Hallissy Edward Reed 
Ernest Carhart *Glen A. Moore L. A. Sanborn 
William Costello *John J. Scheuerman Harold Scheuerman 
Alvin H. Christian Clark Valentine Isadore Schmidt
Herbert Edgar Oliver Kellar Joseph Schmidt 
C. L. Eldridge Leslie Kyser John Smiley
DeForrest Farrar (Deforest) Raymond E. Lewis  Walter Soule
Henry Finney Raymond Logan Robert Sponable 
Edward Fleegel Arthur Martell Frank Stabb (Staab) 
Nicholi Galeazzi Carl Miller Henry Temple 
Joseph Gessman Abram Morrison Emmett Thomas
John Gosloski (Goloski) Vasil Naum Phillip VanAuken
Edmund A. Greiner Daniel Nolan Frank VanEver 
Daniel Harrigan Malvern Noxon Luggi Vecchiarello 
John Jullo James Edward O'Brien Charles Warner 
Charles Kearns John O'Donnell  Walter Wiley 
Jesse Wood John Wood 
*"The Minoa Chronicle" is published in January, May and September by Norma Jenner, Bob Kinsella, Bev Petterelli and Loretta Sturick, and is available at Green's Hardware Store, the Minoa Public Library, and the Village Office, Minoa and at Brownell's Printing, Eastwood.


Submitted 9 June 1998