postcard postmarked January 1913; Wm. Jubb, Syracuse;
made in Germany.
The original Alhambra,
built in 1884
as a skating rink at the height of the roller-skating craze, burned on 20 December 1899. This
the “new” Alhambra, built
at 267-279 James Street,
was completed in 1900 as Syracuse’s
answer to New York City’s Madison
It was the place for political conventions, concerts and music
social events, and boxing matches (when the Alhambra
was known as “the James Street
hall of swat”). “Kid Dyke” (Tony Rexin), Freddie Sallus, Tiger Perry,
Odell, and many other local boys fought there in the heyday of
amateur boxing (late 1920s-early 1930s). This building also suffered a
fire on 13 November 1947,
and then fell into
undated postcard (divided back, circa 1917/World War I); Randolph
reads: “Bird’s eye view, Camp
undated postcard (divided back, circa 1917/World War I); Randolph
reads: “Eating chow on wood pile, Camp
Handwriting on the back of the card reads:
“These are the kind of dishes we use but we eat in the
Every body washes his own dishes.”
postcard postmarked September 1918; Randolph Bros., Art Publishers, Syracuse.
Caption reads: “Washing dishes, Camp
Image from penny postcard postmarked October 1906, Souvenir Post Card
Caption: “4451—City Hall, Syracuse,
N.Y.” Shows Syracuse’s
building (built 1892-1894? of Onondaga limestone) located on East
Washington Street with its sign visible from
passing trains: “Syracuse Bids You Welcome.” This building is still in
use and was
placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Postcard, Community General Hospital.
When my sister was born there in 1964, this hospital was called
Hospital in the Town of Onondaga, County of Onondaga, and was a
hospital, having opened its birthing center in 1961. The back of this
is postmarked 1973 and the printed caption reads: “Community-General
of Greater Syracuse, Broad Road,
Syracuse, New York 13215.
Modern 300-bed general hospital; completely air-conditioned with
room controls; one and two-bed rooms only; each patient has bedside
television and telephone; electrically operated beds; nine operating
Medical, Surgical, Maternity, Pediatric and Emergency services.” Today
known as Community General Hospital of Greater Syracuse, 4900
Broad Road, Syracuse, NY
Unused “linen” postcard (c. 1934-1945), Wm. Jubb Co., Syracuse,
with caption: “Onondaga County Court
House and Columbus Monument,
This is a view of the fourth Onondaga County Courthouse, built on St.
Circle (today known as Columbus Circle
after the bronze statue of Christopher Columbus erected there in 1934).
building opened in 1907, replacing the smaller, “old” courthouse on Clinton
Image from unused
penny postcard (undivided back – c. 1901-1907?) showing a
New York Central Railroad train coming eastward along Washington
Street (photographed from near the front of
Hall). The S&K Building
(looks like a “Flatiron” building) can be seen after it grew from four
stories in 1894. A loaded Crouse-Hinds’ factory “horseless carriage”
Unused postcard, undated (divided back; probably c. 1910); Wm. Jubb, Syracuse;
made in Germany.
Caption reads: “D. L. and W. R. R. [Delaware,
Penny postcard postmarked September 1905; National Art Views Co.
Syracuse, N. Y.” At
its 22 August 1900
monument was installed at the intersection of North Salina,
Butternut, and State Streets, in the midst of Syracuse’s
Northside German community. Philip (Philipp) Eckel was one of Syracuse’s
prominent German pioneers. He was a German immigrant, a Civil War
veteran, and Syracuse’s
Fire Chief at the time of his death on 1 June 1886 (he was thrown from a horse-drawn
vehicle while on his
way to fight a blaze). For more information on this monument see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mstone/eckel-p-mon.html
Penny postcard postmarked October 1906 showing Hanover
Square, Syracuse, N.Y.
Hanover Square is
triangle, and was once the city’s commercial and entertainment center.
of the 1800s this open space was a gathering place where carriages for
congregated. Civil War soldiers were recruited here, and thousands
here to hear the memorial services for Abraham Lincoln when his funeral
stopped here briefly on its way to Springfield,
Four-cent postcard postmarked July 1959 of the Niagara Mohawk Power
Corporation, General Offices, Syracuse,
N. Y. Remainder of the caption on the back of the postcard reads: “These offices are part of a service center
occupying approximately 4 acres in the heart of the city. The company
large part of upstate New York
extending from the Niagara frontier to the New
England states and north to the Canadian border. Its tower
an imposing figure in steel symbolizing Electric Power.” Wm. Jubb Co.,
Penny postcard postmarked November 1916 by Randolph Bros.
showing the “Produce Market, Syracuse,
This was the gathering spot known as the farmers’ market on the
Syracuse in the early 20th century. Farmers from around the area would
their produce and wares here to sell.
Rudolph Bros. postcard (divided back, probably c. 1910), unused, No.
captioned “North Salina Street, Syracuse,
New York” (from the horse
Rudolph Bros. postcard (divided back, probably c. 1915-1917), unused,
“North Salina Street, Syracuse,
N. Y.” (from the trolley car and Model T era).
Two-cent postcard postmarked August 1931, no. 120, published by Miller
Co., Syracuse, N.Y. Captioned “North Salina Street, Syracuse, N.Y.” it
the view looking north up North Salina Street from Clinton Square. The
House can be partially seen at the left; the Syracuse
is in the foreground, right (with green peaked roof).
Unused penny postcard, undated (divided back circa 1915), The Hugh C.
Co., Manufacturers, Portland, Maine;
made in Germany
no. 7449; caption reads: “Syracuse,
N.Y. New York Central R.R.
from the horse and wagon era?).
Unused, undated penny postcard (divided back, front border era,
caption reads: “Train sheds, N. Y. C.
Depot, Syracuse, N. Y.”
Central Railroad depot photo from horse and buggy era).
undated penny postcard (divided back circa 1915), with caption: “Swimming Pool, Old Reservoir, Syracuse,
N. Y.” When the Woodland Reservoir opened on South
Geddes Street in 1894, the old Wilkinson
was no longer needed to supply Syracuse’s
drinking needs. In 1898 the 71 acres around the Wilkinson Reservoir was
by the city to form Onondaga
In 1903 more wooded land (the Olmstead Grove) was acquired and became a
picnic area near the old reservoir that is still in use today. In 1911
Wilkinson Reservoir was renovated and renamed Hiawatha
Lake. Today it is the
of Onondaga Park
on the southwest side of Syracuse.
Penny postcard postmarked August 1930 (Colorchrome/Syracuse News Co.
123392), with caption: “Salina Street,
looking north from Onondaga Street,
N. Y.” Shows Conley’s Men’s Shop, Empire Theater, Optimates Cigars,
and Model Ts.
postcard (c. 1930-1945) with one-cent stamp, postmarked May 1947 (Wm.
no. E-6771), with front caption: “South Salina
looking north, Syracuse,
N. Y.” Caption
on back of card reads: “This view of Salina
Street intersecting Jefferson
Street shows the center of the shopping and
theatre district.” View shows Loew’s State Theater on the left, Dey
store on the right.
postcard (c. 1930-1945) with three-cent stamp postmarked January 1960
Co., no. 12; 73084). Caption on front of card reads: “South
Salina Street, Looking South, from Fayette
Street, Syracuse, N.
Caption on the back of the card reads:
Street – This
is one of the busiest and widest intersections in the city. It shows
principal retail shops and the theatre section of the city.” The view
W. Woolworth Co. on the left side; Walgreen’s Drugs on the right side;
State Theater down the right-hand side of the block, and the Chimes
Building at the far
card, undated and unused (circa 1945 or 1950, from the automobiles?)
Photo Service/ Plastichrome); caption reads: “Salina
Street looking north from the Chimes Bldg., Syracuse,
N. Y.” View shows the Astor Theater,
O’Shea’s, Fleischman’s, Howard, and Loew’s State theater on the left;
Haggerty, Fanny Farmer candy store, Brannock parking on the right.
postcard, undated (divided back; probably c. 1911-1917); Wm. Jubb, Syracuse.
Caption reads: “Geothe [sic; Goethe] and
Syracuse, N. Y.” This
commemorates two famous German writers and was erected in Schiller
Park by the Syracuse’s
German/German-American community in 1911. It was dedicated to
German ancestry on 5 October of that year. It is a copy of a monument
in 1857 by sculptor Ernst Reitschel (1804-1861) of Johann Wolfgang von
and Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805), regarded as Germany’s greatest
The original monument was erected in 1857 in Weimar,
Saxony, and has since become a national
Schiller and Goethe were greatly admired in the United
States as well. There are similar
this monument in San Francisco, California’s
Golden Gate Park
(erected in 1901), in the German
in Cleveland, Ohio
(erected 1907), and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s
(dedicated in 1908). Schiller
was very popular in the U.S.
as a literary figure in 1905, the 100th anniversary of his death.
(previously known as Round Top Park and encompassing what was
Cecelia’s Catholic Cemetery) received its name officially on 3 July
more information see http://www.takeahike.org/Schiller.shtml
Unused penny postcard, undated (divided back c. 1911-1917), Randolph
reads: “413 Soldiers
and Sailors Monument,
N. Y.” This monument commemorating Civil War soldiers and sailors was
in June 1910 in Clinton Square
at the edge of the Erie Canal. In this view the
courthouse (with flag) and the Empire House (and Electric Railway
the far right can be seen on the north side of Clinton
Square (today this block is entirely filled
offices and plant, completed in 1971). In 1925 this
section of the Erie Canal was filled in and
known as Erie Boulevard.
The sign on top of the building at left (next to West
Genesee Street) reads “Peck’s Clean Coal /
Under the Bank Clock.”
Image from penny postcard postmarked September 1906, H. L. Woehler, Buffalo,
N.Y. & Dresden Germany. Caption:
“712 – State Fair, Syracuse,
The New York State Fair is the
oldest, and was first held in Syracuse
in 1841. It has been held there annually since 1890.
postcard postmarked September 1910, Published by Ralph Finney, Times
Station, N. Y.
“General View of Midway, Syracuse Fair, Syracuse,
N. Y. (32198)” This view shows Syracuse’s
solar salt flats in the distance behind the Wild West show on the right.
penny postcard, undated (divided back c. 1911-1917), no. 44844
Vanbenshoten & Countryman Inc., Syracuse, N.Y. Caption on the front
card reads: “Change-Making: The silver half-dollar is the only
the State Fair. This picture shows where the exact change is made. The
Fair represents business life. The change booth is typified by the
Business School where young people are trained and prepared for
business life. The Central City Business School issues a very
catalog which will gladly be sent [to] prospective students. Address 438
S. Salina St., Syracuse,
“linen” penny postcard from 1939 (A “Colourpicture” Publication, Cambridge,
Mass., no. 10895). Caption on
the card reads: “Entrance Gate to the State Fair” and caption on the
reads: “The Agricultural and Industrial Exposition, showcase of the Empire
State, attracts nearly
people from Central and Upstate New York annually. New
Aug. 26-Sept. 9, 1939.”
Unused, undated “Plastichrome” postcard from before July 1963 (when
Zip Codes began to be used); probably from late 1950s (from autos in
Publishers / Charter Photo Service, P12667). Caption reads: “The State
Syracuse, N. Y.
office building and a downtown ‘landmark.’ Many Syracusans can remember
visiting their doctors, dentists, lawyers, and insurance brokers in
building. Located at 109 South Warren Street,
it was built in historical Hanover Square
in 1927-1928 of concrete and steel with a facade of limestone and
It cost $1,500,000 to erect, and at 21 floors, it is still Syracuse’s
tallest office building.
postcard postmarked March 1908, published by Raphael Tuck & Sons;
No. 2025, “Syracuse, N. Y.”
N. Y. Bird’s-Eye View.” The church pictured on the left, built in 1884,
known as St. Paul’s Church
today called St. Paul’s
Cathedral, and is still located at 310
Montgomery Street at the corner of East
Fayette Street). The home of the Syracuse
Herald newspaper can be seen at left.
Unused, undated penny postcard (divided back c. 1911-1917), no.
published by Rudolph Bros. Art Publishers, Syracuse.
Caption on the front of the card reads: “Empire State Express passing
N. Y.” The famous Empire State Express of the New York Central Railroad
passing west on Washington Street
past Syracuse’s City Hall,
sign: “Syracuse Bids You Welcome.” The S&K
Building on the far
four stories high in this view (before the other three stories were
1894?). On the right is seen the Edward Joy Company.
Unused, undated penny postcard (c. 1905?), published by The H.
New York; made in Germany.
Caption on the front of the card reads: “N. Y. C. Train, passing
of city, Syracuse, N. Y.” Syracuse
was famous as the city where trains ran down the center of the downtown
streets. The view shows an old-fashioned trolley car (far left) and
signs reading “Syracuse Engraving Co./Photo-Engraving,” “W. R.
Vinney Co.;” “Bower & Perry;” “C.L. Amos
Company;” and “Baseball To-day.”
Unused, undated postcard (no. 12777, no publisher data, divided
border era, 1916-1930, probably c. 1920s, dating from autos in the
Caption reads: “Vanderbilt
Square, Syracuse, N.Y.”
along East Washington Street
and Warren Streets, was named after Cornelius Vanderbilt, the railroad
and millionaire whose New York Central Railroad “dominated Washington
Street for 100 years.” Everything in Vanderbilt
Square became coated with soot from the
locomotives running down tracks in the middle of the street. The red
building on the corner, front right, is the White
built after 1895 (it is still standing and refurbished today).
postcard postmarked February 1954, Ektachrome/Dextone E-67040 published
Marks & Fuller, Inc., Rochester, N.Y.
Caption reads: “Memorial Hall Entrance, Onondaga County War Memorial, Syracuse,
New York.” Built in (1951?),
located on Montgomery Street
near Madison and today is
the War Memorial at OnCenter. It serves variously as a sports arena,
hall, theater, and ice rink, with seating for up to 8,500 people (Jimmi
played there in 1969).
Two-cent postcard postmarked February 1954,
Ektachrome/Dextone 66530 published by Marks & Fuller, Inc., Rochester,
N.Y. Caption reads: “Memorial
Onondaga County War Memorial, Syracuse,
N. Y. Through its doors, grateful Americans pass to pay homage to the
dead—soldiers, sailors, marines, coast guardsmen, airmen, nurses, whose
are inscribed on bronze tablets in memory of their heroic and selfless
sacrifice. The theme of the World War I mural symbolically depicts the
victorious conclusion of the conflict in reference to the command
voiced in the
final lines of the poem, ‘In Flanders Fields.’ The mural is the work of
Trimm, distinguished Syracuse
artist.” (The final lines of “In Flanders Fields” are these: “Take up our quarrel with the foe: / To you
from failing hands we throw / The torch; be yours to hold it high. / If
break faith with us who die / We shall not sleep, though poppies grow /
Image from a stereoscopic card, no date (c. 1900?). American Scenery,
“Court House, Syracuse, N.Y.”
This building was the “Old”
(third) Onondaga County Courthouse on Clinton Square, Syracuse, New York,
in use (for naturalizations and other legal processes) from 1857 to
was replaced by the current (fourth) courthouse on Columbus Circle. This building was torn
down in 1967.