Submitted by Joylette Spencer
'South Onondaga and Vicinity to 1904,' by W.W.Newman, Clerk of the Board of Trustees since 1879, and since 1885 Superintendent of the Indian Schools of the Onondaga Reservation.
Methodist Episcopal Church organized about 1816. In 1827 Rev. E L. North came to South Onondaga and organized a class of society with 13 members, Volney King and wife, Leonard Hodgkins and wife, Wilson Newman and wife, J. Owen Seely and wife, and others.
This society joined with the Presbyterians and Universalists and built a union church in 1827.Lyman Kingsley was the builder. In 1834 the M. E. church sold their interest in the union church and built a brick church where the church now stands.
The next day the trustees bought of Gideon Day and his wife, Lucinda one-half acre for $100 for a site for the church.
Feb. 11, 1834, Zina Chapman and Abner Chapman contracted with the trustees "to build the walls of a meeting house with brick, the house to be 42 by 31 feet,--the walls to be one foot thick and twenty feet high--the underpinning to be of stone eighteen inches above the earath and to be sunk two feet beneath the surface of the earth,--to lath and plaster said h ouse and all to be done in a workmanlike manner. Consideration $635.
At the same time the trustees contracted with Joseph C. Kenyon to furnish materials and do the wood work, painting, floors, pews, gallery, etc for $665. Making the total cost $1300.
Bellfry and Bell were added a few years later. "G. Sharp, 1850 Meeneely, Troy", is part of the casting.
Externally two stories of windows; internally on the first floor, four rows of pews with two aisles next the outer pews with two rows of pews between; a gallery approached by two stairways with two sets of side pews and a half dozen rear pews; a stove in each base floor corner with two pipes meeting in one; a pulpit with two stairways from which pulpit midway between base floor and gallery the minister could address two stories of hearers; an altar in front of the pulpit for communion and sprinkling baptism or a kneeling place for anxious sinners. Such were the main features of nearly all early church edifices. About 1840 a belfry was added and a Meeneely Troy bell has called for service or tolled for the dead for about sixty years. (The book was published in 1904)
Rev. Wm. W. Ninde was the Presiding Elder and dedicated the new church. The circuit preachers were Wesley Batchellor, Darius Anthony and ---Murry.
James P. Aylworth, Alvin Torry, Calvin Hawley, Hubbard Fox, and Stephen Cobb rode the circuit previous to 1840.
In 1857 S. O. became a separate charge. The early preachers were:
The first brick church was taken down and rebuilt in 1883. The amount paid W. C. Bowen the first preacher was $375. In 1869 membership was 144. In 1897 membership was 126.
Presiding Elders of Cazenovia District
Feb. 12, 1883, Presiding Elder Benoni I, Ives gave a temperance lecture at the old church after which the trustees, the pastor, E.A. Peck and the Presiding Elder were in session till midnight considering the rebuilding of the church edifice. Following resolutions adopted. 1. That we make an effort to build a church that shall cost with $420 on from Joseph Owen Seely's will at least $4000. 2. That the pastor proceed at once to circulate a subscription to raise $2000.
Feb. 19, 1883 pastor reported that he had subscriptions tp the amount of $2250.
Architect Asa L. Merrick of Syracuse was employed.
June 2, 1883, corner stone was laid in charge of Presiding Elder Benoni I. Ives.
Cash contributions by more that 150 individuals in 1883,84,85 for the new church with the number of dollars given by each person, Names aophabetically arranged.
Leonard Annable, $10, Porter H. Amidon, $5, Abel Amidon of Syracuse, $10, A. Fayette Amidon, $25, George Anderson, $50. Hattie Anderson $50, Mrs. George Anderson, $10, George W. Anderson, $25, Warner C, Abbott, $10, Wm. Abbey, $120, Mrs. Charles Alexander, $5, Benjamin F, Aldridge, $340. Phebe Bradley, $315, Lafayette G. Bronson, $25, J. F. & M. C. Beach, $50, James P. Budlong, $25, Wm. H. Budlong, $20. Holden Budlong, $20, Alexander Browning, $25, Mrs. Alexahder Browning, $5, Welcome Browning, $55, Mrs. Welcome Browning,$5, Lemuel D. Burt, $15, Mrs. Lemuel D. Burt, $5, Master Elmer Burt, $5, Fred J. Burtis, $5, Peter Burns of Syracuse, $10, Jennie E. Beebee, $5, Mrs. Fred Betts, $5. George Chapman, $5, Clinton Comstock, $5, Mary C. Chapman, $55, Dr. George T. Clark, $100, Elisha Cole and wife, $190. Mrs. Frank Darwin, $5, Moses M. Dwelle, $25, Angeline Day, $20, Martin and Victory Day. $300. Albert Everingham, $50, Olive Everingham, $55, Kittie Everingham, $5, Charles Evans, $5, Mrs, Miranda Evans, $5, George H. Ellis, $50. Master Max T. Fowler,$5, Maxwell T. Fowler, $T350, Samantha C. Fowler, $60, Gad Fellows of Navarino, $5, Wm. L. Fisk, $25. Mrs. Wm L. Fisk, $25, Elias B. Fenner, $45, James T. Fenner, $25, Truman Fenner, $5, Henry C. Fellows, $15, Mariette L. Fellows, $10, Silas C. Field, $25, Leonard P. Field, $25, Waterman Field, $50, Moses Fowler, $100.
George Green, $5, Mary A. Goodwin, $25, Helen M. Griffin, $25. Mrs. Hannah Hubbard of Camillus, $10, Leonard Hodgkins, $5, Ella Hodgkins, $5, Charles H. Hodgkins, $100, Benj. F. Hulbert, $290, J. Adelbert Hulbert, $50, Elvira M. Hitchings, $200, Lyon, Mann, and Hunter of Syracuse, $20, Hon. Francis Hendricks of Syracuse, $10, Hon. Frank Hiscock of Syracuse, $20. Mr. Lois Jerome, $60, Mrs. Wm. Jones of Cardiff, $20. Stella Kneeland, $100, Mrs. Miriam D. Kneeland, $200. Dr. Jonathan Kneeland, $75, Mrs. Dr. Kingsley $25, George T.King, $50, LeRoy King $40, Master George King, $5, Mary E. and Ellis V. King of Tully, $10, Burnett Kenyon, $5, Augustus C. Kenyon, $50, Enoch Kenyon, $25, Hon, George N. Kenndedy of Syracuse, $10. Ralph E. Lord, $70, Charles G. Lathrop of Onondaga, $10, James Leamy, $5. Harrison Mason, $5, Caleb Mason, $10, Nelson Moseley, $5, Dr. Wl H. Maynard, $10, George L. Maynard of Wyracuse, $10, Asa L. Merrick, architect, his fees, $50, Charles and Montgomery Merrick of Syracuse, $10.
Libbie E. Newman, $10, Wm. W. Newman, $275, Rev. E. L. Newman, Lucelia S., his wife and Lucenia Ripley her twin sister, all of Rochester, $500, John W. Newman, $5, Rev. Eben L. North, $5, John E. North of Syracuse, $10, George C. Nichols, $20, Thomas Nichols, $5, Oliver Nichols, $100, George and Obed Nichols, $25, Wm. Nichols, $25, Wm. H. Nichols, $5, Joseph Orr of Camillus, $25, Hannah Olds, $50. Daniel Pinckney, $125, Mrs, Electa Pinckney, $50, Matie Pinckney, $10, Gilbert Pinckney, $150, Gilbert Pinckney, II, $20, Frank Presley, $50, Wm. H. Palmeter, $20, J. Ives Parsons, $100, John B. Parker, $25, Gaspar Parks, $10, Mrs. G. Parks, $10, Martha Parks, $15, Martha Peterman, $10, Rev. E. A. Peck, church pastor, $20, John Padbury, $75, George Padbury, $5, Alfred Presley of Skaneateles, $25. Olmstead Quick of Syracuse, $25 Edwin Rodgers, $5, Mrs. W. D. Rockwell, $5, Henry Rich, $25, Hollon Rich, $25. Sunday school, $40,Joseph Owen Seeley's will $420, Mrs. George W. Shotwell, $100, old session room sold, $60 Mrs. Rachel Underhill, $50, Rev. J. K. Underhill, $10. Mrs. Mary Whitford, $5, Mrs. Antrim Williams of Syracuse, $5, Charles Wilcox $5, Abbott Wilcox, $15, Forest G. Weeks of Skaneateles, $10, Frank A. West, $200, Mrs. Frank A. West, $50, Corydon R. West, $100, Mrs. Corydon R. West, $25
Other items made the cost of church besides land, brick, stone, bel, etc., on hand a little over $7500 or a total value of at least $8000.
It does say in a footnote that in less than a year the whole idea came about and the church was left with no mortgage or church debt. But the times were prosperous and the whole community were enthusiastic.
LIST OF SOUTH ONONDAGA MEMBERS
Mrs. A. A. Griffin, now in her 85th year, living next to the parsonage on the west, has been a very good friend of the parsonage household. A few years ago the pastor was made comfortable by a new overcoat and suit of clothes from this generous lady. The same pastor having a large family, and being distressed for means, was presented at one time by Mrs. Griffin with $300 in greenbacks. During Rev. E.W. William's pastorate Mr. Griffin was calling at the parsonage residence, and seeing its dilapidated condition said, "If you will put on an addition I will give $100 toward it." Afterwards she said she would give another hundred if they would raise the wing another story, which was accordingly done.
THE VILLAGE RESERVOIR
Many, many years ago a South Onondaga village merchant had an "unpleasantness" with the hotel keeper across the highway, and the merchant was forbidden the by-everyone-used privilege of the reservoir water brought by village contributions to the reservoir over a well just inside the hotel real estate lines. Afterwards the merchant bought the hotel and the spring right, and sold the hotel but not the spring. I suggested to Olmsted Quick and wife, then living in Syracuse, that they deed said spring in trust for the village use to the only corporation in the village except the school district entitled to hold real estate. This they very willingly did. So those animals and people who drink reservoir water can decide that they use Methodist white whiskey or Adam's Ale.
OFFICERS OF EPWORTH LEAGUE
SUNDAY SCHOOL OFFICERS
OFFICERS "LADIES AID"
OFFICERS OF W.H.M.S.
The previous records were compiled by the following committee appointed by the board of trustees;
Although public or common schools were generally maintained yet the public money was so small that rate bills were universally used and every parent, except the exempt poor, had to pay something for every day that every child attended. Therefore private or selected schools were every winter in South Onondaga charging $3.00 to $4.00 for twelve weeks attendance. Among the teachers of such schools that the compiler of this pamphlet remembers are Messrs Grandin, Ostrander, Pomeroy and Wm. Jerome. The writer also taught a select school in the upper story of the present store and post-office building in the winter of 1839 and 1840.
Since that date free public schools have caused the death of nearly all so-called select schools and nearly all our academies.
In 1827 the wood for four months was bid off for $4.37 ½. In 1839 there was a receipt for $18 for which the signer promises to furnish the school with wood for 5 months.. In 1840 it was $18.50, in 1842 the price dropped to $14.90 and in 1845 it was $10.88.
School was kept in 1845 for four months by a duly qualified teacher and in all by different teacher 8 months at a cost of $23.78. In 1828 there is a record that the winter school be kept 4 months by a qualified teacher at $12 per month. On April 15, 1829, summer school was to be kept by a woman teacher at 9 shillings per week,---a little less that 23 cents a day.
In 1831 they voted to pay $280 for land and building a schoolhouse 30 by 24 feet, with 10 feet posts, to be built of wood and painted, and the "riting benches" to be on the wall of the house and desks to be similar to those in the old house. After several other meetings and changes of mind they finally on Nov. 2, 1831 ordered a brick house 28 by 22 , 8 feet between the joists, at a cost of $294. All but 2 of the 21 voters present voted against the new school.
A teacher, Walter Jerome in 1834, in his receipts spells twenty-"too" and "tenn dollars". William Jerome, who taught the next year, writes well but omits the c in school.
On Oct. 5, 1829, it had been voted to raise $2.00 to repair the schoolhouse; and 1835, $1.50 and in 1843 $1.00 In 1836 the man teacher got $15 a month, and the woman teach 10 schillings a week. The same wages were paid in 1837 to the man, but one woman got 12 shillings and the other 10 shillings.
On Dec. 3, 1841, it was voted to have "two backhouses, 41/2 by 6, double-boarded and sided, with pattin doors, the walls to be 6 feet plank, painted red, corners and casings to be white." This is significant when compared with the statement in the report of the state superintendent for 1844 that of 9,318 schoolhouses in new York, 6,000 had no out-houses, and only 1,000 had two.
In 1844 it was voted to hire a woman teacher for the winter school, and that a sufficient amount of the library money be apportioned to purchase a map of the United States and a map of New York for the schoolroom.
In 1845 the trustees employed a woman to teach 5 months at $12 a month in the winter. William Jerome to teach five months in the summer at $12 a month. Also they had received $12.29 library money and paid out for maps and blackboards $5. Wood this year was $10. There was a bill for 1 large globe $10, 1 map of New York $1, 1 map of Europe $2.25 1 map of North America 56 CTS. 1 numerical frame 88cts; 1 district ledger 62 CTS.
Oct. 5, 1846 the district voted: "Resolved, that the patrons of the school district No. 21, Onondaga, recognize in Miss Williams a thorough, efficient and successful teacher, and that she is entitled to the high respect and lasting gratitude of the district for the capable, energetic and persevering manner in which she has conducted our school the past summer.
"Resolved, that the trustees be instructed to secure the services of Miss Williams to teach or school for the next summer."
This Miss Williams became the wife of Mr. Newman, who brings this book to us, and who was afterward principal of the school; then principal of ward schools in Syracuse and Buffalo; afterward school commissioner; and is now superintendent of the Onondaga reservation school.
In 1849 the price of wood was $12, and the same in 1850.
In 1850 they were considering whether or not to hold school for 10 months. Two teachers were Miss Lewis and Miss Newport. Also it was voted not to let any scholars attend our school who do not belong to the district.
In trustees report for 1851 the textbooks listed were the Sanders readers, Webster's speller, Thompson's, Coleman's and Davies's arithmetics, Brown's and Allen's grammars, Mitchell's geography, Comstock's philosophy, Davies's algebra, and Sanders's pictorial primer.
Miss Lounsbery began school April 21, 1851, at $2.50 a week, but in 1852 got $3.00
In 1853, uniting the district was an issue. It was turned down at first but then district 21 was in favor of uniting with No. 35. Remarks were made by Sup't Hall, Rev. J. North, and Abner Chapman, "urging the necessity and expediency of a union school in our village." At another meeting attended by the supervisor, the town clerk, and the town superintendent, the consolidation was consummated. Dec. 12 it was voted to buy the land and to build a schoolhouse. The sum of $800 was appropriated for the same, a woodhouse attached, and "two separate necessaries for the accommodation of the schollars".
SOUTH ONONDAGA CEMETERY
Under the cemeteries of Onondaga County, there is a good summary of the beginnings of the South Onondaga Cemetery. It also includes the people buried there. The list following might be easier to go through and find a relative.
Amidon, Anderson, Annable, Abbey, Aldridge, Andrews, Abbott, Aylesworth.
Bronson, Bullard, Bradley, Bakeman, Burgess, Belden, Bennett, Baker, Budlong, Browning, Balch, Barker, Bettys, Bond, Barrow, Brown, Blanchard, Betts.
Chiverton, Clark, Chapman, Cole, Comstock, Conklin, Claus, Caines, Cornwell, Cook.
Day Dwelle, Darling, Dillabough, Doty.
Eaton, Ellis, Evns, Estes.
Fields, Fellows, Fuller, Fenner, Fowler, Fisk, Fitch, Fulford, Freeman, French
Gwilt, Gay, Griffin, Gilbert.
Higgins, Hueson, Holmes, Hitchings, Hyde, Haight, Hamilton, Hildreth, Hulbert, Hulett, Houser, Hoffmire, Hill, Horton, Hodgkins, Huntley, Harroun.
Kingsley, Kneeland, Kenyon, King, Kiehl, Kane.
Lawrence, Langworthy, Lord, Leamy, Lathrop, Lake, Lester.
Moseley, Morgan, Miller, McManus, McLaughlin, Merwin, Merrick, Mallett, Makyes.
Nichols, Norton, Newman, North.
Olds, O'Brien, Ouderkiri, Orr.
Pinckney, Pike, Patterson, Presley, Padbury, Parsons, Palmeter, Parker, Phares, Pickitt.
Rich, Revoir, Rodgers, Reynolds, Ray.
Smith, South, Slingerland, Serry, Shand, Starr, Steele, Salmons, Spencer, Sparks, Sharp, Seely, Snyder, Slater.
Walter, Williams, Wilcos, Webster, Webb, West, Wales, Wright, Walkup, Wells
Report of the number and condition of all ascertained burying places and cemeteries, past and present, in the town of Onondaga: List Town Lot 1. 80 Howlett Hill, in the rear of the meeting house, reorganized—refenced—much inproved—principal cemetery in northwestern Onondaga. 2 84 Asa Fyler—pioneer—fenced with stone and mortar wall and cut cap stone—now in ruins. 3. 85 Loomis Hill Church cemetery—fenced but neglected. 4. 100 On E. Lynch farm—removed or obliterated. 5. 103 Gen. ----Ellis—pioneer—iron fence—best of marble headmarks in limestone bases—none standing—partly removed—opposite the county poor house. 6. 104. Poorhouse farm knoll, where hundreds have been buried—sometimes using the same ground over and over. No headmarks. 7. 105 Walnut Grove cemetery at Onondaga Hill—reorganized—well card for—full of historic pioneers—one of the largest and best kept cemeteries in the town. 8. 106 At head of Hopper's Glen—1812 to 1815. Soldiers encampment, burial ground from smallpox. 9. 106 St. Agnes. Probably the only new cemetery in town organized within the last half century. It is one of the very best cemeteries in the whole county—an honor to its corporation and its Syracuse patrons. 10. 118 Jabez Webb—pioneer—on Davis Cossit's farm—removed or obliterated. 11. 119 ----- ----- on the top of Davis Cossit's farm—removed or obliterated. 12. 120 Thaddeus M. Wood—pioneer—removed. 13. 121 A. House—on a walnut tree covered knowll near the old arsenal. 14. 127 Orrin Hutchinson—pioneer—removed. 15. 127or8 Levi Pitts—on or near the Boggs farm—removed and cultivated over. 16 --- Onondaga Valley—on the Webster mile square—full of early historic names—reorganized—enlarged—now perhaps next to St. Agnes, the handsomest and best cared for cemetery in town. 17. 151 Icabod Gilbert—pioneer—owned by the family in third generation—refenced recently—neighborhood uses it now. 18. 151 Old Indian and many whites—in the forks of two roads—near the Gilbert cemetery—obliterated. 19. 152 Solomon Allen—pioneer of Balcomb's gristmill—obliterated. 20 153 John Montgomery—pioneer—neighborhood—partly removed. 21. 154 Robert Elliott—pioneer—partly removed. 22. 155 --------Jerome and others—near the stone schoolhouse—now no trace. 23. 162 C.C. Conklin—was once much used—now abandoned. 24. 163 W. H. Tilden—removed. 25. 164 Ephraim Fellows—pioneer—half in the town of Marcellus—now not used. 26. 168 Welcome Browning—nighborhood—has some care. 27. 169 Augustus Norton—pioneer—partly removed. 28. 169 Anson Johnson—pioneer—headmarks standing. 29. 170 Major Lawrence—pioneer—removed. 30 171 Warren Higley—smallpox—buried at night. 31. 172 Samuel Bronson—pioneer—removed. 32. 175 Peter B. Hull—pioneer neighborhood—has some care. 33. 178 DeGroats and Days—colored—now not used. 34. 12 of 1817 purchase—near M. E. church—neighborhood—has some care. 35. 182 John Hunt—monument, etc.—not used. 36 193 A creek side knoll in the southeast corner of A.C. Chase's farm. 37. 184 South Onondaga cemetery—four successive purchases—has almost 5 acres—is the principal cemetery in Southeastern Onondaga. 38. 196 Gilbert Pinckney—pioneer before 1800—removed. 39 200 -----Amidon—died of smallpox—buried on farm in the night. 40. 200 -----Anderson—family—removed. 41 204 Capt. Turner Fenner—pioneer before 1800—one acre—once more used than the South Onondaga cemetery—now not used. 42 208 Pine Ridge—reorganized—enlarged—the principal cemetery on the State Road in the south part of the town—greatly improved. 43 210 ----Carter—pioneer family—removed. 44. 210 Zabina Titus—pioneer—removed. 45. 211 Obadiah Nichols—pioneer—now owned and occupied by the family in the third generation. 46. 215 Elihu Wells—pioneer—reserved in the farm deeds, but trespassed on up to the headmarks and monument. 47. 219 John Hitchings—pioneer—removed. 48. 220 Gideon Seely—pioneer before 1800—neighborhood—mostly removed. 49. --- Council House Green on Indian Reservation—about one acre—fenced—has some care. 50. --- Creekside, newer Indian cemetery—nicely fenced with planed pine and painted—tolerably cared for.
South Onondaga Grange No. 830—Organized March 3, 1897
Other Charter Members:
James Adelbert Hulbert, Silas Cheney Field, Oliver Nichols, Corydon R. West, Hezekiah K. Fellows, William Wilson Newman, Maxwell Thompson Fowler, Sr., Kittie Elizabeth (Fowler) Fenner, Ellen (Merriman) Hulbert, Hester Ann (Wilcox) Nichols, Mary Newman Pinckney, Emma Olney Nichols, George Nichols, Jr., Alsina (Blanchard) Fellows.
South Onondaga Grange Officers, 1904:
Member of South Onondaga Grange, No. 830, May 1904:
Oliver Nicholas, Hezekiah K. Fellows, Evin Lincoln Fellows, Maxwell Thompson Fowler, Emerson Earl Nichols, Benjamin Franklin Hulbert, Grant G. Hitchings, Thomas Edgar Barlow, Floyd Schoonmaker Barlow, Edward Harris Hoffmire, Obed Nichols, William Harrison Palmeter, Bates Fenner, John Wilson Parker, Rev. Chas, Milton Adams, Arthur Judson, Gideon Moses Fowler, Oliver Myron Nichols, Victory Day, Daniel Bradley Pinckney, Silas Cheney Field, William Wilson Newman, James Adelbert Hulbert, Corydon R. West, George Nichols, Jr., Earl Henry Parker, William L. Bronson, Paul F. Ramseyer, Rev. Ernest W. Williams, Hester Ann (Wilcox) Nichols, Alsina (Blanchard) Fellows, Minnie Adele (Nichols) Fellows, Lillie Josephine (Nichols) Fowler, Emma (Olney) Nichols, Ellen Merriam Hulbert, Grace E. (Clark) Hitchings, Margaret Jane (Schoonmaker) Barlow, Sarah Estelle (Bedell) Barlow, Jessie Lovella (Nichols) Hoffmire, Frances (Amidon) Nichols, Melissa E. (Kenyon) Palmeter, Kittie Elizabeth (Fowler) Fenner, Dora May (Trew) Parker, Stella Maria (Prutsman) Adams, Jennie A. Judson, Flora (Browning) Fowler, Mary E. (Williams) Bowen, Mattie (Nichols) Mooney, Frances L. (McManus) Moseley, Flora (McManus) Kenyon, Grace Belle Cornish, Clara Louise Nichols, Elizabeth (Woodworth) Case, Adelaide (Chaffee) Ellis, Lilian Anderson Hulbert, Lilian Ruby Palmeter, Sarah (Bailey) Fenner, Ethel Leona Adams, Cora Belle Nichols, Etta May Nichols, Alice Williams, Margaret H. (Birch) Ramseyer.
Total 1904 members 62.
But we have lost three members by death, namely Dempster M. Pinckney, Maxwell Thompson Fowler, Sr. and George H. Ellis.
Grand Army of the Republic
Roster of officers and members of E. A. Knapp Post, Grand Army of the Republic, No. 340.
Lester Judson, Orson Y Hunt, William G. Broad, Augustus A. Holberton, Thomas Nichols, Samuel Williams, Loren M. Norton, Charles B. Cates.
Thomas John, Joseph Green, Hewlet Jacobs, Josiah Jacobs, Samuel Isaacs, Peter Elm.
William Wright, Samuel Bakeman, James Smyth, William L. Fisk, Henry F. Amidon, George W. Case, Dallas Bradley, Adam Lucas, John O'Brien, Myron Wilcox, Ezra W. Huntley, Jacob Skanadoah, Henry B. Morgan, George Herrick, Charles Lyon, Henry Powless.
Return to South Onondaga page.
Return to Onondaga County Gen-Web page.
11 April 1997
11 May 1997