County Medical Society, 1906-1956, The
Onondaga County Medical Society?, Syracuse? 1956, pg. 62.
afterwards Crouse Irving
Memorial Hospital (having merged with Syracuse Memorial Hospital),
afterwards Crouse Hospital,
now Crouse Health
Crouse-Irving Hospital dates from
1910, when a small group of doctors and citizens recognized the need
for additional modern hospital facilities in Syracuse. They
selected University Hill as the best location, and have added steadily
to their property in that area. Crouse-Irving was established
through mortgages and mortgage bonds sponsored by backers, and is the
only hospital in Syracuse not built through public subscription.
From the original 50 beds it has grown to 210 beds and 36 bassinets,
and its 1913 admissions can be compared with over 11,000 in 1954.
It has 19% of the beds and admitted 22% of the patients in the local
hospitals in 1954. 95% of its patients are from Syracuse and
Onondaga County. Total admissions to date are nearing
300,000. Its obstetric and gynecology clinics, and its emergency
room account for several thousand visits annually.
Its School of Nursing dates from 1913, and has graduated about 1,500
nurses. The Medical Staff has 98 active members; and in addition
76 community physicians are permitted to care for their private
Crouse-Irving's Women's Auxiliary and its Flower Guild of junior
members close to 2,000.
The Hospital is chartered by the New York State Board of Social Welfare
as a voluntary, non-profit institution; it is accredited by the
Commission of Accreditation of Hospitals; is a member of the American
Hospital Association, the Hospital Association of New York State, and
various regional hospital groups. It is an active member of the
Syracuse Blue Cross plan.
County Medical Society, 1906-1956, The
Onondaga County Medical Society?, Syracuse? 1956, pg. 71.
Hospital, School of Nursing
August 18, 1913, the Crouse-Irving School of Nursing was established
and a class of 20 students entered. The School was registered by
the Board of Regents of the State of New York in February 1914.
At least one year of high school was required. The course was
three years in length with a three months probationary period.
Students received approximately 507 hours of classroom instruction with
the remainder of the time spent in caring for the patients in the
hospital, excluding time off for vacations and a half-day off per week.
In November 1914, Crouse-Irving raised its requirement to a full high
school course, being, as far as we know, one of the first in the
country to adopt this standard; and the first and only in this vicinity
to demand more than the Regents requirement of one year of high school
work. The first class of 15 students graduated on September 16,
On May 7, 1918, the hospital instituted the eight-hour day, 48-hour
week for student nurses. This hospital was one of the first
hospitals in the East to inaugurate this program.
A tuition fee of $40 and a breakage fee of $10 was required in May
1919. The hospital still continued to furnish the student's
uniforms, books and maintenance.
Beginning with the class entering in 1920, the course of the
Crouse-Irving Hospital School of Nursing was to be completed in two
years. This was made possible by the 8-hour system, the advanced
entrance requirements and high standing of the pupils, and by the fact
that unnecessary and unsuitable manual work is curtailed as much as is
consistent with proper education. The two year course includes
the three months of probation and one month's vacation each year.
One interesting point in regard to educational requirements and length
of the nursing course is as follows:
1. high school graduates allowed one year of time, completing the
regular three year course, as marked out by the Regents, in two years.
2. those meeting the requirements of the Regents by having
completed one year of high school will be credited three months time,
making their training school course two years and three months.
3. those having completed two years of high school work will be
credited six months time, making their course two years and six months.
4. those meeting the requirements of the Regents by having
completed one year of high school, will be credited three month's time,
making their training school course two years and nine months.
In October 1932, the course was increased to two years and four months
and only high school graduates were accepted by the School of Nursing.
The length of the course for those students who entered in September
1937, and for all future classes was to be three years, including a
preliminary course of five months. The increase in the length of
the course made it possible for each student to affiliate for three
months' work in psychiatric nursing and a two to three month period in
The first Grand Reunion of the Crouse-Irving nurses was held on May 18,
1939. Nearly eight hundred have graduated since the graduation of
its first class in 1916. This celebration marked the 25th
Anniversary of the Crouse-Irving Hospital, School of Nursing.
On January 18, 1940, the opening of the new Educational Building, which
held three modern teaching units, a library, a recreation center and a
kitchenette, enabled the School of Nursing to accept larger classes of
At the present time, classes enter every September and the course is
three years in length. Students have approximately 1497 hours of
formal classroom instruction and the clinical experience includes
Psychiatry and Communicable Disease.
To date, Crouse-Irving Hospital, School of Nursing, has graduated 1,385
Text Source: A
Short History of Hospitals in Syracuse, SUNY
Upstate Medical University: Health Services Library:
A group of physicians and
investors led by William L. Wallace founded
Crouse Irving Hospital in 1910 entirely upon private funding to treat
everything except contagious diseases. It opened in 1912 and started
its school of nursing in 1913. Always for-profit, the building had been
designed so that if the hospital venture was not successful, it could
be used as a hotel. Until 1968, Syracuse Memorial Hospital and Crouse
Irving Hospital each operated successfully across the street from each
other, then merged into Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital. At first,
services were shared in the two separate buildings, but plans were soon
afoot to combine the physical plants. As part of the S.H.A.R.E.
campaign to modernize local health care, the deteriorating Crouse
Irving Hospital building was superseded in 1976 by the new "Irving
Unit," attached to the "Memorial Unit," the former Syracuse Memorial
Hospital, so that all services would be located under one roof at 736
Irving Avenue. The former hospital building at 820 South Crouse Avenue
was first converted to an educational building, then demolished in 1991
when the present Harry and Lillian Marley Education Center opened. In
1996 Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital became Crouse Hospital, and the
parent corporation, Crouse Irving Companies, became Crouse
Submitted 16 March 2006 by
Updated 22 April 2006 by Pamela Priest