The Hospital of the Good Shepherd,
so humbly started as the House of the Good Shepherd in 1874, with Right
Rev. F. D. Huntington, S. T. D., as its first president, has become a
pride to the city in extensive care of patients. From a wooden
three story building upon land given by Hon. George F. Comstock in
Marshall street in 1874, the building being completed in December,
1875, the property has expanded until now more than half a city block
is covered with its buildings, and it is but a matter of time when the
entire block will be occupied. Upon February 4, 1902, William B.
Cogswell gave one hundred thousand dollars to the hospital, his total
gifts to date coming close to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars,
while many substantial bequests have aided the indefatigable directors
to build a great institution, which has never drawn the line as to
color or creed. In 1885 the Syracuse Training School for Nurses
was instituted. Mrs. Q. B. Mills being the first superintendent
of the school, as she was superintendent of the hospital at that time.
Text Source: Syracuse and Its Environs, by
Franklin H. Chase, Lewis Historical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1924, pp.
One Sunday in December, 1872,
Bishop Huntington went into the pulpit of St. Paul's Church and stated
the need for the establishment of a hospital. There was but one
in the city - St. Joseph's. The story has been recorded that two
stricken Canadian women, of the established church of Great Britain,
had pleaded with the bishop, when he called upon them, for a Protestant
hospital. Upon January 28, 1873, the "Journal" had a short
account of the founding of a new charity under the name "House of the
Good Shepherd." It was the work of the Church Brotherhood and
Sisterhood of the Protestant Episcopal churches of the city. It
was first located at 99 East Fayette Street. It was "to furnish a
place of temporary refuge, nursing and care for needy persons who are
sick, suffering from accidents, or otherwise homeless or
unsheltered." It was a first rule that "any patient may receive
the visits of any minister of the gospel of any denomination, according
to the patient's own belief or preferences." In truth they were
just such rules of government as Bishop Huntington would be expected to
draft. It was Colonel Teall who offered the use of the house in
East Fayette Street, and A. C. Powell, Dennis Valentine and D. O.
Salmon were the first committee to go out and get funds for that
County Medical Society, 1906-1956, The
Onondaga County Medical Society?, Syracuse? 1956, pp. 59-60.
The Hospital of the Good Shepherd,
among the twenty oldest hospitals in the United States, was founded in
1872 by the Right Reverend Frederic Dan Huntington Bishop of the
Episcopal Diocese. Originally located at 99 East Fayette Street,
the hospital was later situated at 80 Hawley Avenue.
In 1875 the Good Shepherd Hospital moved on the hill to a new three
story wooden building on Marshall Street. This building, with a
capacity of forty beds, contained four large charity wards.
Twelve years later the first brick section of the present building was
erected and the first Good Shepherd Nurses Training Course was
organized under Dr. John VanDuyn with an enrollment of six
students. In 1880 the School graduated the first class of nurses
in central New York. The same year the hospital opened a new wing
containing two large wards for the use of private patients and an
improvised operating room.
Among the new medical students studying in the hospital in 1893 were
Dr. Frederick Flaherty, Dr. W. D. Alsever, Dr. W. L. Wallace, Dr. E. S.
VanDuyn, Dr. J. H. Kevand, Dr. J. J. levy and Dr. Theresa Bannon.
Dr. George J. Price was the Junior surgeon in the operating room.
The hospital's first intern, Dr. Floyd Burrows, was appointed in 1897.
The turn of the century found the Good Shepherd Hospital with another
new wing containing a modern operating room complete with an
amphitheater, a new nurses home, a Women's Auxiliary, a nurses' alumnae
organization and a new horse-drawn ambulance.
The Medical staff in 1901 including the most able and skillful
physicians, lecturers and masters of the time, was as follows:
Dr. Reuben Hanchett, Dr. Sergent Snow, Dr. Hatter, Dr. Belknap, Dr.
McMasters, Dr. Allen Benham, D.D.S., Dr. Johnson, Dr. Kevand, Dr.
Steensland, Dr. Saxer, Dr. Hinsdale, Dr. Heffron, Dr. Alfred Mercer,
Dr. Didama, Dr. Julient Hanchett, Dr. John VanDuyn, Dr. Mooney, Dr. I.
H. Levy, Dr. G. Griffen Lewis, Dr. Vandeboncouer, Dr. Raymond Burns,
Dr. Price, Dr. Wallace. There was an average of seventy patients
in the hospital at that time.
New X-Ray equipment was added in 1907 and two years later the Pathology
Laboratory was established with Dr. H. G. Weiskotten the first
intern. The Social Service Department was organized by Dr. John
VanDuyn in 1910. Four years later the family and friends of Dr.
H. L. Elsner equipped the Elsner Laboratory in the hospital in his
To secure a Grade A rating for its College of Medicine, Syracuse
University in 1915 assumed ownership of the hospital.
In 1917 a number of the Good Shepherd staff left for World War I with
the VanDuyn unit. One year later the East wing of the hospital
containing the Nancy Preston Smith Maternity Pavilion was opened.
The autumn of 1918 found the hospital treating almost 400 influenza
patients daily. Three Good Shepherd nurses died during this
The hospital's first resident in medicine was appointed in 1922 with
the first surgical resident arriving one year later.
In 1930 the Nurses' recreation hall was opened. Two years later
the Good Shepherd Hospital closed its obstetric and pediatric
departments, these services being consolidated at the Syracuse Memorial
In 1941 a number of the hospital's nurses and medical staff went to
World War II.
In 1943 Syracuse University organized its collegiate nurse
program. Two years later the last class of Good Shepherd Hospital
Following World War II the College of Medicine appointed its first full
time faculty to the Department of Medicine. This department,
located at the Good Shepherd Hospital, has been responsible for
extensive clinical research and a widening of the scope of diagnostic
and therapeutic resources available at the hospital.
While control of the College of Medicine was transferred from Syracuse
University to the State University of New York in 1950, the Good
Shepherd Hospital continues as a principal teaching facility of the
college under a contractual agreement between the State University and
Throughout its eighty-four year history, the fortunes of the Hospital
of the Good Shepherd have been closely interwoven with the College of
Medicine and more recently the Medical Center. In 1956 as the
Medical Center stands on the threshold of a new and greater
development, the hospital staff, lay and professional, look forward
with confidence to the perpetuation of the spirit of the Good Shepherd.
County Medical Society, 1906-1956, The
Onondaga County Medical Society?, Syracuse? 1956, pp. 70-71.
Hospital, School of Nursing
class of 6 members enter November 11, 1889. Two year
course. No special requirements. Students had to be at
least 21 years of age.
No class entered in 1900. Next class entered in 1901 and the
course was three years in length. Students worked 7 am to 7 pm
and sometimes around the clock if they were needed. If they were
called on duty during the night, they did not wear their regular duty
shoes, but wore carpet slippers. They received $8.00 a month for
their services, plus their room and board.
Classes were accepted two times a year. However, if a number of
students dropped out in a class, new students were accepted from the
next waiting list.
First day on duty they were given their uniforms and the Director of
Nurses showed them how to give baths, etc. The student was then
expected to do the procedures and ask questions as they went along.
Approximately 1100 students graduated from Good Shepherd until they
merged with Syracuse Memorial as the Syracuse University School of
Nursing in 1945.
Text Source: A
Short History of Hospitals in Syracuse, SUNY
Upstate Medical University: Health Services Library:
The House of the Good Shepherd was founded in 1872 by the Episcopal
Diocese of Central New York under Bishop Frederic D. Huntington. After
existing first at 90 East Fayette Street then at 80 Hawley Avenue, it
moved in 1875 to a building (now Huntington Hall of Syracuse
University) on the southwest corner of Marshall Street and University
Avenue, where it became known as the Hospital of the Good Shepherd and
later as University Hospital of the Good Shepherd.
When Syracuse University sold
its medical school to SUNY in 1950, Good
Shepherd remained a major clinical teaching facility for medical
students. Syracuse University gradually relinquished control of Good
Shepherd to the new SUNY Upstate Medical Center throughout the 1950s,
and in 1964, when Upstate constructed its new 375-bed hospital building
at 750 East Adams Street, the name of the patient care component of the
Medical Center officially changed to University
by which it is known today. Upstate Medical Center then included a
complex of several different hospitals for teaching and patient care.
The participating hospitals were Good Shepherd, Syracuse Memorial, City
Hospital, the VA, and somewhat more loosely, St. Joseph's. Internal
Medicine and Surgery did not send house staff or students to City
Hospital, but used Good Shepherd and the VA. Until the 1960s, there
were no surgical residents at St. Joseph's.
Submitted 12 March 2006 by
Updated 16 March 2006 by Pamela Priest